Motorcyclist injured in Oroville accident

Full story: Oroville Mercury-Register

A motorcyclist remained hospitalized Friday with major injuries from an accident Thursday on Olive Highway that authorities said was caused by a driver who made a left turn directly into the motorcycle's path.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
yea whatever

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

I would like to add to officer Garrett's recomendation. Along with the jacket, invest in a good pair of riding chaps, and leather gloves. For those of us with the sense to run louder pipes on the Harley, as you aproach the intersetion rap the pipes a few times. I have seen drivers focus towards that sound (most with a suprised look on their face-oh where did that bike come from) With a vehicle at a stop sign pay close attention to the front wheel. If you see the pattern on that thing start to roll, watch out. When appraoching an intersection get you foot and hand on the brakes just in case. RIDE SAFE out there.

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

whatever, "motorcycle" does not necessarily equate to "Harley", but I do agree that a louder-than-stock exhaust can be a lifesaver to a point.

The problem comes when the exhaust is so obnoxiously loud that it causes other drivers to be startled when you "rap" them as you go by. This can cause an undesired reaction by the other driver (such as changing lanes into you).

I find Officer Garrett's comment about a headlight interesting. One would think a CHP officer would be familiar with this section of the CVC:

"25650.5. Every motorcycle manufactured and first registered on and after January 1, 1978, shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps which automatically turn on when the engine of the motorcycle is started and which remain lighted as long as the engine is running."

Which means nearly every bike on the road today will have a headlight on unless the owner has disabled that feature in order to look "cool". In which case, they should be pulled over and cited for an equipment violation.

Headlight modulators that cause a high-frequency "flicker" of the beam during daylight hours are also a good idea. They are proven to increase visibility to other drivers. Riding a street bike requires increased situational awareness, and anything done to increase visibility is a plus.
bob

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

how long have we had to ride with our head lamp on?its been a law that your head lamp had to be on in cal for the last 30 years.maybe we should turn them off so we would be less of a target.
Sailor

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Why didn't I read anything in this article about people who are driving cars need to be AWARE of motorcycle riders....THEY need to look twice before turning just like that young girl up towards forbestown that turned right in front of the the rider up there!!

MAYBE the citation should be increased two fold for starters and much more.
Yes

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

I drive up Olive Hwy every day. One of the bigest problems is that the motorcyclist are speeding & pass in no pass areas. I do not know if that is the case here but it is a big problem on this hwy.
breaking laws

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

In the past two months we have had a rash of accidents and I can see why. When I read about another motorcycle accident I wonder if it was the fool that race up on me at a stop light and stood his bike on the front wheel a foot from my tailgate?? or passed 3 three cars on the right side in a two lane downtown street? or flying in between cars on Oro Dam? I've witnessed. Both drivers of cars and motorcycles need to Think before they do stupid things.
Basic

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

I see a lot of people riding bikes in our area passing and going along cars to get head of them to reach the stop light so they can be in front to take off. A very bad practice. In oroville we have a lot of red light runners. or in reality they are lost sheep and are just following the car ahead of them. My daughter and I saw something to this effect at feather river blvd and oro dam a few weeks ago. The biker took off and threaded the needle between two red light runners. The car in the turn lane NEVER saw him. she was clueless and drove on. she missed him by inches. In this case if he had of rapt on the pipes it would of been ugly. Also he had to of seen her. So is this a new sport?
Also I see a lot of bikers with tennis or work shoes and no boots on. I have even seen a woman stutter stepping with her toe.(dragging it on the ground while taking off)
The reason bikers ride with boots. If in a accident you need the support for the ankle and the bottom of the foot. If the shoe comes off well you can loose the foot or the bottom half of the foot. It is really better to have all that leather between you and the road. I don't care what type of a bike it is.
nathan

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

the intersection definatly needs a light i live in kelly ridge and this is a high accident area
What T F

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Those driving cars need to be more alert and motorcyclists need to be more alert of cars and have a respect for the fact that this is a heavy piece of machinery that can render them to bits. Everyone needs to respect the road and their fellow drivers.

I confess I didn't do my research before posting this, but I can't imagine that all of that riding on the divider line to weave between and ahead of traffice, as if to say, "Haha, I don't have to wait my turn like you, car!", can not be legal.
crazy drivers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

I have recently had the same experience as others who have posted here. I drive up Washington then Olive Highway, then Oakdale every day after work. On Weds, I was in the head at the Oro Dam/Washington/Olive Hwy intersection and a motorcycle came up next to me on the right and pointed the front of his bike at my right headlight as if to say, "I'm going first, so step down!" The next day, near the same time, I come across this reported accident at Oakdale and Olive Hwy. I don't know whether it was the same rider or not, but after reading the next day about the accident, I recognized the name. Tyler was in pre-school with my daughter years ago. I hope and pray he recovers and that he and other bikers realize how invisible they are AND how they all need to respect, not only the rules of the road, but common courtesy as well. Be safe out there everyone.
crazy drivers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

And I should clarify....ALL drivers need to respect the rules of the road and be courteous to those around them. I didn't mean to imply that bike riders are the only ones that have that problem. I wish there was a way to edit posts :)

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

What T F wrote:
I can't imagine that all of that riding on the divider line to weave between and ahead of traffice, as if to say, "Haha, I don't have to wait my turn like you, car!", can not be legal.
Actually, "splitting lanes" on a motorcycle is legal in California. In many cases, it is not the smartest thing to do, however.

Agreed, all drivers need to be more aware of their surroundings. I don't see much hope for this, as many have a cell phone in one hand and a Big Gulp in the other.
Neil

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

yea whatever wrote:
I would like to add to officer Garrett's recomendation. Along with the jacket, invest in a good pair of riding chaps, and leather gloves. For those of us with the sense to run louder pipes on the Harley, as you aproach the intersetion rap the pipes a few times. I have seen drivers focus towards that sound (most with a suprised look on their face-oh where did that bike come from) With a vehicle at a stop sign pay close attention to the front wheel. If you see the pattern on that thing start to roll, watch out. When appraoching an intersection get you foot and hand on the brakes just in case. RIDE SAFE out there.
Get rid of those loud pipes. Isn't there a law on noise pollution.
slow down

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Neil wrote:
<quoted text> Get rid of those loud pipes. Isn't there a law on noise pollution.
Isn't there a law against MURDER? duhhhh
Saddened

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2010

Does anyone know how Tyler is doing? An update would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has any info....
What T F

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, "splitting lanes" on a motorcycle is legal in California. In many cases, it is not the smartest thing to do, however.
Agreed, all drivers need to be more aware of their surroundings. I don't see much hope for this, as many have a cell phone in one hand and a Big Gulp in the other.
Crazy! Well it seems like that should be step #1 then....make splitting lanes illegal and punish each person caught doing it. Not only does it frequently frighten those in cars, but it's also just downright rude. I wait my turn, you wait yours, plain and simple. Make them follow the same rules. The only person on a motorcycle who should be allowed to split lanes is a police officer on a motorcycle...period.

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2010

What T F wrote:
<quoted text>
I wait my turn, you wait yours, plain and simple.
Good luck with that. Most drivers I see have no concept of waiting their turn.

Take notice the next time you arrive at a 4-way stop or our beloved roundabout.

Since: Jul 09

Oroville/Chico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2010

The Roundabout...people do not seem to get it!
When you approach a round-about (here are the rules from CA driver handbook):

* Slow down as you approach the roundabout.
* Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
* Watch for signs and/or pavement markings that guide you or prohibit certain movements.
* Enter the roundabout when there is a big enough gap in traffic!!
* Drive in a counter-clockwise direction. Do not stop or pass other vehicles.
* Use your turn signals when you change lanes or exit the roundabout.
* If you miss your exit, continue around until you return to your exit.
Randy

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2012

People riding on bicycles and motorcycles need to remember to yield the right of way. Some bikers put illegal loud pipes on their bikes and assumed everybody can hear where there are until a much bigger vehicle comes along and flattens them because they cant hear sounds of possible danger over their loud pipes. Insurance companies should not insure loud pipe bikes for this very reason. It is a safety hazard for everyone actually.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Magalia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Magalia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance