REO Speedwagon

United States

#1 Jan 18, 2009
Does anyone think GE will close the factory in Madisonville?
Concerned

Redmond, WA

#2 Jan 21, 2009
REO Speedwagon

United States

#3 Jan 21, 2009
Thank you for the link. Looks like if it closes, it won't be too soon.
katiebell

United States

#4 Jan 22, 2009
People spread rumors every other day that the GE plant will close but it's been there through harder times than this and will stay open for many years to come. The recession seems to have more of an effect on the GE appliance factories than this one and I haven't seen any of them close their doors....
Query

Redmond, WA

#5 Jan 22, 2009
Hope you are right and not just naive. Nobody ever thinks it can happen in their backyard. But it does. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean you won't.
REO Speedwagon

United States

#6 Jan 22, 2009
I just wonder why some people get to work every day at this plant-some even overtime. Then there are some that might get to work a half a day twice a week. I realize there are some areas that have more work than others, but all of us need to make a living. Why don't they just lay off?
kelly

AOL

#7 Feb 1, 2009
Currently the plant is closed due to the power outtage so there is no one working at the moment. They will not reopen until safe to do so.
REO Speedwagon

Utica, KY

#8 Feb 12, 2009
Ah thanks Kelly for that information. Yeah, why would they close the plant when they can just tell people to go home due to lack of work and not pay unemployment benefits? It keeps workers hanging on day by day. Some have not even got a paycheck in weeks but can't file for unemployment.
Resonaut

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Mar 3, 2009
I work at the GE Albuquerque Plant, we have been told to "expect something" in April. The Madisonville plant is somehow in this too as it keeps coming up in meetings. What are you all hearing over there? OLO's, seros, lay-off? We already have 40 people out on voluntary and still no work in some areas, people working half-days.
Works There

United States

#10 Mar 24, 2009
kelly wrote:
Currently the plant is closed due to the power outtage so there is no one working at the moment. They will not reopen until safe to do so.
Oh Please, Marsha what ever her last name is this week, doesn't know crap about safety. She comes out to the plant floor and tells you to run a machine that is clearly not safe to do so. She needs to stick to what she knows like fake boobs and getting her nails done.
leroy

Powhatan, LA

#11 Jul 13, 2009
If they do shut it down,it is because of the Lazy Ass Workers walking around with there heads in the air..Yep close it down to much waste.
Phil

Opelika, AL

#12 Jul 29, 2009
Hi, Phil from Athens here. The only reason why these rumors are spread is due to the manipulative ways of unions, I have never seen a manure spreader throw more shit around than a worthless union. An example of such is with school systems, there was no-rumors of lay offs at all, then the unions got involved and told members they should sign a petition, talk to the state legislature, and email Mr. Obama because every teacher will be laid off and lose contracts or whatever...No layoffs were even planned, but of course the unions love to stir up the crowds. Stupid stuff, I would not be surprised if this post was started by a union rep at GE just to fire some people up and then go to work the next day talking about a presumed rumor and we should all picket. I do not think too high of Madisonville and it's home county, but I do believe in the firm foundation that GE is standing on; this company will not go under in a million years and if I had the money to make anything off of them, I would buy their stock.
Mary

Louisville, KY

#13 Nov 2, 2009
GE has the lowest stock around right now, and it is a good time to buy. Our plant in Lexington, KY was told in July that we would be closing one year from today, and that is it. It wasn't anything to do with our union because we made the concessions that GE asked for. Don't always blame unions for everything. GE doesn't want to be associated with any business that isn't "green" right now. They are closing businesses all over the US.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madisonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why is society ganging up on white males 1 hr DeeP SiX 8
Any local women dancers 1 hr DeeP SiX 6
Traditionalist Worker Party - Madisonville KY C... (Jul '16) 1 hr Exporter 24
What's going on with Logan stempian 2 hr Dude 24 1
West Noel 4 hr ThePainfulTruth44 16
Police hindering prosecution 5 hr DeeP SiX 7
walmart madisonville ky doing better in hanson? 5 hr DeeP SiX 12

Madisonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance