Ann Branson Show on TV the other night

Posted in the Madisonville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mad resident

Morgantown, KY

#1 Aug 5, 2010
I finally got around to watching the show about the Ann Branson Murder that I recorded last night. It was on the show Unusual Suspects the other night. I recorded it on my DVR and finally watched it last night. It was a great show but depicted Madisonville as a Mayberry type place haha yeah right. Did anyone else happen to catch it? I read the book and really enjoyed it. I feel for the family and have to admit I feel bad saying I enjoyed the book because I truly feel for them. I guess I mean I enjoyed the book but hate that it had to be written and the events happened. Like I said did anybody else happen to catch the show?
MadLight

Somerset, KY

#2 Aug 5, 2010
I watched it as well and my connection to the family is a bit different. I attened Tom Branson's church (he's a direct relative of Ann's)and have gotten their take on the show. As well, I read the book and like everyone else kept up with the entire thing via the paper and news on tv.

Before I give my take on it all i want to state I mean no disgrace to the MPD or the people involved. I respect what they do on a daily basis but facts are facts and this is just my opinion.

My take on the show...a crock.

First, they never mentioned that Mr. Winstead was GONE for nearly TWO YEARS. They also made it seem like it was a short time span from the last person they cleared as a suspect till they fiqured out it was possibly Russell. In the book if you remember it was a few months before they ever spoke to him. Then it was some time before they had any clue to where he'd gone to, the only thing they knew was he'd obtained a passport in Chicago. In the show they made it seem that once the last person was cleared there was hardly any gap in time before Mr.Hibbs came forward with his information. In the book (Wrote by Jack Branson) it was a a few months before that information came to light.

Also, can someone explain to me why Ben Wolcott wasn't on the show ? If you kept up with what took place via newspaper or news on tv, or have read the book you'd clearly know the REAL HERO was Ben, the one who kept this investigation alive and was in pursuit of getting Russell back in the states to stand trial. This blows my mind that they just left him out of it entirely, didn't even mention it. The only time the state police was even shown was in the pictures of them arresting Earl,(Russell's father). I dunno if Ben declined the offer to be on there or not, but at least they could've made it clear what role he played in this ordeal, to me, he was the hero in all of it !

Thirdly, they never mentnioned that when MPD initally went to the crime scene they contaminated portions of the scene. A friend of mine works for the State Police here in town at the Lab and we've talked about this at great length and he's stated that the crime scene wasn't handled appropriately. Lord Forbid that that show actually tell the whole truth and possibly make our officers look bad ! It even talked about in Jack's book this occuring.

Granted these people only had an hour of air time to put togh. a show about something that streached over a few years, but still, get the facts straight ! Like I said, i'm sticking to what i've read, and what i was told directly from that family!
Mad resident

Morgantown, KY

#3 Aug 5, 2010
Yeah the whole time frame was messed up on the show. I noticed that. It did leave out a bunch or people and facts about the case. I figured it was due to time restraints. I still enjoyed the show and was glad to see Troutman,Bean,Rager, and a few other MPD people on there. All in all I liked the show but it did leave a ton of things about Russell out that I feel should have been in there. As far as Wolcott goes I bet he did refuse. I have heard he is trying to put it all behind him. I don't know him but I do know some Branson family members and have friends that know him (or knew idk if he is still alive or anything bc idk him) and have heard he tries to keep a distance between him and anything related to the murder. I can understand that had to be traumatic to say the least!
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#4 Aug 5, 2010
I read the book.But the intro about how most of us went to church and left or doors unlocked at night was a little off the wall.

Sad to say,and no disrespect, but this wasn't our first murder in the County.
MadLight

Somerset, KY

#5 Aug 5, 2010
Mad resident wrote:
Yeah the whole time frame was messed up on the show. I noticed that. It did leave out a bunch or people and facts about the case. I figured it was due to time restraints. I still enjoyed the show and was glad to see Troutman,Bean,Rager, and a few other MPD people on there. All in all I liked the show but it did leave a ton of things about Russell out that I feel should have been in there. As far as Wolcott goes I bet he did refuse. I have heard he is trying to put it all behind him. I don't know him but I do know some Branson family members and have friends that know him (or knew idk if he is still alive or anything bc idk him) and have heard he tries to keep a distance between him and anything related to the murder. I can understand that had to be traumatic to say the least!
I'd heard the same thing about him wanting to distance himself and i respect that, but at least they could've mentioned his role and not painted "others" as the heros in all of this. Granted, they helped, but they weren't the heros. in the book it even talks about Jack making a trip to MPD, slamming his Federal Agent badge down on the Secretary's desk to get their attention that they need to "get with it" as he put it and get the ball rolling on all of what happend.
Mad Resident

Morgantown, KY

#6 Aug 5, 2010
Oh yeah when I wrote Mad Resident I didn't mean mad I meant Madisonville.

Yeah there was a ton of things like "We all go to church and kept our doors unlocked" that kind of made me laugh. I mean for one why couldn't they have just walked right in when they found her if that was true. Why call her brother to find the spare key if everyone kept their doors unlocked? Plus I did feel and air of superiority to the whole thing. Bordering arrogance about how "Good" the Branson family is with the rest of the people in the community just not quite measuring up. That irked me but then again it was a family member writing the book. Plus there is always an overcompensation when dealing with grief. I mean if you think about it they were writing about how bad a family member was so it would be natural to overcompensate to try to get the point across that the entire family is not like Russell. So when I wrote it irked me it did but I understand. I am not holding anything against them for that and I am not saying anything bad. I am not saying they are arrogant or anything negative. Just saying that got a little old in the book but I can understand why the compulsion to praise the other family members was so strong. It was a really interesting case though. Russell is a psychopath to letter. If you have ever read anything or studied psychopathy you would spy that in a split second. More like a milisecond truthfully. He is a text book psychopath to the letter. People would be amazed how many people are wandering the streets suffering from psychosis. Russell was truly one of the extreme Psychopaths. I would like to read more about him. I wish someone would publish a case study about him. Did anyone on here know Russell?
Kurious

Somerset, KY

#7 Aug 5, 2010
Something else about that show, if you paid close attention to when they showed Scott and Sean's names they had attached to them (Ret). But if anyone knows those two those guys aren't retired technically, they work for the County now. I've heard different variations to why they left MPD but being how this is "Madisonville" no one gets the full truth or any truth at all. What's the story behind that? Just wondering.
Mad Resident

Morgantown, KY

#8 Aug 5, 2010
I didn't realize that. Well they both had over 20 years of service so I guess they retired. I have known both of them for years just lost contact with both over the past 3 or 4 yrs. You know how life goes. You get busy doing other things and lose contact with people. I don't think there was anything behind it really. They both had over 20 years so I don't blame them at all. That is a STRESSFUL job! Mentally draining to say the very least. I mean very least! I hate it though because they are both great guys and did a great job.
Mr Hibbs

Dexter, MO

#9 Sep 5, 2010
MadLight wrote:
I watched it as well and my connection to the family is a bit different. I attened Tom Branson's church (he's a direct relative of Ann's)and have gotten their take on the show. As well, I read the book and like everyone else kept up with the entire thing via the paper and news on tv.
Before I give my take on it all i want to state I mean no disgrace to the MPD or the people involved. I respect what they do on a daily basis but facts are facts and this is just my opinion.
My take on the show...a crock.
First, they never mentioned that Mr. Winstead was GONE for nearly TWO YEARS. They also made it seem like it was a short time span from the last person they cleared as a suspect till they fiqured out it was possibly Russell. In the book if you remember it was a few months before they ever spoke to him. Then it was some time before they had any clue to where he'd gone to, the only thing they knew was he'd obtained a passport in Chicago. In the show they made it seem that once the last person was cleared there was hardly any gap in time before Mr.Hibbs came forward with his information. In the book (Wrote by Jack Branson) it was a a few months before that information came to light.
Also, can someone explain to me why Ben Wolcott wasn't on the show ? If you kept up with what took place via newspaper or news on tv, or have read the book you'd clearly know the REAL HERO was Ben, the one who kept this investigation alive and was in pursuit of getting Russell back in the states to stand trial. This blows my mind that they just left him out of it entirely, didn't even mention it. The only time the state police was even shown was in the pictures of them arresting Earl,(Russell's father). I dunno if Ben declined the offer to be on there or not, but at least they could've made it clear what role he played in this ordeal, to me, he was the hero in all of it !
Thirdly, they never mentnioned that when MPD initally went to the crime scene they contaminated portions of the scene. A friend of mine works for the State Police here in town at the Lab and we've talked about this at great length and he's stated that the crime scene wasn't handled appropriately. Lord Forbid that that show actually tell the whole truth and possibly make our officers look bad ! It even talked about in Jack's book this occuring.
Granted these people only had an hour of air time to put togh. a show about something that streached over a few years, but still, get the facts straight ! Like I said, i'm sticking to what i've read, and what i was told directly from that family!
I am Mr. Hibbs and I called the MPD ,early tuesday morning. Simply for the fact that he told me he had to pay an Aunt on Monday ,and his Aunt was found dead on monday! RANDY HARGIS picked me up at my home in an unmarked vehicle. I was interviewed early tuesday morning ,so you are wrong in your statement. i was never interviewed for the book.....you didnt see my name in quotes... and TOM WAS IN MY FAMILY AT ONE TIME...I did what I did so my kids would not wonder why I didnt tell what I knew till later... SO I WENT AS SOON AS I HEARD ABOUT HJS AUNTS DEATH.
BEN Friend

Princeton, KY

#10 Sep 19, 2010
I was also wondering why it never mentioned Ben Wolcott! I was friends with him and kept up with all that. Looks like they would have mentioned his name!
ID fan

Owensboro, KY

#11 Jan 27, 2011
Tonight (1-27-2011) This story was aired in an episode of Nightmare Next Door on Investigation Discovery. Glad to say Ben Wolcott got credit in this show.
WhoRutryin2be

Madisonville, KY

#12 Jan 27, 2011
I hated the other show, for the simple fact, I had to sit through and watch Scott Troutmans ugly ass face!!
Sam

Winchester, KY

#13 Jan 27, 2011
I was born in Madisonville and lived there a short while before moving to Lexington. My Mom as raised at Suthards as that was her Mom's Maiden name and my Mom Dad was a Trover...I spent many of summers as a kid in Madisonville and seems like the name Branson is familar in some way to me. Wondering why I am thinking that way. Anyone know if we are related somehow?? Faulls and Loman were Moms 1st cousins I have not been back to Madisonville since my Mom passed in 2000 and then my Aunt passed in 2001. If you have any information please help.
Red head

Madisonville, KY

#14 Jan 28, 2011
Watched it last night. Old troutman thought he was bad showing his car off and doing burn outs.. So conceded !
He bad

Gracey, KY

#15 Jan 28, 2011
Red head wrote:
Watched it last night. Old troutman thought he was bad showing his car off and doing burn outs.. So conceded !
Yeah, he think he bad. He ain't
WhoRutryin2be

Madisonville, KY

#16 Jan 28, 2011
You guys are Right!! He thinks he's something!!! WRONG!!!
HCDA

Owensboro, KY

#17 Jan 28, 2011
The true hero in solving this case and putting Branson in jail was not Ben Wolcott, but David Massamore. Like Ben, I hear David is also trying to distance himself from the case and does not like to do tv interviews.
What

Gilbertsville, KY

#18 Jan 29, 2011
HCDA wrote:
The true hero in solving this case and putting Branson in jail was not Ben Wolcott, but David Massamore. Like Ben, I hear David is also trying to distance himself from the case and does not like to do tv interviews.
You must be crazy! Massamore a hero in this? get real. There were no hero's in this. The should have been charged before he could leave the country, the death penalty option was lost because of that.
Hop co

United States

#19 Jan 29, 2011
Thought that the new one was much better show. Troutman did a wonderful job telling the story in the time slot they gave him, I just wish it could have been a 2-3 hour made for tv movie so that more of the story could have been told. Enough said about this until they decide to give us a movie deal for old hopkins county.
WatchedIt

United States

#20 Jan 29, 2011
Well I watched the show. It was pretty good for the most part. I was impressed with the layout. They showed Ben on his golf cart and Scott in his car....and for less than a minute each. Why would that bother anybody?!? That's pretty silly to be concerned over that. I liked it overall and thought Madisonville was portrayed in a good light minus the fact that we have several murders here. But that wasn't the focus of the show. The focus of the show was Ann Branson's murder and the events surrounding that. They did a good job in the less than an hour allotted minus commercials.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madisonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Peter puffer on top and bottom 17 min Willie 29
Dusty mansoncup 18 min Tree 3
Bbw 25 min Uhhmm 1
The Forbidden Fruit!!!! 1 hr mee 199
Better life 2 hr Soon to be 4
Kratom 3 hr Kkk 3
hopkins county law enforcement RAT list 3 hr Kkk 89
Golden Corral supposed to be build behind new M... 5 hr 2001Trevor 36
More from around the web

Madisonville People Search