Groveport Madison teachers get raise ...

Groveport Madison teachers get raise in new pact | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 109 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Groveport Madison teachers get raise in new pact | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Starting Tuesday, Groveport Madison teachers will receive a 1.25 percent raise under a new contract that expires in four months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Daily Customer

United States

#103 Mar 2, 2011
I guess I am overpaid wrote:
<quoted text>
what is your district I think we should all work there, you included. That does sound a little out there. I have not heard of 6% in one year. I would be mad too if I lived in that district. Remember that an average also includeds Administraitors which brings up teaching salaries, we have no control of that. But still those are some big numbers. Remember not all districts are like yours. We are now on our third freeze in 7 years, and making cuts.
Hilliard City Schools - and that average pay is for teachers only - it is currently $68,000 per year according to their web site, with an average tenure of 13.5 years. Teachers also currently pay 10% of their health care premiums with a cap of $155/month for family coverage - vision and dental is fully paid by the district.
And I fully realize that we are at the upper end of the scale. the last contract called for 3% across the board, and steps of 4%% for those eligible which was about 70% of them - years 1-15 and then 20 and 25 years. This year, they agreed to a one year freeze, in both steps and base, for which I tip my hat to them. BUT, we have a levy on the ballot in May and a new contract to get hammered out by end of summer. Based on their behavior, by both the Board and the HEA last time, I am voting no until I see the new contract. Hopefully SB5 will pass by then and the component of 20% minimum health care contribution by the teachers will be in effect. However the HEA will use that, as well as this years freeze, as a bargaining chip for higher raises - call me a cynic but I have seen it before. The Board is well aware of my feelings on that and I am not anonymous to them, nor to my neighbors. The trend is unsustainable, and the "It's for the kids" line isn't going to work this time - I almost guarantee that May levy will fail so they better come up with something reasonable if they hope to pass it in the fall. Taxpayers are tapped out!
I guess I am overpaid

Pickerington, OH

#104 Mar 2, 2011
Daily Customer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilliard City Schools - and that average pay is for teachers only - it is currently $68,000 per year according to their web site, with an average tenure of 13.5 years. Teachers also currently pay 10% of their health care premiums with a cap of $155/month for family coverage - vision and dental is fully paid by the district.
And I fully realize that we are at the upper end of the scale. the last contract called for 3% across the board, and steps of 4%% for those eligible which was about 70% of them - years 1-15 and then 20 and 25 years. This year, they agreed to a one year freeze, in both steps and base, for which I tip my hat to them. BUT, we have a levy on the ballot in May and a new contract to get hammered out by end of summer. Based on their behavior, by both the Board and the HEA last time, I am voting no until I see the new contract. Hopefully SB5 will pass by then and the component of 20% minimum health care contribution by the teachers will be in effect. However the HEA will use that, as well as this years freeze, as a bargaining chip for higher raises - call me a cynic but I have seen it before. The Board is well aware of my feelings on that and I am not anonymous to them, nor to my neighbors. The trend is unsustainable, and the "It's for the kids" line isn't going to work this time - I almost guarantee that May levy will fail so they better come up with something reasonable if they hope to pass it in the fall. Taxpayers are tapped out!
Wow I am jealous a little. I have 14% healthcare contribution and no vison and 290 on my family insurance. We are taking another freeze this year. I still hope that individual right are not taken away from us with SB5, I truely think it is all a power thing.
Daily Customer

United States

#105 Mar 2, 2011
<quoted text>
I am a math teacher at millersport..and I said you don't understand an educators day, becuase if you think I sit in my room and kids come in and that is all my responsiblity for them for the rest of the day, maybe you rethink that. Other than that STRS might not be there when I can retire. I guess you will never see SS either because US teachers don't pay into that either. I don't see your comment about Salaried Professional, and everyday privately employed person, I mean you act as if my life is all flowers and candy, I make a bunch of money and get these supper great perks...
He was responding to the faulty math used in the "babysitting" scenario, which as I posted in reply is a ridiculous argument for the teacher to have made to begin with, faulty math or not. that "teacher" is the one who brought it up though. Shame on them!
Daily Customer

United States

#106 Mar 2, 2011
<quoted text>
Wow I am jealous a little. I have 14% healthcare contribution and no vison and 290 on my family insurance. We are taking another freeze this year. I still hope that individual right are not taken away from us with SB5, I truely think it is all a power thing.
SB 5 is already going under changes to allow collective bargaining for salaries. The taxpayers need some of the provisions such as the health insurance left in since some local boards have been spineless in contract negotiations with their local unions - particularly the HCSD which to be honest, is the only one I really care about since I help fund it. Then again, all districts are going to face cuts in state funding, and as they say, stuff rolls downhill. Kasich saying no increases in state income or sales taxes does little good if he simply transfers the tax burden to the property owners, and that is what will happen if things are not addressed on a local level. We all have to live within our means.
Wine is fine

Mokena, IL

#107 Mar 2, 2011
Teachers, government workers, and politicians need to stop this madness that is going on. Our country is broke. Small business across the country is a disaster. The teachers in Wisconsin are the ignorant ones. I am ashamed of the lack of compassion they have for the taxpayers. The children are the true victims. Stop using them in your signs. You are bankrupting the country and our future. Look around and open your eyes. WE ARE BROKE.

Your pensions are a joke. Do you think you will get the working man on your side when they are fighting to keep a job that does not even have a pension? When they do not get vacations? When they are working to put food on the table? Look around and pull your heads out.

If you educate fools they become more foolish. I am ashamed to say this but that is what has happened to many of the teachers in this country. You are overpaid and don't work hard enough for your benefits. Sorry but we the taxpayers can no longer afford your stupidity and bs pensions.
unfair

Reynoldsburg, OH

#108 Mar 2, 2011
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
but they rarely live in their teaching district.
That may be true, but they have to pay taxes to SOME school district, right?
unfair

Reynoldsburg, OH

#109 Mar 2, 2011
Wine is fine wrote:
If you educate fools they become more foolish. I am ashamed to say this but that is what has happened to many of the teachers in this country. You are overpaid and don't work hard enough for your benefits. Sorry but we the taxpayers can no longer afford your stupidity and bs pensions.
You, sir, should be ASHAMED of your comment. How dare you inject your simple opinion of how hard we work! You have NO IDEA....
I guess I am overpaid

Pickerington, OH

#111 Mar 3, 2011
Wine is fine wrote:
Teachers, government workers, and politicians need to stop this madness that is going on. Our country is broke. Small business across the country is a disaster. The teachers in Wisconsin are the ignorant ones. I am ashamed of the lack of compassion they have for the taxpayers. The children are the true victims. Stop using them in your signs. You are bankrupting the country and our future. Look around and open your eyes. WE ARE BROKE.
Your pensions are a joke. Do you think you will get the working man on your side when they are fighting to keep a job that does not even have a pension? When they do not get vacations? When they are working to put food on the table? Look around and pull your heads out.
Wow you must be a navy seal or something! How hard we work, you have no clue. I am sorry you must of had one of those "educated fools for a teacher". I hope you do not have kids in a school system, because it is people like you that make our jobs as teachers hard. You don't respect teachers so neither do your kids. Your comments are not needed or wanted. Stick to something really know about, whatever job you do have.
Truth come in and see for

Westerville, OH

#112 Mar 3, 2011
The Truth wrote:
Once AGAIN the taxpayers of GM schools are being screwed. It's for the kids you know......THEIR KIDS! They want their kids to have parents that are overpaid for mediocre work & job performance. GM teachers are the biggest joke in Ohio. What happened to the teacher that took pictures of his junk with a school ipad? GM is a real classy shool district.
yourself what we deal with everyday. With parents like you nowonder why are kids are messed up!!!!!!!!!! You are a JOKE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wal-Mart meat (Jul '09) Nov 2 The meat 43
Allie sawyers Sep '17 Bams 1
Western Reserve Hardware Aug '17 Dave 1
Are realtors really helping our county? (Apr '17) Jul '17 Novasikz 2
News 100 years ago with Charlie Miller Jul '17 Big Johnson 1
Pizza Hut is FALSE ADVERTISING (Jan '10) Jun '17 22 year chef 57
Why does Citizens Band Radio Jammer W8XLR conti... (May '15) Aug '16 Oh Oh 9

Madison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance