Groveport Madison teachers get raise ...

Groveport Madison teachers get raise in new pact | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 109 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Groveport Madison teachers get raise in new pact | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Starting Tuesday, Groveport Madison teachers will receive a 1.25 percent raise under a new contract that expires in four months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Wow

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 28, 2011
4% health care contribution. That's really something, way to go! great job negotiating. How does a 500% increase grab ya? Its coming its SB5.
Daily Customer

United States

#3 Feb 28, 2011
Wonder why it took this long to negotiate and why they didn't just make it a 3.5 year contract so they don't have to start all over again in 4 months? maybe something to do with SB5? Assume that raise will be retroactive? Very little information in this article.
An American

Columbus, OH

#4 Feb 28, 2011
I'm sure there is a complaint somewhere that this is even too much.
Time to WAKE UP

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 28, 2011
"Under the new contract, members of the Groveport Madison Local Education Association will contribute 4 percent a month towards their health insurance."

Is that 4% of their total pay, base pay, or the cost of the insurance?

If that is total pay, not a bad deal for the teachers...(Too bad for the public of the Groveport-Madison schools).(4% per month of a $50k salary is $167)

I wonder how many people living in that district pay more than that with a lower salary at their jobs...
Really

Hilliard, OH

#7 Feb 28, 2011
I thought I read the numbers wrong at first. They contribute 4%? I'm not a whiz at math but it appears that the taxpayers are paying 96% in this instance. I'm not trying to belittle educators, they do important work, but this is outrageous. How can you possibly look at this situation and think that the numbers are reasonable? SB is going to pass and all the teachers who don't like the new terms and compensation structure are free to go. There are many recent grads who would love to take their jobs!
I wonder

Pickerington, OH

#8 Feb 28, 2011
"I wonder how many people living in that district pay more than that with a lower salary at their jobs.."

I guess I also wonder how many of those folks with a lower salary at their job also have a Master's Degree plus 30 hours which is what teachers are required to maintain to renew their license throughout their career. This is near the equivalent to a PhD.
Joe Taxpayer

Powell, OH

#9 Feb 28, 2011
Wow. Teachers making a 4% contribution toward their previously free cadillac health care plan. I'm so impressed by the sacrifices made in collective bargaining.
I Know

Columbus, OH

#10 Feb 28, 2011
If teachers aren't paying at least 20% of the cost of insurance for themselves, plus 100% of the additional cost if they have a family plan, taxpayers are getting ripped off.
wow

Dublin, OH

#11 Feb 28, 2011
$20 a month on a family plan... jeez and their still b!tching?
i pay 300$ and my insurance rates are considered good...
ONLY THE FACTS

Howard, OH

#12 Feb 28, 2011
Joe Taxpayer wrote:
Wow. Teachers making a 4% contribution toward their previously free cadillac health care plan. I'm so impressed by the sacrifices made in collective bargaining.
This is exactly the problem, without ANY background imformation ignorant people make ignorant remarks. I guarantee if you look at past years negotiations notes that you would find many years with no raises just to keep health care low to teachers. Just like state employees who are now being attacked. State employees have had 2 raises in 10 years, have fofloughs unpaid each year (another wage cut), and are being attacked because the political soundbite was there for imbeciles to jump on. The FACTS are there have been nothing but tax cuts for the past 30 years (since Regan) 2 wars, roads and bridges to maintain cost money. Keep cutting taxes and you get exactly what we have right now. Ignorant people making comments & jumping on the back of a politically imbecile charged campaign. SO, Jump on board its obvious you belong there.
Just Listening

United States

#13 Feb 28, 2011
Pretty smart move on their part actually. Get your raise and benefits locked in before SB 5 passes. I expect other districts to do the same.
Taxedtodeath

Columbus, OH

#14 Feb 28, 2011
"Previously, the board fully covered teachers on the single-person health plan while those on the family plan paid $20 a month, officials said."

This is what I have been trying to point out on many issues involving school levies in the past. I'ts not just about the kids when a levy comes up.
Time to WAKE UP

Columbus, OH

#15 Feb 28, 2011
I wonder wrote:
"I wonder how many people living in that district pay more than that with a lower salary at their jobs.."
I guess I also wonder how many of those folks with a lower salary at their job also have a Master's Degree plus 30 hours which is what teachers are required to maintain to renew their license throughout their career. This is near the equivalent to a PhD.
Just as with the private sector - teachers are not forced into their career choice. My point is that the general public is making due with less, paying more for their benefits, retirements, and health care , but the public workers are still demanding theirs to be paid for by the private workers...

I wonder when the public workers and politicians will wake-up and realize that new taxes and "maintain current spending levels" are not the answer... The more I hear of these public worker contracts and demands, the more I'm for a referendum on the SB5 issue. If public unions only make-up 7% of the workforce, I'll lay serious money that the vote would pass SB5...
Angry Trees

Columbus, OH

#16 Feb 28, 2011
In South_Western City Schools, teachers pay their retirement while administrators pay no retirement.

Employees pay 35% of health care (more than $500/ month for family).

To only pay $20 for family is quite a perk.
Angry Trees

Columbus, OH

#17 Feb 28, 2011
Just Listening wrote:
Pretty smart move on their part actually. Get your raise and benefits locked in before SB 5 passes. I expect other districts to do the same.
Doesn't matter when SB5 goes into effect. When some sort of SB5 passes it supersedes this contract. The board will be required to follow SB5 (until it is thrown into court, put on the ballot for a statewide vote, etc.

4% of health care costs is a deal. I pay 35%
Will Burns

United States

#18 Feb 28, 2011
Remember this. Do I hear the cry of "we need this levy to pass, we are broke and it is after all for the children" coming from the board ? not yet but give it until end of summer and they will be talking levy.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19 Feb 28, 2011
It's not hard to hate lazy whining teachers Go sb5
Brad

Dublin, OH

#20 Feb 28, 2011
After reading the health care arrangements and after reading last week about a middle school librarian that earns over $80,000/year, it is no wonder why the voters of this district don't want to pass a levy. Free health coverage and $20 for a family policy!!!
For Common Sense

Chillicothe, OH

#21 Feb 28, 2011
Uh Oh! As a state employee, I find this atrocious! I pay 20% for health care. I only went as far as the "B's" in the salaries and there sure were a lot of teachers making high fifties, sixties and seventies. No wonder out of the 1.3 billion, state employees are only responsible for what - 250 million??
Really wrote:
I thought I read the numbers wrong at first. They contribute 4%? I'm not a whiz at math but it appears that the taxpayers are paying 96% in this instance. I'm not trying to belittle educators, they do important work, but this is outrageous. How can you possibly look at this situation and think that the numbers are reasonable? SB is going to pass and all the teachers who don't like the new terms and compensation structure are free to go. There are many recent grads who would love to take their jobs!
No way

Yellow Springs, OH

#22 Feb 28, 2011
I find it hard to believe they are paying $20 for a family plan. My wife teaches and it's over $350 a month for a family plan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pizza Hut is FALSE ADVERTISING (Jan '10) May 19 Sofie56 56
Are realtors really helping our county? Apr '17 Joel C 1
Why does Citizens Band Radio Jammer W8XLR conti... (May '15) Aug '16 Oh Oh 9
Wal-Mart meat (Jul '09) Jul '16 Terata1 40
News Connie Luhta, pilot, airport owner, Concord tru... (May '16) May '16 Sheri 1
News Four Groveport Madison students charged after d... (May '11) Mar '16 Nunay 142
Searching for mark (Dec '15) Jan '16 shib McGillicuddy 2

Madison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Madison Mortgages