Emporia, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

So, do we need a recycling program increasing the cost of our trash collection by almost $4.00 per month when unemployment for Lyon County has increased from 4.7% in October to 8.2% in February? The cost for the recycling program will be enormous and not produce any income. Look at all the empty businesses in Emporia. Lyon County needs jobs and the tax money needs to be spent toward an income producing venue as in recruiting businesses/manufacturers, incentives. They say that they expect only 50% of the people to actually use the recycling bin which will be provided to everyone with the additional charge on everyone's bill. Seriously, look around you and see if recycling should be a top priority. Seems odd to me that the city commission won't see this but suggest you contact them by phone or email and let them know how you feel about this. Yes, Hostess will reopen but I am guessing since they plan to increase automation (less employees needed) and I am guessing wages will not be as high, it will not be a real recovery from that business closing and, gee, how many businesses have closed and not been replaced. Saw that Bunge is laying off and may or may not reopen depending on the soybean crop this year.

“Why is this so difficult?”

Since: Dec 09

timbuktu

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

No, we do not. The current recycling collection small business owner should sell her business as a private enterprise and allow it to provide non-tax-funded job(s). I recycle and I have no interest in paying for it, privately or otherwise.
Ayn Rand warned us about this decades ago, but we the people of the United States of America, in our arrogance and ignorance, did not heed the warning.

Since: Apr 13

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

recycling programs aren't just for job reasons..it's all about preserving the environment and maximizing resources. So yes, we need recycling programs.

Since: Apr 13

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

If you need proof of how recycling can be beneficial, try researching for news on Google or mysearchresults.com .... https://sites.google.com/site/mysearchresults...

“RELAX”

Since: Dec 12

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

This isn't about recycling. It's about a couple of schemers that aren't even from Emporia trying to sell their failing business to the local taxpayers.

The Light

Emporia, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

-Dont Panic- wrote:
This isn't about recycling. It's about a couple of schemers that aren't even from Emporia trying to sell their failing business to the local taxpayers.
Exactly. We already recycle as do many other residents in Emporia, just check the bins at the Dillon's when they are there. They estimate that only 50% would probably use the bins they will be charged for anyway and I am betting less. It doesn't take that much commonsense to see what is going on with this deal and it is a shame that it has been approved. I understand it will take 18 months to get up and running and hopefully, I won't be a resident here since the values being exhibited in this sort of transaction are nothing I plan to be associated with because it will be a continuing problem as more jump on the bandwagon. We need incentives for businesses who e-verify. We also need to do something about the rundown property and poor conditions of the streets. I cannot believe what the city was in the mid-90's when our older son went to college here and what it is like now.

“RELAX”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

The Light wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. We already recycle as do many other residents in Emporia, just check the bins at the Dillon's when they are there. They estimate that only 50% would probably use the bins they will be charged for anyway and I am betting less. It doesn't take that much commonsense to see what is going on with this deal and it is a shame that it has been approved. I understand it will take 18 months to get up and running and hopefully, I won't be a resident here since the values being exhibited in this sort of transaction are nothing I plan to be associated with because it will be a continuing problem as more jump on the bandwagon. We need incentives for businesses who e-verify. We also need to do something about the rundown property and poor conditions of the streets. I cannot believe what the city was in the mid-90's when our older son went to college here and what it is like now.
That's what happens to a city that hires a city manager that is not a local native and has a low opinion of the native residents to Emporia. After a while there will be nobody working in any executive position that is actually from this town. After all, If the city manager has a low opinion of local natives then none of the local talent will be considered. All hires for top positions have come from the same place as the city manager. Missouri seems to be a great place apply for work if you want a good paying city job in Emporia, KS. You don't even need to show any success after you are hired either. Even if you are a total failure in your duties, that's alright! You will get a pay increase and an assistant...as long as that assistant isn't a native resident of Emporia.

“Why is this so difficult?”

Since: Dec 09

timbuktu

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

waynegarcia03 wrote:
recycling programs aren't just for job reasons..it's all about preserving the environment and maximizing resources. So yes, we need recycling programs.
All decisions the city commissioners make should take into account the best ways to help the most citizens. Without jobs here, recycling won't matter because there won't be a town. ESU will fade into the annals of history along with the rest of our heritage without jobs to keep it all alive. Private sector jobs need to be encouraged, provided for and taken into account at every turn around here, including in recycling....because as soon as all we have are government-provided jobs - in the schools, at the college, at the county hospital and in the city depts---we're done.
Of course, then the local environment and resources won't be a concern, will they? It'll be a bigger concern in the urban areas that will become more crowded as people flock to them in the hunt for jobs, but out here in the boonies, it'll all be good.

“RELAX”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

I've seen these recycle programs in other places. They always start out as voluntary but progress into mandates including fees and fines.

People are forced to separate their waste into bins and place them out on the curb and before the officials pick it up, methheads drive by stealing the most valuable recyclables, aluminum, brass and copper, and leave the paper, plastic and tin for the taxpayer funded enterprise to lose money on.

Eventually, fights break out between crackheads and methheads over pop cans and electrical wiring in the residential neighborhoods causing taxpayers to fork out even more money for increased police security.

It's a lose lose situation for the taxpayers. We end up paying the fees for collection, fines for mixing waste, and tax increases to police the nuisances.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Madison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KS Kansas Voting Disqualification Amendment - Ment... (Oct '10) 15 hr Erdic clary 201
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? Aug 7 Curmudgeon 175
KS Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) Aug 7 Brownback Mountain 6,001
Debate: Gay Marriage - Emporia, KS (Dec '10) Apr '14 sfcjdb329@yahoo.com 25
david Rutledge Mar '14 David Rutledge 1
Arrests Made In Eureka Homicide (Mar '06) Mar '14 darrell White 11
KS Who do you support for Governor in Kansas in 2010? (Oct '10) Feb '14 livin on a prayer 690

Search the Madison Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Madison Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Madison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Madison News, Events & Info