west street. what the heck?

west street. what the heck?

Posted in the Madison Forum

Brian

Hartland, WI

#1 Jan 5, 2013
Just drove down west street downtown. A house that had caught on fire and was boarded up has written on the boards "crime scene #4 of 6, who's next?" What is that all about?
sure as sheet

Franklin, IN

#2 Jan 5, 2013
It's about a frustrated homeowner who has been jerked around by the City of Madison, the fire chief, the state of Indiana, local police and the historical goody two shoes types. The house should not have burned. There have been many fires in that area of town of unknown origin, including several intentionally set. The homeowner and many in downtown believe there is a arsonist among us. I believe it myself but you'll NEVER hear any local official utter the words of that possibility cause all hush hush.

Just another boarded up burned out shell in the National Historic Landmark District. So... who is next?
What Now

Englewood, OH

#3 Jan 6, 2013
Burned out, rotted out, the only difference is that you can see the ones that have burned from the street. The many, many rotten ones you have to go inside to notice. And they are rotten because the hysterical board refuses to allow homeowners to make affordable repairs. Do not buy property in Madison. Move along, you'll be glad and will never know it.
looking

Franklin, IN

#4 Jan 6, 2013
What Now wrote:
Burned out, rotted out, the only difference is that you can see the ones that have burned from the street. The many, many rotten ones you have to go inside to notice. And they are rotten because the hysterical board refuses to allow homeowners to make affordable repairs. Do not buy property in Madison. Move along, you'll be glad and will never know it.
That's true too. At this time I would not purchase another property downtown for a dime on the dollar. A real pain in the azz that is not worth any investment and with little hopes of a nominal return. Everything just keeps going up and with more ridiculous hoops to jump through and the renters available will destroy about anything including an anvil. Madison makes it real hard to do anything nice.
Marshall

Hartland, WI

#5 Jan 7, 2013
So maybe its the home owners doing this on purpose cause they cant afford to fix their places up and not an arsonist running around from what you all are saying.
SC of the HA

Madison, IN

#6 Jan 7, 2013
Marshall wrote:
So maybe its the home owners doing this on purpose cause they cant afford to fix their places up and not an arsonist running around from what you all are saying.
The house was awesome and chocked full of collectable antiques. One would indeed think for a moment the possibility of owner induced torching in a financial pinch. However that is NOT the case here with this home. The homeowner, as crazy as it seems now had ZERO insurance on the structure and ZERO insurance on the contents. It's a total loss to them and they NOW have a very costly mess to try and clean up somehow by either demolition or selling the burned out shell to someone financially capable of rebuilding the historic structure.

Those are the facts.
DB Cooper

West Lafayette, IN

#7 Jan 7, 2013
No inurance? Pretty stupid........
Marshall

Hartland, WI

#8 Jan 7, 2013
SC of the HA wrote:
<quoted text>
The house was awesome and chocked full of collectable antiques. One would indeed think for a moment the possibility of owner induced torching in a financial pinch. However that is NOT the case here with this home. The homeowner, as crazy as it seems now had ZERO insurance on the structure and ZERO insurance on the contents. It's a total loss to them and they NOW have a very costly mess to try and clean up somehow by either demolition or selling the burned out shell to someone financially capable of rebuilding the historic structure.
Those are the facts.
Sad story. So how did the fire start? Why are they so sure its an arsonist?
adjuster

Madison, IN

#9 Jan 8, 2013
DB Cooper wrote:
No inurance? Pretty stupid........
Agreed, I have one building that is not insured myself. Been paid for for many years and is unoccupied. It's my choice to assume the risk.
looker

Madison, IN

#10 Jan 8, 2013
Marshall wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad story. So how did the fire start? Why are they so sure its an arsonist?
Apparently they can't make a determination definitively. Supposedly. I heard the home owner had just left and the fire started in a remote area accessible from the back yard. From the photos I've seen with the home in flames, one would think it wold be real easy to sniff out the source of the first ignition. Very suspicious and several other suspicious building fires in the same general area recently too. Hence the signage from the homeowner and the question, "who is next?".
huggie

Franklin, IN

#11 Jan 14, 2013
how come there is too many burn houses and borded up windows in downtown anyways? lots need fixing up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Youngblood 18 hr the ex 4
Jefferson County Police Dept. & Sherriffs dept. Tue derp 10
Keeping Madison safe from Melton Drug Dealers (Jun '14) May 25 may god bless 21
mumbles restraunt downtown (Apr '13) May 25 taste of their own 47
dont buy mattresses from Big Lots!! (Jan '14) May 25 badboy 36
Cody hunt May 24 interested and in... 7
McManus (Oct '13) May 23 salute to the solid 13
More from around the web

Madison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE