Brakes applied to red-light camera bill

Brakes applied to red-light camera bill

There are 44 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 21, 2007, titled Brakes applied to red-light camera bill. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Despite emotional testimony from the widow of a motorist killed by a red-light runner, legislation that would allow cameras to catch and fine violators will not be approved this year, a key state senator said ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
motorcycle rider

Altamonte Springs, FL

#2 Apr 21, 2007
For economic and environmental reasons, I drive fuel efficient motrcycle; it gets about 70 mpg. However, for safety reasons, I constantly worry about dangerous drivers. Red light cameras would help dramtically help at intersections, where a trendous number of collisions, deaths, injuries, finacial costs, and delays could be prevented.
Ned

Orlando, FL

#3 Apr 21, 2007
Yes, I think we need to think of the children. Children are our future. Children are like delicate flowers and need to be nutured and protected. Why won't these senators PLEASE think of the children? Why don't they give me the power to give out tickets too? I will sit on the corner of light by my house and i will write down license tags. I'll send these people tickets and I will only keep 20% of the fine. See? I can protect you all and make a few bucks at the same time. PLEASE just think of the children!
Page

Ocala, FL

#4 Apr 21, 2007
Apopka needs to move one down to Wekiva Springs and 441 where it's not just normal to run a red light, but it's normal for opposing traffic to have to wait for the intersection to clear, and sometimes, MISS their own green light. But, of course, red tape and people wanting their way will always get in the way. This could be a really good technology, if they're let it pass at least with a trial period.
jgw

Palm Bay, FL

#5 Apr 21, 2007
Mr. Webster, if you're not a huge fan of turning law enforcement over to private vendors, then what are you doing about turning it over to those who are tasked with enforcing the law? Once again it sounds to me like some special interest issues are getting in the way of protecting our citizens. And one more thing. Please don't worry about violating my rights with red-light cameras. I don't run red lights! Only those who continue to run red lights are the ones who are against this bill.
BobX

Lincoln, NE

#6 Apr 21, 2007
jgw wrote:
Mr. Webster, if you're not a huge fan of turning law enforcement over to private vendors, then what are you doing about turning it over to those who are tasked with enforcing the law? Once again it sounds to me like some special interest issues are getting in the way of protecting our citizens. And one more thing. Please don't worry about violating my rights with red-light cameras. I don't run red lights! Only those who continue to run red lights are the ones who are against this bill.
Bullsquash! They will issue 125$ tickets to the owner of the car? What if the owner isn't driving the car? What about points? There are a lot of unanswered questions and until they are answered I will continue to be against red light cameras.
Linda

Christmas, FL

#7 Apr 21, 2007
Yesterday on my drive through downtown Orlando to Sand Lake Road, I was amazed at the number of people running red lights..sometimes as many as 3 at one intersection. I was almost rear ended by a cement truck that had to swerve into the other lane to run the light. People who are concerned about their rights being taken should worry more about their lives being taken in a matter of seconds. If cameras are the answer, I am ready for my closeup!
srf105

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Apr 21, 2007
It doesn't seem that many people are opposed to this proposal, especially considering the potential benefit. So if Senate Transportation Committee Chairman Carey Baker, R-Eustis can't get it on the agenda this year, perhaps he's not actually working to the benefit of the people of Florida, and should be recalled. And if anyone is (hopefully not, but reality being what it is) injured in an accident involving a red light runner, name Mr Baker as a co-defendant in your damage suit. The state is under no obligation to indemnify him for negligence.
Bakers an IDIOT

Portland, OR

#9 Apr 21, 2007
Carey Baker is a bumbling IDIOT! He is a Stupid redneck from Eustis. Go visit this bozo at Petersons Gun Shop in Tavares/Eustis area and tell this JERK how you feel. He is the happy owner of the aforementioned business.
You won’t fund more cops, most state cops are living at the poverty level, and you will not assist the cities and counties by giving the red light running law some teeth. As of now cities and counties can only issue warnings.
Douglas

AOL

#10 Apr 21, 2007
They were too busy this year letting the released felons gain back their voting rights to handle this issue.
henry

Eddyville, KY

#11 Apr 21, 2007
If only the legislators had a clue?? There is a very large source of revenue to be tapped and most everyone would be in favor of it. Allow speeding tickets and red-light tickets to be issued on the bases of camera enforcement. That crap about "You wouldn’t know who was driving" doesn’t hold water, Fine the car owner!!!, if he wasn't driving let him recover the cost of the fine from whom ever was. If he gets three tickets impound the car. Maybe just maybe we could reduce the accidents and the carnage on our streets. With the number of violations going on at the present time we could do away with all real estate taxes.
Harry Callahan

Orlando, FL

#12 Apr 21, 2007
This is krap. The people have spoken and want the camaras. These hot shot politicians do not drive on the street like you and me and they dont get it. Its obvious they have special interests in mind and not the welfare of the people. This should be a no brainer...you break the law and run a light, you get a ticket. period.
WHAT THE F

United States

#13 Apr 21, 2007
legislation that would allow cameras to catch and fine violators will not be approved this year, a key state senator said Friday.

NO BUT THEY WILL TAKE AWAY THE GIFTED STUDENTS PROGRAM !!!!!!
tHEY REALLY NEED TO GET A GRIP AND START PROTECTING THE LAW OBEYING PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!
Annie

Greenville, SC

#14 Apr 21, 2007
The only valid reason I can think of for someone other than the owner driving a car is if your teenager is driving it, in which case you would be responsible anyway. Rental cars would be traced back to the person who rented it, and company vehicles typically have (or could easily have) logs to indicate who is driving when. I never loan my car to anyone, ever. There's too much risk of being sued if something does happen.

Also, the cries about privacy don't make sense either. No one should have any expectation of visual privacy on a public street. If you're driving around with someone you shouldn't be, the people in the car next to you will get a much better view than the camera ever could.

I also don't see how this is any different from the cameras already installed on the toll roads that a lot of us drive every day. Both are there to take a picture of the back end of your car, and the toll people are already doing that.

I think that these people who are fighting it are the same ones who put our lives at risk by running the lights in the first place.
Concerned Citizen

San Antonio, TX

#15 Apr 21, 2007
BobX wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullsquash! They will issue 125$ tickets to the owner of the car? What if the owner isn't driving the car? What about points? There are a lot of unanswered questions and until they are answered I will continue to be against red light cameras.
If you're so concerned about getting tickets for your car running a red light....then I guess you should be more concerned with who you are letting drive your car. How about this...you let a driver borrow your car, he runs a redlight and kills someone...because your car (and your permission to use it) was the murder weapon...the family of the deceased gets to sue your insurance company for damages. After that, no one will ever insure you again. Lesson learned?
What is this

Milford, NJ

#16 Apr 21, 2007
Okay, so I know there are lobbiest and money involved otherwise this would have went through. But I, for the life of me, can't figure out why there would be a lobby AGAINST red light cameras.
And as for the guy who says "well, someone else could be driving the car", BS! This is being done in a lot of places in the country and it's working and it can be done here as well. If I loaned a car to a friend and found they were running red lights with it, taking a chance on killing someone and getting me involved doing it, I would deffinetly want to know. With one hand around his throat you could hold out the other one and say "where's my $125?".
And maybe someone needs to follow Mr. Baker and Mr. Webster. They might be able to find two habitual red light runners. That's the only reason I could think of that they don't want to do something good for the state.
I myself am sick of waiting at a red light and it changes green but you have to sit there while three, four, or more cars continue to come through from the other direction. And their reason is evidently "I'm just too important to wait for a red light so you'll have to wait for me".
A good move

Boston, MA

#17 Apr 21, 2007
We don't need big brother watching us. I am glad that they did not approve this. A push should be done by local law enforcement officals to crack down on red light runners. If you want a detterent why not increase the fine. We don't need big brother!!!
What is this

Milford, NJ

#18 Apr 21, 2007
A good move wrote:
We don't need big brother watching us. I am glad that they did not approve this. A push should be done by local law enforcement officals to crack down on red light runners. If you want a detterent why not increase the fine. We don't need big brother!!!
Yeah, the Big Brother thing. Who is going to be bothered by a photo taken of your car? They take them now when you run a light at the toll booth. And we don't have enough law enforcement the way it is. How are we going to ge them to crack down? I've seen a few occassions where they were they sat at an intersection watching it. Of course then people slow down and don't even run the yellow lights. Similar to what you see when the punks do wheelies on their motorcycles. They always look over their shoulder first. And increasing fines doesn't really do it. You penalize the low income father of four because he makes a mistake and he might miss his house payment. You penalize a college kid in his new BMW his dad gave him and all he'll do is have his dad pay it. I think the fine should fit the punishment and $125 would be pretty good. People want to keep the concept of society self control that was around during Coloinal times. But we're in a different age. You can't keep those same self governing, self controlling concepts and add the people and technology that we have today on it. We have to think of innovative ways of controlling our society or we're going to be trying to live in anarchy. That wouldn't be cool.
concerned county citizen

Telogia, FL

#19 Apr 21, 2007
It about padding local government coffers the money from the tickets should go to the Local Trauma Centers that treat victims of accidents. I am sorry to say that the system will be abused. The proof is that these greedy Cities are setting these systems up without authority or permission from the State Legislature. God forgive your child or your friend if they run a red light in your vehicle and your license get suspended because of it. I believe every parent in central Florida has received a notice because a sibling failed to pay a toll. At least the toll system sends a warning notice first. I would be interested in the number of accidents at these intersections instead of the number of violations. You can manipulate the number of violations by playing with the timing of the yellow warning light, and the position of the Stop Bar. You can better prevent Red light accidents by placing a pause in the transition from the red light to the green light, a method that has been used for years at high red light accident intersections. Just ask any traffic Engineer. These greedy cities will manipulate the lights to drive up profits and the vendors will teach them how to do it because they get a cut of the money (40% of every ticket). The vendors are using the cities by pushing an agenda that is not correct but very emotional. The legislature is taking money from Cities by cutting property taxes and Cities have to make it up somewhere or learn to live within a budget. Be Smart not Emotional about your position on red light cameras. Get all the facts. I believe it is about the money. It always is. It always will be.

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#20 Apr 21, 2007
BobX wrote:
<quoted text>
Well than the owner of the car will be more careful about who he loans the car to, whould that owner rather see his car in a fatel accident and get sued!

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#21 Apr 21, 2007
henry wrote:
If only the legislators had a clue?? There is a very large source of revenue to be tapped and most everyone would be in favor of it. Allow speeding tickets and red-light tickets to be issued on the bases of camera enforcement. That crap about "You wouldn’t know who was driving" doesn’t hold water, Fine the car owner!!!, if he wasn't driving let him recover the cost of the fine from whom ever was. If he gets three tickets impound the car. Maybe just maybe we could reduce the accidents and the carnage on our streets. With the number of violations going on at the present time we could do away with all real estate taxes.
This money could replace the lose of property tax money when changes are made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bad Cop hired by Tony Cameron (Dec '11) Wed WhiteDevilKingOfT... 26
Suwannee Co DRUG DEALERS (Apr '16) Wed WhiteDevilKingOfT... 12
narc snitch (Nov '16) Wed WhiteDevilKingOfT... 13
Paganism in Live Oak FL (Jan '12) Sep 26 Done 4
Jennings Music Thread (Apr '16) Aug '18 Musikologist 5
News Body found by RR tracks (Jun '16) Feb '17 Madisoncowboy 2
Sign that reads Day 23 (Apr '10) Jan '17 Slick 3

Madison Jobs

Personal Finance

Madison Mortgages