Griswold Airport shuts after 75-year run

Griswold Airport will shut down this weekend, ending a 75-year run for the tiny shoreline airfield where hundreds of pilots have earned their wings. Full Story
Cindy

Shelton, CT

#1 Jan 1, 2007
It will be sad to see it go. My Grandparents lived in a little trailer at the airport,during the summers, and when I was little, I spent a lot of time there. They started going there in the mid to late 1940's and continued until my Grandfather's death in 1971. They rented the trailer from Jack and Caroline Griwold. They stayed there all summer and came down weekends during the rest of the year, except for the winter months. My Mother was a young child when they started staying there during the summers. (They had a home in Waterbury, CT). My father and my step-father took flying lessons there. I used to love to go there to visit my Grandparents and to watch the airplanes take off and land. Jack took me for plane rides several times. He would fly over the Hammonasset Beach and he would fly over where my parents and I lived in Clinton, near the Westbrook town line. I became friends with Jack and Caroline's grand daughters, Sharon and Gail, and with other people that used to rent the cabins during the summers.
Craig

Madison, CT

#2 Jan 5, 2007
Antoehr fine decision by the mummies who run the town of Madison to allow urban sprawl to infest our small towm. May thay all rot in hell.
Craig

Madison, CT

#3 Jan 5, 2007
I guess I can't spell at 5AM. Sorry about that (I live in Madison btw)
Jay Tee

Greenfield, MA

#4 Jan 5, 2007
When is Madison going to stop ruining itself? If you drive around town, two out of three houses are new, oversized, vinyl-clad pieces of crap.
The town missed it's one chance to have a park right on the river.
Beverly

Wethersfield, CT

#5 Jan 18, 2007
Man will truly be sorry one day for the overdevelopment and raping of our land.
Take a look at the prices of vegtables in the super markets. They've got most people over a barrel because they can't even grow their own food on the tiny lots were being accustomed and taxed on.
Jamie Baker Clinton Ct

Dracut, MA

#6 Jan 29, 2007
My father was the manager of the airport for a long time. My brother and I grew up spending our weekends at the airport. I flew in my fathers airplanes both the ultralight and cessna and loved it. Its a shame it is going I just started having my children go down there and my son loves the airplanes. It is a great loss to our family, and I am very sad to see it go!
Rick

Mahwah, NJ

#7 Mar 12, 2009
Cindy.....my dad also used to come up from New York with his family to Madison. There is a picture of Mr Griswold at www.evartsarchives.org .
The young man in the picture is mt dad. Picture taken in 1934. The gal in the picture is also a relative, my dad's cousin Rotha. Fun stuff. Rick

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) 52 min Pot calling Kettle 790
North Branford Police Arrests for Oct. 22 to Oc... (Nov '12) Sep 5 nbbaseball 2
Andrea Mears Aug 29 shoff 1
Can I find the obituary of my ancestors ? Jul '14 luclor97 1
All Fired Up: Traveling Roadside Barbecue Jul '14 ForJustice 1
Sex offender for Foley Jun '14 firstone 1
Debate: Marijuana - Guilford, CT (Aug '10) Jun '14 Me 2
•••
•••
•••

Madison Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000