Teacher, prosecution in deal over autistic child's discipline

Full story: Connecticut Post

A former Fairfield special education teacher, arrested for allegedly removing the shirt of an autistic 6-year-old girl and forcing the girl to sit partially naked in the classroom, has agreed to take anger-management classes in exchange for the state dropping criminal charges against her.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Marianne

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

I can't help but wonder if this is this teacher's first time doing something like this. I hope not, but somehow I doubt it. I'm glad she is out of the classroom. She was probably a good teacher at one time who totally burned herself out. Kudos to the parents who didn't try to sue the school district If this had happened where I teach, there would have been hell to pay for all.
themachomanrandy savage

Katonah, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

I felt awful reading this. kids get on my nerves, and sometimes they really do but I care about all my students, even the ones that curse me out (I teach inner city). I can't imagine treating an autistic child this cruelly. I don't care how frustrated the teacher was, this was degrading and terrible for a 6 year old girl. I am glad the parents didn't sue. the teacher is gone, and the parents found out what happened. I feel bad for this little girl.
madden09

Goodyear, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

yes this teacher does need anger management.
no teacher has a right to remove clothes.
just have student change the shirt to 1 w/ no stripes.

Topfree is only naked in religious-biased countries like the U.S. In other countries they don't have this bias.
People can reduce the Christian bias by going to the national protest gotopless.org is having this August.
concerned caregiver

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

This teacher clearly does not have the empathy or understanding to work with mentally challanged children. She should change her career to working with children that do not require as much patience.
law school

Paterson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Ok so she takes a I'm ok your ok, I need to learn to deal with my feelings class, she does not have to face charges, and she agrees not to sue fairfield in exchange for money. Sue the town for what. Had she done that to my child I'd sue, and smack her stupid. She could have say covered the shirt with something else, or find another way to over come the problem.
Zach

Franklin Square, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

This kid had no place in a regular classroom. It's a distraction for the other students, and a pain in the neck for the teacher....!
Teachers aide

Franklin Square, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

A typical day on the teachers' nerves, that's what happened, this special need children get to you and take a toll on your patience, What she did was wrong. but this is the results of 'no child left behind" now every students has been left behind, for some one that doesn't know What's going on...!!!!!
Molly

Franklin Square, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

What the previous comments said it's the truth, but it's not political correct. we have to say that's it's a good idea to have them together, but it doesn't work... and you know it...!
QWERTY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

And if the student bites the teacher, what happens? NOTHING! They send the kid home, the parents do nothing and the cycle repeats itself.

Teachers have little power to do anything to students and the school admins won't tell the parents how to parents for fear of a lawsuit.

It's a stupid system. Too many soccer moms coddling kids who will grow up to be screwed up adults.
Sarah

Franklin Square, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

I will go and defended this teacher if they have a trial. She is with these kids not because she wanted to, it's is an imposition on part of the Bush administration,
NoTopicz

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

QWERTY wrote:
And if the student bites the teacher, what happens? NOTHING! They send the kid home, the parents do nothing and the cycle repeats itself.
Teachers have little power to do anything to students and the school admins won't tell the parents how to parents for fear of a lawsuit.
It's a stupid system. Too many soccer moms coddling kids who will grow up to be screwed up adults.
so you think it is ok for an adult to physically assault a mentally handicapped child. Your constant ignorance speaks for itself.
Stop child abuse

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

This teacher should be in jail.
QWERTY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

NoTopicz wrote:
<quoted text>
so you think it is ok for an adult to physically assault a mentally handicapped child. Your constant ignorance speaks for itself.
I never said that.

I'm saying people overreact to stuff like this. Like this child was beaten and left for dead.

Yes, the teacher should have chosen a more appropriate punishment, however it's the disconnect of the school to parents that leads to this type of stuff! The school can't have completely open communication with parents for fear of offending them!

The majority of "bad" kids are that way because the parents are ****** parents! Bottom line. And the school has to fix the kid 3 hours a day when the parents are undoing all that work when the kid comes home!

So I feel for this teacher because her job is extremely hard to do. I give her a lot more slack.
Stop Child abuse

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

QWERTY wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that.
I'm saying people overreact to stuff like this. Like this child was beaten and left for dead.
Yes, the teacher should have chosen a more appropriate punishment, however it's the disconnect of the school to parents that leads to this type of stuff! The school can't have completely open communication with parents for fear of offending them!
The majority of "bad" kids are that way because the parents are ****** parents! Bottom line. And the school has to fix the kid 3 hours a day when the parents are undoing all that work when the kid comes home!
So I feel for this teacher because her job is extremely hard to do. I give her a lot more slack.
The kid was autistic, like mentally handicapped, are you that dense or are you a child abuser yourself? I remember your rants from the banana incident, THe teacher should have been thrown in jail.
Stop Child abuse

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

What wrote:
<quoted text>
There you are, thought you would have stroked out by now, Well at least you not swearing and name calling this time.
How do you feel about the lady who left her 4 week old in a hot car? Abuse or not or since she's from Greenwich, she gets a pass?
Of course its abuse.
Stop Child abuse

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

QWERTY wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not your kid's fault they are screwed up, it's YOUR fault.
I hope they realize that.
Embarrassing.
What a terrible parent you are.
What don't you understand. The kid suffers from a mental handicap caused autism. She was not misbehaving and what the teacher did was child abuse. Your ignorance even when people try to explain anything to you is astounding. That you even posses the intelligence to turn on an electronic device boggles the imagination.

“Registered & Dangerous”

Since: Jan 09

Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Anger management??!?!?!

You cannot even be serious that now we get anger management as a sentence for child abuse.
QWERTY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Stop Child abuse wrote:
<quoted text>
What don't you understand. The kid suffers from a mental handicap caused autism. She was not misbehaving and what the teacher did was child abuse. Your ignorance even when people try to explain anything to you is astounding. That you even posses the intelligence to turn on an electronic device boggles the imagination.
I understand your lecture is a frustration result to parent your kids correctly. I'm sorry you were never a good parent.

I would say it's ok but it's not...because your kids are the ones who suffer from it.
Stop child abuse

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

QWERTY wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your lecture is a frustration result to parent your kids correctly. I'm sorry you were never a good parent.
I would say it's ok but it's not...because your kids are the ones who suffer from it.
Do you understand that the child suffers from a mental condition. THis has nothing to do with parenting. You are incredibly ignorant, why don't you stop posting this garbage, you are revealing your complete lack of intelligence
Marianne

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

Please stop saying that is was about parenting! The behavior the child was displaying was a feature of Autism. Autism is a neurobrain disorder. Any Special Education teacher worth her salt would know this. That's why we take classes in Applied Behavioral Analysis Strategies
in order to eradicate or lessen these behaviors. Sorry to get technical, I'm just trying to get people to understand that there were other resources and options that this teacher had instead of the unfortunate one she chose. I teach special needs children too and I,too, get very stressed out at times. Therefore I am not without an understnding of what she was probably going through that moment. At, the same time, however, she should have stepped back, took a deep breath and drank some water...anything but what she actually did. She was probably really frustrated trying to help the child but you know what? If you can't help don't hurt the child whether it be by word or action. Believe me some days in my classroom, that is my mantra. It can be so easy to fly off the handle when you have been trying so hard not only doing your job but going the extra 10 miles because you love your students and the profession itself. For the record, I am not one of these "fat cat teachers", a term that I have read in some of the posts when they were discussing teacher lay offs. I work in the inner city (Brooklyn) I get paid what the kids there call, "chump change." Not complaining because I love what I do. I'm just saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Madison Discussions

Search the Madison Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
All Fired Up: Traveling Roadside Barbecue Jul 8 ForJustice 1
Sex offender for Foley Jun 21 firstone 1
Debate: Marijuana - Guilford, CT (Aug '10) Jun 20 Me 2
Dogs to attend Bethel High -- sometimes Jun 17 june 2
Connecticut News - State, National and Local Ne... (Jun '07) May '14 chris 3
yoga May '14 ava tyler 3
Region 4 Education Budget Approved May '14 Libs Suck 1
•••
•••