2 accused of crimes while working as police officers

Full story: NewsTimes.com

A former Madison police officer and a suspended officer are facing additional charges for crimes allegedly committed on the job.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated May 20, 2010
B Kilian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

This is what happens when a person gets caught with their hands in the cookie jar. There is not much of a difference between a cop and criminal.
Blueblood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

Certainly these officers need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But then again what is the underlying issue ? Could it be the negative moral issue...could it be the loss of benifits.....I'm sure these officers already had the propensity for crossing the line....Citizens of Madison be advised with the benifits your Town is now offering you can bet the quality of officers you hire will be ones that no one else wants.
cdxc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

Wow you hit the nail on the head--It's ok to steal because your "benifits" are poor or even worse you have underlying issues- I did see the prosecute to the fulliest extent but come on would you give every criminal such excuses. I am sure for ever crime there is an underlying issue this is common sense. I think the officers should have been smarter--for instance-make an appt. mental health-in the mean time take 50 lobsters not 900 and work under the table to at Yale where you are sure to get caught--#3 make more friends on the PD force someone had it in for them- and finally have you as the attorney make everyone feel bad for steling and taking tax money cause of underlying issues.
Fred fom Madison

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

One of these two Officers (Gambardella) made over $100,000 in his last full year with the Madison Police Department, making him the highest paid Town employee by far, including the First Selectman!

Why is that relevant?

I suspect that we have only scratched the surface, and will shortly discover that the entire Department is full of crooks.
Jay Tee

Greenfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2007

no matter what those few bad officers do, their buddies will line up to defend them and explain away the bad behavior.
Fred from Madison

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2007

Jay Tee wrote:
no matter what those few bad officers do, their buddies will line up to defend them and explain away the bad behavior.
You are probably correct, and that is troubling.

What is more troubling to me is that the law-abiding citizens of Madison and their Police Commission don't appear to be clamoring for reform, and instead seem to wish to ignore the situation. The Police Commission has repeatedly assured us that the problem is "not systemic" -- what evidence, pray tell, would convince them that it is? Also, I have seen no letters expressing outrage at the corruption endemic in the Madison Police Department in the Source newspaper, only one letter sympathizing with a Police Officer accused of misconduct!

Vitually all recent alleged felonies/incidents of misconduct committed by the Madison Police have been detected and reported by a townsperson, and virtually none have been detected or reported by the Madison Police Department itself. It appears that the MPD is rife with corruption and incapable of policing itself. Crooks are investigating other crooks.

Moreover, to add insult to injury, it appears that even if convicted of the serious felonies with which they have been charged, the guilty Officers will still receive pensions. This is not the practice in most places in this Country. Who is the chowderhead who negotiated the collective bargaining agreement with the Police Officers' union?
karen Wi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2007

And these people protect us mmmm there's a problem. They should lock them up and throw away the key just like they would do to us
Hammond Asset

Guilford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

It's time to investigate Madison's Police Chief.
Jim

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

This police department was crooked when I was a teenager living in Madison 20 years ago. Nothing has changed. Anyone remember the last chief's debacle?
madison

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

All the cops in Madison are the same only thing u can get arrested for is "breach of peace"
corpus christi

Beverly, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

Madison cops are nothing more than criminals and should be executed i wish death upon them n their families..
corpus christi

Beverly, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

I encourage all ppl here to call CT commissioner on human rights and demanding Madison PIGS to be monitored with small camera devices and voice recorders while on duty..
USA

Rutland, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Dont be so sure that cops would want to defend these clowns.....These guys are the ones who give the good cops a bad name. Gambradella got caught red handed. He got greedy, 100,000+ a year just wasn't enough. he had to go steal lobster. Believe me the good guys are saying that the job is better off without them. Officers have a hard enough time keeping up a good reputation and these mutants go and screw it up. They obviously didn't care about their fellow officers, so why should anyone care about them. The only thing I can say is all cops are not stealing lobsters. Most cops are honest and hard working. Most will get hurt many times in their career to help a total stranger, and some will pay the ultimate sacrifice for that stranger all in the persuit of keeping us safe from the bad guys. These guys obviously forgot that and I'm glad their gone.
Madman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

Judged:

USA wrote:
Dont be so sure that cops would want to defend these clowns.....These guys are the ones who give the good cops a bad name. Gambradella got caught red handed. He got greedy, 100,000+ a year just wasn't enough. he had to go steal lobster. Believe me the good guys are saying that the job is better off without them. Officers have a hard enough time keeping up a good reputation and these mutants go and screw it up. They obviously didn't care about their fellow officers, so why should anyone care about them. The only thing I can say is all cops are not stealing lobsters. Most cops are honest and hard working. Most will get hurt many times in their career to help a total stranger, and some will pay the ultimate sacrifice for that stranger all in the persuit of keeping us safe from the bad guys. These guys obviously forgot that and I'm glad their gone.
You raise good point. Yes, most police officers are honest and hard working; some make the ultimate sacrifice to keep us safe. For this reason, there is an enormous reservoir of goodwill among the public favoring police officers. Unfortunately, the Officers of the Madison Police Department are mostly dishonest scoundrels who have, over the years, exploited for their own selfish ends the goodwill that exists as a result of the sacrifices and selflessness of police officers from other departments. A culture of dishonesty and corruption has permeated the Madison Police Department for many, many years. Because of the reservoir of goodwill generated by the police elsewhere, residents of Madison couldn't believe that their police officers would behave dishonestly or criminally, so they have overlooked evidence of malfeasance by the Officers of Madison Police Department for years.

Sorry, gentlemen, the party's over.
USA

Rutland, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

Judged:

I agree.
police suck go USA

Canton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Judged:

i live in madison and they ALWAYS pull over seinors in high school just to wast their time. it really sucks.we need more hidden cameras to teach them a lesson.
Pete the Putz

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Judged:

police suck go USA wrote:
i live in madison and they ALWAYS pull over seinors in high school just to wast their time. it really sucks.we need more hidden cameras to teach them a lesson.
If they gave you a ticket for bad spelling it was well worth their time.
Charlie

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2010

Judged:

Blueblood wrote:
Certainly these officers need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But then again what is the underlying issue ? Could it be the negative moral issue...could it be the loss of benifits.....I'm sure these officers already had the propensity for crossing the line....Citizens of Madison be advised with the benifits your Town is now offering you can bet the quality of officers you hire will be ones that no one else wants.
Blueblood certainly needs to find out the facts first. madison police have excellent benfits, benifits that have been increasing not decreasing. These excellent benefits have been in place for a long time. As a result, today we have an excellent group of people serving as police officers in Madison. The criminal officer, a patrolman, who had his had in the lobster jar, was the single highest paid town employee with income over $100,000 per year and associated benefits at the time of his arrest.
Listener

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

Good point, Charlie, but why do you believe that we now have an excellent group of people serving as police officers in Madison?

A majority of our Officers were hired and promoted by the discredited old regime, who, at minimum, stood by mute while their colleagues committed crimes.
Listener

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

I remind you that citizens' complaints of criminal acts by Madison Police Officers were routinely ignored, until a citizen's complaint of Officer's criminality was corroborated by a videotape (of an Officer stealing lobsters).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Madison Discussions

Search the Madison Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Gang Stalking Wed Citizen 2
Can I find the obituary of my ancestors ? Jul 25 luclor97 1
All Fired Up: Traveling Roadside Barbecue Jul 8 ForJustice 1
Sex offender for Foley Jun '14 firstone 1
Debate: Marijuana - Guilford, CT (Aug '10) Jun '14 Me 2
Dogs to attend Bethel High -- sometimes Jun '14 june 2
Connecticut News - State, National and Local Ne... (Jun '07) May '14 chris 3
•••
•••