DHL announces local layoffs

DHL announces local layoffs

There are 53 comments on the The Morning Call story from Sep 24, 2008, titled DHL announces local layoffs. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Struggling shipping company DHL laid off 89 part-time package handlers at its Upper Macungie Township distribution center as part of a continued company-wide restructuring.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jason

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 24, 2008
I'm sure they gave these employees a solid 2 week notice so they could find another job.

/sarcasm
Unreal

Northampton, PA

#2 Sep 24, 2008
why... so they could have two weeks to rip the place to all hell in retaliation?
Jason wrote:
I'm sure they gave these employees a solid 2 week notice so they could find another job.
/sarcasm
UNION YES

Kernersville, NC

#3 Sep 24, 2008
In September 2007, an attempt by the American Postal Workers Union to unionize the facility failed in a 217 to 135 vote.
Republicrat

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Sep 24, 2008
UNION YES wrote:
In September 2007, an attempt by the American Postal Workers Union to unionize the facility failed in a 217 to 135 vote.
right, which would have lead to a company bankrupcy instead of a layoff of branches.
Jason

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 24, 2008
Unreal wrote:
why... so they could have two weeks to rip the place to all hell in retaliation?
<quoted text>
Sorry, you're right. Treating your employees like human beings that have obligations depending on your employment was irrational of me.
cindy

Prague, Czech Republic

#6 Sep 24, 2008
This company is trying to make customers leave. We hold their freight and give them crappy service. We have laid so many off that we cannot make the delivery commitments that were promised to the customer. It is scary, my husband and I both work here and have over 20 years each.
Scared and Anonymous

New Berlin, WI

#7 Sep 25, 2008
cindy wrote:
This company is trying to make customers leave. We hold their freight and give them crappy service. We have laid so many off that we cannot make the delivery commitments that were promised to the customer. It is scary, my husband and I both work here and have over 20 years each.
Does anyone know of any sales layoffs? All are fearing a major cut any day now
Check this out

Dayton, NJ

#8 Sep 25, 2008
I was told that there is a place right next to DHL on Nestle Way that is hiring. The companies name is Lighting Source. I checked out their website and applied online. They seem to pay very well and have excellent benefits and great working conditions. www.lightningsource.com
justadhlemployee

San Jacinto, CA

#9 Sep 26, 2008
i work for dhl and personaly the union does nothing but take your money anyway!!!!
crazy johnny

Easton, PA

#10 Sep 28, 2008
I was sitting in the waiting area ready to be interviewed when I heard this story (on 9/24). Makes you feel real optimistic! Sounds like they wanted to unload higher paid workers, and now will bring in new ones at the starting salary. Great company!
teamsters

AOL

#11 Sep 28, 2008
they should be teamsters postl union
teamsters

AOL

#12 Sep 28, 2008
when does mangement fall
Eugene

Macungie, PA

#13 Sep 29, 2008
Scared and Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone know of any sales layoffs? All are fearing a major cut any day now
DHL fired 30% of management about several weeks ago.
Eugene

Macungie, PA

#14 Sep 29, 2008
cindy wrote:
Good point. I work for DHL also and they don't know how to run a company.
Eugene

Macungie, PA

#15 Sep 29, 2008
crazy johnny wrote:
I was sitting in the waiting area ready to be interviewed when I heard this story (on 9/24). Makes you feel real optimistic! Sounds like they wanted to unload higher paid workers, and now will bring in new ones at the starting salary. Great company!
Well, the higher paid salary workers are still working, the part-timers that they laid off had less than 5 years experience.
Eugene

Macungie, PA

#16 Sep 29, 2008
UNION YES wrote:
They reason why the union was voted out was that DHL used scare tactics and a union buster named Micheal Penn to lie to people.

The company spied on employees passing out union flyers, intimidated workers wearing union shirts and buttons, etc.

But, were still trying to organize the Breinigsville plant (I work at the Breinigsville plant)
crazy johnny

Easton, PA

#17 Sep 30, 2008
Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the higher paid salary workers are still working, the part-timers that they laid off had less than 5 years experience.
no kidding.....only part time package handlers were let go. I'm sure most of them were making more than $10.70. Why hire more package handlers after you lay off 89 of them?
exdhlsales

Aiea, HI

#18 Oct 1, 2008
800 sales reps get the axe this morning, leaving about 125 nationwide-considerably less than we had in legacy DHL. Can a U.S. Company be any more hated by it's own workers? What a monumental failure by DPWN.
heap

Lockport, IL

#19 Oct 3, 2008
as a dhl driver, 1st with airborne, for over 20 yrs, I knew dhl was going to be a money wasting company when they 1st took over. starting with going to a tailor to get measured for uniforms,new trucks that get less than 7 mpg, overtime out the roof due to retaining pitiful airborne mgmt,no restructuring of routes, same lame ideas that made airborne a break even company. nothing changed in the dhl takeover except new paint on trucks and uniforms. no fresh ideas, lower mgmt just programmed rats by upper mgmt that never appear at stations to see how they're run. unable to get rid of terrible drivers that milk the clock for overtime and mgmt lets it slide. Seen this pitiful sense of mgmt since day 1 and now its finally coming to an end.
JUAN BROOKLYN NY

New York, NY

#20 Oct 9, 2008
unite union members and non-union members??? Show unity in numbers scare them demanded answers from your teamster union those that have a union... I mean they have made enough money on all of you.... I have a brother that works for them for about 11 years started with airborne express.. I have been telling him to gather his members and demand meetings with their union.. People don't do anything until its to late. Your pensions your health care your family is at risk. The union always knows more then what they want you to believe and for those without union start a blog and get people involved you be surprise how people will responed in the community.... DEMAND ANSWERS !!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macungie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A ridiculously low salary for mayor of Allentown (Jul '07) Oct '17 weapon X 41
News Group aims to put up homeless families in churches Sep '17 schizoaffective 1
News Lehigh Valley area church events: In Your Congr... Sep '17 weapon X 33
News What About Bobby Bones? Aug '17 We Want Bobby 8
News Allentown's Udder Bar offers ice cream, gourmet... (May '17) Jun '17 weaponX 13
News 'Buyers love finished basements' : The Morning ... (Apr '07) May '17 silly rabbit 9
News Police: Two stole $200,000 in baby formula from... (Mar '07) Feb '17 silly rabbit 2

Macungie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macungie Mortgages