Seven prison guards arrested on charges of beating inmate

Feb 21, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Seven Georgia prison guards were arrested Monday on charges of beating an inmate, inflicting injuries so severe that the prisoner was in the hospital for "an extended period of time," according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Apr 30, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dontknowbutcomme nt

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2011

Judged:

If you have never worked in a prison then do not judge about incidents that you are not aware of. There are many things that happen behind those walls that the public never knows about, until a convicted felon gets beaten , what about the staff that has been assualted by the inmates. TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE IT RIGHT, BUT COME ON I AM SURE THE INMATE WAS NOT INNOCENT ON HIS ACTIONS!!!!!How about we talk about the pay raise we have not gotten in at least 5 years and the cost of living has continued to increase, working more for less and we are CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS NOT GUARDS, and we put our lifes on the line daily to protect the public with no thank you. WHEN DO WE START PROTECTING THE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS THIS IS THE YEAR 2011 NOT 1910 WE ARE NOT GUARDS. WE ARE PROFESSIONAL WORKERS ALSO!!!!!
best ever

Lumberton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2011

Judged:

dontknowbutcomment wrote:
If you have never worked in a prison then do not judge about incidents that you are not aware of. There are many things that happen behind those walls that the public never knows about, until a convicted felon gets beaten , what about the staff that has been assualted by the inmates. TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE IT RIGHT, BUT COME ON I AM SURE THE INMATE WAS NOT INNOCENT ON HIS ACTIONS!!!!!How about we talk about the pay raise we have not gotten in at least 5 years and the cost of living has continued to increase, working more for less and we are CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS NOT GUARDS, and we put our lifes on the line daily to protect the public with no thank you. WHEN DO WE START PROTECTING THE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS THIS IS THE YEAR 2011 NOT 1910 WE ARE NOT GUARDS. WE ARE PROFESSIONAL WORKERS ALSO!!!!!
and what does that have to do with 7 guys beating the #### out of one inmate?
justice

Clayton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

Judged:

What does beating someone up accomplish? Whether it is in prison or out? Does it change anything? Has it ever in a million years? There obviously is something majorly wrong with someone who wants and feels that physical infliction of any kind works. It solves nothing...zero...just like war, but yet this country continues to allow and accept it all...pathetic.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

Judged:

Im just curious what makes you certain the inmate was not innocent in his actions? Is it because he is in prison, he made a mistake to get himself there. So for the rest of his life he is to be blamed for any incident that he is involved in. Wow how stereotypical is that? And put your life on the line every day i mean come on how many correctional officers have been hospitalized by an inmate in the last 5 years in ga. 2 maybe 3 if i had to take a guess. So lets ease up on the self praise of courage and heroism just a bit.
know facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

Its a shame how inmates have been treated there at Macon state they don't even try to be good to inmates there they always getting treated worst than animals I have never seen a prison feed you three meals Mon threw Thursday but Friday -sunday two meals then they serve food that's old while the portion of food is for pre k not just that who wants to be treated they made thoes guys sleep with no heat and hot water during the winter I could go on about Macon I go there offten and its nasty they need to get rid of that warden there he is the main one behind it he hung them out to take the fall but he was there when thoes guys were being beat he ordered them to use force because of the strike it was peaceful they tried to make guys come out to beat them they were doing things to provoke inmates in to violence everyday they would not even give the decent sandwiches they gave them old food with mole on it so they should get time is beating on people okay at Macon state they r like slavery days the whole surrounding place
yall are wrong

Senoia, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2011

Judged:

I worked at Macon State for years. I was not an officers. I saw things from both sides that was not right! I know these officers and their families. They didnt do anything they shouldnt have. The inmates are telling you all things to make life in prison look horrible. They dont get feed old food, they do get hot water, and they my not get a check for their work but they are not paying the bills for the roof over their heads and food in their bodies. They are rewarded for the jobs they do several times a year while the staff is under paid and over worked. You all need to learn the "Inmate Game" before you go around and say things about people you dont know! Inmates at Macon State get treated better then the staff does!
yall are wrong

Senoia, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2011

Judged:

and one more thing! What about the people that were hurt or killed by the inmates that you all are talking so highly about? Do you think they believe the inmate did nothing wrong? Do you think their families are worried about how they are being treated after the crimes they committed to their loved ones? Ask yourselve if your were the victum of the crime that put them in prison and would you care if they did something wrong behind bars and were punished for it?
Yonder

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2011

Judged:

All prisons and jails are evil, horrible places, that is why it takes a court order to get people to go there. People are sent there as a punishment--so much time in the place in comparison to the magnitude of the offense. Prison is used as a threat to extort money from an unwilling public, in fines or imprisonment for non-compliance to plunder, insurance, or other forms of regualtion--it is a method used to control citizens and make them do what would not if the force of law and fear of prison were not a part of the system.
It is a carry-over from the dark ages, an anachronism that should not be tolerated in any free society.
When I was in the Twiggs County jail I mentioned to one of the officials there about how nice the jails were in Wyoming, where everyone has real beds, with pillows, real bathrooms with tub and toilets, and good decent food, and no drug offenders; that's right, in Wyoming you can't go to jail for smoking pot, you have to commit a real crime, like public drunkenness, or hitch hiking, which is a jailable offense.
His comment was "what would be the point?" as if jails should be the way they are--a very undesirable place to be--the point is that the way that wards of the State are treated reflects the overall decency of that state, and Georgia is one of the worse offenders in the nation.
Anonymous

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

Judged:

They're prisoners.....beat 'em
goodoldays

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2011

It amazes me. I do not think anyone should be beaten.
However, prison should be like it was back in the day. Maybe if people really feared the prison, they might make an effort to follow the rules of society.
Do I care about the care of a child molester, killer? Do I care about a serial rapist or killer? No, I do not. I think IF they are caught red handed and there is no doubt that the person did it...get the firing squad.
sympathy for the inmates

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Judged:

I am not, I repeat not impressed with the correctional officers. What i am reading from you is that your position is not to guard the inmates yet u a correctional officer. hum
Nomorejustice

Evans, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2011

Judged:

My heart goes out to the inmates and the correctional officers. This is a sinnful world we live in people but you know what will change that PRAYER. I told my son he must pray and things will change.
lmp

Athens, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

Judged:

Nomorejustice wrote:
My heart goes out to the inmates and the correctional officers. This is a sinnful world we live in people but you know what will change that PRAYER. I told my son he must pray and things will change.
Yeah, prayer is never wrong. It's encouraging to me the Bible explains that very soon Jehovah God is going to fix this mess. And what a blessing to have Jesus Christ as our King.
Correctional Officer Wife

Glennville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

Judged:

best ever wrote:
<quoted text> and what does that have to do with 7 guys beating the #### out of one inmate?
I know what you mean. My husband comes home and sometimes the look on his face says it all. People whom work in a prison see things that others would never car to see, or things that just unexplainable horrable. The inmates up there try to run things and act all big and bad and push some of the officers around and the poor female officers the get taunted and everything else. I want to say thank you to every correctional officer out there you keep the piece and keep the convicted in tow to the best of your abilities. I pray for you guys all the time. Prisons any more are hotels. My family goes with out cable and stuff because the pay has stayed the same but the cost of living has gone up. But the inmates have cable and other things. Its sick to me. But again i thank you.
ntaylor

Jonesboro, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

i know how police lie just because they have a badge do not have the right to beat inmates my son is there and hope that he is safe there god be with him.
shut up

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

Judged:

prison guards are wanna be cops that are either too stupid or have something in their background that prevents them from being a cop!
Sylvia

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

If the guards can't do the job in the correct way.They need a different line of work.All prison systems need a re over haul in Ga.Staff and the way it is run.
Sylvia

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

If the guards can't do the job in the correct way.They need a different line of work.All prison systems need a re over haul in Ga.Staff and the way it is run. Judges and the court systems.DA's and Judges act as GODS
tired co

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

Judged:

I can't help but marvel at these idiots that are on the inmates side. Like others have said we are correctional officers, not guards. I don't guard anything. I make sure there is order and the institution and dorms are secure. We aren't given a stick and a set of keys and told "get to it". I bet you idiots didn't know they had big flat panel TVs and X-boxes in the dorms did you? They all get fed. They all have hot water. They live better than some of you do. Wake the fuck up. You feel sorry for murderers and child molesters? If you don't like the way its being done you come do it.
INSIDER

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

Judged:

To everyone, I visited Macon State frequently for the past couple years.....THANK GOD MY HUSBAND IS HOME NOW, but many of the officers were cool to me. I had a run in with a couple that tried to be SUPER SAVE A HOE/SUPER COPS! Some of them acted as if they were God and judged daily. Yes, my husband committed a crime that landed him in prison and I reminded him of that every day. Never made him feel like he was totally innocent. I work for the State of Georgia and have worked since age 17. Have a Master's degree and pay taxes so to the person that says they don't pay for their beds/room and board. No he didn't but I do. My tax dollars pay for it. I also spent hundreds of dollars each month on food and clothing. The food is not suitable for anyone. It is cold and nasty. No I didn't work there but a couple of my good friends did and still do. No they are not to be eating 5 star restaurant food but they are human. My hat is off to my good friends that remain at Macon State Prison.....Mrs. McMillian and Black Boy (lol) Mrs. Green, Deputy Warden Hinton just to name a few. They made my husband stay more comfortable......we appreciate it. Macon State had got out of hand for a while with the strike and them shutting of the water provoking more violence. I'm sorry for the lady wife of a CO that has to go with out cable.....we watching all the channels over here. Maybe ya husband needs to find a job that pays more money or do you work? If not consider getting a job or better job. My husband works 7days a week and I work 5. We making shit happen. We are happy. No thanks to the Georgia Department of Corrections. When he was in there he didn't bother anyone and most if the CO's knew this and didn't bother him (he stayed to his self) but yet there were still others that picked with him and when they did...YES HE GAVE THEM HELL!!! To all the CO's I have told many of the guards on numerous occasions, if you don't like your job QUIT or complain to your superiors they the ones got you working visitation where you don't wanna be. Or possibly get more than a GED (which most all the inmates have as well) and look for another line of work. I don't wanna hear the inmates complaining or the CO's. All of the above need to man up or woman up and do what you know gotta be done. Just because the inmates are in prison don't mean they don't have rights.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Macon Discussions

Search the Macon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr The WB 49,762
Review: Rat Rodz Cycles LLC (Dec '13) Jul 21 Casey Greene 3
Review: Open MRI Of Macon Jul 17 Joel 1
Crystal Thorne (Jan '10) Jul 16 Iknowspring333 34
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 16 what 2,045
Georgia - Baby Left in Car Dies (Jul '07) Jul 12 Mee 363
Mistreated Dog Jul 11 Cedrick 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Macon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Macon People Search