Macomb commissioners delay action on ...

Macomb commissioners delay action on balancing budget

There are 25 comments on the Detroit News story from Jan 4, 2009, titled Macomb commissioners delay action on balancing budget. In it, Detroit News reports that:

Macomb County residents and employees will have to wait until 2009 to know whether massive government layoffs or a tax increase will be necessary for officials to balance the budget for the coming year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bigtime

Lakeland, MI

#1 Jan 6, 2009
time to cut the fat starting at the top
Mr Obvious

Grosse Pointe, MI

#2 Feb 4, 2009
I see that the workers are being asked to sacrifice pay and health bennies. As post #1 points out - what about the commissioners?

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2009/02/0...
No More

United States

#3 Feb 4, 2009
How about we cut ties with all of them and have a job fair for the recently unemployed to fill those jobs.

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

#4 Feb 4, 2009
They are dooming themselves. I bet you any amount that the majority who voted against had the highest seniority. Don't people get it. I stated last year that we are going to see municipalities going bankrupt. I believe it was written in response to No Mores concerns about union benefits, pensions etc.. It will all come out in the wash. My fear is that these poor folks just don't get it. I do not want to see anyone lose there jobs but folks need to wake up and smell the coffee. 25% unemployment is coming. I believe we also need to look at the pay scales of some of our own here in the Shores. Most of our department heads pay scales are unrealisitic and now exceed the private sector. The benefits plans are even worse. But the chronies will stick together. They will soon realize they will fall together. And you can take dat to da bank.
No More

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2009
Because the ones with seniority figure the cuts won't be deep enough so they don't care. First round of cuts is rumored to be 17%.
No More

United States

#6 Feb 4, 2009
17 Workers not 17%.
Mr Obvious

Grosse Pointe, MI

#7 Feb 4, 2009
There are some here that believe the the circle should be broken.(Scratch the back Grease the palm Crowd at 11 & Jeff) SB and No More and Mel make some great arguments as well as Jack and Mike. WWKT1 Well that may be a different animal.
Never the less we have a watchdog style collective that now is activating changes to the good ole boys network. And that can't be all that bad for working man that lives here.

“It's Time for Change!”

Since: Sep 08

St. Clair Shores, MI

#8 Feb 4, 2009
ShoresBlogger wrote:
They are dooming themselves. I bet you any amount that the majority who voted against had the highest seniority. Don't people get it. I stated last year that we are going to see municipalities going bankrupt. I believe it was written in response to No Mores concerns about union benefits, pensions etc.. It will all come out in the wash. My fear is that these poor folks just don't get it. I do not want to see anyone lose there jobs but folks need to wake up and smell the coffee. 25% unemployment is coming. I believe we also need to look at the pay scales of some of our own here in the Shores. Most of our department heads pay scales are unrealisitic and now exceed the private sector. The benefits plans are even worse. But the chronies will stick together. They will soon realize they will fall together. And you can take dat to da bank.
This year is going to be a big test for our city leaders. This idea that we have a 5 year forecast model and if it's in the budget we approve it non-sense needs to change. I bet that 5 year forecast model didn't include the economic crisis that started last year, nor the loss of tax revenue due to falling property values. All of which still hasn't fully been factored into the forecast model. The projects and request coming before council proves that fact.

Can anyone point out one major thing that council or the city has decided not to buy or spend money on in the last year?

We should only be spending money on what we need not what we want or would like to have.

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

#9 Feb 4, 2009
dabambam wrote:
<quoted text>
This year is going to be a big test for our city leaders. This idea that we have a 5 year forecast model and if it's in the budget we approve it non-sense needs to change. I bet that 5 year forecast model didn't include the economic crisis that started last year, nor the loss of tax revenue due to falling property values. All of which still hasn't fully been factored into the forecast model. The projects and request coming before council proves that fact.
Can anyone point out one major thing that council or the city has decided not to buy or spend money on in the last year?
We should only be spending money on what we need not what we want or would like to have.
Yes they decided not to spend money on the bid process!
Citizen Kane

Salem, OR

#10 Feb 4, 2009
I heard the Dem's on the commission would rather raise taxes than do any cutting. Yep, raise the millage on the people who haven't foreclosed yet to make up for the lost revenue from those who have. The rest of us are just trying to hang on. I'm still waiting from them to stop raising my assessments. Guess I should tell the News that my house miraculously went up in value last year. Keep it up and I'll foreclose too. There's no benefit to being a homeowner these days.
SCS Resident

Columbus, OH

#11 Feb 4, 2009
They're going to need to can a lot more than 17 people to get to the $10M they wer looking for.

Personally, I'd start with the Treasurer, but that ain't gonna happen... ;^)
Jack Downey

Sterling Heights, MI

#12 Feb 4, 2009
ShoresBlogger wrote:
<quoted text>Yes they decided not to spend money on the bid process!
Thats nothing, as I stated at the council meetings in the past when I had my projections in place, they need to place a moratorium on all purchases and expenditures and only purchase what is absolutely necessary, not the way they have been spending. If Hison was a purchasing manager at Detroit Diesel, no wonder hes not working, he must have misquoted some projections their also and I know for sure Roger Penske wouldn't listen to him the second day.
Mr Obvious

Grosse Pointe, MI

#14 Feb 4, 2009
dabambam wrote:
<quoted text>
Can anyone point out one major thing that council or the city has decided not to buy or spend money on in the last year
Yeah, fireworks!
Mr Obvious

Grosse Pointe, MI

#15 Feb 5, 2009
Our new commisioner Mike Boyle really has been quiet about his new position. He was a hoot when on council and the Mayor had a tough time censoring him. I'll have to get out to a MCC meeting and see how things are going. I'll have to ask when he going to address the council from the podium on county issues instead of the power squadron highlights.
Jack Downey

Garden City, MI

#16 Feb 5, 2009
Mr Obvious wrote:
Our new commisioner Mike Boyle really has been quiet about his new position. He was a hoot when on council and the Mayor had a tough time censoring him. I'll have to get out to a MCC meeting and see how things are going. I'll have to ask when he going to address the council from the podium on county issues instead of the power squadron highlights.
When "Ted" tells him it ok! Another one "Uncle Ted" did and does operate with strings overhead. This is called puppet strings.
No More

United States

#17 Feb 5, 2009
Up to 200 people this morning according to the news.

Since: Oct 08

Madison Heights, MI

#18 Feb 5, 2009
No More wrote:
Because the ones with seniority figure the cuts won't be deep enough so they don't care. First round of cuts is rumored to be 17%.
They care! My husband has 13 he still cares.
No More

United States

#19 Feb 5, 2009
Did he vote and how did he vote.
Jack Downey

Brea, CA

#20 Feb 5, 2009
What I would like to see published and sent to each household, is an agenda of the commissioners meetings. What is voted on and who voted which way on each item. This would give the public a little inside information on the people they elected to represnt them.
Info Please

Pompano Beach, FL

#21 Feb 6, 2009
ShoresBlogger wrote:
www.pensiontsunami.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parking in front of other people's homes (Sep '11) May 8 Tuckpendelton 49
Future of selfridge air national guard base May 8 crewdog 2
Trump and Republicans Work against Working clas... May 3 Tim 1
Clinton Revival Center /Family Worship Center o... (Mar '17) May 1 I go there 8
Review: Village Square Co-Operative (Feb '09) Apr 26 jerry 35
East Side is for retards Mar '18 Brutus 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Michigan (... (Oct '10) Mar '18 Guest 26

Macomb Jobs

Personal Finance

Macomb Mortgages