Smoking ban enforcement begins at 6 a.m. Saturday in Metro Detroit

Apr 30, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit News

Health officials from Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties will begin enforcing the state's new ban on smoking inside public buildings at 6 a.m. Saturday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Xanadu

Gaylord, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

Judged:

Have any of these establishments considered 'phoning their insurance agent to learn about a reduction in their insurance cost(s).

We've all seen servers wipe ashtrays with paper napkins over the trash containers.

Time for someone to call their insurance agent.

Just sayin'
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

Judged:

We've all seen smokers chuck cigarette butts on the ground. Such butt chucking starts fires which have been known to cost millions. There was such a fire in Solomons Island, Md. back in 2006. That fire distroyed Bowen's Inn, and Condo next door.
Fire Marshall Bill

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

just candid wrote:
We've all seen smokers chuck cigarette butts on the ground. Such butt chucking starts fires which have been known to cost millions. There was such a fire in Solomons Island, Md. back in 2006. That fire distroyed Bowen's Inn, and Condo next door.
Yea something you have to take drastic measure to rid places of ramped cockroach infestation. You know how those Non Smokers transport the cockroaches each time they move. So it doesn't take long before the roach infestation is way beyond control and has to be dealt with in drastic measures and sometime fire is the only way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
<quoted text>Yea something you have to take drastic measure to rid places of ramped cockroach infestation. You know how Smokers transport the cockroaches each time they move. So it doesn't take long before the roach infestation is way beyond control and has to be dealt with in drastic measures and sometime fire is the only way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
We know your wife has a problem, but you shouldn't burn up your own home to get rid of your kids.
Fire Marshall Bill

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

just candid wrote:
<quoted text>We know your wife has a problem, but you shouldn't burn up your own home to get rid of your kids.
Sorry, I'm not married.. why buy the cow when the milk is FREE.! Plus I don't have any kids.. Nice try but you lose, and I'm sure your use to losing, because you are a loser.
Just Peachy

Sterling, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Best thing about this State is: if you have a business the government will tax you out of business, or find some way to get rid of your customers. The only thing they needed to do was to make the dining areas non smoking. As far as a bar or a lounge. This should have been the choice of the owners not the government. Keep up the good work Michigan Government. At the rate your going you will be the last one left. Please turn off the lights when you look to move.
Government Foe

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Just Peachy wrote:
Best thing about this State is: if you have a business the government will tax you out of business, or find some way to get rid of your customers. The only thing they needed to do was to make the dining areas non smoking. As far as a bar or a lounge. This should have been the choice of the owners not the government. Keep up the good work Michigan Government. At the rate your going you will be the last one left. Please turn off the lights when you look to move.
The only thing they need to do is stop believing they know what's best for you and I. We are capable of making our own decisions about our own lives including where we want to eat, sleep and travel. It's up to a business owner to decide what type of patrons they want in their establishment and the choice of everyone else to decide if they want to contribute to that establishment or not.

F*CK the government.
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Most drunks and degenerate riffraff are all people, who smoke cigarettes.
Just Peachy

Sterling, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

And most people that are out looking for a COW to get there milk for free are keep the medical field in business. Keep up the good work.
Dr Phil Says

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Just Peachy wrote:
And most people that are out looking for a COW to get there milk for free are keep the medical field in business. Keep up the good work.
How do you figure. 80% of all STD's are being spread by Non Smokers.. So if dont go banging Non Smokers I should be safe. Besides women who smoke are much cleaner.

Just a reminder: its Saturday and time for all you Non Smokers to take you weekly Shower.

Please be kind and wash the Big FAT Behind.!
TruthBeTold

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing they need to do is stop believing they know what's best for you and I. We are capable of making our own decisions about our own lives including where we want to eat, sleep and travel. It's up to a business owner to decide what type of patrons they want in their establishment and the choice of everyone else to decide if they want to contribute to that establishment or not.
F*CK the government.
If they put it on the ballot cut and dry, it would have been the same thing.
This is democracy at work, and whether anyone likes it or not...the majority of citizens do NOT want this activity to be performed in public venues that are enclosed! When 80% of a people do not smoke, but the 20% that do are dictating the laws or where people can go...then there is a problem!

If it was 50/50 or even a third...but its not its only 20% of our population who smoke and forcing nonsmokers to endure the obnoxious odor and potential health risk OR stay home.
There is something very wrong with that thinking!

How many bars in Royal Oak were non-smoking GF? I can tell you that I was there last weekend and Woody's wasn't and neither was Memphis Smoke. In order to go to any bar there I WAS FORCED to endure the noxious smell and potential health affects on me!

Twenty percent will not dictate to the 80%, its simply not realistic in a civilized society!

By the way...other than that, how ya been!
Michaelbb

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

I'm not a smoker but one thing i can't stand is, a jump on the band wagon,
self rightous none smoker. A jerk off, fault fineder.
Wait until you find out, all the other things thats killing you.
I hear the food we eat....Oh but wait ...coffee..will be the next
number one killer.... You and your clean bill of health!
Hey..i've got to go play tennis...until next time.
Just my thoughts,Michael.
Government Foe

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>If they put it on the ballot cut and dry, it would have been the same thing.
This is democracy at work, and whether anyone likes it or not...the majority of citizens do NOT want this activity to be performed in public venues that are enclosed! When 80% of a people do not smoke, but the 20% that do are dictating the laws or where people can go...then there is a problem!
If it was 50/50 or even a third...but its not its only 20% of our population who smoke and forcing nonsmokers to endure the obnoxious odor and potential health risk OR stay home.
There is something very wrong with that thinking!
How many bars in Royal Oak were non-smoking GF? I can tell you that I was there last weekend and Woody's wasn't and neither was Memphis Smoke. In order to go to any bar there I WAS FORCED to endure the noxious smell and potential health affects on me!
Twenty percent will not dictate to the 80%, its simply not realistic in a civilized society!
By the way...other than that, how ya been!
I agree, TBT, but I believe they should have gone that route and put it on the ballot. Then it wouldn't be direct government intervention.

The two venues mentioned are smoke free though Memphis Smoke, i believe, allowed smoking on the roof. Mr. Bs has non-smoking sections and smoking in the bar area, though, not now of course. Many other venues had smoke free already in place but all bars did not.

I agree about the hazards and smell as it irritates me as well, but even as a non-smoker, I still know it's not right for government daddy to tell an owner who to accept as patrons. I can't be bias just because the law favors my habit. It's still a matter of principle. Being a non-smoker, I have the choice to not visit a smoke or half smoking establishment.

I've been doing well with anticipation for summer so I can hop on the bike and cruise. Everything well with you? You've been busy or just not participating as much in here?
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, TBT, but I believe they should have gone that route and put it on the ballot. Then it wouldn't be direct government intervention.
The two venues mentioned are smoke free though Memphis Smoke, i believe, allowed smoking on the roof. Mr. Bs has non-smoking sections and smoking in the bar area, though, not now of course. Many other venues had smoke free already in place but all bars did not.
I agree about the hazards and smell as it irritates me as well, but even as a non-smoker, I still know it's not right for government daddy to tell an owner who to accept as patrons. I can't be bias just because the law favors my habit. It's still a matter of principle. Being a non-smoker, I have the choice to not visit a smoke or half smoking establishment.
I've been doing well with anticipation for summer so I can hop on the bike and cruise. Everything well with you? You've been busy or just not participating as much in here?
Woddys was pretty smokey when I was there last Saturday...I thought Memphis was too, but we only stood in the doorway fro about 20 minutes, and it was sort late into the evening, so I am not 100% on that.

I have been pretty good, been hammering the smokers irrational nonsense on topix in the smoking threads, other than that not too much.
I think I need to come back to the local threads, and leave the obsessed smokers to their craziness. I miss the old days of smacking down the goofballs...but there is always another who steps in their place.

Looking forward to consistent warm weather, too.

Talk to ya soon!

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Here come the inspectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazmat_suit

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Macomb Discussions

Search the Macomb Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Obama care and the government Tue looking good at 45 1
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Review: Baghdad Restaurant Jul 6 Zein 1
Support grows for New Haven boy whose mission i... Jul 6 reality is a crutch 1
Direct tv refer a friend (Sep '12) Jul 4 Val Snyder 44
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jun 30 TruthBeTold 5,481
Review: Village Square Co-Operative (Feb '09) Jun 26 Cynthia 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Macomb Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Macomb People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE