Macomb Co. faces big deficit

Macomb Co. faces big deficit

There are 176 comments on the www.freep.com story from Aug 12, 2008, titled Macomb Co. faces big deficit. In it, www.freep.com reports that:

Macomb County can no longer ignore its serious financial problems and must immediately resort to substantial layoffs and cuts in services in light of a grimmer-than-expected budget forecast, finance leaders and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freep.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Haywood J Blowmie

Grosse Pointe, MI

#172 Sep 19, 2008
The greatest man to ever live in Macomb is......
St Clair shores CM Ken Podolski.
Anybody who can get a lifetime payday with benefits THEN go down the block and be handed another $100,000+ job with no city management experience that will ALSO add lifetime $$$ gets my vote!
The People

United States

#173 Sep 19, 2008
Only he alone can save us now then.
DShinka

Ten Mile, TN

#174 Sep 19, 2008
Haywood J Blowmie wrote:
The greatest man to ever live in Macomb is......
St Clair shores CM Ken Podolski.
Anybody who can get a lifetime payday with benefits THEN go down the block and be handed another $100,000+ job with no city management experience that will ALSO add lifetime $$$ gets my vote!
He be the man even though his last name don't show it. He be getin my vote to, he da man with all them penshins.

MDN

“God Forgives You! G.F.Y.”

Since: Feb 08

St.Clair Shores Since 1957

#175 Sep 19, 2008
The People wrote:
Will the last resident leaving Macomb shut the lights off?
btw..who is the greatest man that ever lived in Macomb?
He was born and raised in Canada , and also part Arab .
Joe Dirt

Macomb, MI

#176 Sep 19, 2008
The question is, why care? Why care that our $$ go to an elite bunch of trough feeding public employees. Who is out there helping those of us that have no job due to downsizing. I ask what makes government workers so dang undispensible. Hell they use 3 people to do what 1 can do for a company that must profit to stay alive. We taxpayers don't owe them a Job!!!!!!!!!!

MDN

#177 Sep 19, 2008
Joe Dirt wrote:
The question is, why care? Why care that our $$ go to an elite bunch of trough feeding public employees. Who is out there helping those of us that have no job due to downsizing. I ask what makes government workers so dang undispensible. Hell they use 3 people to do what 1 can do for a company that must profit to stay alive. We taxpayers don't owe them a Job!!!!!!!!!!
If SCS would give the tax payer work instead of the landscape company and a certain family , I would have no problems !

Don't get me wrong ,I am happy to see the Mexicans working also , but it's not really fair for a resident that needs work.

I would like to mention one more thing and that is , our hourly employees do work very hard and we need them !
Schlimmerman

Ann Arbor, MI

#179 Sep 21, 2008
Yes, happy to see the mexicans working to take over this country. We need to put our couch-potatoe, video-game playin, overweight sons and daughters back in the seat of responsibility and chores. And then, maybe then, we wouldn't need so many landscape crews, and vegitable-pickin illegal immigrants!

MDN

#180 Sep 21, 2008
Schlimmerman wrote:
Yes, happy to see the mexicans working to take over this country. We need to put our couch-potatoe, video-game playin, overweight sons and daughters back in the seat of responsibility and chores. And then, maybe then, we wouldn't need so many landscape crews, and vegitable-pickin illegal immigrants!
I know a lot of kids that will work , unfortunately the landscape co doesn't want to pay our children , because they can work the others , with out paying the over time !
No More

United States

#181 Sep 22, 2008
Well know it looks like the deficit has creped into this fiscal year.
Haywood J Blowmie

Grosse Pointe, MI

#182 Sep 22, 2008
Let Ken Podolski do the landscaping...He has no previous landscaping experience...which makes him just as qualified for the landscaping job as being City Manager. Now he can milk the pension "machine" for 3 times.
Jack Downey

United States

#183 Sep 22, 2008
Haywood J Blowmie wrote:
Let Ken Podolski do the landscaping...He has no previous landscaping experience...which makes him just as qualified for the landscaping job as being City Manager. Now he can milk the pension "machine" for 3 times.
Believe me he doesn't have to do any Lanscape work, to milk various pension systems. The thing that puzzles me is that as dumb as he is, this council renewed his contract for two year, sounds to me as though they are working together somehow, at our expense. I totally agree with you as far as his qualifications, yes he should be cutting grass with a landscape company. I look at it this way, I don't mind paying $ 45,000.00 for a Lincoln, but on the other hand, I don't want to pay
$ 45,000.00 and end up with a Neon and this is about the size of our problem. Also, at future council meetings look at the way each council member votes on various issues and keep track over a period of time, this should indicate something about where we are going. At this critical economic time why are we continuing to spend unnecessary money on speculative items. Just like the last meeting when Mark Moffitt questioned DPW Director Kurt Dumas about purchasing a new truck for that new salt system. The reason he questioned it is because he knows Dumas messed up and purchased the truck already, thinking he was purchasing the salt system. One covers for the other all the time. However we will not solve anything with the split council that we still have, with Hison being the swing vote.
The People

United States

#184 Sep 22, 2008
Maybe we can use this truck example to explain what the hell has happened to this great country and the path it has gone down? Actions without consequences? Is that what it is? Is this what happens to a generation of kids who never gotten spanked? A generation of "I could do no wrong" babies. A generation of "Red Diaper Doper" babies.

MDN

#185 Sep 26, 2008
I see our County Treasure has put signs out for his re-election ,Hmmmm is any body running against him?

Macomb County is on the brink of sinking , and Mr. Ted is running a campaign , with nobody running against him.

Whats more important ? Focusing on the problems , or the name recognition game ?
The People

United States

#186 Sep 26, 2008
Anyone that knows how to handle money that could have run against him has already left Macomb.
No More

United States

#187 Oct 7, 2008
All this time and the only cuts they could come up with are 700k.

What a joke.

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

#188 Oct 7, 2008
No More wrote:
All this time and the only cuts they could come up with are 700k.
What a joke.
lmao
It really is comical

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Midevil themed restaurant Apr 27 Jen 1
Stop preying on us ! Mar '17 A civilized person 9
News Redford Township may not be among nation's safe... (Sep '06) Mar '17 Louis 131
News DOJ Gets Countersued To Keep Mosque Out Of Ster... Mar '17 BB Board 1
Macomb County Police Abuse (Feb '15) Mar '17 Alert 2 3
Why did Ashley get arrested? (Aug '13) Mar '17 Facebook Friend 4
Clinton Revival Center /Family Worship Center o... Mar '17 sam 2

Macomb Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macomb Mortgages