Macomb Co. faces big deficit

Macomb Co. faces big deficit

There are 176 comments on the www.freep.com story from Aug 12, 2008, titled Macomb Co. faces big deficit. In it, www.freep.com reports that:

Macomb County can no longer ignore its serious financial problems and must immediately resort to substantial layoffs and cuts in services in light of a grimmer-than-expected budget forecast, finance leaders and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freep.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

#1 Aug 12, 2008
While the fools on this site keep up there immature games. I wonder if any of them have a clue of the real problems that our community faces. Such as a bankrupt county and a soon to be bankrupt city.
Jack Downey

United States

#2 Aug 12, 2008
ShoresBlogger wrote:
While the fools on this site keep up there immature games. I wonder if any of them have a clue of the real problems that our community faces. Such as a bankrupt county and a soon to be bankrupt city.
Certainly I understand the problem fully. The problem is to try and convey the message to the ordinary resident, it falls on deaf ears, or they actually don't want to admit what is going on in the city, county, state and country. We are in deep, deep trouble and people just don't realize it, this is not a recession, we are in a full blown depression, however the best propaganda machine known to man, which is owned by the United States, is at work and doing a fine job,so the people won't panic and stop spending. Wait until some of these other banks start going side ways, then its all over. See then, how much compassion North Korea,Iraq, Iran and the rest of the world have for us. We'll be a third world country if we don't open our eyes and this could happen faster than a blink of an eye. Wake up!
Joe

Ferndale, MI

#3 Aug 12, 2008
ShoresBlogger wrote:
Don't forget to add snobby bitches from Saint Claire Shores to that list of issues.
Jack Downey

United States

#4 Aug 12, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget to add snobby bitches from Saint Claire Shores to that list of issues.
May I ask what this has to do with the topic, "economy" another mental miracle. Joe, maybe I should apologize, I just thought you would understand what economy means. Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't the intent.

MDN

“God Forgives You! G.F.Y.”

Since: Feb 08

St.Clair Shores Since 1957

#5 Aug 13, 2008
ShoresBlogger wrote:
Have no fear Uncle Ted is near , and he will pull the money out of his rear ,if you believe that then you will believe anything !
I wonder who would be the last people to get laid off or their jobs cut ,Hmmmm.
No More

United States

#6 Aug 13, 2008
MDN wrote:
<quoted text>Have no fear Uncle Ted is near , and he will pull the money out of his rear ,if you believe that then you will believe anything !
I wonder who would be the last people to get laid off or their jobs cut ,Hmmmm.
Of course he will, did you every have any doubt. Of course that money will be in the form of a tax increase possibly up to 25% on property. All this to cover an overinflated budget.

Get the unions out of government and back in the hands of the people.

MDN

#7 Aug 14, 2008
Just out of curiosity , does our County have some kind of a rainy day fund ?

I hope that they would make cuts , before touching monies that might be needed in the near future .
No More

United States

#8 Aug 14, 2008
A rainy day fund wouldn't make a dent as the deficit this year is nothing compared to the deficit projected for next year. Next year's deficit is set at this time to be over $30 million dollars on a $461 million dollar budget where over 60% of that money is for payroll.

There was a nice oped piece in todays paper about the issues facing Macomb and the rest of the State due to years of not having a spine.

MDN

#9 Aug 14, 2008
No More wrote:
A rainy day fund wouldn't make a dent as the deficit this year is nothing compared to the deficit projected for next year. Next year's deficit is set at this time to be over $30 million dollars on a $461 million dollar budget where over 60% of that money is for payroll.
There was a nice oped piece in todays paper about the issues facing Macomb and the rest of the State due to years of not having a spine.
I understand that a rainy day fund would only have X-amount of dollars in it , however I am still curious if Macomb county has one , and how much is in there.

I would also be in favor of cutting all of the unnecessary salary jobs .

I am also in favor of keeping all non felons out of our jails.

When times were good I believe almost anybody could have managed our County , now that times are tough lets see how good our elected officals really are !

It's about time they actually work for our money , and I also believe that we already give them more than enough money !

“Today”

St. Clair Shores, MI

#10 Aug 14, 2008
MDN wrote:
<quoted text>
When times were good I believe almost anybody could have managed our County , now that times are tough lets see how good our elected officals really are !
This is exactly my concerns with our city government. The city can no longer function on cruise control. Then when the city starts playing games with our money and siding with vendors it should really raise our eyebrows.
No More

United States

#11 Aug 14, 2008
Here is the editorial from todays Detroit News:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...

That is because they don't care about you, they only care about alphabet organizations that will keep them elected. At least at the county and state level not so much in the city level. However the city has a larger problem than the county as they have placed more tax dollars into payroll.

“Today”

St. Clair Shores, MI

#12 Aug 14, 2008
No More wrote:
That is because they don't care about you, they only care about alphabet organizations that will keep them elected. At least at the county and state level not so much in the city level. However the city has a larger problem than the county as they have placed more tax dollars into payroll.
Great article! I will post it to the news section.
Political Exile

United States

#14 Aug 15, 2008
No More wrote:
Great post, unfortunately, most 'voters' are too ignorant to read it. Suggest all go to county web site and take a look at the budget. Most of this 'deficit' is a numbers game. Like you want to spent $1000 to do something next year, but you don't save for it or have it, you call that a deficit! How can Teddy Boy be investing almost $200 million a day of the county's money as he said not too long ago when he didn't know anyone was listening, if we have such a problem? Agree that must change the way business is done in both city, state and county.
SCS Resident

Columbus, OH

#15 Aug 15, 2008
MDN wrote:
<quoted text>I understand that a rainy day fund would only have X-amount of dollars in it , however I am still curious if Macomb county has one , and how much is in there.
Macomb Daily reported the surplus is $37 million; probable deficits are $7M and $33M for this year and next. We have a structural deficit and it's time for them to fix it instead of glossing it over with a tax increase like the state did.

btw -- time to ask your candidates for charter commission what they plan to do about taxes. Neither of the two I grilled outside my polling place at the primary favored a cap on taxes because they felt the county exec needed the "flexibility to respond to conditions." Read: raise taxes at will. Here's a perfect example of why we need to pay attention to what they're doing. The "Reform Michigan Government Now" initiative has been revealed as a Democratic-Union plan to "win" by changing the rules, don't be surprised if the county charter is the same.

Since: Jun 08

St. Clair Shores

#16 Aug 15, 2008
WAS WHO KNOW THINKING 1 wrote:
Locking people up for child support when they still make an effort to make payments doesn't help. How many tax dollars are paying to keep people in jail for CHILD SUPPORT? Then these people lose there jobs, and get further behind. I thought jail was for criminals. If someone doesn't make payments at all then the deserve jail. If an effort is made in this terrible economy then quit paying all this money to room and feed non-criminals. We don't even have room for real criminals anymore. At this rate were gonna have to build a couple new jails. Is there money for that?
If you read the article in the Det News, you will learn that: Part of the problem confronting the county is an anticipated $10.3 million decline in property tax revenues from this year's total because of slipping property values, coupled with a loss of an additional $1 million in real estate transfer taxes because of slowing home sales.

Perhaps you may have noticed the "depressing" housing market.

You might want to read another article: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article ?
This one refers to Oakland County's budget.

“Today”

St. Clair Shores, MI

#17 Aug 15, 2008
WAS WHO KNOW THINKING 1 wrote:
Locking people up for child support when they still make an effort to make payments doesn't help. How many tax dollars are paying to keep people in jail for CHILD SUPPORT? Then these people lose there jobs, and get further behind. I thought jail was for criminals. If someone doesn't make payments at all then the deserve jail. If an effort is made in this terrible economy then quit paying all this money to room and feed non-criminals. We don't even have room for real criminals anymore. At this rate were gonna have to build a couple new jails. Is there money for that?
LMAO Sounds like a personal problem. I am sure all of those dead beats gave every spare penny after food and shelter. BS. How much money are the taxpayers saving by being tough on these scumbags.
Lets let them go so everyone can pay more for "their" kids.
No More

United States

#18 Aug 15, 2008
It is a shame we actually have to fund people to go after these deadbeat parents.

Funny how we notice a "depressed" housing market which followed an "overinflated" one, but yet they have yet to notice anything other raising taxes to keep the unions happy.
No More

Detroit, MI

#20 Aug 16, 2008
How exactly don't you have it? You had it when you were married. that child deserves it. It is his money.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#21 Aug 18, 2008
Looks like someone has been busted for not paying for his children. I would care to say he lives with his mommy. A husband or even a ex-husband was any sort of a man he has no problem paying for his children. I raised my children and they are on their own now so I know about paying for children. I know about paying for grand children as well.

MDN

#22 Aug 18, 2008
Macomb County will get out of this , because we have an ex-banker in charge !
Ted has seen a lot worse than this , is a matter in fact ,this County is just peanuts to this great man !

I wouldn't put it past him ,if one day he becomes a profit !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trade GF pics (Feb '15) Dec 3 Ronnie 5
Clinton Revival Center /Family Worship Center o... (Mar '17) Nov 27 Jussayin 6
News Report: Rep. Conyers settled complaint over sex... Nov 23 Julia 9
Looking For Mystery Shoppers! Nov 20 Joseph McArdle 1
Are Utica Police, Shelby Township Police and Ju... (Sep '08) Nov 16 annonomous 28
Midevil themed restaurant (Apr '17) Jun '17 Mel 2
Macomb County Police Abuse (Feb '15) Mar '17 Alert 2 3

Macomb Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macomb Mortgages