Underwear-Clad Man Dies After Police ...

Underwear-Clad Man Dies After Police Use Taser To Subdue Him

There are 157 comments on the WFRV story from Aug 5, 2007, titled Underwear-Clad Man Dies After Police Use Taser To Subdue Him. In it, WFRV reports that:

“Believing the man was having some sort of episode, officers called for Shelby Township paramedics”

A man who was running through traffic wearing only underwear and socks died after police used a Taser to subdue him, authorities say. via WFRV

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFRV.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
nikki1969

Alexandria, VA

#1 Aug 5, 2007
I cannot believe the police killed this man with there tasers. I knew Steve, he worked at Bianci's in Troy. He was a great friend and wonderful person to work for. Something is not adding up. This man was a wonderful father and boss. If the shelby police thought he was having some sort of psychotic episode then why would they use a taser on him? Something is fishy if you ask me and i hope his family sue's the shelby police department for taking this mans life.
kim-alpena

United States

#2 Aug 6, 2007
something seems very amiss...note how the media says they found him running in traffic 20 miles north of detroit, like somehow he was associated with detroit...some criminal....he lived in sterling heights for god sakes, was out walking his dog...maybe the dog got loose? any mention of his dog? being tasered by two officers at the same time is enough to stop anyone's heart....this is just not right. that man should not be dead. lets see just how many details they finally do release..
LOL

Oak Forest, IL

#3 Aug 11, 2007
You two are so ignorant!

Please research tasers. You'll find not one death has been associated to a taser except for on medical examiner in Chicago who was biased because he is against tasers.

He didn't live in Detroit nor did he live in Sterling Heights. Does it really matter Kim? Do you think criminals are only south of 8 Mile? Your prejudice just slaps me in the face when I read your post.

Nikki - Have you ever dealt w/ a psychotic person? Do they act rationale? I wonder if they know right from wrong? I wonder if psychotic people are just generally nice and copperative and would do everything they ask for. Just because he cut your hair I am very inclined to say your right that the Shelby Twp Police are responsible for his death! LOL Grow up!
truth be told

East Lansing, MI

#4 Aug 11, 2007
lol i did and found that when tasers are used from two seperate tasers at the same time(left side and right side of heart) causes ark affect which blows heart up but forget that i know someone who witnessed this tradic incident and they stated there were 8 to 15 police on or near him and when he broke free they were less then 10 steps from him shot multiple tasers at him and he fell and was smoking on the ground and by the way i trust this person he doesnt have to lye to cover up for anybody but is afraid of retalition by police which may come to light with autopsy report. nobody 50 yrs old 10 feet from 8 cops should die due to playing with there toys!!!!
niece

Macomb, MI

#5 Aug 11, 2007
I wish I had my uncle back!
nikki1969

Alexandria, VA

#6 Aug 11, 2007
LOL wrote:
You two are so ignorant!
Please research tasers. You'll find not one death has been associated to a taser except for on medical examiner in Chicago who was biased because he is against tasers.
He didn't live in Detroit nor did he live in Sterling Heights. Does it really matter Kim? Do you think criminals are only south of 8 Mile? Your prejudice just slaps me in the face when I read your post.
Nikki - Have you ever dealt w/ a psychotic person? Do they act rationale? I wonder if they know right from wrong? I wonder if psychotic people are just generally nice and copperative and would do everything they ask for. Just because he cut your hair I am very inclined to say your right that the Shelby Twp Police are responsible for his death! LOL Grow up!
Excuse me! No i have never dealt with a psychotic person, and no one has ever said he was psychotic either. No he did not cut my hair either, what i stated was that i knew him and his family because my daughter worked for him at the salon for over 4 years. What i stated was that this did not have to go down the way it did, with him dying like that. It wasn't neccesary for them to break his wrists, hands or collarbone either after he was tasered numerous times. Im sure he could have been subdued without having to die only because he was out walking late at nite and looked suspicious to someone. This man had no weapon of any kind and he was only a danger to himself, so did that constitute what happened to him? No it did not! The paper also stated that there have been 200 deaths nationwide from teaser deaths, or didnt you read that far. I'm not the one who's ignorant, only you are for thinking the police had the right to do what they did, regardless of who it was. So maybe it's you who needs to grow up.
nikki1969

Alexandria, VA

#7 Aug 11, 2007
truth be told wrote:
lol i did and found that when tasers are used from two seperate tasers at the same time(left side and right side of heart) causes ark affect which blows heart up but forget that i know someone who witnessed this tradic incident and they stated there were 8 to 15 police on or near him and when he broke free they were less then 10 steps from him shot multiple tasers at him and he fell and was smoking on the ground and by the way i trust this person he doesnt have to lye to cover up for anybody but is afraid of retalition by police which may come to light with autopsy report. nobody 50 yrs old 10 feet from 8 cops should die due to playing with there toys!!!!
Thankyou for speaking up, at least someone else out here knows what went down and that it was a senseless cruel horrific act that could have been prevented, if the cops hadnt jumped the gun the way they did, but yes as you say all will hopefully come out with the results of the autopsy.
Straight talk

Ann Arbor, MI

#8 Aug 12, 2007
I can't believe everyone that keeps saying he was running into traffic. It was on 23 mile NEAR Dequindre (not the middle of an intersection) at like 12/1am. How much traffic do you think is out there at that time of night. NOT MUCH!
Drake

Oak Forest, IL

#9 Aug 13, 2007
Since when do taser's create an arching affect. That is ridicuouls! It is unfortunate that a man died. Blaming it on the police is a cowardly way to admit the truth.

Out of all the taser related deaths can you please tell me with all your research how many (tasers) were found to be the cause of the death???? I know the answer. Do you?

This death, unfortunate as it may be, will be the man's own fault. Get over it. It's the sad truth. But it is the truth. Just wait.

AND FOR GODS SAKE!!!! Will someone please tell me what alternative the police had in this matter! What would all of you have done?!?! Please let me know so I can laugh at your responses.
Prayers for this Man

Macomb, MI

#10 Aug 13, 2007
The Shelby police have been trained in recognizing "Hidden disabilities". If this man was experiencing an episode from mental illness, things could have been handled differently. He did not deserve to die. There are some good Shelby cops but I suspect that a few bad cops may be the ones that killed this man. I have personally witnessed the Shelby police using these tazors like toys. Unfortunately, corruption, lies and coverup will keep these bad cops on the force. This was an unnecessary, senseless death as a result of overzealous cops. The man was outnumbered and did not have a chance. It was not his fault.
nikki1969

Alexandria, VA

#11 Aug 13, 2007
Drake wrote:
Since when do taser's create an arching affect. That is ridicuouls! It is unfortunate that a man died. Blaming it on the police is a cowardly way to admit the truth.
Out of all the taser related deaths can you please tell me with all your research how many (tasers) were found to be the cause of the death???? I know the answer. Do you?
This death, unfortunate as it may be, will be the man's own fault. Get over it. It's the sad truth. But it is the truth. Just wait.
AND FOR GODS SAKE!!!! Will someone please tell me what alternative the police had in this matter! What would all of you have done?!?! Please let me know so I can laugh at your responses.
How does anyone know what tasers are capable of doing to every individual person. The macomb daily stated that 200 deaths nationwide have been caused by tasers. Are they lying? I understand that the police officers use the tasers, and i have no problem with them doing so if its warranted and it's done only once. But let me ask you this, did he need to be tasered more then once? Did he need to have his wrists, hands, and collarbone broken? Did he need to have his face smashed into the cement while handcuffed? And yes i do blame the police for there cruel unjust physical treatment of this man that ultimatly led to his death.
nikki1969

Alexandria, VA

#12 Aug 13, 2007
Prayers for this Man wrote:
The Shelby police have been trained in recognizing "Hidden disabilities". If this man was experiencing an episode from mental illness, things could have been handled differently. He did not deserve to die. There are some good Shelby cops but I suspect that a few bad cops may be the ones that killed this man. I have personally witnessed the Shelby police using these tazors like toys. Unfortunately, corruption, lies and coverup will keep these bad cops on the force. This was an unnecessary, senseless death as a result of overzealous cops. The man was outnumbered and did not have a chance. It was not his fault.

How right you are! I totally agree with you on all you said! Thankyou! It amazes me how many people that have written posts on this forum actually think it was ok that the police treated this man this way, or they have made stupid jokes about this person dying.
Andy in Shelby

Warren, MI

#13 Aug 21, 2007
kim-alpena wrote:
something seems very amiss...note how the media says they found him running in traffic 20 miles north of detroit, like somehow he was associated with detroit...some criminal....he lived in sterling heights for god sakes, was out walking his dog...maybe the dog got loose? any mention of his dog? being tasered by two officers at the same time is enough to stop anyone's heart....this is just not right. that man should not be dead. lets see just how many details they finally do release..
They say he was (20 miles north of Detriot) Because not everyone in this country knows where Shelby township is but a large majority knows where Detriot is. The media was not trying to say he was trash from Detriot.
Andy in Shelby

Warren, MI

#14 Aug 21, 2007
nikki1969 wrote:
<quoted text>
How right you are! I totally agree with you on all you said! Thankyou! It amazes me how many people that have written posts on this forum actually think it was ok that the police treated this man this way, or they have made stupid jokes about this person dying.
You people are CRAZY there is no conspericy here. There was no plot against this man. Shit happens! When you run around in your underwear in traffic and the police show up and warn you to stop but you do not comply and you get hit with a taser gun. It serves him right. There was no intent to kill this man only an atempt to stop him from being a danger to himself and others. It is STUPID people like you that think the world is out to get you and everything is a conspiracy. Wake up and welcome to the real world where the only person you can blame is the guy running around in his underwear.
Are you kidding

Macomb, MI

#15 Aug 22, 2007
Andy in Shelby wrote:
<quoted text>
You people are CRAZY there is no conspericy here. There was no plot against this man. Shit happens! When you run around in your underwear in traffic and the police show up and warn you to stop but you do not comply and you get hit with a taser gun. It serves him right. There was no intent to kill this man only an atempt to stop him from being a danger to himself and others. It is STUPID people like you that think the world is out to get you and everything is a conspiracy. Wake up and welcome to the real world where the only person you can blame is the guy running around in his underwear.
Andy, where is your human compassion? I don't know all the facts, however, if this person or a person had a disability, it is really his fault for what has happened to him? Think about it.....
DrugsSuck

Oak Forest, IL

#16 Aug 22, 2007
Are you kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Andy, where is your human compassion? I don't know all the facts, however, if this person or a person had a disability, it is really his fault for what has happened to him? Think about it.....
Where is your compassion Kidding? Do you happen to think of what these officers are going through when they use a less than lethal method of force to control a man. Next thing you know the guys dies because of unrelated reasons. Then the officers are accused of killing him by ignorant people like yourself and the liberal media.

Get a grip! Check back into reality and think of all the parties involved and not your personal agenda.
Are you kidding

Macomb, MI

#17 Aug 22, 2007
Personal attacks are not necessary. I am far from ignorant. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Basically, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Andy in Shelby

Warren, MI

#18 Aug 22, 2007
I think it is extremly unfotunate the man died but Im so sick of hearing people trying to put the blame on the police dept. I live in Shelby and I personaly know alot of the officers that work here including some of the ones involved. None of them wanted this type of thing to happen. Just like "Drugssuck" said they used a less than lethal method of force to try and control the situation. And the man died. It is not the cops fault if they would have know this man had a health problem I know for a fact they would not of used a taser on him. But The death rate is less than 5% on a taser and when the police uses a taser the intent is NOT TO KILL. Otherwise they would have used a firearm insted. People are always looking for someone to blame or point the finger at. Or someone to sue over it. It is a bunch of BullXXXX. I have compassion I just dont like the fact these people feel the need to bash the police dept.
Are you kidding

Macomb, MI

#19 Aug 22, 2007
Andy in Shelby wrote:
I think it is extremly unfotunate the man died but Im so sick of hearing people trying to put the blame on the police dept. I live in Shelby and I personaly know alot of the officers that work here including some of the ones involved. None of them wanted this type of thing to happen. Just like "Drugssuck" said they used a less than lethal method of force to try and control the situation. And the man died. It is not the cops fault if they would have know this man had a health problem I know for a fact they would not of used a taser on him. But The death rate is less than 5% on a taser and when the police uses a taser the intent is NOT TO KILL. Otherwise they would have used a firearm insted. People are always looking for someone to blame or point the finger at. Or someone to sue over it. It is a bunch of BullXXXX. I have compassion I just dont like the fact these people feel the need to bash the police dept.
Unfortunately the Shelby police have a "bad reputation" in the community as a result of a "few" bad cops. Most are pretty good.
DrugsSuck

Oak Forest, IL

#20 Aug 22, 2007
I live in Shelby......it is one of the best departments in the state.

Please describe what these "few" bad cops did. I think you are making all this up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anita derywish Oct 14 Corie 1
News Ex-Catholic teacher pleads guilty to sex with s... (May '15) Oct 12 WATCHING LIVONIA 31
Clinton Revival Center /Family Worship Center o... (Mar '17) Oct 12 Visited 5
Parking in front of other people's homes (Sep '11) Oct 5 WATCHING LIVONIA 38
Anyone know Ana Israel Oct 1 Raghib 1
News What we still owe our Vietnam veterans Sep 30 Faith 7
Replica YSL Belts (Apr '14) Sep 20 sandy 5

Macomb Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macomb Mortgages