Family Settles Mich. Taser Death Suit...

Family Settles Mich. Taser Death Suit for $1.95M

There are 8 comments on the WWMT-TV Kalamazoo story from Jan 10, 2009, titled Family Settles Mich. Taser Death Suit for $1.95M. In it, WWMT-TV Kalamazoo reports that:

The family of a man who died in August 2007 after police used a Taser to subdue him settled a lawsuit filed against a Macomb County community and five officers involved for $1.95 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WWMT-TV Kalamazoo.

Shelby Taxpayer

Portland, OR

#1 Jan 11, 2009
This is just another of one of many scandals that has plagued the Shelby Township Police Department and cost the Township Millions and injured the reputation of Shelby Township as a place to live.
The last scandalous event involving a Shelby Police Officer was when then Police Officer David Essad pulled a Department Issued Pistol on his wife and beat her so severely that she required hospitalization after celebrating her birthday at a local bar. David Essad has since been terminated by the Police Department and has plead guilty to two counts of Aggravated Domestic Violence under a deferred judgement plea agreement.
Not surprising is the fact that David Essad had been the Shelby Township Police Departments Principal use of Force Instructor who presumably provided Taser and other Use of Force Training to the Police Officers involved.
In light of the settlement of 1.95 Million Dollars by Shelby Townships Insurers for the Taser Death at the hands of Shelby Police, we are outraged by Police Chief Lehmans statments that he "Stands by his Officers".
Rumors also exist that Shelby Township Officials are only making a half hearted attempt to maintain the termination of Essad in an Arbitration case against the Township.
Is anyone going to hold members of our Police Department accountable when they commit outrageous and controversial acts against Shelby Citizens? Are we going to continue to have one scandal after another which diminishes our Community?
No Surprise

Portland, OR

#2 Jan 11, 2009
OTHER STUPID THINGS SHELBY TOWNSHIP POLICE HAVE DONE RECENTLY:
And I ask?
If I stood by and watched a 14 year old drown on my property??? Manslaughter 10 years
If I passed out behind the wheel of my SUV and got into a fist fight with Sheriff deputies when they came to arrest me??? Assault on an officer, DWI 5 years
If I ran a red light and caused the death of a woman and 2 children??? Manslaughter 10 years
If me and 4 of my friends surrounded, then deployed 3 tasers and electricuted a man in his underwear, several times until he died, claiming he was a danger to us?? We would be jailed for life.
If I took a work issued gun into a place serving alchohol, let alone drove home drunk, pulled out that weapon, threated anyone, let alone my wife with it and proceeded to hit her several times with it???? First....My wife would kill me, then what was left of me after that, would be put in jail with a 500,000 dollars bail. Then sentenced to 20 years.
A Shelby Township officer puts up 2000 dollars cash for bail and he gets to walk free and probably plee to a lesser charge and keep his job.
THIS IS THE BULLSHIT THAT IS THE BLUE LINE OF JUSTICE IN SHELBY TOWNSHIP, MACOMB COUNTY, MICHIGAN.
Shelby Citizen

Westlake, OH

#3 Jan 11, 2009
Other than Essad I'm pretty proud of our police department and all the work they do.

When I called them they responded and were VERY professional. They got the job done.

Keep in mind the big payout is just annoyance money. Throw some money at them and make them disappear. It just cost to much these days to take things to trial. It ends up being cheaper to just throw money at people who seem to be unable to accept their kid being wrong. In my opinion, you have a family w/ nothing to lose and a chance to get some sort of payback for a dirt bag's life that was just short of being a menance.
Interesting

Portland, OR

#4 Jan 11, 2009
Shelby Citizen wrote:
Other than Essad I'm pretty proud of our police department and all the work they do.
When I called them they responded and were VERY professional. They got the job done.
Keep in mind the big payout is just annoyance money. Throw some money at them and make them disappear. It just cost to much these days to take things to trial. It ends up being cheaper to just throw money at people who seem to be unable to accept their kid being wrong. In my opinion, you have a family w/ nothing to lose and a chance to get some sort of payback for a dirt bag's life that was just short of being a menance.
So you think its just the cost of Doing Business? You must be a cop or Police Administrator or a fired cop.
While you are proud of our Police Department I think they are getting into an awful lot of trouble. One only has to use their personnel roster and compare it with Court Records available for viewing at the Courthouse. Given the size of the Shelby Police Department they seem to get into a lot of trouble, compared with other Police agencies.
Some might even say its a regular rogues gallery and we have to pay for that?
You should ask

Portland, OR

#5 Jan 11, 2009
Shelby Citizen wrote:
All because of a man running around in his underwear? One only needs ask why the Kings Randsom of 1.5 Million Dollars? Many think that those at the Insurance Company decided that if this case went to trial, where Jurors would likley see through all the B.S., that dead mans family would "Own" Shelby Township.
Shelby Citizen

AOL

#6 Jan 11, 2009
First, let me say, I am the real “Shelby Citizen” that lives in Shelby Township, not from Naperville, IL.
A couple hundred thousand, maybe annoyance money. 2 million is hush money. It is obvious to anyone looking at this payout there is some liability on the officer’s part.
Where is the video of this incident?
The Township says it’s currently trying to lower its liability rating with insurance companies. Well, I would say the fastest way to lower our township liability would be to remove the police chief that “stands 100% behind” anyone that would tarnish our township reputation like they have. Better yet, let’s dock the extra insurance premiums from Chief Lehman’s retirement or current pay. It is obvious to anyone that Lehman lets officers, under his supervision, run wild. Remember Lehman is employed at the will of the supervisor a public representative of the people. He needs to go, he is too high of a liability for us. It’s time to cut our losses and cut him loose.
Finally, I have noticed many posting from someone’s IP address in Naperville, IL whining about my post and trying to belittle others. I would say to this person they should stick to the posted subject and state your arguments intelligently. Resorting to name calling and impersonation shows your ignorance and representing yourself as anyone else other than yourself is a violation of state and federal law. You are allowed your opinion as long as you represent that opinion as your own not mine.
Shelby Citizen

AOL

#7 Jan 11, 2009
Shelby Citizen wrote:
YOU, should be VERY, happy with the Shelby Police. They let you off. But to the average citizen they are killers, thugs and bullies led with incompetent leadership.
Anonymous

Portland, OR

#8 Jan 12, 2009
You know I would like to see someone at the next Shelby Township Board meeting ask if Chief Lehman would allow the General Public to view the videotapes over and over again just like he did, and see if they share his Lehmans' Opinion.

Perhaps the Township Police Force lacks leadership. Perhaps a few more Personnel changes need to be made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Village Square Co-Operative (Feb '09) 11 hr jerry 35
East Side is for retards Mar 31 Brutus 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Michigan (... (Oct '10) Mar '18 Guest 26
News Redford Township may not be among nation's safe... (Sep '06) Mar '18 lynn 132
28/F/ African American from DC, should I do it? Mar '18 FreeBird202 1
Macomb County corrections officer convicted of ... (Jan '10) Mar '18 KimWheetley 9
Parking in front of other people's homes (Sep '11) Mar '18 Camel toe 46

Macomb Jobs

Personal Finance

Macomb Mortgages