Parents want into Utica, out of New H...

Parents want into Utica, out of New Haven schools

There are 8 comments on the www.freep.com story from Sep 22, 2008, titled Parents want into Utica, out of New Haven schools. In it, www.freep.com reports that:

Timothy Brock isn't happy with his district's MEAP scores, and he wonders why his first-grade son would have to ride nearly nine miles to a New Haven Community school when one in a neighboring district is only ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freep.com.

Jennifer

Lansing, MI

#1 Sep 23, 2008
The article was not written in the sense to support the fact that all 264 homes in the Winding Creek Subdivision are in support of this. It was however written to acknowledge the process of requesting a school district change from the state.
A vast majority of the “facts” that Mr. Brock stated are unfounded, and many are just blatant lies. The other are fascinations and exaggerations.
I am however prepared to rebut all of the issues of the children here. The “petition” repeatedly cited the elementary students, but failed to acknowledge that there are other grade level children here. Are we forgoing their needs?
This is nothing more than a selfish ploy of Brock Family’s to transport his son, because of his laziness to do so himself. Other than that this story has no leg to stand on.
And I am a parent of two children in the New Haven Schools; I am also a resident of the Winding Creek Subdivision.
On that note, If Mr. Brock is being investigated for forgery, how credible is he?
Check with the Macomb County Sheriff, and the Prosecutor…
MMM

Birmingham, MI

#2 Sep 23, 2008
Too bad Brock. Guess you should have thought about that before you bought your house. Deal with it. Maybe it's not the school, maybe your kid is just dumb.
The People

United States

#3 Sep 26, 2008
Perhaps we need more private schools that can be more selective of their students. They can accept only those students who have two parents with at least one disciplining stay-at-home parent to help with homework and behavioral problems. Otherwise, schools are overwhelmed by baby sitting, under-disciplining, and educating kids that don't appreciate it. Private schools can have their own aptitude tests for entry. Those kids that can't get into the private school system will be given home-schooling packages from the government with applied topics that will help them plan for their burger-flipping futures:

Reading: How to read the combo menu.
Math: Making small change to a combo meal order.
Science: How long should a hamburger patty stay in the microwave and at what temperature should it be before it goes on a bun?
Health: How many calories should your combo meal contain? Why you and your customers are obese?
Physical Education: How many 20 pound boxes of hamburger patties can you lift a day? How long can you work on your feet?
Foreign Language: How to make or take a combo meal order in Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic.
Art: How to decorate a combo menu board.
Music: What themes you can sing to stem off your boredom while working in the kitchen.

Since we are not "Making" anything in this country anymore, and are becoming more service-oriented. Our liberalized public school system should be teaching these kids these service-oriented essentials. We can also end their education at 16 yrs of age - working age. Why keep them out of work for any longer a time than they should? Most seniors and juniors don't even have full-time school schedule anyways. The taxpayer doesn’t need to pay for this extra-education. Instead of a lengthly formal graduation process in some auditorium, their graduation should begin with employment to a local franchise.
Ziggy

United States

#4 Sep 27, 2008
The People wrote:
Perhaps we need more private schools that can be more selective of their students. They can accept only those students who have two parents with at least one disciplining stay-at-home parent to help with homework and behavioral problems. Otherwise, schools are overwhelmed by baby sitting, under-disciplining, and educating kids that don't appreciate it. Private schools can have their own aptitude tests for entry. Those kids that can't get into the private school system will be given home-schooling packages from the government with applied topics that will help them plan for their burger-flipping futures:
Reading: How to read the combo menu.
Math: Making small change to a combo meal order.
Science: How long should a hamburger patty stay in the microwave and at what temperature should it be before it goes on a bun?
Health: How many calories should your combo meal contain? Why you and your customers are obese?
Physical Education: How many 20 pound boxes of hamburger patties can you lift a day? How long can you work on your feet?
Foreign Language: How to make or take a combo meal order in Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic.
Art: How to decorate a combo menu board.
Music: What themes you can sing to stem off your boredom while working in the kitchen.
Since we are not "Making" anything in this country anymore, and are becoming more service-oriented. Our liberalized public school system should be teaching these kids these service-oriented essentials. We can also end their education at 16 yrs of age - working age. Why keep them out of work for any longer a time than they should? Most seniors and juniors don't even have full-time school schedule anyways. The taxpayer doesn’t need to pay for this extra-education. Instead of a lengthly formal graduation process in some auditorium, their graduation should begin with employment to a local franchise.
WoW ! You forgot to add the part about dropping the 2/3's amount of taxes we pay to keep our homes each year for school taxes. If there would no longer be public schools, no need for school taxes, eh? Since the majority of the kids would be attending private schools, that money would come in handy to pay for education in this area, don't cha' think??
MMM

Birmingham, MI

#5 Sep 27, 2008
Don't mind 'The People', or as we like to call him, "The Idiot'. He's a total moron.
Shelby Township Resident

Utica, MI

#6 Sep 29, 2008
I think all of you need to watch your mouths and act like Adults. Stop insulting the children and mind your own business. This is not about Tim Brock!!!!!!!!!! And everybody involved in this is not concerned with Tim Brock. I'm concerned with my Family and my Child. Keep your comments to yourself if you have nothing nice to say!!!!!!!!!
Shelby Township Resident

Utica, MI

#7 Sep 29, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
The article was not written in the sense to support the fact that all 264 homes in the Winding Creek Subdivision are in support of this. It was however written to acknowledge the process of requesting a school district change from the state.
A vast majority of the “facts” that Mr. Brock stated are unfounded, and many are just blatant lies. The other are fascinations and exaggerations.
I am however prepared to rebut all of the issues of the children here. The “petition” repeatedly cited the elementary students, but failed to acknowledge that there are other grade level children here. Are we forgoing their needs?
This is nothing more than a selfish ploy of Brock Family’s to transport his son, because of his laziness to do so himself. Other than that this story has no leg to stand on.
And I am a parent of two children in the New Haven Schools; I am also a resident of the Winding Creek Subdivision.
On that note, If Mr. Brock is being investigated for forgery, how credible is he?
Check with the Macomb County Sheriff, and the Prosecutor…
This is not about you & Tim's Family. This is about people trying to get the best education for their children. As for your issues, please keep them to yourself. Nobody wants to hear about your bickering and personal business.
The People

United States

#8 Sep 30, 2008
MMM wrote:
Don't mind 'The People', or as we like to call him, "The Idiot'. He's a total moron.
Yeah, I'll agree to be the village idiot on that issue. Though, just because I may have chosen an unpopular opinion in favor of a certain police officer, doesnt mean my views towards the educational system or other issues are unpopular as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anita derywish Oct 14 Corie 1
News Ex-Catholic teacher pleads guilty to sex with s... (May '15) Oct 12 WATCHING LIVONIA 31
Clinton Revival Center /Family Worship Center o... (Mar '17) Oct 12 Visited 5
Parking in front of other people's homes (Sep '11) Oct 5 WATCHING LIVONIA 38
Anyone know Ana Israel Oct 1 Raghib 1
News What we still owe our Vietnam veterans Sep 30 Faith 7
Replica YSL Belts (Apr '14) Sep 20 sandy 5

Macomb Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macomb Mortgages