Macomb Daily : 'Open carry' group to gather

Aug 14, 2008 | Posted by: ShoresBlogger | Full story: www.macombdaily.com

Ron Gibson carries a semi-automatic pistol on his hip for anyone to see, and insists he's not out to intimidate.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2008

“Common sense is subjective”

Since: Dec 07

St Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 14, 2008
 
Ineresting read. I support their efforts and appreciate their efforts, however prefer to keep my concealed. I may even need to make a detour through Warren on Saturday

“Common sense is subjective”

Since: Dec 07

St Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 14, 2008
 
Not spending as much time on topix.net as you are bro, can't be THAT 'board'<grin>
Political Exile

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 15, 2008
 
The recent Supreme Court decision overturning Washington DC's gun laws was a 5-4 decision, so don't be too happy. And, in another 5/4 decision a couple of years ago the Court ruled that the government can take your property if doing so results in an increase in the tax base for the community! Our freedom of speech, freedom to petition the government for redress, all are under attach by the elitist of the Democrat party.

If you value liberty, better be careful who you vote for in November.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 15, 2008
 
Political Exile wrote:
The recent Supreme Court decision overturning Washington DC's gun laws was a 5-4 decision, so don't be too happy. And, in another 5/4 decision a couple of years ago the Court ruled that the government can take your property if doing so results in an increase in the tax base for the community! Our freedom of speech, freedom to petition the government for redress, all are under attach by the elitist of the Democrat party.
If you value liberty, better be careful who you vote for in November.
Amen.....

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 15, 2008
 
WAS WHO KNOW THINKING 1 wrote:
<quoted text> What in the hell are you talking about? You must be board.
Looks like we have a gun opponent here. Troll on, troll on.

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 15, 2008
 
Political Exile wrote:
The recent Supreme Court decision overturning Washington DC's gun laws was a 5-4 decision, so don't be too happy. And, in another 5/4 decision a couple of years ago the Court ruled that the government can take your property if doing so results in an increase in the tax base for the community! Our freedom of speech, freedom to petition the government for redress, all are under attach by the elitist of the Democrat party.
If you value liberty, better be careful who you vote for in November.
I agree whole heartedly. But good ole McCain isn't that far from a Dem. If memory serves he has always been for more and more gun control. Until of course it was time for a presedential run.
ReasonAndLogic

Westland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 16, 2008
 

Judged:

1

For concealed carry you must pay lots of money, take a class that truly is a joke and jump through other hoops to get a CPL, therefore a CPL is a privilege.

Open carry all that is needed is that you not be a felon, a wife beater or a crazy, in other words a law abiding citizen, therefore OC is a RIGHT.

Unlike most Lib's I would rather BE safe than FEEL safe.

There is a difference you know. ;-)

Since: Feb 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 16, 2008
 
Here's the follow up to that story.

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/081708/loc...

Hope the link works, but if it doesn't, a "Cut 'N Past" should work.

Sure was a great day for a picnic. Probably about 40 to 50 people showed up including the Police Commissioner.

I did think the police consistently circling the pavilion in their cruisers was a bit dramatic, but hey, if they can afford to apply their resources in that manner, then I suppose that's their choice.

Warren seems like such a nice place, I wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 17, 2008
 
ReasonAndLogic wrote:
For concealed carry you must pay lots of money, take a class that truly is a joke and jump through other hoops to get a CPL, therefore a CPL is a privilege.
Open carry all that is needed is that you not be a felon, a wife beater or a crazy, in other words a law abiding citizen, therefore OC is a RIGHT.
Unlike most Lib's I would rather BE safe than FEEL safe.
There is a difference you know. ;-)
Absolutely not to argue with you on the matter of 'safety,' allow me to remark thusly:

You can ~never~ be safe from anyone —or anything— no matter where you go, what you do, how you do it, when or where you do it. You can ~never~ be safe.

Safety is a FRAME OF MIND and NOT a condition of existence.

Since you can never be safe, there is ONLY ONE condition which prevents your harm: Being prepared for whatever eventuality you might encounter.

But even being prepared doesn't make one ~safe~ from anything.

Ergo, the term 'safe' should ~only~ be used when describing the state of a machine which may be made such, so as to not present a danger in the near term.

People should ~never~ employ the term 'safe' when describing their condition of existence at any given moment. Rather, they should always employ the term: Prepared.

And being prepared is a matter of degree: Just HOW WELL prepared are you, when discussing any particular happenstance or eventuality which might befall you?

Remember: It's better to be =prepared= than sorry!

;-)

“Common sense is subjective”

Since: Dec 07

St Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 17, 2008
 
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not to argue with you on the matter of 'safety,' allow me to remark thusly:
You can ~never~ be safe from anyone —or anything— no matter where you go, what you do, how you do it, when or where you do it. You can ~never~ be safe.
Safety is a FRAME OF MIND and NOT a condition of existence.
Since you can never be safe, there is ONLY ONE condition which prevents your harm: Being prepared for whatever eventuality you might encounter.
But even being prepared doesn't make one ~safe~ from anything.
Ergo, the term 'safe' should ~only~ be used when describing the state of a machine which may be made such, so as to not present a danger in the near term.
People should ~never~ employ the term 'safe' when describing their condition of existence at any given moment. Rather, they should always employ the term: Prepared.
And being prepared is a matter of degree: Just HOW WELL prepared are you, when discussing any particular happenstance or eventuality which might befall you?
Remember: It's better to be =prepared= than sorry!
;-)
Did you really just use the word 'Ergo'? <blink> <blink>

“Common sense is subjective”

Since: Dec 07

St Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 17, 2008
 
It was a good day for a picnic... for my wife and I it started out as a casual walk in the park... walked past the pavilion while the organizer was speaking to the group about public perception, as he was doing this he decided to use me and my wife as an example and asked us in front of the group if we were concerned by their presence... I stopped and lifted my shirt exposing my side arm... couldn't have asked for better timing. The group laughed and some applauded... clearly they didn't expect that.

Good bunch of people, the organizer was very out going and very informed. I carry concealed and I think I prefer it that way, but it is good to know my rights in the event I do wish to carry open. And I also agree with the practice of informing our law enforcement officials of laws they should be familiar with, it surprises me how many are not up on their laws, including firearm and traffic laws... I have experience with LE not having the proper knowledge of traffic and firearm laws, its an astonishingly disappointing feeling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Macomb Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Macomb People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Macomb News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Macomb
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••