Redford Township may not be among nation's safest places

Full story: Detroit Free Press

Officials at CNNMoney.com are considering pulling Redford Township off its list of the 25 safest places to live in America.
Comments
21 - 40 of 119 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 4
Tracey Schultz Kobylarz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2007

I do not know who Charles Carpenter is. If you would like to speak to me directly, feel free to contact me by utilizing the contact screen at www.itrusttracey.com . If I get an email, I will respond.

~Tracey
Pride in Redford Twp

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

It is funny to read some of the things in the post/comments. I really just wonder if folks go out in the township of just view it from a foggy window. In the last couple of years one could see so many great things going on. Economic issues in the state is very true, but check it out. New Mexican Rest opened its door, R & R Cae has opened,both of them on Five Mile. Botsford medical is under construction, Keg and wine's new building under construction, JC's has a new home on Beach Daly, Sandy's is expanding. the township has taken down the old house on Beach for a park. the old hospital on Beach will now be taken down. One person made a comment about the flowers! They are GREAT to see, The stain on the stone work on the walkways is nice and look now at the old stone walls are even getting a much needed change in color to red that will shape the outline of our township. I see more top brass out of the chairs of Town Hall and on the streets of our town then ever before. they are not sitting around waiting to put out fires, they are changing our town forever. If you really want to bash something, bash the times before now! Ask yourself one thing. What was all the money a few years ago being used for. I say that if one was to think about it real good, we have not had a leader able to take this town to the next level until now......I say push on my friends in the Township, Push on. Your doing a great job and we aplod you all for your hard work and effort in the what may go down in history to be hardest times Michigan has ever had. Redford is strong! and it will with stand the storm around it. In closing, I will and can only hope that every time you see Mr Handy walking in our town you would shake his hand and thank him for going the extra mile we needed to become a great town again. "You have my vote sir"
Joe Schmoe

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

I really don't think anyone knows what's happening in Redford. Miles Handy is one of the most incompetent supervisors that has been around for a long time. To many things have and will continue to go down hill until he is removed or steps down from office. He tries to make people think he doing something good for the community but just look at the whole, since being in office. I really do feel like I'm starting to be integrated as a Detroiter, unless you live in that square quarter mile around the township office's. The schools and the community are on a steady slide downward. Open your eyes, it's not that hard to figure out why!

Since: Sep 07

Redford MI.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Pride in Redford Twp wrote:
It is funny to read some of the things in the post/comments. I really just wonder if folks go out in the township of just view it from a foggy window. In the last couple of years one could see so many great things going on. Economic issues in the state is very true, but check it out. New Mexican Rest opened its door, R & R Cae has opened,both of them on Five Mile. Botsford medical is under construction, Keg and wine's new building under construction, JC's has a new home on Beach Daly, Sandy's is expanding. the township has taken down the old house on Beach for a park. the old hospital on Beach will now be taken down. One person made a comment about the flowers! They are GREAT to see, The stain on the stone work on the walkways is nice and look now at the old stone walls are even getting a much needed change in color to red that will shape the outline of our township. I see more top brass out of the chairs of Town Hall and on the streets of our town then ever before. they are not sitting around waiting to put out fires, they are changing our town forever. If you really want to bash something, bash the times before now! Ask yourself one thing. What was all the money a few years ago being used for. I say that if one was to think about it real good, we have not had a leader able to take this town to the next level until now......I say push on my friends in the Township, Push on. Your doing a great job and we aplod you all for your hard work and effort in the what may go down in history to be hardest times Michigan has ever had. Redford is strong! and it will with stand the storm around it. In closing, I will and can only hope that every time you see Mr Handy walking in our town you would shake his hand and thank him for going the extra mile we needed to become a great town again. "You have my vote sir"
Are you Miles Handy? Maybe the only window your looking out of is the township offfice window. The community that extents past the 1/2 suare mile around the touwnship hall has gone down hill sinse Miles Handy has taken office. I also haven't seen the brass you speak of walking around outside that area either. handy has a history of sheltering himself from things that he may not like or want to deal with. He has a habit of only taking care of things that will benefit or make him look good or profit in some way. With the bad way our school districts are, has he ever been to a school board meeting to express his views or suggestions? the answer is NO! His kids don't use the school system so he doesn't really care. The roads in the township are in dire need of repair and replacement...so what happens to the funds from the grant? The roads in and around the township office look pretty good but many outside that area are ignored. If he doesn't have to drive them on the way to work...he doesn't care what happens to them...blame it on someone else. Many questions (from board meetings ect..) directed to Mr. Handy go unanswered. If it doesn't directly affect him he takes no resposibilty. Years ago (when Handy wasn't the supervisor) Redford residents at least knew where they stood, the community as a whole was safer, the school districts had high expectations and money was smartly dispursed where needed. I wish I could see Mr. Handy on the street to shake his hand...but If you don't spend all of your time hanging around the township building, agreeing with him or helping him look out for his oun interest the chances of that are not very good. I and many people in the community have to many times been ignored by Mr. Handy when question about certain things in the township. That is not the job as an township employee and the township of Redford will continue to go down hill as long as Mr. Handy is trying to act as supervisor. Open your eyes and look a little farther than you narrow minded perceptions!!!
redfordkid86

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2007

you have to be kidding me. my best friend had his bike stolen multiple times by his next door neighbor, and we live in a decent neighborhood. redford is not a terrible place to live, but among the safest? i think not. have you ever been to capitol park and acosted by thurston students and their cronies? these kids are ridiculous and they are still so young. there needs to be some reform. redford needs to clean up the schools and then tell me they are doing something constructive.
masart

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2007

Charles Carpenter wrote:
Im sorry is there not 4 new resteraunts going up and the new Patio on Sandys bar ? I say goodbye and enjoy your life since it is obvious your lost or blind if you cant see the difference Itrusttracy.com
What happened to Sandy?
Charles carpenter

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

Who am I Tracy I was a big supporter of yours till I talked to Concerned resident , and watched you flip flop like a fish regarding the donations for appointments issue , Observer never brings up stuff like that that is why I attend meetings at 61 what else do I have to do . My support is fading for you . Dont worry I am hoping somebody runs who cares , you oly care about re election

Redford MI.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2007

Charles Carpenter wrote:
Redford is one of the safest citys ...that fact was proven after a UNNAMED former police offical tried to stop the magazine from putting Redford on the list. Concider this Redford boarders Livonia,Detroit, Dearbornhgts,southfield, they boarder detroits Brightmoor area the highest crime area in the city. Redford has development going in the downtown area Five mile , they are getting there streets paved the enforcement of ordinances the police dept increased by 4 officers while everybody else is laying off officers ....while some misinformed people like to slam Redford read www.itrusttracey.com and find out whats really going on ......
The article you mention was indead not fact, but a mistake. I think the so called misinformed you speak of have taken their blinders off to accept the truth not hide being others to make themselves feel special!!!
Charles Carpenter

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2007

what?

Redford MI.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2007

Charles Carpenter wrote:
what?
What part do you not understand? The article was indead a mistake and the people that saw it were the ones that were misinformed by it. They (took off their blinders) to see around the misleading article and might believe things in a different way now.
american

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

MR Redford wrote:
What a joke ....the article says Redford "May" not be on the list of ULTRA ULTRA safest cities ...well sir is it or isnt it , considering we border one of the most crime ridden areas of Detroit (brightmoor) Redford holds it own. Our officers are the best. Safest? accuacy in reporting ...suspect
You must be a redford cop right!! because I know your not redford citizen. I lived in redford for 20 years (moved because of out of control police )
your officers are the best at what ,writing trafic tickets? Let me guess your probably getting paid by them to post this when your supposed to be tracking internet crime right!!!
american

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

Pride in Redford Twp wrote:
WOW! have you seen your property values latly,I moved two years ago from redford (thank god I sold my Home then). talk about looking through foggy windows ,this might enlighten you go to realtor dot com,look at the values of the homes their now? you can buy a house in redford for under $50,000 (not possible two years ago. If you own your home take the loss sell it ,it's only going to get worse.
redford won't be saved even if the economy gets stronger,because once they went schools of choice they ruined the school system . remember what happend to brightmoor!!
american

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

Joe Schmoe-Redford wrote:
<quoted text>
What part do you not understand? The article was indead a mistake and the people that saw it were the ones that were misinformed by it. They (took off their blinders) to see around the misleading article and might believe things in a different way now.
take YOUR blinders off go to : realtor dot com see what homes are selling for now (and who's buying them) and tell me it's going to get better!
are you old enough to remember what happened to brightmoor after bussing? get real!!!
american

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

Joe Schmoe wrote:
I really don't think anyone knows what's happening in Redford. Miles Handy is one of the most incompetent supervisors that has been around for a long time. To many things have and will continue to go down hill until he is removed or steps down from office. He tries to make people think he doing something good for the community but just look at the whole, since being in office. I really do feel like I'm starting to be integrated as a Detroiter, unless you live in that square quarter mile around the township office's. The schools and the community are on a steady slide downward. Open your eyes, it's not that hard to figure out why!
I'll say it, schools of choice have done this ,and a better economy won't help.
look on realtor dot com at what houses are sold for! sell NOW and take a loss it's only going to get worse.( I sold my home there two years ago thank god ) now you can buy houses for UNDER $50,000!!!!!!!!!!
american

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

mcallahan wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you don't live here, how would you know? Our crime stats are down. Quit speeding on Telegraph and you could avoid our officers. They are not primpers and there is no unethical behavior.
I lived in redford for 20 years and YOU and YOUR fellow officers are some of the most corrupt unethical police anywhere outside detroit.your own comment"THERE IS NO UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR".shows your not just unethical
your also liars to boot.PS I MOVED AWAY BECAUSE OF YOUR UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR ,BUT DON'T WORRY I'LL BE BACK WHEN I SUE YOUR BELOVED DEPARTMENT FOR VIOLATING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS , FABBRCATING EVIDENCE,DENYING ME (UNDER THREAT OF ARREST) THE RIGHT TO MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT ABOUT POLICE MISCONDUCT!! Im sure your starting to remember me now
american

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

Like anyone cares wrote:
Quite honestly we are frightened for our safety. We have been confronted and threatened numerous times and we cant afford to keep repairing the damage to our property due to retaliation or whatever you want to call it. Just like everyone else we are struggling to get by. We would like to move but so many people are leaving Redford the houses just arent selling...we would have to pay to leave or walk away with a foreclosure (we are coming close to that decision). Trust me, we dont want them to win! I would like to say we are strong and we are fighting for our neighborhood, we act strong and dont turn away from them, but we really are scared. We are just waiting for the day bullets start to fly! We have fought and fought and no one seems to do a thing about it. Cops have been there countless times, they never go inside, they never arrest anyone...even when adults are in physical altercations with young teens, housing countless teens, pregnant teens, providing liquer, etc......trust me, we have been doing all that we can do "safely" and have gotten absolutely nowhere!!! Coincidentally after posting in here the curbside drug pick-ups have been to an extreme minimum....we really do think it is just a coincidence though. It wont stop, they will be back. The funny thing is that we can understand ones desperation to survive. If they are so desperate to make money and feel that selling drugs is the only way they can survive, fine! I know that sounds crazy and dont mean to imply drugs are okay, we just know what it is like to be THAT desperate. Anyhow, if this is how they need to make their living why cant they be discrete about it? Keep it quiet...do your thing in your house and keep it quiet! Well, we are giving great thought to taking our videos to City Hall since the Redford PD has shown no interest....thank you all for your advice. We just want to keep our children safe...THAT is our greatest concern.
your best bet is to take the loss and move .I
sold my house 2 years ago when there was still some market value left.It will only get worse, the property values will only go down!!
when redford started (schools of choice) they soldout the residents for a few extra federal dollars.Its really a shame, Even if the economy gets better it won't change what redford has become. The same thing happend in brightmoor in the 70's with bussing as you can see it never rebounded (even when the economy got better in mid 90's).PS THE REDFORD TOWNSHIP POLICE ONLY CARE ABOUT GENERATING REVENUE THROUGH TRAFFIC TICKETS! NOT FIGHTING CRIME,THERE'S NO MONEY IN IT!!

Redford MI.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

american wrote:
<quoted text>
take YOUR blinders off go to : realtor dot com see what homes are selling for now (and who's buying them) and tell me it's going to get better!
are you old enough to remember what happened to brightmoor after bussing? get real!!!
Why reply to me? I think it's gone down hill the last 3 years. Read all of my posts. Did you live in brightmoor? I wouldn't of bought there 30 years ago!!! It was nasty back then too. Also if you want to go to realtor.com look to see what and where you get for 50,000. Even in detroit, 50,000 will get you an old crack house. Need to base it on sell/resale not auction/siezed property. Sure it's tough to sell but I could still get 150,000 even in these times. But then again I don't live in brightmoor.

Redford MI.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

american wrote:
<quoted text> I lived in redford for 20 years and YOU and YOUR fellow officers are some of the most corrupt unethical police anywhere outside detroit.your own comment"THERE IS NO UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR".shows your not just unethical
your also liars to boot.PS I MOVED AWAY BECAUSE OF YOUR UNETHICAL BEHAVIOR ,BUT DON'T WORRY I'LL BE BACK WHEN I SUE YOUR BELOVED DEPARTMENT FOR VIOLATING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS , FABBRCATING EVIDENCE,DENYING ME (UNDER THREAT OF ARREST) THE RIGHT TO MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT ABOUT POLICE MISCONDUCT!! Im sure your starting to remember me now
Did you move because of criminal activity? Open warrants? Live in brightmoor? It kind of sounds you were not to innocent of a person and got screwed by someone worse. You reference housing costs, brightmoor and the police department, quite alot. All of the above go hand in hand and I would assume you were involved with 1 or all of those. If you are compairing property values around the country for some reason this is not what this forum is about, and I don't think many people that live in brightmoor are on-line anyway to worry about their property value.
american

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

<quoted text>
Did you move because of criminal activity? Open warrants? Live in brightmoor? It kind of sounds you were not to innocent of a person and got screwed by someone worse. You reference housing costs, brightmoor and the police department, quite alot. All of the above go hand in hand and I would assume you were involved with 1 or all of those. If you are compairing property values around the country for some reason this is not what this forum is about, and I don't think many people that live in brightmoor are on-line anyway to worry about their property value.
Your sooo funny it's stupid ,So because I comment on brightmoor that means lived there? " it kind of sounds that I wasn'nt that innocent of a person "why?because I moved from redford BEFORE the crash ? you don't think people in brightmoor are online?
CAN YOU READ!!I SUGGEST you re-read or have your capt. read it to you I moved because I was smart enough to see it(property value crash) coming and sold for a profit ( bet you won't do the same)
you assume alot thats why you don't seen to be that bright. Look around you if you think things are going to get better your delusional! But by reading your post I think your already there.
PS I was'nt talking about the current property value's in brightmoor ,I was talking about redfords current problems.If you could comprehend what you read you would know this. so who took the police entrance exam for ya?
american

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

<quoted text>
Why reply to me? I think it's gone down hill the last 3 years. Read all of my posts. Did you live in brightmoor? I wouldn't of bought there 30 years ago!!! It was nasty back then too. Also if you want to go to realtor.com look to see what and where you get for 50,000. Even in detroit, 50,000 will get you an old crack house. Need to base it on sell/resale not auction/siezed property. Sure it's tough to sell but I could still get 150,000 even in these times. But then again I don't live in brightmoor.
1.If you don't want people to comment to your posts ,DONT POST IN PUBLIC FORUMS. 2.Just because im aware of metro area history (BRIGHTMOOR)
does'nt mean I lived there .(so what if i did though)
3.Have a realtor appraise your home ,not the bank for a second morg.also the market sets the value so if houses are forclosed and resold cheaper ,it WILL drive down prices.4. If you think you can get $150,000 in this market Id do it, it's only going to get worse. I don't think you'll get as much as you think .Have a realtor give you a fair market appraisel. The houses selling around you set the value .sorry to burst your bubble.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Macomb Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Macomb People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Macomb News, Events & Info