Some fear lifting blood ban

Apr 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Tulsa World

Gays want lifetime restriction relaxed, but hemophiliacs are concerned. Kathy Gerus-Darbison, 52, holds her photo from 1992 at her home in Macomb, Mich., on Friday.

Comments
21 - 33 of 33 Comments Last updated Apr 6, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cockroach_Sleepe r

Omaha, NE

#22 Apr 5, 2010
Says the pot calling the kettle black.

You're Insane Daniel P. from Long Island.

Gay Brothers And Sisters, Buy A Gun. Protect Your Family And Yourself.

Cockroach = Christian = Terrorist
Terrorist = Christian = Cockroach
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy is NUTS.
And a spammer.

“Haters Need 2 Shut the F-K Up!”

Since: Aug 07

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA

#23 Apr 5, 2010
My office has an Annual Blood Drive -- the bloodmobile (I call it the Vampire RV) visits our office every Spring. We can never get 100% donations because several of us here aren't allowed to donate. Our group loses the "race" for most donations every year, but too bad! I told the Director to blame the ARC because we LGBT staff cannot donate.
Jonah

Alpharetta, GA

#24 Apr 5, 2010
equalityboy81 wrote:
If they test all donated blood there should be no problem.
I don't know if this is still the case, but back in the day when testing first started, it was possible for them to accept blood that did not test positive for HIV, but in fact had not yet sero converted, so HIV was indeed present. But this same sero-conversion would appear absent in hetero blood as well as homo blood. So the ban against us is ridiculous.

As with a previous poster, I refuse to donate blood until the ban is lifted. As 0-, the universal donor, mine is in high demand.
Jonah

Alpharetta, GA

#25 Apr 5, 2010
SouthJerseySteve wrote:
My office has an Annual Blood Drive -- the bloodmobile (I call it the Vampire RV) visits our office every Spring. We can never get 100% donations because several of us here aren't allowed to donate. Our group loses the "race" for most donations every year, but too bad! I told the Director to blame the ARC because we LGBT staff cannot donate.
Yes, I remember these quite well. Back when I was closeted, our HR Director would make an example of me as being "not a team player" for not donating blood. It was a no-win situation.....Ignore the ban or be held up for ridicule.

Good times!!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#26 Apr 5, 2010
Rick in Kansas wrote:
# In the last 16 years, there have been nine known cases of HIV transmission caused by tainted blood.
# The last such case was in 2002
# In that year there were more than 13.5 million transfusions in the U.S.
# There have been over 100,000,000 transfusions since the last case of tainted blood
The existing ban comes nowhere close to excluding all those at risk of transmitting HIV infection from donating blood, but the comprehensive testing of all donations has resulted in 8 years without a single case of transmission through transfusion. The American Red Cross, as well as other groups responsible for the collection and safety of the nation's blood supply, want the ban revisited and given their excellent track record on this, their expertise should be deferred to.
Just curious, how about cases of Hep C transmission during same time period? That disease can be sexually transmitted but usually comes from blood product direct exposure.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#27 Apr 5, 2010
JohnInToronto wrote:
Just curious, how about cases of Hep C transmission during same time period? That disease can be sexually transmitted but usually comes from blood product direct exposure.
Hep C transmissions occur at a rate of 5-10 a year, roughly 1 for every 2 million transfusions, Hep B transmission has been a bigger problem, occurring around a rate of 1 for just over 200,000 transfusions, but testing for it has been improved and rates are expected to drop quickly. With the testing regimen in that's currently in place, there's a far greater risk of harm from a negative reaction to the the transfusion itself than there is from catching anything from it...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#28 Apr 5, 2010
Jonah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I remember these quite well. Back when I was closeted, our HR Director would make an example of me as being "not a team player" for not donating blood. It was a no-win situation.....Ignore the ban or be held up for ridicule.
Good times!!
I once had a friend who was a major organizer of blood drives for the Red Cross. He told me that we could--and should--give blood, but have it marked for "experimental" use only. I never felt that strong a need to give blood to an organization that categorically treated us differently.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#29 Apr 5, 2010
nhjeff wrote:
I once had a friend who was a major organizer of blood drives for the Red Cross. He told me that we could--and should--give blood, but have it marked for "experimental" use only. I never felt that strong a need to give blood to an organization that categorically treated us differently.
They weren't given the choice, the ban and its continuation rests solely with the FDA. The Red Cross is actually at the forefront of the having the ban revisited and have been for a number of years now.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#30 Apr 5, 2010
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>They weren't given the choice, the ban and its continuation rests solely with the FDA. The Red Cross is actually at the forefront of the having the ban revisited and have been for a number of years now.
As far as I know, the Red Cross has supported the ban until very recently. It certainly did under Dole.

At best, they've been mealy-mouthed cowards. They hide behind the law, pretending it's not their idea. But they have done nothing to suggest the law be changed until very recently.
Hank

Stockton, CA

#31 Apr 5, 2010
I'm a very healthy gay male. Why in the hell would I offer my blood to some ungrateful bastard anyway? When someone is on the verge of death and needs my blood type I will say sorry "its gay blood". Bye, bye.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#32 Apr 6, 2010
Hank wrote:
I'm a very healthy gay male. Why in the hell would I offer my blood to some ungrateful bastard anyway? When someone is on the verge of death and needs my blood type I will say sorry "its gay blood". Bye, bye.
I am normally not vindictive, but I have to admit, on this I am intractable. I will give blood only to friends and relatives who know I am gay and have shown no propensity towrads homophobia. All others may go wanting, and I will have no guilty conscience. If they did not want my blood before, by virture of my being gay, they can damn well do without it when they are dying.
nines

United States

#33 Apr 6, 2010
Bah, this article is just sensationalized crap to get people upset.

The article says she contracted HIV in 1993.
Then it goes on to say there's been a quarter century ban on gays giving blood.

Well if there's been a ban, obviously her husband didn't contract HIV from a gay person!

May be they just really wanted the cookies you get after you give blood... or the sweet t-shirt??? Yea right!

I always find it funny how people like this demand their rights and freedoms and that the government stay out of their business but then can't seem to understand why others should have those very same rights.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#34 Apr 6, 2010
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I am normally not vindictive, but I have to admit, on this I am intractable. I will give blood only to friends and relatives who know I am gay and have shown no propensity towrads homophobia. All others may go wanting, and I will have no guilty conscience. If they did not want my blood before, by virture of my being gay, they can damn well do without it when they are dying.
You've taken the words right out of my mouth but have illustrated it much better than I could.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Direct tv refer a friend (Sep '12) 7 hr Mark 47
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Truthisgood 115
Friend of the Court, Department of Social Servi... (Aug '06) Aug 22 angell 22
Carine Mapish inspires vctims of child abuse!! Aug 17 dreamcatchers_donna 1
Woman Reported Dead During Flood Speaks Out: 'I... Aug 16 reality is a crutch 1
Woman reported dead during Michigan flood is alive Aug 16 Maggie Gallaghers... 1
New scooter donated to Mt. Clemens woman days a... Aug 9 Kevin 1
•••
•••
•••

Macomb Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Macomb People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••