Some fear lifting blood ban

Apr 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Tulsa World

Gays want lifetime restriction relaxed, but hemophiliacs are concerned. Kathy Gerus-Darbison, 52, holds her photo from 1992 at her home in Macomb, Mich., on Friday.

Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Apr 6, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I am sorry for Mrs. Gerus-Darbison, but I wonder if she has any proof whatsoever that her husband contracted AIDS from the blood of a gay person. If one is concerned about the blood supply, he/she should be pressing for greater and more accurate testing of ALL blood. Banning gays from donating does not insure the quality of the blood supply, considering how many straight folks are HIV+ these days. There are many responsible gay folks out there that are HIV- and quite able to give blood. But go ahead and stick your head in the sand. I have a rare blood-type and I have been asked to donate blood by our local hospital. I have refused, and will continue to do so in the near future.
American who Votes

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Tulsa.

Enough said.

They're still back in the 80's anyway - why pay attention to what's happened since, eh?
Borngay Elite

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

We should charge a premium for our Gay Blood.

Its the only way a straight goober can get a transfusion from Royalty.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Cockroach_Sleeper wrote:
i thought the same thing too. this cockroach doesn't know sh&t. you can just hear it thinking, "them dang homosexuals killed my phuc-buddy, and now i'm checking out too". ah, that's not sad news. that's wonderful news! 2 more cockroaches put to sleep.
my advice to the dying cockroach, get your facts straight before you share your christian taught hate for tax-paying gay u.s. citizens with the nation or tulsa. LOL! you can die now. take your hate with you.
Gay Brothers And Sisters, Buy A Gun. Protect Your Family And Yourself.

Cockroach = Christian = Terrorist
Terrorist = Christian = Cockroach
Your INSANE !
:)

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Most hemophiliacs who contracted HIV did so before blood was being tested. These people are reacting with emotion and not logic.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

The article laments the plight of 25,000 Americans with hemophilia, and the number among those who became infected with HIV in the 1970's and 1980's via tainted blood products.

James Curran is quoted as saying "They (hemophiliacs) lost a generation of people ... this was a holocaust." Want to compare holocausts? I remember those years; I was there. And I shudder to think of the friends and loved ones I personally lost to HIV, not to mention the severe public scorn and ridicule which was heaped upon the gay community. We were told that this was a "judgement from God." We were ignored, left to die. The government refused to fund research, refused to get behind prevention programs which actually worked, and by its ignorance and inaction, continues to perpetuate the very resurgence of the epidemic we have today among heterosexual teens. In the 1981 fiscal year, the Centers for Disease Control spent $1 million on AIDS research and $9 million on Legionnaire's disease!(at that point, 1000 deaths from AIDS, 50 from Legionairres.) We had lost more than 80,000 people to AIDS before Ronald Reagan even uttered the name of the disease in public. That's over three times the total number of hemophiliacs in America all together. So cry me a river.

This isn't about keeping the blood supply safe. It's about perpetuating the false stigma that the terms "gay male" and "AIDS" are interchangeable. That's NEVER been true, and to pretend that this is about public safety is as disengenuous as can be.

If anything, America should be thanking the LGBT community for doing so much to educate people, and to prevent the spread of HIV, because the government damned sure isn't helping! There's another another 250 million dollars in this new healthcare bill slated for "abstinence only" programs, even though the numbers show these programs actually INCREASE the incidence of HIV infection among teens.

If you want to stop an epidemic, you depend on science and effective prevention methods, not prudish religious conservatism. The science says that this ban does far more harm than good, socially, economically, and medically.

So, Ms. Gerus-Darbison, just because you were harmed by ignorance does not mean that you have the right to continue to harm others through your own ignorance. If a hemophiliac dies because there is not enough blood on hand for a transfusion, it will be because you said I'm not good enough to donate it. I'm HIV negative, and there's no legitimte reason for the Red Cross to turn me away... except ignorance and homophobia.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

What's the big deal? ALL blood is tested BEFORE it is givin out, right?

Since: Apr 07

Morrison, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Cockroach_Sleeper wrote:
blah blah hate spam hate spam call for violence spam spam spam
Tell me how a Christian hating all gays irrationally is ANY worse than you hating all Christians irrationally. Until you have met every single Christian on the planet EVER, you are just as bad as any of the homophobes. You call for violence, tell people to take up arms, and lump every Christian in together under one (often false) umbrella. I hope you get banned for it. I hope you lose both hands and are unable to ever type again. Not because you're gay, but because you're a worthless troll.
Cockroach_Sleepe r

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

LOL! Whatever. Cry Baby!

CDMelton wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me how a Christian hating all gays irrationally is ANY worse than you hating all Christians irrationally. Until you have met every single Christian on the planet EVER, you are just as bad as any of the homophobes. You call for violence, tell people to take up arms, and lump every Christian in together under one (often false) umbrella. I hope you get banned for it. I hope you lose both hands and are unable to ever type again. Not because you're gay, but because you're a worthless troll.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

CDMelton wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. And I have met quite a few gay Christian pastors, and have met many str8 Christian pastors that are welcoming of gay people.

The past few months I have attended 14 Christian churches in 3 denominations looking for a church to attend regularly. I asked each pastor if gay people were welcome and every single pastor at each of those churches said "Of course you are welcome."

Ignorant and hateful people do not want to know how many Christians pastors and churches welcome gay people.

Let him live in his darkness alone.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

# In the last 16 years, there have been nine known cases of HIV transmission caused by tainted blood.
# The last such case was in 2002
# In that year there were more than 13.5 million transfusions in the U.S.
# There have been over 100,000,000 transfusions since the last case of tainted blood

The existing ban comes nowhere close to excluding all those at risk of transmitting HIV infection from donating blood, but the comprehensive testing of all donations has resulted in 8 years without a single case of transmission through transfusion. The American Red Cross, as well as other groups responsible for the collection and safety of the nation's blood supply, want the ban revisited and given their excellent track record on this, their expertise should be deferred to.

“Created Equal”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Imprtnrd wrote:
What's the big deal? ALL blood is tested BEFORE it is givin out, right?
Technically, yes, but the screening is not 100% effective. With whole blood, that's not a problem because the samples are not mixed together at all, and the odds of getting a bad batch are very very low. However, with certain blood products, like clotting factors for hemophiliacs, the product may contain blood factors from hundreds or thousands of different people because of the way it is processed. This increases the chances that a large batch could be contaminated by one bad sample that got past the screening.

Still, the procedures today are over 1000 times safer than they were in 1977. People who are HIV positive are prohibited from donating, and that's medically wise. However, it is outrageous to automatically refuse a man's contribution on the basis that since 1977, he had sex with another man one time. That's how question #34 reads, and that's what's at issue here.

“Created Equal”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
# In the last 16 years, there have been nine known cases of HIV transmission caused by tainted blood.
# The last such case was in 2002
# In that year there were more than 13.5 million transfusions in the U.S.
# There have been over 100,000,000 transfusions since the last case of tainted blood
The existing ban comes nowhere close to excluding all those at risk of transmitting HIV infection from donating blood, but the comprehensive testing of all donations has resulted in 8 years without a single case of transmission through transfusion. The American Red Cross, as well as other groups responsible for the collection and safety of the nation's blood supply, want the ban revisited and given their excellent track record on this, their expertise should be deferred to.
Very good reporting, Rick. Thanks.(And I agree with the Red Cross... the ban is pointless.)

“Created Equal”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

CDMelton wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't feed the trolls.:)
Cockroach_Sleepe r

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

What you're saying is "love the sinner, hate the sin." It figures. Christian cockroach B/S. You can live in bondage if you want too. The rest of us see the truth about AmeriKKKa, and it's AmeriKKKan christian cockroaches.

Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. And I have met quite a few gay Christian pastors, and have met many str8 Christian pastors that are welcoming of gay people.
The past few months I have attended 14 Christian churches in 3 denominations looking for a church to attend regularly. I asked each pastor if gay people were welcome and every single pastor at each of those churches said "Of course you are welcome."
Ignorant and hateful people do not want to know how many Christians pastors and churches welcome gay people.
Let him live in his darkness alone.

Since: Feb 07

Lansdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

How did we get on Christians hating Gays? The woman in the article does not mention her faith and is in fact described as a liberal who is surprised to find herself in opposition to this aspect of gay rights. She lost her husband and is losing her own life. At the time that this all occurred in her life, HIV/AIDS was presented to the world as "The Gay Disease". Her opinion was formed then and has not changed. She is a victim of Propaganda. She deserves our pity not our ire.

things have changed over the last 20+ years. HIV can be detected. Along with all the other possible diseases that any number of people could potentially donate with their blood.
Cockroach_Sleepe r

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Exactly. We all know the united states of amerikkka is a christian nation. Therefore, the religious opinion/attack that hiv/aids is a gay disease was supported by amerikkkan religious cockroaches and elected officials, all of whom talk with a christian tongue. Prove me wrong, ask 25 different people you meet today, and ask them if they are christian. No need to report back with your results.

Yobyag wrote:
How did we get on Christians hating Gays? The woman in the article does not mention her faith and is in fact described as a liberal who is surprised to find herself in opposition to this aspect of gay rights. She lost her husband and is losing her own life. At the time that this all occurred in her life, HIV/AIDS was presented to the world as "The Gay Disease". Her opinion was formed then and has not changed. She is a victim of Propaganda. She deserves our pity not our ire.
things have changed over the last 20+ years. HIV can be detected. Along with all the other possible diseases that any number of people could potentially donate with their blood.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Cockroach_Sleeper wrote:
Exactly. We all know the united states of amerikkka is a christian nation. Therefore, the religious opinion/attack that hiv/aids is a gay disease was supported by amerikkkan religious cockroaches and elected officials, all of whom talk with a christian tongue. Prove me wrong, ask 25 different people you meet today, and ask them if they are christian. No need to report back with your results.
<quoted text>
This guy is NUTS.

And a spammer.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

If they test all donated blood there should be no problem.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

It's an honor to serve in the military. It's an honor to donate blood and safe someone's life. Society is bigoted and doesn't want a gay person to be seen as honorable in any way. One that cannot serve openly will not be able to be seen as an honorable gay person. They want us all to live in shame and be stigmatized, stereotyped, dehumanized, and demonized.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Macomb Discussions

Search the Macomb Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Sexton Landscape Supply 10 hr K M Distribution 1
Redford Township may not be among nation's safe... (Sep '06) Wed captain obvious 117
Charges dropped in Devil's Diciples case (May '09) Jul 29 rotten red from Rockland 66
Sterling Heights mayor's son to be charged in f... (Aug '09) Jul 27 btk 4
48 Hours: The best of things to do in Metro Det... Jul 26 Free Kwame 1
Orders for US durable goods up 0.7 percent in June Jul 25 Doc 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
•••
•••
•••
•••

Macomb Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Macomb People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••