Pawlenty: Obama is weak on national s...

Pawlenty: Obama is weak on national security, takes 'nanny-stat...

There are 170 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 26, 2009, titled Pawlenty: Obama is weak on national security, takes 'nanny-stat.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty speaks at a luncheon Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009 during the 28th Biennial Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference on Mackinac Island, Mich.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Joe Merlot

United States

#1 Oct 26, 2009
My advise to Governor Pawlenty is to go easy on the Foreign policy criticism (which it sounds as the he has if most of his criticism is on domestic policy). I think most in the general public are comfortable with Obama's foreign policy (myself included), especially after the foreign policy disasters of the Bush Administration. If the Governor (or any candidates competing with Obama) is going to criticize the administrations foreign policy, they would also do well to give credit where it is due. Although untraditional in campaigns, it would go along way toward demonstrating reasonablness and character. On the domestic policy, hammer him hard and differentiate yourself with your own philosophy/policies which is what the Governor seems to be doing. He's absolutely correct in his characterization of Health Care in that it is substantially more about extending access than fixing the delivery system. Go get'em Governor, you have a rare opportunity, don't screw it up with politics as usual.
Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 26, 2009
Oh, yeah. This is the governor. He's gone so often, I've almost forgotten what the guy looks like. Thanks for including the pic.
Ms Bachmann

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 26, 2009
I would LOVE to see Mr. Pawlenty be Mr. President!!

This time I'll hug & kiss him for more then an hour!

Obama on the other hand,

he is not my kind or type

Love U T-Paw
Efrizzle foshizzle

Rosemount, MN

#4 Oct 26, 2009
As far as weakness on foreign policy, who was on watch during 9/11? Republicans! Who invaded Iraq with faulty informations? Republicans! Get the picture. Why should we listen to the Republicans on foreigh policy issues after the past 8 years of failures? Gomer Pile, I mean Pawlenty is a joke and if we didn't have a strong 3rd party candidate in the most recent election for governor he would have lost. Thanks for screwing up our great state.
Bob the Bilderberg

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 26, 2009
Guys are dying in Afghanistan because he's dithering about sending more troops that his commander on the ground says he needs.

Politicians, especially ones who have zero military experience, need to give their generals everything they say they need to fight the war. That is, of course, assuming you want to win it.

If I had a son or daughter in theater I'd be raising holy hell that the commander in chief obviously doesn't care if they live or die.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Oct 26, 2009
King Timmy is hitting for the fences lately with his criticism of your President, my President, and King Timmy's President. T-Paw is dead wrong, of course. As he was when he blocked the bipartisan efforts to balance the budget in Minnesota.

By using Republi-thug terms like "nanny state" and "weak on national security", he is trying to fire up the wing nuts to join his losing team.

The truth is that we are in a stronger position now than we had been during the entire Bushco & Friends Administration. Our allies are standing by our side now. And our enemies are trying to find ways to work with us rather than trying to kill us all the time.

I will take cooperation from the rest of the world any day over the war that would have happened if we stayed the course with Bushco's failed policies.
dieter

United States

#7 Oct 26, 2009
Shut the hell up TPaw, where were you for the last 8 years? By the way, tx to GWB and to you for bankrupting the country and MN.
James

Sonoma, CA

#8 Oct 26, 2009
This is a just the same old, same old. A politician on the right criticizes a politician on the left for being weak on national defense. A politician on the right attacks a politician on the left for wanting a "nanny state." Could these guys get a new act, please?(To be sure, this unoriginality isn't a symptom of the Right only.)
I don't disagree with Governor Pawlenty that health care reform is about access, but I do disagree that it has been a bait and switch. It's always been about making sure the uninsured are covered. Obama was talking about a mandate (which I disagree with unless major changes are made to the insurance system) during the campaign. One of the ways to get more people covered would be to make it more affordable, but we also have to factor in pre-existing conditions and recision (discontinuing coverage even when the patient has paid their bills). Cheaper insurance doesn't protect against either.
If a Republican politician would put their solution into the mix, I'd be happy to hear it. We need as many smart people with good ideas as we can get. But it can't be only free market and tax cuts.
Lucie

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Oct 26, 2009
Why does anyone even listen to this jerk? Talk about an egomaniac!
Hey Now

Long Lake, MN

#10 Oct 26, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
King Timmy is hitting for the fences lately with his criticism of your President, my President, and King Timmy's President. T-Paw is dead wrong, of course. As he was when he blocked the bipartisan efforts to balance the budget in Minnesota.
By using Republi-thug terms like "nanny state" and "weak on national security", he is trying to fire up the wing nuts to join his losing team.
The truth is that we are in a stronger position now than we had been during the entire Bushco & Friends Administration. Our allies are standing by our side now. And our enemies are trying to find ways to work with us rather than trying to kill us all the time.
I will take cooperation from the rest of the world any day over the war that would have happened if we stayed the course with Bushco's failed policies.
What kind of mind altering drug are you on?
James

Sonoma, CA

#11 Oct 26, 2009
C'mon Bob, just because Cheney used the word dithering doesn't mean you have to too.

Assuming we want to win? I've yet to hear what "winning" means, either in Afghanistan or Iraq. Come up with a plan, execute it, and get out. Don't talk about some nebulous "winning."

As for the Commander in Chief not caring if the soldiers live or die, that's just a ridiculous thing to say, especially given that it was the previous Commander in Chief who put them there in the first place and then didn't give a clear mission or the necessary hardware to fight it. Troops had to buy their own body armor and were fixing steel plates from the junkyard to their Humvees.

I'm not going to pretend I know the solutions to military problems of the world, but after what I saw from 2000-2008, I'm willing to give the new guy a chance.
Lucie

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Oct 26, 2009
Joe Merlot wrote:
My advise to Governor Pawlenty is to go easy on the Foreign policy criticism (which it sounds as the he has if most of his criticism is on domestic policy). I think most in the general public are comfortable with Obama's foreign policy (myself included), especially after the foreign policy disasters of the Bush Administration. If the Governor (or any candidates competing with Obama) is going to criticize the administrations foreign policy, they would also do well to give credit where it is due. Although untraditional in campaigns, it would go along way toward demonstrating reasonablness and character. On the domestic policy, hammer him hard and differentiate yourself with your own philosophy/policies which is what the Governor seems to be doing. He's absolutely correct in his characterization of Health Care in that it is substantially more about extending access than fixing the delivery system. Go get'em Governor, you have a rare opportunity, don't screw it up with politics as usual.
And what really makes Pawlenty qualified: He can see Canada from his cabin. If it worked for Palin, it should work for Timmy.
Nanny State

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Oct 26, 2009
Wow T-Paw. YOU are accusing someone of being a contributor to the nanny state? Aren't you the governor that wouldn't even allow dying cancer patients safe access to medical marijuana when recommended by one's doctor? Seems you have invited yourself right into many peoples' living rooms yourself you hockey-haired goon.(Oh wait, the mullet is short again, so it's time to go on camera and pretend he's a leader.)
Nanny State

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Oct 26, 2009
From the man who brought you the mandatory seat belt law?
ISRW

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Oct 26, 2009
Yep, pretty stock criticisms. Aside from the "projecting potential weakness" part, which I'm durned if I quite understand, these statements could come from any candidate. Norm Coleman, for example, said the same things many many times about various opponents over the years.(Give us that speech about having a little more money in your pocket with lower taxes again, Norm. Scintillating rhetoric.)

The real story here is that Pawlenty's pounding away on his visibility. He's endorsed a candidate in New York today -- as if voters there are going to be influenced by the Governor of Minnesota at this point?-- basically to get his name out there in a heavy-hitting state.

Actually the twist today is that endorsement, though -- because he and several other names in the GOP ranks went with the Conservative Party candidate. Until the end of the primary season in any election, it's a truism that you pander to your party base. Is it now the case that doing so requires demonstrating to Republican voters that you'll endorse someone *to the right of the party itself*? That's a little ominous.
Bill in Saint Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Oct 26, 2009
Joe Merlot wrote:
Yes...extending access for more people. We already have a pretty good delivery system. That's what it's all about
Bill in Saint Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Oct 26, 2009
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
Guys are dying in Afghanistan because he's dithering about sending more troops that his commander on the ground says he needs.
Politicians, especially ones who have zero military experience, need to give their generals everything they say they need to fight the war. That is, of course, assuming you want to win it.
If I had a son or daughter in theater I'd be raising holy hell that the commander in chief obviously doesn't care if they live or die.
I generals ran the country we'd be at war constantly. Generals come from one perspective, the war they're fighting. The President has to judge how a conflict impacts the entiire Country.
smb

Chanhassen, MN

#18 Oct 26, 2009
Pawlenty should know a lot about the nanny-state. Since he governs it.
Dino

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Oct 26, 2009
Yea Tim, get all the talking points correct from the Rove script. Divide up the nation on non issues and call them "threatening to our freedom" sanctity of our beliefs" etc. Criticize Obama and try to demonize him and those who believe in a little integrity (something Tim is missing. How soon before he uses Sarah's line "he is not one of "us".

Do your job or quit; you self righteous "dithering" blowhard.
jimbob

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Oct 26, 2009
the gov said, Obama "is projecting potential weakness, and enemies may see that and their respect may be reduced as a result of that, or worse." I don't think either party understands our enemies. They have NO respect for us. The US and its citizens are viewed as arogant, ignorant, and disrespectful in much of the world. We're tolerated in many places because we come with lots of $. If this country is going to make any progress with our enemies, it will come as a result of treating them with understaning and respect. We're not going to walk into any country and beat them into submission. We might win a battle or two but we haven't won at war since WWII.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mackinac Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Michigan, Enbridge reach deal on oi... Nov 28 WATCHING LIVONIA 2
Homes for rent (Apr '17) Apr '17 Ray hubbard 1
News Just when you thought it couldn't get weirder a... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Hail 1
News Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement reports rece... (Jul '11) Jun '16 muessig1 2
Detroit (Jun '16) Jun '16 David 1
Repent Repent Repent Toll Booth Guy (Apr '16) Apr '16 REPENT PAY TOLL 1
Atheist Jesus Hater Toll Booth Guy ( REPENT) (Apr '16) Apr '16 REPENT PAY TOLL 2

Mackinac Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mackinac Island Mortgages