Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. ...

Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora

There are 4998 comments on the Recordpub.com story from Jan 18, 2013, titled Steelworkers on strike at Rotek Inc. in Aurora. In it, Recordpub.com reports that:

About 120 members of United Steelworkers Local 8565 employed at Rotek Inc. went on strike Friday, January 18, according to a company spokesperson.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Recordpub.com.

truth

Louisville, KY

#2275 Apr 7, 2013
USW Local 9-562 Negotiates First Contract with BASF

McIntosh, Ala.— United Steelworkers (USW) Local 9-562 members overwhelmingly ratified a four-year, nine-month contract with BASF Corporation on July 31 that included improvements in wages, benefits and contract language for the company’s 179 USW-represented employees.

This is the first contract negotiated with BASF since the company purchased Ciba Specialty Chemicals in 2009. The site has been organized since 1956.

“Having a union allows workers to have a voice in their workplace,” said Local 9-562 President Bobby Carpenter.“We negotiated a contract that is beneficial for the workers, their families, the company and the community. Our wages and the money generated from our health care and pension benefits go back into our communities to help local businesses.”

Workers will receive a 2.5 percent wage increase each year in addition to a $1 per hour increase the first year. The health care benefit plan with Blue Cross/Blue Shield will stay the same.

BASF will contribute 2 percent of an employee’s gross wages to a 401k plan for each worker, and it will match dollar for dollar up to 7 percent of an employee’s 401k contribution.

The contract contains a one-time retirement incentive for 40 workers whose age and years of service equal 96 or more. Those who take the package will receive one week of pay per year of service plus a $9,000 bonus payment. This incentive is being offered so jobs can be found for workers affected by the shutdown of a production unit.

Another permanent retirement incentive, called a “Retirement Notice Pay Program,” enables retiring employees to train new hires. If a worker gives 6 to 12 months advance notice of his retirement, he can receive an extra payment from 8 to 16 percent of W-2 wages.

Improvements were made to contract language, and some Emergency Response Team contractors will be replaced with full-time employees. The new contract also establishes a full-time plant safety coordinator who will be chosen by the union and the company.

The agreement also is in line with other BASF contracts at USW-represented sites. The other locations and Local 9-562 are part of the union’s BASF council, which gives the locals the chance to communicate about their contract negotiations.

“Our negotiating committee couldn’t have bargained this agreement without the support of our membership, the solidarity of our negotiating committee and the expertise provided by our staff representative Randy Burkett,” said BASF Group Chairman and Local 9-562 Vice President Eugene Dunegan.“Negotiations were intense, but at the end of the day we were able to bargain a fair agreement that will help BASF now and in the future.”

Members of the Local 9-562 negotiations committee are USW staff representative Randy Burkett, BASF Group Chairman and Local 9-562 Vice President Eugene Dunegan, Local 9-562 President Bobby Carpenter and members of the workman’s committee—Ron Givens, Mike Hancock, Jessie Parnell, Larry Abston, and Fernell Pendelton.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2276 Apr 7, 2013
USW reaches 4-year agreement with Veyance Technologies

(PITTSBURGH)- After three months of negotiations, the United Steelworkers (USW) union has reached a tentative agreement on a new four-year contract with Veyance Technologies, Inc.

The settlement, which covers workers at four U.S. facilities, comes just a few days after members voted to authorize a strike against the Fairlawn, Ohio-based maker of auto parts and rubber engineered products. Members will vote to ratify the contract after informational meetings are held.

The contract covers more than 1,000 Veyance employees in Lincoln, Neb.; Marysville and St. Marys, Ohio; and Sun Prairie, Wis. Veyance is a spin-off of Goodyear’s Engineered Products division.

“We were committed to maintaining good, family-supporting jobs for our hard-working members, while also making sure Veyance can remain a strong player in a highly competitive global marketplace,” said Emil Ramirez, USW bargaining coordinator.

The new contract provides wage increases and improves job security provisions, while strengthening retirement and other benefits. If approved, it will run through July 2016.

“Both sides worked very hard to reach a fair agreement,” said USW International Vice President Tom Conway, who oversaw the talks for the union.“We are pleased to have a settlement that ensures economic stability for both our members and for the company.”
Dear Truth

Cincinnati, OH

#2277 Apr 7, 2013
Please go shoot yourself in the face and help everyone else out.

From,
Everyone else reading this forum
truth

Louisville, KY

#2278 Apr 7, 2013
truth wrote:
You guys can't even spell. I chuckle at what some of you write when you try to sound "smrt". You don't deserve a job this nice. 23 an hour and up for illiterate button pushers. Notice i didn't call you machinists. Tssk tssk tssk. Can't even see how good we have it. Wake up. A union shop takes root here, they will move all this overseas. We won't be worth the trouble. You think they can't? They have bearing companies elsewhere you know.
They will lock us out and close. A union can't stop keep us here if TK pulls out. Its WAY bigger than Aurora / Florence. We are a multi national corporation. We will lose every time. Aurora is spoon feeding you what you all want to hear so you will climb in their boat and drown along with them. It's still a cold, cruel, unforgiving economy out there. We are all very lucky to be so well compensated when so many aren't. Its all over if a union happens. 100%. Without one, we don't know, but at least we didn't blow our own brains out on the wall. There has not been one ounce of provocation towards Florence from Aurora yet.
The facts are....

70% of non-union shops move to another country!

30% of union shops move to another country!
truth

Louisville, KY

#2279 Apr 7, 2013
Dear Truth wrote:
Please go shoot yourself in the face and help everyone else out.
From,
Everyone else reading this forum
Go play with yourself funny guy or girl!
Turd Ferguson

Louisville, KY

#2280 Apr 7, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>The facts are....
70% of non-union shops move to another country!
30% of union shops move to another country!
This is not a typical shop. Not a typical situation either. If a union comes to Florence, Rotek is done. Our bearings will become European and Chinese bearings. They are already making our product. It wouldn't be hard to take our capacity. Use your heads. As a union shop, we would be more trouble than we are worth. Look what TK did to the last union shop that tried to puff it's chest out. They aren't working. They won't again. If you want all of us to join them, just go ahead and invite that union in here. Heed this warning!
truth

Louisville, KY

#2281 Apr 7, 2013
Turd Ferguson wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not a typical shop. Not a typical situation either. If a union comes to Florence, Rotek is done. Our bearings will become European and Chinese bearings. They are already making our product. It wouldn't be hard to take our capacity. Use your heads. As a union shop, we would be more trouble than we are worth. Look what TK did to the last union shop that tried to puff it's chest out. They aren't working. They won't again. If you want all of us to join them, just go ahead and invite that union in here. Heed this warning!
Belew Belew Belew

If you sit on your ass and do nothing. You will screw yourself and all of us.

You have already got screwed on your health insurance.

You have already been screwed with the two tier pay levels.

All you are is a number to Dr T, That's all he can see. A 020???? that makes to much money.

It will be a union shop. The question is before the pay cut? Or after the pay cut?
truth

Louisville, KY

#2282 Apr 7, 2013
Make Sure That Rotek Kentucky Is “Just Cause”, Not “Just Because”!

One thing many workers don’t realize is that right now, WITHOUT a union, Rotek employees are “at will”. That means without a union, you can be disciplined or terminated for just about any reason, or even no reason at all.

But with a union contract, there is “just cause”, which requires the company to have a valid reason for any disciplinary action.

Union representation is your job insurance policy in a world of constant changes........
Billy

Mentor, OH

#2283 Apr 7, 2013
i shit a turd bigger then u. ignorant inbred idiot. oh its management. expected type of comments from corrupt people who need a 50% pay cut and still would be overpaid. shut the pie hole TURD. you are talking out the other end. you know the phrase see and not heard. well apply this.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2284 Apr 7, 2013
Here are the facts about signing a USW Card:

• It simply means you ARE interested in getting together with your co-workers, and for Rotek to sit down and negotiate your terms and conditions of employment with Rotek on equal footing with Rotek management.

• You can give your signed card to a co-worker you trust, or you can mail it to the USW. Call the USW confidentially and toll-free at 1-877-511-8792 to receive a card and postage-paid envelope.

• The card is kept strictly confidential by the USW and the National Labor Relations Board (US Government). Rotek will NOT know you signed a card unless you tell them.

• You ARE protected by Federal Law (National Labor Relations Act), if you want to sign a USW card.

• You are NOT giving up your individual right to deal with your supervisors on day-to-day issues and problems.

• You are NOT required to pay any fees or dues to the USW. Since Ky. is a so-called right-to-work state, USW membership and payment of dues is completely voluntary.

• You are NOT taking a stand against the company or being disloyal by signing a card.........
truth

Louisville, KY

#2285 Apr 7, 2013
1. Contact an Organizer in Confidence

• An organizer can answer any questions you might have about how to join a union at work.

• Once you start the process of joining a union, your job is protected – it is your legal right to belong to the union of your choice.

2. Sign a Union Card

• A majority of your co-workers sign union cards at your workplace.

• No one will ever know if you sign a union card.

• The employer does not have the right to know who signed a card and will never find out.

3. Secret Ballot Vote

• When a majority of your co-workers sign cards the Labor Relations Board will hold a secret ballot vote to form a union at your workplace.

• Vote YES to join the union.....
truth

Louisville, KY

#2286 Apr 7, 2013
All Rotek Employees

What are you waiting for? How long must your family sacrifice for this company? How long will you continue to work in fear and uncertainty about your future because you refuse to unite with ONE VOICE!.
Europe

Cincinnati, OH

#2287 Apr 7, 2013
This is the song that plays while The Truth does his spamming on here!

http://youtu.be/9jK-NcRmVcw
Turd Ferguson

Brecksville, OH

#2288 Apr 7, 2013
truth wrote:
All Rotek Employees
What are you waiting for? How long must your family sacrifice for this company? How long will you continue to work in fear and uncertainty about your future because you refuse to unite with ONE VOICE!.
Fear? Cmon you little drama queen. Really?

Sacrifice? Please! We are all very well paid...

2 tier pay levels? Show me... Does not exist in Florence.

Screwed on Insurance? Insurance sucks every where. But thats someone else's fault. Not Rotek.

Union = closed. Think about it Florence. No one is working in Aurora. That will be us.
confirmation

Stow, OH

#2289 Apr 7, 2013
Turd Ferguson wrote:
<quoted text>
We didn't puff our chest. We are standing to not lose what we've worked hard for. When this is over and you benefit from our strife we'll lend you our chests for you to puff out and say "See, we didn't have to give anything up." Keep on ridin' on our coattails.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2290 Apr 7, 2013
Turd Ferguson wrote:
<quoted text>
Fear? Cmon you little drama queen. Really?
Sacrifice? Please! We are all very well paid...
2 tier pay levels? Show me... Does not exist in Florence.
Screwed on Insurance? Insurance sucks every where. But thats someone else's fault. Not Rotek.
Union = closed. Think about it Florence. No one is working in Aurora. That will be us.
Dr T's ..........to do list

MEDICAL PLAN
Aurora .... Damn union!
Florence .... I screwed them, more bonus for me.

PAYCUTS
Aurora .... Damn union!
Florence .... I can't do it right now. But when I fined out what percent the union will fall for, I'll fix that. ha ha they think there to good for a pay cut.

2 TIER PAY LEVELS
Aurora .... Damn union!
Florence .... Ha ha they never seen it coming. I got them right were I want them. Yes more bonus for me, the next few years. As we get rid of the overpaid.

PAID HOLIDAYS
Aurora .... Damn union!
Florence .... One shop has to keep running smoothly. Ha ha they think there going to keep it.

REDUCED VACATION HOURS PAY
Aurora .... Damn union!
Florence .... Ha ha in do time, nothing to stop me.

OVERTIME PAY
Aurora .... Damn union!
Florence .... I'll take care of that, there's nothing they can do about it.

THE GOAL
I will line my pockets with the green stuff.
LOL

The time has come to arm ourselves against Dr T and organize!....
truth

Louisville, KY

#2291 Apr 7, 2013
clueless in chicago" wrote:

Rotek has all the control over my insurance. The laws are changing, so they will take advantage of them. It's their choice. They have the control. They aren't prohibited from giving me good insurance. Next year, the law will allow them to reduce my coverage to 60% across the board or opt out completely for a non tax deductible penalty. Whoever crunches the numbers will tell them what to do.

you nailed it, and Dr T is laughing all the way to the bank.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2292 Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to talk to us. I have a better understanding about what happen up north, very sorry and hopeful that it will all work out for you all. The thought of working for the same guy is mind boggling. I all so have a better understanding about the tier 2 thing, and how it could be trouble for anyone that was hired before 11-1-12.

I wondered why Nancy Waggoner (H.R.) couldn't make eye contact with anyone when she said we were going to that, in the last meeting we had.

On all the questions that were ask, all your answers seemed to be down to earth.
truth

Louisville, KY

#2293 Apr 7, 2013
On the 2 tier salary structure, for the older employees. Yes all the jobs that could be lost for employees hired before 11-1-12. How you say? When they change the rules to make it easier to fire you. With no union, they can make new rules as they go.

A union will help protect your job. It will change the whole way the shop operates. Because you will be a part of what happens.

If we have a layoff. Can you guess where you will be with the 2 tier pay level, when coming back to work?

Nancy has said, we were going with the 2 tier structure, in the last meeting they had with us.

On the 2 tier salary structure, for the newer employees. For starters after you get to the top of your pay grade in 3 years, you will make $2.00 to $4.00 less,(depending what pay grade your in) then all the older employees before 11-1-12.

They will use this 2 tier thing on you, when they consider your overpaid at a later time. And you will get to train your replacement too!

All company's that have used the 2 tier thing, have used it as a tool to get rid of older guys. They consider making to much money.

A union will help protect your job. Be a part of what happens.

The time has come to arm ourselves against Dr T, and organize!
truth

Louisville, KY

#2294 Apr 7, 2013
Unless workers have a union contract, they are at the mercy of company policies. Rotek employment handbooks clearly state that policies are "guidelines only and ... not a contract of employment" or that the

"terms of the handbook are subject to change without notice".

Even under a company's "open-door" policy, there is nothing to really make anyone believe that the policy is meaningful. To the contrary, there is often a powerful conflict of interest in these "open door" policies because workers are complaining about management's decisions to a board or body that has been handpicked by management.

Workers without a contract are considered "employees at will." That means they can be fired at any time and without reason, the only exceptions are termination for discrimination, whistle-blowing or union organizing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macedonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two suspended drivers and one Speed Racer: Bent... May 13 yidfellas v USA 1
MACEDONIA is GREECE! May 5 MACEDONIA ISGREECE 1
Amanda Wyatt Mar '17 Screw you 1
TURKEY to BUY FYROM (Oct '12) Mar '17 MACEDONIA ISGREECE 2
Shaker Day Camp (Jun '09) Mar '17 Greg Johnson 40
Macedonia USA named after Greek city. (Jan '15) Jan '15 Macedonian name 1
News Skopje, Macedonia: Kitsch capital of the Balkans (Oct '12) Jan '15 Prepare for war 67

Macedonia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macedonia Mortgages