Top Stories - First Coast Priest Sued...

Top Stories - First Coast Priest Sued, Accused of Abusing and T...

There are 117 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Sep 19, 2007, titled Top Stories - First Coast Priest Sued, Accused of Abusing and T.... In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

By Jackelyn Barnard First Coast News JACKSONVILLE, FL -- First Coast News has learned a Jacksonville priest has been sued along with his church and the church's archdiocese.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
hmm

AOL

#1 Sep 19, 2007
I am wondering why the parents of the john doe allowed the relationship to go as far as it did. With all the obvious money the priest was spending on the boy it seems as if the inappropriate behavior began long ago. I would have questioned his interest at that time not now.
True Greek

Newark, NJ

#2 Sep 19, 2007
Everyone does realize that this is a money-making scheme created by some miserable beggars, right?
Jay

Calgary, Canada

#3 Sep 19, 2007
How is True Greek so sure. Is it because it is the Greek Church? I think so. Just like the Roman Catholics are in denial about their celibate priests. Let the courts decide and if Mr. Priest is guilty, let's lock him up for the rest of his life and have the church pay the victim dearly..... Once again, religeon, like alcohol and gambling is never good in excess(holy rollers)
Charles

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Sep 19, 2007
This is terrible, if it is true.
Marco

Jacksonville, FL

#5 Sep 20, 2007
You need to be careful out there. Especially if someone else is taking a special interest in your children. Lock up the pedophiles, lose theirs records, and throw away the key.
Gator Girl

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Sep 20, 2007
Why haven't they contacted JSO? That makes me think the family is only interested in money. If that were my son, I'd want that man locked up. There would be time to worry about money later!

Since: Jul 07

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Sep 20, 2007
"The lawsuit claims Graff took "John Doe" to and from school, and bought him an car and clothes."

Don't worry, Jackelyn, we all make mistakes.

This is kind of freaky. Almost pathetic.
Concerned Mom

United States

#9 Sep 20, 2007
From what I'm reading, this unusual relationship went on for some time and the mother also is at fault for not putting a stop to it in 2003, when offered money for adoption. Why didn't she raise "holy hell" with the church then and put a stop to this man? If she did, the boy wouldn't have been sexually abused 2 years later. This priest may have taken advantage of a struggling single Mom, who probably spent the money he was giving to her son. There's definitely more here than meets the eye. Why did the mother let this man manipulate their lives for so long? Mothers need to wake up and do all they can to protect their children. Follow your gut feelings about people, you're probably right. Just because they're leaders of the church, doesn't make them good people. For most predators, the church is the perfect hunting ground. The Mother had to have had bad gut feelings about this guy. Shame on both the Mom and the Priest!! At least the boy is getting help.
person

United States

#10 Sep 20, 2007
Sounds like she was a single mom probably struggling and thought the priest was helping her out for good reasons/intentions. Nobody knows the whole story. The mom probably thought the priest realized she couldnt provide for her son so he offered to adopt him....(with his own intentions in mind)And too the mom probably thought that the guidance from the priest was better than what she could give him. But little did the mom know the boy was actually being assualted.
MomOf2

United States

#11 Sep 20, 2007
I agree that the relationship should have been questioned and stopped by the mom YEARS ago. Struggling single mom or not, I would rather live on the streets than succumb to a relationship where my child is harmed in any way!
And let's remember - there are pedophiles in EVERY walk of life... the media has really hyped up the fact that prominent religious figures have been accused, because it's eye-catching. But, most priests and ministers are NOT pedophiles! So JAY, think twice before equating priests/ministers with molestation, and don't throw in the catholic or "priest" label with molesters so automatically. It just makes you look small-minded. And no, I'm not a particularly religious person.... I just disagree with stereotypes.
Fallen Angel

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Sep 20, 2007
What ever! If the preist was doing all of this, why continue to take gifts and money from him. This mom has sold her child. How sad!
Roll Tide

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Sep 20, 2007
The lawsuit details that in the summer of 2003, Graff offered the boy's mother "$300,000 in exchange" for her "surrender of parental rights to Plaintiff Doe," which the mother refused.

The lawsuit then goes on to detail that in August of 2005, Graff "sexually assaulted Plaintiff Doe," and Graff "sought to formally adopt Plaintiff Doe."

If the boy is 22 years old now, in 2003 he would have been almost 18 years old. Why would he need to be adopted? And in August of 2005 he definitely would have been an adult. Hmmm....There are just a lot of things here that don't sound right. I definitely think something is fishy here.
Linda

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Sep 20, 2007
So why didn't this mother figure something out wqhile this guy was doling out money and gifts to the son??? I smell BLACKMAIL....maybe he decided to stop paying so she wnet to the news...makes you wonder if there is an alterior motive behind this one.
passingthrough

New York, NY

#15 Sep 20, 2007
Sounds like Linda hit the nail on the head.
Sounds like the kid is a victim, not of the priest but of his own family.
ana

Orange Park, FL

#16 Sep 20, 2007
This priest Christened my son 6 years ago.I remember he used to drive this really nice car black Mecedes and i always wondered how he got the money to live in one of the best neighborhoods in Jacksonville. Now i thank God i did not send my son to sunday school with this priest.It is so sad that so many priests are crazy and i do not trust anyone with my children and no mother should .
Marco

Jacksonville, FL

#17 Sep 20, 2007
The mother is pimping her child to the priest? She needs to be tried in a court of law as well.
IMO

Sterling, VA

#18 Sep 20, 2007
Everything written in the ariticle is from the "John Doe" side - this could very well be a struggling famliy taking advantage of the court system (again). This Priest may have been helping this "family" (probably single mom with issues and son doomed from the get go) out and when the kid hit the legal age, the money stops and they yell rape. They know the Church will settle. Just my thoughts. Open mind people.
A Mom

AOL

#19 Sep 20, 2007
Any one that was an active member in that church knows that the priest came to that church with his own money. He did not need anything from the church in a monetary way. He donated more money to that church then most of the members. Ana should get her facts straight. I did and still would leave my children with him.
A Mom

AOL

#20 Sep 20, 2007
This is not a single mother without family. She has parents a brother and sister. Who by the way were in church every Sunday while their grandson or newphew was living with the priest. Never saw them upset about it then. They did not want him at home. The sad part is that the plantiff is a victim of his own family who are using him as their meal ticket. This family has had issues from the time they entered the church.
Mom of 4

Jacksonville, FL

#21 Sep 20, 2007
Ana,
Are you really a member of the church? Everyone in the community knows that his home in Queens Harbour is owned by his Aunt. Are you actually saying you think he is guilty because of some of his material possessions? I hope this isn't indicative of how you're raising your children. If so, maybe you *should* send them to Sunday School!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macclenny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Caught Having Sex with a Picnic Table (Mar '08) 3 hr Ricky F 958
News U.S. and World News - Child Falls From Ferris W... (Aug '07) 4 hr Michelle 12
trump maybe russia Tue Racist Pig Boy 4
to go or not to go by darkvader (Feb '08) Tue brandy trujillo 23
News Top Stories - FBI Raids Outlaws Motorcycle Club... (Aug '07) Aug 22 RFFR 221
News Sisters of Cherish Perrywinkle removed from mother (Jul '13) Aug 22 Jen 15
News Strange & Unusual - 61-Year-Old Man Abandoned B... (Mar '07) Aug 21 Big Smally Biggs 18

Macclenny Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macclenny Mortgages