Juror's Relationship May Force Retrial

Jun 2, 2009 Full story: www.news4jax.com 11

A jury convicted Meloney Lee Jackson of killing her husband, but a judge must decide if the verdict will stand after learning one of the jurors had a romantic relationship with Jackson's oldest son.

Full Story

Since: Jul 07

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Jun 2, 2009
I've never been called for jury duty, but I know there is a vetting process. I'm pretty sure that she was asked if she knew the defendant and if she said no, could she be brought up on charges?

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#2 Jun 2, 2009
The juror should face contempt charges.

Since: Aug 08

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Jun 2, 2009
Joe_ wrote:
I've never been called for jury duty, but I know there is a vetting process. I'm pretty sure that she was asked if she knew the defendant and if she said no, could she be brought up on charges?
I agree the juror should be charged. She has undermined the system, possibly made a biased decision in sending someone to prison and will cost the taxpayers a lot of money for a new trial. Amazing.

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jun 2, 2009
Julianna_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the juror should be charged. She has undermined the system, possibly made a biased decision in sending someone to prison and will cost the taxpayers a lot of money for a new trial. Amazing.
Can they do that though?

“the doctor is in the house”

Since: May 08

jacksonville florida

#5 Jun 2, 2009
Joe_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Can they do that though?
you bet they can!

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Jun 2, 2009
Joe_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Can they do that though?
Absolutely.

“3 words I spoke!”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#7 Jun 2, 2009
"On the way back to jail, Jackson also told a deputy, "There was a girl on the jury that my son broke her heart and now, today, she has broken his heart."

if she knew there was someone on the jury that would have maybe push for a more severe sentence and may have a biased opinion about her, why the hell did this woman not tell her lawyer...it was all a set up...husband killer, son and girlfriend....charge them all!
Westside conservative

Jacksonville, FL

#8 Jun 2, 2009
chic_ wrote:
"On the way back to jail, Jackson also told a deputy, "There was a girl on the jury that my son broke her heart and now, today, she has broken his heart."
if she knew there was someone on the jury that would have maybe push for a more severe sentence and may have a biased opinion about her, why the hell did this woman not tell her lawyer...it was all a set up...husband killer, son and girlfriend....charge them all!
I agree with you Chic. If it was me on trial and I saw her on the jury I would have started screaming in the courtroom to get her off the jury. She saw the woman and thought she would help her and now that she hasn't she screams. I would say if 11 other people found her guilty then she is guilty. Unfortunately we will probably be paying for a new trial.

“The Head Ape in Charge”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#9 Jun 2, 2009
Joe_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Can they do that though?
Yes it is Called contempt of court and though it could be a stretch perjury charges could be filed depending on how you interpret the definition of
PERJURY - When a person, having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the U.S. authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true.

“3 words I spoke!”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 2, 2009
Westside conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you Chic. If it was me on trial and I saw her on the jury I would have started screaming in the courtroom to get her off the jury. She saw the woman and thought she would help her and now that she hasn't she screams. I would say if 11 other people found her guilty then she is guilty. Unfortunately we will probably be paying for a new trial.
yep, she thought her sons girlfriend was going to be able to presuade the other jurors in her favor...wrong...all three of them are morons and should be charged..but you are right, we will most likely see another trail...a waste of money for someone who does nothing but waste space!

Jacksonville, FL

#11 Jun 3, 2009
chic_ wrote:
<quoted text>
yep, she thought her sons girlfriend was going to be able to presuade the other jurors in her favor...
You could be right about that. And it will cost taxpayers a lot of money now. The prosecutor, judge and other court staff are all paid by the state. That money could be used in other areas. I hope they're charged too. This is a mockery of the process, and they should be made an example.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macclenny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 8 hr VET 2,499
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 10 hr heros 2,974
DemoRat sluts throw Obama.nation 'under the bu... 22 hr noshellswill 2
Video Spotlight - A Whites-Only Bathroom on the... (Nov '07) Sat WC St Marys 893
Obama.nation ... just another stupid bling-pimp... Fri noshellswill 1
w a r n i n g ! > ulas system store< (Apr '13) Fri george99 2
USA gestapo-snoops APPLE just like Hitler and ... Fri noshellswill 1
•••
Macclenny Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Macclenny Jobs

•••
•••
•••