Most Popular - Second Grader Stripped...

Most Popular - Second Grader Stripped Naked, Spanked in Front o...

There are 144 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Feb 28, 2007, titled Most Popular - Second Grader Stripped Naked, Spanked in Front o.... In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

By Jane Watrel WRC/NBC News Channel PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, MD -- School officials in Prince George's County, Maryland are investigating a relative's actions in a charter school last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
macbeth32

Jasper, FL

#2 Mar 1, 2007
The statement in the 2d grader story "...All interactions were between the child and a family member" actually sounds pretty stupid to me. The class was there and the "interactions" certainly included them. I DO agree with "spanking" a child in class, in front of his classmates -- embarrassment is a big part of discipline -- but I emphatically do not agree with the aunt's doing it or pulling the child's pants down to do it. Rules were different when I was young (about 60 years ago) and got a spanking in class but I do not think a teacher or principal would have liked my parents' reaction had they pulled down my pants and the idea of allowing someone other than a teacher or principal to touch a child in class or on school grounds is ridiculous. Yes, a parent or perhaps even an aunt might have the right to discipline a child, but not in a classroom where the school could be held responsible for any injury to that child -- regardless of who did it. I invite any attorneys in the audience to comment on that subject.
kiki

Savannah, GA

#3 Mar 1, 2007
claude Smith wrote:
TAKE THE AUNT TO EHERE A GROUP OF HER PEERS ARE AND STRIP HER FOM THE WAIST AND SPANK HER.
JUSTICE SEVED
no justice is not served now she didn't have to pull his pants down in front of the class but however if he got a spanking then he must needed it
shelley

Tupelo, MS

#4 Mar 1, 2007
I went to a catholic school and was spanked in front of my class, by my teacher.If this were 20 years ago we would not have heared anything about this. I do not agree with pulling the childs pants down but I DO agree with spanking the childs butt. Kids now a days need to have there tails spanked when its called for. The real problem is that parents dont want to do it and kids are acting out.
Meka

Orange Park, FL

#5 Mar 1, 2007
That's just ridiculous. I'm all for spanking a child when they need to be disciplined but stripping him in front of his classmates and spanking him? That was totally uncalled for and will do nothing to help his behavior. Children can be cruel and they will not let him forget this incident.
Squeaks

Eatonton, GA

#6 Mar 1, 2007
Geez! The Aunt sounds like a hot-head (not to mention a little on the freak side) to show up at his school, make him "flash" his classmates, and whip him...could she not wait until he got home from school? Weirdo!
Dawn Towe

Aiken, SC

#7 Mar 1, 2007
I think that the aunt should be arrested and the school should have stopped the aunt . The other children should not have wittnessed actions like that . It is child abuse.
TSM

Orange Park, FL

#8 Mar 1, 2007
There's a big difference between effective discipline and humiliation. I have no problem with spanking; but, regardless of his offense, making the child pull his pants down in front of the class is abuse plain and simple. This woman needs to be charged with such and the family most likely needs counseling. If this is what they are willing to do in public, I can only imagine what they must do to punish the child in private. As an educator myself, I can't believe this school appears to sanction this type of action.
Michelle

United States

#9 Mar 1, 2007
THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL CHILD ABUSE HUMILATION.
GET SOME HELP LADY.
jose

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Mar 2, 2007
All of you would be the ones later on crying "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH CRIME IN OUR CITIES?" and this is why the world is turning the way it is especially here in the USA. Kids killing other kids and adults, kids having kids and leaving them to the government. We have lost our culture when it was ok to spank a child. Notice that there is a difference between spanking and abusing a child. I don’t think she was abusing the child. Did she go over board, yes but she didn’t abuse him. That was her choice of corporal punishment which by the way is allowed by some if not all States. If you want to live in a country were the government tells you what you should and shouldn’t do. I think we just liberated them or CUBA is closer. So go ahead fly over there and let me know how it feels. We need to stop being this touchy feeling USA and stop complaining about “OH! MY FEELINGS GOT HURT”
Smiley

United States

#11 Mar 2, 2007
jose wrote:
All of you would be the ones later on crying "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH CRIME IN OUR CITIES?" and this is why the world is turning the way it is especially here in the USA. Kids killing other kids and adults, kids having kids and leaving them to the government. We have lost our culture when it was ok to spank a child. Notice that there is a difference between spanking and abusing a child. I don’t think she was abusing the child. Did she go over board, yes but she didn’t abuse him. That was her choice of corporal punishment which by the way is allowed by some if not all States. If you want to live in a country were the government tells you what you should and shouldn’t do. I think we just liberated them or CUBA is closer. So go ahead fly over there and let me know how it feels. We need to stop being this touchy feeling USA and stop complaining about “OH! MY FEELINGS GOT HURT”
I couldnt agree more with this statement, I believe in spanking and if teachers were able too, Kids might think twice before acting out, the problen is all the bad seeds out there that abuse their children, I agree also that we need to rethink affending those in the progress of right, we need to stop trying to take God out of our country we have been a blessed nation but this free will of do what you feel has hurt us our children if you dont agree just weatch the moning news,
Karen

United States

#12 Mar 2, 2007
I to agree with what Jose wrote and with what Smiley wrote.
It's time that the adults in the world teach children how to behave.
I am so sick of seeing our youth robbed of a good life because they were raised in a manner where no-one ever tells them No.
We want to punish them when it is too late.
Train a child while they are young. Why do we wait until they murder or go to jail to say that they need to be punished?
jax florida

Hillsborough, NJ

#13 Mar 2, 2007
from this displine will the child do it a second time - THINK NOT
Kathi Solomon

Orange Park, FL

#14 Mar 2, 2007
That spanking only created recentment and anger. The Child
did not deserve a punishment of
total humiliation, no matter what he did. Unfortunatly that kind of treatment will last him a life time. The Aunt needs to know how to punish with love.
Kathi Solomon

Orange Park, FL

#15 Mar 2, 2007
I agree with corporal punishment after all other
displine measures have been spent. In addition
Corporal punishment in front of a classroom of students that the child will be going to school with for the next 10 years, was way overboard.
There is a time and a place for corporal punishment.
Mary

Binghamton, NY

#16 Mar 2, 2007
Has anyone from there called either HRS or the police? I believe in spanking a child, but that is abuse to do it with a belt. And exposing the kid & the other students, well if the kid pulled his pants down himself in class he would have been arrested for exposure! That Aunt needs a bit of counselling I'd say!!
Debbie

Orange Park, FL

#17 Mar 3, 2007
I agree with Jose, Smiley and Karen. All the people complaining about what the aunt did need to work in a daycare for one day and then decide for themselves if the aunt did the wrong thing. I do daycare work and everyday I see hitting, biting, cussing, screaming, throwing food, kicking and spitting all done by two year olds. Their punishment, two minutes in timeout, if you can get them to.
Wendy

Chickamauga, GA

#18 Mar 3, 2007
I belive in spanking children but like alot of others has said, what the Aunt did was child abuse. You can't pull a childs pants down in front of his class mates. What would you want done had a teacher or other school offical done this? You would want them locked up. So what is the difference? Nothing!!!!
Evatte

Inglewood, CA

#19 Mar 3, 2007
If more parents spanked there children and embarrassed them in school them maybe we won't have the problems that children display these days. There is a big difference between spanking and abuse and what she did was correct, because I am sure if some of the folks (who disagree with this type of punishment) children were in a class with a very rude and disruptive child the comment they would make is the parent/guardian need to do something about the child. My children know that I will kick there behind if needed, even if it means going to the school, and pulling them out of class. My children teacher's know me well and they know I will show up and show out on my children. If I carried a child for 9 months and went through hours of pain to birth it into this world, then there is no one on this earth that can tell me how or how not to discipline MY CHILD. I am certain there are parents now that wished they had spanked that behind more often
kiki

Savannah, GA

#20 Mar 5, 2007
Wendy wrote:
I belive in spanking children but like alot of others has said, what the Aunt did was child abuse. You can't pull a childs pants down in front of his class mates. What would you want done had a teacher or other school offical done this? You would want them locked up. So what is the difference? Nothing!!!!
WELL ACTUALLY IF THE TEACHER SPANKED MY CHILD FOR ACTING UP IN CLASS AND ACTING AS THOUGH HE/SHE HAS NO HOME TRAINING I WOULDN'T BE SO MAD IF MY CHILD GOT A SPANKING CAUSE NOW THEY WILL KNOW NOT ONLY CAN I BE BAD AT HOME I CAN'T BE BAD AT SCHOOL EITHER, PLUS AFTER THE TEACHER SPANK THEIR BUTT WHEN THEY GET HOME THEY WILL GET ANOTHER ONE FROM ME..........I GOT SPANKED GROWING UP CLOTHES ON CLOTHES OFF AND I DIDN'T FEEL THEN AND STILL DON'T FEEL NOW THAT IT WAS CHILD ABUSE IN NO SHAME FORM OR FASHION.........MY KIDS KNOW YOU SHOW OUT, I SHOW OUT SO MAKE YOUR CHOICE AND IFD YOU DON'T WANT TO BE EMBARRSSED THEN ACT RIGHT.........THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN DISCIPLING YOUR CHILD AND ABUSING YOUR CHILD.........AND WHAT THE AUNT DID IS NO WHERE NEAR ABUSE AT ALL, THAT WAS DISCIPLINE ALL THE WAY......BUT I BETCHA THIS THAT CHILD WON'T ACT UP KNOW MORE IN SCHOOL CAUSE HE/SHE WILL REMEMBER THAT.........HUH
just me

United States

#21 Mar 5, 2007
I believe this aunt (?? why the aunt?) was wrong to go into the classroom and pull the child's pants down. Why was she doing the disipline? If anyone else had pulled his pants down there would be an uproar from everyone!
Did he deserve a spanking? Probably. I believe in spankings.
My daughter-in-law got several calls from school about my grandson talking in class and causing disruptions. He was warned repeatedly by Mom and the teachers. Mom told him if she got one more call, she was going to come to school and put duct tape over his mouth!!
She got the call---she got the tape--she knocked on the classroom door and called him out. She put the tape over his mouth, and told the teacher 'he is to leave it on the rest of the day'.(It was 2 pm)
The teacher called her later and said, "I didn't know whether to laugh, or try to pretend I didn't see it, but I was never so proud of a parent."
My daughter-in-law never got another call.
Was my grandson humiliated? Probably. but it wasn't a naked, shame, humiliation. He came home with a sheepish grin.(He knows he's loved.)
Not only was the child in question here humiliated, but the children in the classroom were.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macclenny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Attention drivers: Waldo's 'speed trap' police ... (Jun '07) 1 hr Road Runner 65
Dating Black Women In Jacksonville Area 9 hr Sly Fox 1
News The flip side of years of no hurricanes: Good l... (May '15) 15 hr Actual Science 4
Single mom moving to Jax.. are there any assist... (Mar '08) Sun fla814 143
Over 35,000 White Women are Raped by Blacks ann... (Apr '13) Sat DentalFloss 205
Art n Illusion Hair Salon (Jun '15) Aug 27 Judy W 23
Review: Boty Enterprises (Aug '15) Aug 26 Screwed Over Too 2

Macclenny Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macclenny Mortgages