Is Jacksonville becoming blacker?

Posted in the Macclenny Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Feb 15, 2012
Depends on how you measure it. According to the census in 2000 29.7% of Jacksonville was Black. In 2010 it was 30.7%, so not a real big difference.

OTOH, in 2000 66% of Jacksonville was white. In 2010 it was 59.4%, so a drop of 6.6%

Between 2000 and 2010 Jacksonville gained 86,167 people. Of that growth, whites made up 3%, Blacks made up 39% with other races,(Asians, Indians, etc) making up 58%.

If you want more info, you can check out the census at http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableserv...
Wisdom Boy

Waterford, MI

#3 Feb 15, 2012
Sobering
Jack-Zoo-Ville

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Feb 16, 2012
Roberta wrote:
It seems everywhere I go it's like a different part of Africa. Or is it just my imagination? More Section 8s, crime, thuggery.
Oh please!!!
It's been like that for a long time now
:P
Everywhere you go there's a pack ( A pack, not one ) of negros acting like animals... speeding down the road or driving too slow like 20 mph below the speed limit, jaywalking in front of you as you are going with the traffic flow of 45 mph, holding up the shopping lines at stores because they send their kids to fetch for more stuff from the isle and try to pay with bounced checks, their kids don't even go to school, taking forever at the drive-thru, black guys acting as if all white women want a black guy and they know it, living in filthy dirty rat infested neighborhoods, corrupting the companies they work for by getting all their lazy family members a job with the company...
I can go on all day with this...
And the worst part, black police officers in Jax act like terrorists against non-black people.
Jacksonville is a zoo, not a city
The landing is now an abandoned building and shootings break out at the malls...
:P
Mickler

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Feb 17, 2012
Roberta wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and they own all the handicapped spaces so people with real handicaps have to park elsewhere. The cops don't seem to care. Or maybe hey don't want a riot?
I don't believe that. Have you been to Wal Mart lately? There are more than enough fat, white people using the handicapped spaces and then riding dirty on those free motorized carts inside.
Roberta

Jacksonville, FL

#8 Feb 17, 2012
Mickler wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe that. Have you been to Wal Mart lately? There are more than enough fat, white people using the handicapped spaces and then riding dirty on those free motorized carts inside.
Black "muthas" seem to be uniformly obese. But I think white women are just as despicable. Morbid obesity has become a lifestyle.
kckt

United States

#9 Feb 17, 2012
If Michelle Obama is SOOOOO concerned about childhood obesity, why isn't she campaigning to mandate the usage of food stamps for "healthy" foods only? Why not take on the welfare junk food junkies(which have expensive health problems related to their diet and cost the taxpayers) instead of beating up people who are not on the government take for their healthcare?
Jack-Zoo-Ville

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Feb 18, 2012
kckt wrote:
If Michelle Obama is SOOOOO concerned about childhood obesity, why isn't she campaigning to mandate the usage of food stamps for "healthy" foods only? Why not take on the welfare junk food junkies(which have expensive health problems related to their diet and cost the taxpayers) instead of beating up people who are not on the government take for their healthcare?
Because she is trying to play out the fake "I'm a very classy black woman who drinks cappuccino and reads hundreds of books" BS to water down the chimp-out stereotype of black women, some white house personnel have already said that Michelle chimps-out at any given moment for any reason.

I mean, do we really need to be putting up with the African-American insecurity coming form the white house?

People are financially hurting right now but we need to stop and not worry about that because the first lady needs to dissolve a negative stereotype, how pathetic is that?

Since: Sep 11

Sycamore, GA

#12 Feb 18, 2012
FLBeaver wrote:
Depends on how you measure it. According to the census in 2000 29.7% of Jacksonville was Black. In 2010 it was 30.7%, so not a real big difference.
OTOH, in 2000 66% of Jacksonville was white. In 2010 it was 59.4%, so a drop of 6.6%
Between 2000 and 2010 Jacksonville gained 86,167 people. Of that growth, whites made up 3%, Blacks made up 39% with other races,(Asians, Indians, etc) making up 58%.
If you want more info, you can check out the census at http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableserv...
Not being sarcastic here, but thank you for bringing facts and not taking this into a wrong angle. It does seem like the topic is going to incite problems though.

Sycamore, GA

#13 Feb 18, 2012
kckt wrote:
I worked in a gas station for a certain short period of time and I am just dying to know why 20oz sodas and candy and chips and all kinds of junk can be paid for with food stamp cards. I see it all the time where the baby momma comes in with baby dady and baby momma tells baby daddy to get the stuff he wants cause she'll put it on her card. They should at least make the program like WIC, so all you can get is stuff to eat that is not junk and is supposed to help sustain a family for their needs...not their wants. Thank you for bringing that issue up.

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Feb 18, 2012
skeletoninthecloset wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked in a gas station for a certain short period of time and I am just dying to know why 20oz sodas and candy and chips and all kinds of junk can be paid for with food stamp cards. I see it all the time where the baby momma comes in with baby dady and baby momma tells baby daddy to get the stuff he wants cause she'll put it on her card. They should at least make the program like WIC, so all you can get is stuff to eat that is not junk and is supposed to help sustain a family for their needs...not their wants. Thank you for bringing that issue up.
Having been on it at one point, while I understand the frustration with those who misuse their funds and spend most of the funds on junk food, for those who aren't doing that it was still nice to be able to put a twinkie or cupcake in my kids lunch every so often.

It also seems hypocritical of people to say that the government should get out of people's lives and then turn around and say the government should tell people what they can and can't eat. And if the argument is that they are using taxpayer dollars, then would you agree that the government has the right to tell all government employees what they can and can't eat since they are buying their food with taxpayer dollars?

One other interesting point is that because SNAP is run by the Dept. of Agriculture, one can use the card for food items like cereal and bread, but not paper goods like toilet paper and feminine products. So to your point one can't buy cigarettes and booze, but you could buy all the junk food one wanted, but not toilet paper.
Mickler

Jacksonville, FL

#15 Feb 20, 2012
FLBeaver wrote:
<quoted text>
Having been on it at one point, while I understand the frustration with those who misuse their funds and spend most of the funds on junk food, for those who aren't doing that it was still nice to be able to put a twinkie or cupcake in my kids lunch every so often.
It also seems hypocritical of people to say that the government should get out of people's lives and then turn around and say the government should tell people what they can and can't eat. And if the argument is that they are using taxpayer dollars, then would you agree that the government has the right to tell all government employees what they can and can't eat since they are buying their food with taxpayer dollars?
One other interesting point is that because SNAP is run by the Dept. of Agriculture, one can use the card for food items like cereal and bread, but not paper goods like toilet paper and feminine products. So to your point one can't buy cigarettes and booze, but you could buy all the junk food one wanted, but not toilet paper.
Well said. I think it is really terrible that the general public wants to tell the poor what they can and cannot eat. Kids like cupcakes. Yes, they should be eaten in moderation, but the government can't and shouldn't control every detail of someone's life. The threshold for qualifying and how long benefits can be received should be the focus.
Scooter

Jacksonville, FL

#16 Feb 20, 2012
Ghetto-speak seems to be the new norm in our public schools, too.
Confidant

Macclenny, FL

#17 Feb 21, 2012
I'm not sure how accurate some of the commentary
numbers are. or mine for that matter.

I read an article in the florida times union several years ago and it clearly stated african americans made up 53% of the jacksonville population.

Moultrie, GA

#18 Feb 21, 2012
FLBeaver wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying. I don't begrudge people who are trying to make stuff good for their kids, but I do think that some limitations still need to be set in regards to foodstamp cards. My sister-in-law had two kids that she adopted from the state and in addition to the money that was on her foodstamp card, there was cash assistance. You would think that money would go for bills that needed to be paid or things that the kids NEED not want. She bought a swimming pool, birthday party bouncy houses, and all kinds of unnecessary stuff and neglected the house payment. They got foreclosed on and had to move to a little crappy house and rent it. I'm just saying that some parts of the system are flawed and need to be fixed. You make an excellent point about being able to purchase things like cupcakes or twinkies every now and again, but it is frustrating when you see the same 'young adults' come in and buy a bunch of junk food and then have cash for blunt wraps...and you know they're not going to be wrapped around a tobacco blunt. Thank you for your reply.
so sad

United States

#19 Feb 21, 2012
As long as there are people like you all in the world,ignorance will never die. I joked with my husband,Sunday,about a group of loud mouth teenagers at McDonalds(I don't eat McDonalds,he does but that's another story) Any how,I told him,if those kids were black then people would have something bad to say about their behavior but since they were white it was ok. Society just wants to blame black people for all it's problems but the problem of the world is not race,it's the lack of God in peoples lives. You people who keep pointing the finger at black people are just like when Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit,blaming someone else. All that you complain about,even if legit,I see white people guilty of the same thing but it's only a problem when they are black. Focus on getting your life right with God and you wouldn't have time to worry about who's on food stamps and what they are buying.
Toaster

Saint Augustine, FL

#21 Feb 21, 2012
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying. I don't begrudge people who are trying to make stuff good for their kids, but I do think that some limitations still need to be set in regards to foodstamp cards. My sister-in-law had two kids that she adopted from the state and in addition to the money that was on her foodstamp card, there was cash assistance. You would think that money would go for bills that needed to be paid or things that the kids NEED not want. She bought a swimming pool, birthday party bouncy houses, and all kinds of unnecessary stuff and neglected the house payment. They got foreclosed on and had to move to a little crappy house and rent it. I'm just saying that some parts of the system are flawed and need to be fixed. You make an excellent point about being able to purchase things like cupcakes or twinkies every now and again, but it is frustrating when you see the same 'young adults' come in and buy a bunch of junk food and then have cash for blunt wraps...and you know they're not going to be wrapped around a tobacco blunt. Thank you for your reply.
The govm't should get out of the food stamp. welfare, and housing business. It's each individual's responsibility to pay for their own personal care. If you can't pay your bills you should stop breeding like animals, and the govm't should use a national sterilization program on both illiterate men and women to insure this BS is stopped immediately. Sooner or later this will happen. It should have been stopped 50 years ago. But now this is a main topic in circles of power. The cost of paying for these dead beats
is finally being noticed.

Grand Rapids, MI

#24 Feb 22, 2012
<quoted text>
Funds from WIC or SNAP can't be used to buy toys, pools, clothes, etc. Yes, one can use SNAP to buy $10 worth of cupcakes when they probably should use it to buy $10 worth of apples.

I think the biggest challenge is that we all make bad decisions, but some make a lot more than others. There is a reason why someone spends their life in poverty, needing help and assistance. For the most part, they probably aren't bad people, but in general given the choice between doing what they should do and making another bad decision (like buying a kiddie pool instead of paying the electric bill), they do the wrong thing. And no one, especially the government can't fix stupid.

One change I think could be done is that when a person receives government aid, they automatically have their utility bills, and potentially other bills like car payments and mortgage/rent linked to their account. So if they get $500/month, first their necessities are taken care of. Then they get what's left, which may not be much. I've helped friends and relatives and the first thing I do is pay their utility bills. But I don't give them the money because they will do something stupid with it. They give me their bill and I make the payment directly. That way I know their lights will stay on and they won't use the money to see a movie or go out for drinks.

Overall I think more could be done, but it's a real slippery slope between the government helping someone and dictating how they should live. If we don't want government telling us what to do, that means we have to accept people being able to do stupid things with their aid.

Grand Rapids, MI

#26 Feb 22, 2012
Toaster wrote:
<quoted text>
The govm't should get out of the food stamp. welfare, and housing business. It's each individual's responsibility to pay for their own personal care. If you can't pay your bills you should stop breeding like animals, and the govm't should use a national sterilization program on both illiterate men and women to insure this BS is stopped immediately. Sooner or later this will happen. It should have been stopped 50 years ago. But now this is a main topic in circles of power. The cost of paying for these dead beats
is finally being noticed.
Sig Heil!!(heavy sarcasm)
Amazing Racist

Jacksonville, FL

#27 Feb 22, 2012
kckt wrote:
Probably because she doesn't want to offend the majority of people that are on welfare...and are white, by the way.
Toaster

Saint Augustine, FL

#28 Feb 22, 2012
<quoted text>
That would clearly explain the high crime rate in Jacksonville.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macclenny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Richest Wed Stanley Tookie Wi... 1
News Young Man Shot Dead at Panama Park (Apr '08) Jun 27 duvallll 46
State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval Count... (Mar '08) Jun 25 vortex 9,952
Guadalupe rodriguez,Maria Rodriguez about Marce... Jun 24 8itch 1
News Volusia to get its 1st VyStar branch Jun 23 Richard Move 2
Thinking of moving to McClenny Jun 15 married with chil... 1
Haley (Jul '15) Apr '16 Gossip 13

Macclenny Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macclenny Mortgages