State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval County FL)

Posted in the Macclenny Forum

Comments (Page 496)

Showing posts 9,901 - 9,920 of9,928
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Semper Vigilant

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

Uh oh wrote:
Who cares about the shower. How about destruction of public records and campaign finance violations. How about handing out cushion jobs at salaries higher than the attorneys. That shower is the least of Shirks problems.
How about the use, by Matt and Michelle, of the state vehicle for personal reasons?
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

Semper Vigilant wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the use, by Matt and Michelle, of the state vehicle for personal reasons?
Wasn't that deemed insignificant enough that the authorities declined to investigate that?
umm

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't that deemed insignificant enough that the authorities declined to investigate that?
i had heard he cut the state a check to make up for his misuse. so you may be wrong in your assumption that is was no big deal.
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

umm wrote:
<quoted text>
i had heard he cut the state a check to make up for his misuse. so you may be wrong in your assumption that is was no big deal.
You heard that, but there is no proof of that. It could all be conjecture.
Hitthefan

Yulee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Congratulations to Matt Shirk for NOT making this Sunday's edition of the Times Union.
Truth

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Hitthefan wrote:
Congratulations to Matt Shirk for NOT making this Sunday's edition of the Times Union.
I'm sure he's glad the Matthews Bridge accident took the spotlight.
ahhh

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure he's glad the Matthews Bridge accident took the spotlight.
the week is still young. let's see what happens this week.
trouble

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You heard that, but there is no proof of that. It could all be conjecture.
Spending that campaign cash for his own personal gain isn't conjecture. I'm pretty sure Jessie Jackson Jr. just went to federal prison for that.
Response

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Lawyers for State Attorney Angela Corey say she has “sovereign immunity” and are asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit filed against her in the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case.

Ben Kruidbos, her former information technology director, was fired in June after he testified that prosecutors did not turn over all information to Zimmerman’s defense team in the shooting death of the 17-year-old. Kruidbos said he was a whistleblower and under the law cannot be fired.

The lawsuit says Kruidbos testified in response to a subpoena, and the firing was retaliation for his testimony. He is asking for $5 million in damages and his job back.

In court papers filed this week, Corey’s attorneys say the state attorney cannot be sued because she has sovereign immunity as an elected official.

According to Black’s Law Dictionary, sovereign immunity is the legal doctrine that says the government cannot be sued without its consent. The motion says Corey, a government official, does not consent.

“I think it’s an absurd assertion that she’s above the law,” said attorney Wesley White, who is representing Kruidbos.

Jackelyn Barnard, spokeswoman for Corey, did not respond to a phone call or email for comment.

Kruidbos used computer software technology to extract photographs and text messages from the source file in Martin’s cellphone. He was able to recover more information than the Florida Department of Law Enforcement obtained previously.

Kruidbos said he became concerned that lead prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda might not have turned over his report to defense attorneys.

White then contacted one of Zimmerman’s attorneys and learned the defense had not received the report generated by Kruidbos. The defense did receive the source file from the cellphone and used its own experts to extract data.

Before the trial began, Zimmerman’s attorneys subpoenaed both White and Kruidbos during a pretrial hearing on their motion seeking sanctions against prosecutors.

Circuit Judge Debra Nelson deferred a decision on whether to sanction the prosecution and still hasn’t made a ruling.

The letter firing Kruidbos said he did a poor job overseeing the information technology department, violated public records law for retaining documents and noted he was questioned in March when the office was trying to determine who had leaked personnel information obtained through a computer breach.

It also said Kruidbos was not a lawyer and didn’t have the right to question the ethics and professionalism of the attorneys prosecuting the case.

The Florida Commission on Human Relations has also launched a whistleblower investigation into Kruidbos’ allegations.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013-10-03...
Mayhem

Green Cove Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Sad Day, both offices under question. I wish the voters knew.
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

trouble wrote:
<quoted text>
Spending that campaign cash for his own personal gain isn't conjecture. I'm pretty sure Jessie Jackson Jr. just went to federal prison for that.
I'm pretty sure the facts of each case aren't identical, so one shouldn't expect the exact same outcome.
Ernie

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

http://mayportmirror.jacksonville.com/news/pr...

Public Defender Matt Shirk exchanged dozens of text messages with a former female employee whom his wife confronted because of inappropriate text messages, according to Shirk’s cellphone records.

Shirk has acknowledged that he exchanged text messages with former employee Tiffany Ice, and has admitted some of those messages were inappropriate, but he hasn’t been willing to go into detail about the messages.

The records provide some detail about the exchanges between Ice and Shirk. The documents show the dates and times a text was sent or received by Shirk.

The heavily redacted documents show that from early May to early June, Shirk exchanged 52 text messages with the phone number belonging to Ice, then the Public Defender’s data-entry operator.

The redactions, which sometimes include an entire day’s worth of exchanges and the dates of those exchanges, were made by Matt Shirk without the input of Rogers Towers Law Firm, which was tapped by Shirk to help the Public Defender’s Office fulfill records requests on a pro-bono basis.

The messages between Shirk and Ice that are visible on the documents were sent on weekdays during typical work hours.

The redacted documents do not show any text messages exchanged between Shirk and the cellphone number belonging to Kayle Chester. Chester is a former legal assistant at the office and former employee of the Whisky River nightclub. She and Shirk were perceived by some in the office to have an unusually close relationship.

Chester, Ice and a third woman who is a friend of Chester’s and also was an employee of Whisky River were all fired in June from the Public Defender’s Office after Shirk’s wife confronted Ice in the office.

The Times-Union asked Matt Shirk and Public Defender’s Office spokesman Matt Bisbee whether Shirk redacted any information from his phone records showing communication with Ice, Chester or any other subordinate.

Neither Shirk nor Bisbee responded. A statement by the office said the redactions “were private, personal communications.”

The content of the messages between Ice and Shirk are unknown.

Shirk has admitted sending his subordinates, including Ice, inappropriate text messages. He wouldn’t go into detail about the nature of the messages but said he sent Ice “funny e-cards.” Michelle Shirk wouldn’t go into detail, but she told the Times-Union the messages were more than just e-cards.

What was contained in those text messages prompted Shirk’s wife to visit the Public Defender’s Office in June and confront Ice about Ice’s relationship with Shirk.

Shortly after Michelle Shirk’s confrontation with Ice, Chester, Ice and the third woman were fired.

Ice’s personnel file shows she was placed on a 30-day improvement plan in November 2012, at the end of her first 90 days, for errors in her work. She was recommended to be retained in January. The personnel file provided to the Times-Union shows no further complaints about her work until June. Ice’s June 25 termination letter said she was fired for continued errors.

Ice’s attorney, Bill Sheppard, had scheduled a “name-clearing hearing” for Ice last week at the Public Defender’s Office. But the hearing was canceled because Sheppard didn’t like the proposed structure of the hearing.

Sheppard instead sent a letter stating that the Public Defender’s Office’s termination for Ice was incorrect and false in several areas. Sheppard wrote that Ice wasn’t written up for any mistakes while at the office.

The letter acknowledges that Ice made some mistakes early in her employment, but it said that’s because Ice received less training than her predecessor.

On Aug. 29, Gov. Rick Scott appointed special prosecutor Bill Cervone to investigate Shirk’s office.
In the Know

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Let us not forget Shirk's well known acts of infidelity. I wonder if Michelle is aware of the number of times she has been cheated on?
payback is a biatch

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

In the Know wrote:
Let us not forget Shirk's well known acts of infidelity. I wonder if Michelle is aware of the number of times she has been cheated on?
She should be well aware of his infidelity since he was cheating WITH her on his first wife. Why wouldn't she think that if he cheated WITH her, he might cheat ON her?

He's a spineless twit who let go of some great people who happened to be great defenders and I hope he's buried under this muck and mire for eternity.
In the Know

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

Makes you wonder why he was seen at Logan International in the spring of 2012. He sure gets around.
True

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

In the Know wrote:
Is having an affair a criminal offense? If so, there isn't enough room in prison to house every guilty person. Probably including you.
Anthony Shirk

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

In the Know wrote:
Makes you wonder why he was seen at Logan International in the spring of 2012. He sure gets around.
Please elaborate. You say you know of acts of infidelity and now saying you've seen him at a Boston airport. Give details rather than hide behind baseless claims.
Parking spot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

Mayhem wrote:
Sad Day, both offices under question. I wish the voters knew.
I wonder what your thoughts were about A.L.
Kelly since you were fired for parking in his spot? You hate Shirk so much and I know you hated Kelly too. Would be nice to hear your thoughts
Mayhem

Green Cove Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

I had worked for the office three years, never called out sick. I had a month's worth of leave banked up. I was running late on a Friday before a holiday. I was released because I parked in a spot of someone who was off for the holiday. At the time, I was very angry. I also had some family things that came up at the same time. Hind sight, It was the best thing that ever happened. I have moved on. I feel bad for those that work hard in that office and have to explain the actions of others.

I do find it suspect that Suddenly Mr. Kelly feels bad for these three girls. He has been the hatchet man for Mr. Shirk for a while.

I am a strong believer in Karma. I think Mr. Shirk is getting what is owned him.
In the Know

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Judged:

Anthony Shirk wrote:
<quoted text>
Please elaborate. You say you know of acts of infidelity and now saying you've seen him at a Boston airport. Give details rather than hide behind baseless claims.
I made no mention of seeing him but know somebody who did. Why do you think was he there, "Anthony"?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,901 - 9,920 of9,928
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Macclenny Discussions

Search the Macclenny Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Holders Bantu spew 4 hr noshellswill 1
Chris Arwine 8 hr Who cares 2
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 10 hr number 23 2,915
POLITICO pimping faghgboi grift ... 14 hr noshellswill 1
Review: Alpha Tree Surgery 18 hr Wanda G 1
Obama.nation traitorous Bantu sluttt 21 hr noshellswill 1
Arrestan a pareja por tener sexo dentro de iglesia (Mar '08) Sat Miguel 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Macclenny Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••