Evolution Debate Fuels North Florida Ire

Jan 25, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Ledger

“Anybody with half a brain can see that natural selection takes place”

A growing number of North Florida superintendents and school boards are objecting to the state's proposed new science standards, saying the standards give too much credence to evolution and leave no room for ... via The Ledger

Comments (Page 8)

Showing posts 141 - 144 of144
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

Katydid wrote:
<quoted text>
That may very well be, but read Bunting's article again from the UK, particularly the quote by Ruse (an agnostic):
"Michael Ruse, a prominent Darwinian philosopher (and an agnostic) based in the US, with a string of books on the subject, is exasperated:'Dawkins and Dennett are really dangerous, both at a moral and a legal level.' The nub of Ruse's argument is that Darwinism does not lead ineluctably to atheism, and to claim that it does (as Dawkins does) provides the intelligent-design lobby with a legal loophole:'If Darwinism equals atheism then it can't be taught in US schools because of the constitutional separation of church and state. It gives the creationists a legal case. Dawkins and Dennett are handing these people a major tool.'
Evolution is losing the battle, says Ruse, and it's the fault of Dawkins and Dennett with their aggressive atheism: they are the creationists' best recruiting sergeants."
If people of faith are led to believe that the acceptance of evolution means that they are giving up their belief in God, what do you think that they will do?
This is why prominent scientists like Collins and Ken Miller have been working so hard to teach people the concepts of theistic evolution, to show people that they are able to reconcile their faith with reason.
Speaking as a theistic evolutionist, this is a great post, thank you.

“Ex nihilo nihil fit”

Since: Mar 07

Middle America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2008

Matt from Akron wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking as a theistic evolutionist, this is a great post, thank you.
I would have to agree.

“Transitional Molecular Fossils”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere in Penn's Woods

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Forum Cruiser wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to agree.
Thank you both.

Cruise, I have another recommendation for you, it has been highly recommended to me, and is scheduled for release in April:

"Human Origins: What Bones And Genomes Tell Us About Ourselves" (Texas A&m University Anthropology)(Hardcover)
by Rob Desalle (Author), Ian Tattersall (Author)

About the Authors:

ROB DESALLE is co-director of the Molecular Systematics Laboratories and curator in the Division of Invertebrate Zoology, and IAN TATTERSALL is curator in the Division of Anthropology, both at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.

Editorial Review ( Amazon.com ):

QUOTE:

In 'Human Origins: What Bones and Genomes Tell Us about Ourselves', two of the world’s foremost scientists, geneticist Rob DeSalle and paleoanthropologist Ian Tattersall, show how research into the human genome confirms what fossil bones have told us about human origins. This unprecedented integration of the fossil and genomic records provides the most complete understanding possible of humanity’s place in nature, its emergence from the rest of the living world, and the evolutionary processes that have molded human populations to be what they are today.

UNQUOTE

Also recommended to me and scheduled for release on April 15:

"Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins" (Hardcover)
by Maddalena Bearzi (Author), Craig B. Stanford (Author)

Apes and dolphins: primates and cetaceans. Could any creatures appear to be more different? Yet both are large-brained intelligent mammals with complex communication and social interaction. In the first book to study apes and dolphins side by side, Maddalena Bearzi and Craig B. Stanford, a dolphin biologist and a primatologist who have spent their careers studying these animals in the wild, combine their insights with compelling results. Beautiful Minds explains how and why apes and dolphins are so distantly related yet so cognitively alike and what this teaches us about another large-brained mammal: Homo sapiens.
Noting that apes and dolphins have had no common ancestor in nearly 100 million years, Bearzi and Stanford describe the parallel evolution that gave rise to their intelligence. And they closely observe that intelligence in action, in the territorial grassland and rainforest communities of chimpanzees and other apes, and in groups of dolphins moving freely through open coastal waters. The authors detail their subjects’ ability to develop family bonds, form alliances, and care for their young. They offer an understanding of their culture, politics, social structure, personality, and capacity for emotion. The resulting dual portrait—with striking overlaps in behavior—is key to understanding the nature of “beautiful minds.”

UNQUOTE

“Ex nihilo nihil fit”

Since: Mar 07

Middle America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Katydid wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you both.
Cruise, I have another recommendation for you, it has been highly recommended to me, and is scheduled for release in April:
"Human Origins: What Bones And Genomes Tell Us About Ourselves" (Texas A&m University Anthropology)(Hardcover)
by Rob Desalle (Author), Ian Tattersall (Author)
About the Authors:
ROB DESALLE is co-director of the Molecular Systematics Laboratories and curator in the Division of Invertebrate Zoology, and IAN TATTERSALL is curator in the Division of Anthropology, both at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
QUOTE:
In 'Human Origins: What Bones and Genomes Tell Us about Ourselves', two of the world’s foremost scientists, geneticist Rob DeSalle and paleoanthropologist Ian Tattersall, show how research into the human genome confirms what fossil bones have told us about human origins. This unprecedented integration of the fossil and genomic records provides the most complete understanding possible of humanity’s place in nature, its emergence from the rest of the living world, and the evolutionary processes that have molded human populations to be what they are today.
UNQUOTE
Also recommended to me and scheduled for release on April 15:
"Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins" (Hardcover)
by Maddalena Bearzi (Author), Craig B. Stanford (Author)
Apes and dolphins: primates and cetaceans. Could any creatures appear to be more different? Yet both are large-brained intelligent mammals with complex communication and social interaction. In the first book to study apes and dolphins side by side, Maddalena Bearzi and Craig B. Stanford, a dolphin biologist and a primatologist who have spent their careers studying these animals in the wild, combine their insights with compelling results. Beautiful Minds explains how and why apes and dolphins are so distantly related yet so cognitively alike and what this teaches us about another large-brained mammal: Homo sapiens.
Noting that apes and dolphins have had no common ancestor in nearly 100 million years, Bearzi and Stanford describe the parallel evolution that gave rise to their intelligence. And they closely observe that intelligence in action, in the territorial grassland and rainforest communities of chimpanzees and other apes, and in groups of dolphins moving freely through open coastal waters. The authors detail their subjects’ ability to develop family bonds, form alliances, and care for their young. They offer an understanding of their culture, politics, social structure, personality, and capacity for emotion. The resulting dual portrait—with striking overlaps in behavior—is key to understanding the nature of “beautiful minds.”
UNQUOTE
Thank you, this would keep me busy for a while.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 141 - 144 of144
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Macclenny Discussions

Search the Macclenny Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 2 hr Putnam County Voter 2,381
Obama.nation pimps ghetto values 3 hr noshellswill 1
City of Jacksonville facing contempt charges ov... 4 hr joe 1
Review: First Coast MD (Aug '09) 4 hr khaleedah thomas 57
Obama, GOP lawmakers place blame on Putin 5 hr noshellswill 7
State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval Count... (Mar '08) Mon Curious 9,930
Iron Order mc Sun dawgy47 10
•••
•••
•••
Macclenny Dating

more search filters

less search filters