Evolution Debate Fuels North Florida Ire

Evolution Debate Fuels North Florida Ire

There are 144 comments on the The Ledger story from Jan 25, 2008, titled Evolution Debate Fuels North Florida Ire. In it, The Ledger reports that:

“Anybody with half a brain can see that natural selection takes place”

A growing number of North Florida superintendents and school boards are objecting to the state's proposed new science standards, saying the standards give too much credence to evolution and leave no room for ... via The Ledger

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Ledger.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Gary

AOL

#1 Jan 25, 2008
Yea! continue to deny science and remain forever backward. Religious dogma will put food on your table and enable your kids to achieve a better quality of life. Be dumb, be brain dead...Alleluia! Every notice how the so called red states or areas that vote heavily republican are usually poor and not well educated...areas where Walmart dominate the landscape. Deny science and you deny yourselves a future.
Spit Ball

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Jan 26, 2008
Gary wrote:
Yea! continue to deny science and remain forever backward. Religious dogma will put food on your table and enable your kids to achieve a better quality of life. Be dumb, be brain dead...Alleluia! Every notice how the so called red states or areas that vote heavily republican are usually poor and not well educated...areas where Walmart dominate the landscape. Deny science and you deny yourselves a future.
What an fool, you can't have one without the other. To do so results in self destruction. No one is absolutely wrong or right. Specific instances of evolution has already been disproven.

Most intelligent statement I ever heard right here at Sandia Labs: Science can give us the trigger, humanity & morals decide whether ot not the trigger should be pulled.
Spit Ball

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jan 26, 2008
Gary wrote:
Just as a side note, the local Rio Rancho Schools decided to go evolution only this last December. Their attendence has fallen off 30%, local charter schools are surging in attendence, and the local school board is panicking as they are losing funding from various sources. Might want to learn from the mistakes of others..........
Spit Ball

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Jan 26, 2008
Gary wrote:
Every notice how the so called red states or areas that vote heavily republican are usually poor and not well educated...areas where Walmart dominate the landscape.
Want to see your state destroyed from the inside out. Look here at New Mexico and what is happening since Bill (Legend in his own mind) Richardson has returned from his failed presidential bid.
Gillette

Rose Hill, IA

#5 Jan 26, 2008
>>>>>Spit Ball
Specific instances of evolution has already been disproven.

>>Gillette
Can you give us a specific example of what you mean by this, preferably with a web link?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#6 Jan 26, 2008
Spit Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
What an fool, you can't have one without the other. To do so results in self destruction. No one is absolutely wrong or right. Specific instances of evolution has already been disproven.
Most intelligent statement I ever heard right here at Sandia Labs: Science can give us the trigger, humanity & morals decide whether ot not the trigger should be pulled.
I will point out that your quote says "humanity", not "religion".

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jan 26, 2008
I see even the "educators" in Florida don't know what the definition of a scientific theory is. In the article they make the same juvenile debating mistakes that scientifically ignorant idiots here on Topix do when they argue for ID or creationism. No wonder these Florida boobs have such a hard time counting votes. Pandering to the far right is not the way to teach science.
Sown Oats

United States

#8 Jan 26, 2008
To both sides I say, "prove it".

Urbana, Illinois

#9 Jan 26, 2008
Spit Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as a side note, the local Rio Rancho Schools decided to go evolution only this last December. Their attendence has fallen off 30%, local charter schools are surging in attendence, and the local school board is panicking as they are losing funding from various sources. Might want to learn from the mistakes of others..........
What else CAN they teach??? There's no evidence for anything else. Science is science...

Everything else goes into philosophy or a religion class, etc...

Urbana, Illinois

#10 Jan 26, 2008
Spit Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
Specific instances of evolution has already been disproven.
Ok.... I want to hear this one! What specific instances were disproven???

#11 Jan 26, 2008
Spit Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to see your state destroyed from the inside out. Look here at New Mexico and what is happening since Bill (Legend in his own mind) Richardson has returned from his failed presidential bid.
So you would prefer your school board to be sued and stuck with a million dollar legal fee like the Dover school board? AND be forced by the courts to do what they are doing voluntarily?

The court decision in Dover was very clear...ID and creationism are religion and have no place in the science classroom.

Biotechnologies will be one of the biggest growth industries of this century, and the theory of evolution is central to biotechnology.
Pucker Factor

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Jan 27, 2008
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I will point out that your quote says "humanity", not "religion".
It's one and the same. One is written the other is not>
Pucker Factor

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Jan 27, 2008
Matt from Akron wrote:
I see even the "educators" in Florida don't know what the definition of a scientific theory is. In the article they make the same juvenile debating mistakes that scientifically ignorant idiots here on Topix do when they argue for ID or creationism. No wonder these Florida boobs have such a hard time counting votes. Pandering to the far right is not the way to teach science.
Nor is pandering to the far left.
Pucker Factor

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Jan 27, 2008
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So you would prefer your school board to be sued and stuck with a million dollar legal fee like the Dover school board? AND be forced by the courts to do what they are doing voluntarily?
The court decision in Dover was very clear...ID and creationism are religion and have no place in the science classroom.
Biotechnologies will be one of the biggest growth industries of this century, and the theory of evolution is central to biotechnology.
Let's cut to the chase here. What's wrong with the presentation of both side here?

True science is the prsentation al all applicable evidence AND THEORY. Anything else is an agenda. Does concensus standards really mean anything? No, they have been disproven, modified and rewritten on numerous occasions throughout history.

Lets take Lowe's observations of Mars just for example. In their day they were taken as gospel scientific proof of intelligent habitation.
Pucker Factor

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Jan 27, 2008
FossilBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.... I want to hear this one! What specific instances were disproven???
Have we not been following our professional journals all these years? Or just being specific in our reading habits? Start with cellular matriculation and work up from there.
Pucker Factor

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jan 27, 2008
Gang it's been a slice, gotta' gotta go blow something up at NM Tech to test a theory.

Yep, they pay me to play with explosives. I love my life.

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jan 27, 2008
Pucker Factor wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor is pandering to the far left.
You are correct. Science education should only pander to science. Not a political ideology, or a theological one.

Urbana, Illinois

#19 Jan 27, 2008
Pucker Factor wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's cut to the chase here. What's wrong with the presentation of both side here?
True science is the prsentation al all applicable evidence AND THEORY.
"Theory" requires EVIDENCE... I haven't seen any evidence for "young Earth creation" or "ID".

Urbana, Illinois

#20 Jan 27, 2008
Pucker Factor wrote:
<quoted text>
Have we not been following our professional journals all these years? Or just being specific in our reading habits? Start with cellular matriculation and work up from there.
So you have no specific point to make...

#21 Jan 27, 2008
Pucker Factor wrote:
<quoted text>
It's one and the same. One is written the other is not>
Bull. All "humanity" requires is empathy for ones fellow man. Religion requires a belief in the supernatural, and often requires intolerance of one's fellow man. They are not the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macclenny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Young Man Shot Dead at Panama Park (Apr '08) 1 hr duvallll 46
State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval Count... (Mar '08) Sat vortex 9,952
Guadalupe rodriguez,Maria Rodriguez about Marce... Jun 24 8itch 1
News Volusia to get its 1st VyStar branch Jun 23 Richard Move 2
I am interested in Buying -- Diabetic Test Stri... (Oct '08) Jun 23 Lyndsey 3
black men white women (Aug '11) Jun 23 Adventurous couple 40
Does anyone know Joan and Debra Jun 21 Tried 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macclenny Mortgages