Georgia - Inmates Complain of Treatme...

Georgia - Inmates Complain of Treatment at Clayton County Jail

There are 52 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Oct 31, 2007, titled Georgia - Inmates Complain of Treatment at Clayton County Jail. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

JONESBORO, GA -- Inmates at the Clayton County Jail have complained that when Sheriff Victor Hill walks through the jail they have to stop what they're doing, turn away from him and stand at attention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
what is going on

Cartersville, GA

#1 Nov 5, 2007
where is the case information in the news on the inmate that was beaten to death, by two guards. guards still working at the jail and one is even a sargeant now. jewel scott supposed to have investigated? mother dropped charges against the department in exchange for her sons release and he died.
whats going on comment

Cartersville, GA

#2 Nov 5, 2007
comment on what going on with reference to murder in the jail by to guards, clayton county jail.

guards still their. isnt this news.

“How Do You Avoid Apathy? ”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3 Nov 5, 2007
"The inmates contend detention officers do not wear name tags, making it impossible for inmates to identify them if they want to file a grievance. They say inmates are allowed to address only unranked officers, that the food is bad, and that new inmates are not screened for illnesses or disease."

This is horrible that there are people actually advocating these criminals. What about our troops in Iraq??? I can tell you from experience that the food is not that great and the sleeping quarters are probably worse than in jail. Some troops do not even get to shower for days. Yet, people are actually listening to this crap. This is a waste of tax dollars and government time.

Hey, if someone dies or is raped by a corrections officer, ONLY then should an investigation proceed.

This is depressing...these are criminals. "In-humane"....my ass (for lack of better terminology).
KAREN

Atlanta, GA

#4 Nov 29, 2007
i KNOW THIS TO BE TURE AS i SAW THIS FIRST HAND WHEN i WAS THERE DOING MISSIN WORK AMONG THE INMATES, I WAS SHOCKED, THEY MUST TURN TO THE WALL, CROSS THEIR HANDS BEHIND THEM AND LOOK DOWN AT FLOOR. HE AIN'T GOD!
KAREN

Atlanta, GA

#5 Nov 29, 2007
I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE AS I SAW THIS FIRST HAND WHEN I WAS THERE DOING MISSION WORK AMONG THE INMATES, I WAS REAL SHOCKED, THEY MUST TURN TO THE WALL, CROSS HANDS BEHIND THE, LOOK DOWN TO FLOOR. HE IS NOT GOD TO REQUIRE SUCH SUBMISSIVENESS...... SAW IT MYSELF.............
RONIN

Saint Augustine, FL

#6 Nov 29, 2007
I've been to jail and war. Those turds in jail have it alot better than our militay so SHUT UP and do your time. If they want to be treated with respect I would, if they can explain what kind of respect were they showing others when the commited the (alledged)crimes.
Yuck

Orange Park, FL

#7 Nov 29, 2007
Poor Babies! Can't do the time? Don't do the crime. No Sheriff Hill is not God, but he is their better. Sounds like demanding respect is what standing at attention is about, although I'm not real sure why they're turned away.
Richard

Forest Park, GA

#8 Jan 17, 2008
I am so glad to know that you are a perfect person never done anything wrong. I didn't read anywhere in the comments that they shouldn't do there time.the conversation is about how they are treated.If they were harden crimnals they wouldn't be in the county jail they would be in prison we are talking about people that need rehab not humilation I'm sure that there is sombody in your family or maybe a friend that has a drug problem or alcohol problem.It might even be you but I wonder if you would be saying the same thing. always remember those without sin let them cast the first stone.

“Who lied to you?!?!”

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville

#9 Jan 17, 2008
UHMMMM, excuse me, but if you are in jail, no matter the charges, you only have the absolute basic of civil rights. If the inmates don't "appreciate" the way they are being treated, then maybe this could serve as a lesson to them to straighten up and not get sent back to jail. I say that the sheriff is doing a good job of treating them like that and the inmates don't have the right to complain. Why must people try to pitty the criminals?
Linda Rohrer Paige

Statesboro, GA

#10 Feb 6, 2008
I've watched my student who has served already 8 years, mainly in the jails and the prison in GA. She is innocent of the charge of pre-meditated murder, yet for two years now, awaiting her new trial (the original verdict overturned by the Georgia Supreme Court), she is kept in a jail, which is doing renovations, and she has not seen the outside sunshine, nor felt the wind or rain, or even breathed a fresh breath of air for two years. I think that we need to remember that there should be basic civil and human rights for everyone, including prisoners. This woman doesn't deserve to have had her health issues ignored. Every living thing deserves to see the sun sometime.
lllll

Charlotte, NC

#11 Feb 6, 2008
Richard wrote:
I am so glad to know that you are a perfect person never done anything wrong. I didn't read anywhere in the comments that they shouldn't do there time.the conversation is about how they are treated.If they were harden crimnals they wouldn't be in the county jail they would be in prison we are talking about people that need rehab not humilation I'm sure that there is sombody in your family or maybe a friend that has a drug problem or alcohol problem.It might even be you but I wonder if you would be saying the same thing. always remember those without sin let them cast the first stone.
Actually the criminals are housed in county jail until either they serve their time which is under a year or they are sent to a prison for terms over a year. So harden criminals they may be, they just haven't been sentenced yet. Remember all the murderers and baby rapers go to county first. If these guys had learned respect before maybe they wouldn't be in trouble now.

“its a plane, its a plane”

Since: Dec 07

jax for now

#12 Feb 6, 2008
Linda Rohrer Paige wrote:
I've watched my student who has served already 8 years, mainly in the jails and the prison in GA. She is innocent of the charge of pre-meditated murder, yet for two years now, awaiting her new trial (the original verdict overturned by the Georgia Supreme Court), she is kept in a jail, which is doing renovations, and she has not seen the outside sunshine, nor felt the wind or rain, or even breathed a fresh breath of air for two years. I think that we need to remember that there should be basic civil and human rights for everyone, including prisoners. This woman doesn't deserve to have had her health issues ignored. Every living thing deserves to see the sun sometime.
yes agreed maybe thats how the family of the dead person feels.......
miss fire

Riverdale, GA

#13 Dec 21, 2008
i got stopped in front of my complex i was treated like trash and taken to jail in clayton county never read my rights,when i asked why was i stopped i was told i hit a refecter light as i was turning in my drive way.I said to the officers you followed me four six blocks i saw you in my mirror why arrest me in front of my home,i passed the feild soberiety test and the officer looked mad he came back with the breath test.I took it and he walked away to talk to the other officer she came back and toid me to put my hands behind my back and she put me in the car i was not drunk i get of work at 4am every day i felt helpless
pastor Dianne

United States

#14 Jan 25, 2009
Some of you gave some of the most evil comments. Just shows youall don't read your BIBLE,and you don't have your salvation. oh yes the righteous can judge. you waste up somuch idle time, when youall should be praying for these people. How dare you speak somuch evil. I REBUKE EVERYONE OF YOU THAT SPOKE EVIL OF THOSE INMATES. There is life and death in the power of the tongue. And you all are speaking curses that will visit you and your familys for four generations.you need to repent and pray, and don't give no grounds to satan. GOD is not pleased with youall. What if he had felt that way about coming to save youall, but he did'nt. GOD do'snt need any of your help to straighten any one out.start praying for these people and watch the crime rates go down. and remember touch not GOD anointed and do his prophets no harm. Sign pastor dianne.

“its a plane, its a plane”

Since: Dec 07

jax for now

#15 Jan 25, 2009
pastor Dianne wrote:
Some of you gave some of the most evil comments. Just shows youall don't read your BIBLE,and you don't have your salvation. oh yes the righteous can judge. you waste up somuch idle time, when youall should be praying for these people. How dare you speak somuch evil. I REBUKE EVERYONE OF YOU THAT SPOKE EVIL OF THOSE INMATES. There is life and death in the power of the tongue. And you all are speaking curses that will visit you and your familys for four generations.you need to repent and pray, and don't give no grounds to satan. GOD is not pleased with youall. What if he had felt that way about coming to save youall, but he did'nt. GOD do'snt need any of your help to straighten any one out.start praying for these people and watch the crime rates go down. and remember touch not GOD anointed and do his prophets no harm. Sign pastor dianne.
and you are the reason that people are leaving the churches in DROVES..........for some one that is meant to be of the cloth you are mighty quick to hand out a punishment that ONLY god can do..........so in effect bite me !!!

Since: Jan 09

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jan 25, 2009
I will say this Georgia has always had their own set of Rules to rule by........
Small towns seem to govern that way,..and then it seems to become State Wide. One thing for sure....Don't Mess Around in Georgia,..if,..you are not born & breed there,..for you will surely suffer the wrath of Some Sheriff in some County,..that will make you think twice about "messin' around in the Peach State"!
They tend to make you think twice about those fuzzy peachy lil towns.
Eric

Conyers, GA

#17 Jun 21, 2009
What is wrong with you people? Good people make mistakes and get taken to jail all the time. I am waiting on a phone call from the jail now, from my girlfriend who got pulled over, and she was taken to jail for not having her liscence. We moved here from out of state about 6 months ago, and she misplaced her liscense. We have not bothered to get a replacement, because it is not a big deal...or so we thought. She went to jail for 1.) not transferring her liscense after we moved here, and for not having it on her person. I do not have the 1350.00 to get her out, and a bail bondsman wont help because she does not have her picture ID. She is a law-abiding, sweet christian woman, and SHE IS IN JAIL. You people who are so quick to look down your nose and pass judgement on all us little people should really take a good look at your self, and try to figure out how somebody was able to sneak up on you and shove a stick that far up your butt! Nobody is below common courtesy, and respect. No one person is worth more or less than any other person. And as for you, ThaManJimmy, I did my time in the Gulf too, but i sure didnt whine about it. I did my job, and thanked God that I was alive at night in my rack. You must have been Admin or something. Quit bein a baby! "Oh, why is my rack so hard? Why am I here? Why do inmates not get tortured to satisfy my sadistic inclinations, and make me feel like I have it better than them?" C'mon, show me some tears, cry-baby.
lissa

Atlanta, GA

#18 Mar 31, 2010
okay,, yall who talking about these inmates not being able to do the time && things like this...yall must not know what clayco is like. You dont even have to do anything in clayton county to go to jail. some of yall dont realize just how corrupt clayton county police are. however I know firsthand that they corrupt because I've watched them take my family members && some of my friends 2 jail for doing nothing. not only take them to jail,, but beat them for no reason before they took them to jail. so basically what I have to say is,, what victor hill was doing wasnt right...he doesn't deserve that type of praise,, imean for gods sake...da first day he got the job he fired 14 people && then put snipers on the roof to keep them from coming back...WHO DOES THAT? you dont even have to do that to be able to pray to god...so what gives him the right to make inmates do that like he's some kind of god. They are humans just like him && he is no better than ANY of them. some of yall need to come to clayco & see what its like before you start talking out the side of your neck...real talk.
lissa

Atlanta, GA

#19 Mar 31, 2010
not only that but when isay that they took my mom & my step dad to jail for nothing. imean they took them to jail for NOTHING. on top of that they decided they wanted to taze my moms in the back of a car when she had handcuffs on && couldnt do SHIT.
they tazed my step dad who's in a wheel chair 8 times until he passed out in the road...like really??? the man in a wheel chair && you do that. it dont make no sense man...its so ridiculous.
Truth

AOL

#20 Mar 31, 2010
there's always a reason for going to jail. don't do it, and you will stay out of jail....plain and simple

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macclenny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Richest Wed Stanley Tookie Wi... 1
News Young Man Shot Dead at Panama Park (Apr '08) Jun 27 duvallll 46
State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval Count... (Mar '08) Jun 25 vortex 9,952
Guadalupe rodriguez,Maria Rodriguez about Marce... Jun 24 8itch 1
News Volusia to get its 1st VyStar branch Jun 23 Richard Move 2
Thinking of moving to McClenny Jun 15 married with chil... 1
Haley (Jul '15) Apr '16 Gossip 13

Macclenny Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Macclenny Mortgages