First Wind offers plan for second Mau...

First Wind offers plan for second Maui site - Hawaii Business

There are 6 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 9, 2009, titled First Wind offers plan for second Maui site - Hawaii Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Newton, Mass.-based First Wind is planning a second wind farm on the slopes of Kaheawa in the West Maui Mountains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Wiegand

Chico, CA

#1 Dec 9, 2009
The Ugly Truth About the " New Safer Prop Wind Turbines" - A must See Video...When it comes to industrial wind energy full disclosure has been a major problem. All across North America the wind industry has had a field day dealing with the ignorance of community planners. Each community should do their homework. Why would anyone want to buy a car that gets 5 mpg and then have to drive it 25 years. That is what a lease with the archaic prop wind turbine is all about. Each community needs to invest in the new wind turbine designs. You will receive far more electricity with the new designs and in the process not slaughter protected birds. I am an expert on Birds of Prey. For all the green energy believers out there, there is a video you have to see.
Please check out the YOUTUBE video - fatal accident with a vulture on a windmill, to see an eyewitness account of what is happening to millions of birds across the world each year. Most of the dead are protected species and many are rare or endangered. The prop turbine seen in this video is not even spinning at full speed. It is spinning at just 12 rotations per minute. At full speed it will spin at 20 rotations per minute making this wind turbine even more dangerous to anything that happens to fly by.
Each year across America thousands of eagles, hawks, owls, falcons, vultures and condors perish at green energy wind farms. This video will open your eyes and your mind when you see how easily a soaring vulture is smashed by the innocent looking blades of a prop wind turbine. Most prop wind turbines have blade tips speeds of approximately 200 mph. This video illustrates why all birds and bats do not have a chance near the spinning blades of a prop turbine. There has been a wind industry cover-up about the bird mortality problem for decades. Most wind farms have very high security so images like this can not be seen.
Today in America there are approx 30,000 prop turbines. If the prop turbine industry has their way there will over 300,000 of these mass killers in the US in years to come. We are facing the extinction of many species of birds across the world. The first to go will probably be the Red Kite in Italy. They have almost disappeared because of collisions with prop wind turbines. Do plenty of research before signing a 20-30 year lease with the prop turbine peddlers that will end up being be a death sentence for the birds in your community.

The public is not aware that there are alternative wind turbine designs available that do not slaughter our precious wildlife and also produce much more energy. One of them is produced by Environmental Technologies LLC. If the corrupt entities of Wall Street, Washington, and our courts were not protecting this industry, this terrible problem would have already been resolved.
It is time that the world started paying attention to the future planned for us by the titans of industry. Prop turbines are all about functional obsolescence, planned obsolescence, and most of all greed. The outdated technology of the prop wind turbine needs to be exposed for the fraud it represents to the green energy movement.
fatal accident with vulture on a windmill
&fe ature=autofb
Wiegand

Chico, CA

#2 Dec 9, 2009
When it comes to industrial wind energy full disclosure has been a major problem. All across North America the wind industry has had a field day dealing with the ignorance of community planners. Each community should do their homework. Why would anyone want to buy a car that gets 5 mpg and then have to drive it 25 years. That is what a lease with the archaic prop wind turbine is all about. Each community needs to invest in the new wind turbine designs. You will receive far more electricity with the new designs and in the process not slaughter protected birds. I am an expert on Birds of Prey. For all the green energy believers out there, there is a video you have to see.
Please check out the YOUTUBE video - fatal accident with a vulture on a windmill, to see an eyewitness account of what is happening to millions of birds across the world each year. Most of the dead are protected species and many are rare or endangered. The prop turbine seen in this video is not even spinning at full speed. It is spinning at just 12 rotations per minute. At full speed it will spin at 20 rotations per minute making this wind turbine even more dangerous to anything that happens to fly by.
Each year across America thousands of eagles, hawks, owls, falcons, vultures and condors perish at green energy wind farms. This video will open your eyes and your mind when you see how easily a soaring vulture is smashed by the innocent looking blades of a prop wind turbine. Most prop wind turbines have blade tips speeds of approximately 200 mph. This video illustrates why all birds and bats do not have a chance near the spinning blades of a prop turbine. There has been a wind industry cover-up about the bird mortality problem for decades. Most wind farms have very high security so images like this can not be seen.
Today in America there are approx 30,000 prop turbines. If the prop turbine industry has their way there will over 300,000 of these mass killers in the US in years to come. We are facing the extinction of many species of birds across the world. The first to go will probably be the Red Kite in Italy. They have almost disappeared because of collisions with prop wind turbinesOver 25 Years ago at Altamont Pass, the wind industry was confronted with an astounding number of bird kills from their prop turbines. Instead of engineering non prop wind turbine designs that would eliminate bird kills, they chose a path of corruption, cover-up, and deception. Ignoring the kills, thousands more prop turbines were installed and the public was led to believe that Altamont Pass was just an aberration. Today the killer prop turbine design is still being sold in a larger design that we are told is much safer. The YouTube video shows the world just how safe the new design is.
The public is not aware that there are alternative wind turbine designs available that do not slaughter our precious wildlife and also produce much more energy. One of them is produced by Environmental Technologies LLC. If the corrupt entities of Wall Street, Washington, and our courts were not protecting this industry, this terrible problem would have already been resolved.
It is time that the world started paying attention to the future planned for us by the titans of industry. Prop turbines are all about functional obsolescence, planned obsolescence, and most of all greed. The outdated technology of the prop wind turbine needs to be exposed for the fraud it represents to the green energy movement.
Jojo

Maunaloa, HI

#3 Dec 9, 2009
I have had a wind turbine for almost two years here in Hawaii - Never have I found a dead bird under or around the base of the blades.
The previous post is a bit hysterical.
waimea jim

United States

#4 Dec 9, 2009
Jojo wrote:
I have had a wind turbine for almost two years here in Hawaii - Never have I found a dead bird under or around the base of the blades.
The previous post is a bit hysterical.
May I ask, what brand of wind turbine do you have, how much power does it put out, what is your electrical bill, and how much did you pay for it?

Do you have to have a large property to install one?

I was thinking of putting one on my property on the Big Island.

I saw a tall screw type (50' tall) turbine at Hawaii Prep, and a tiny double helix at the Natural Ocean Science Lab entrance.

These look like very efficient units.
maui resident

Kualapuu, HI

#5 Dec 10, 2009
that's all good, but please paint them the color of the surrounding plants.
We have to look at these monster towers all life long, and Birds get hit no matter what color it is. We don't get cheaper service, so give the public one thing. A break on the eyes.
Rosa

Sunapee, NH

#6 Dec 10, 2009
There is a big error in this report and an unsubstantiated claim.

1. "Together, Kaheawa I and II would generate 51 megawatts of wind power." No, that is their maximum rated output. As is clear from the theoretical projection of 70,000 MWh per year for the new turbines (divide by 8,760 hours in a year), Kaheawa II would generate only 8 MW of power. At that rate (which may well be exaggerated -- wind companies don't like to reveal their actual numbers), together, Kaheawa I and II would generate 19.4 MW of wind power.

2. "we're committed to helping Hawaii decrease its reliance on fossil fuels" -- Before continuing with further industrial development of the islands, shouldn't we see numbers showing the effect of Kaheawa I?

As to bird and bat kills, we're talking about giant industrial-scale machines, not personal windmills in the backyard. Furthermore, scavengers are more likely to find the dead and wounded before human observers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maalaea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov 12 Musikologist 13
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Jul '16 Musikologist 5
News Maui police arrest 3 in drug bust - News (Feb '09) Jun '16 Sativa 15
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... (Mar '16) Mar '16 DILF 10
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
News Judge voids final EIS for housing project (May '11) May '11 Maui Watch 2

Maalaea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maalaea Mortgages