State wants tourists to pay fees at 8...

State wants tourists to pay fees at 8 parks - Hawaii News

There are 80 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 1, 2009, titled State wants tourists to pay fees at 8 parks - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The state has proposed raising small boat harbor mooring rates and charging nonresidents to get into eight parks as part of a plan to pay for repair and maintenance at recreational facilities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bucky

Jenkins, MN

#64 Nov 1, 2009
I am making my sixth trip to Hawaii (to watch basketball, football and visit family...fun). In Wisconsin, state parks, trails and other facilities have entrance fees or parking charges. They can be purchased for the day or annually and are good at all state facilities. The costs are different for residents and non-residents. There are manned ranger houses at some of the more popular parks, and self-pay stations at others (you get a windshield sticker). The system is easy to understand and not too expensive (especially if one uses the parks a lot...as do I cross country skiing). I think Hawaii should investigate how we do it here, maybe it will help. I understand that paying for something that was free is tough, but access for the public to our country's wild areas cost money. I think we can get through this. Go Badgers
roadsterred

Honolulu, HI

#65 Nov 1, 2009
The state of Washington has an honor system where you pay for a permit upon entering a park. The permit dispenser is located at or near the parking lot and you display the permit on the dashboard of your car. As long as every park user pays and the revenues are dedicated to the maintenance and repair of the parks I would have no problem with this system. This would negate the DLNR folks from having to beg and be at the mercy of the Legislature each budget year.
the thai kid

Bangkok, Thailand

#66 Nov 1, 2009
hawaii is so hard -up for cash ....now they want to charge money to see nature ...and the people who live on boats are sick and tired of the state increasing thier rents for boat moorings...sad when people cant appreciate nature for free and are charged money ...linda lingle can go china and play marco polo and try to drum up tourism....while the the state government is drowning in a sea of debt...and puts the burden and high cost of living on the people of hawaii ..
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#68 Nov 1, 2009
Charge the Park fees and charge them a lot of money. Tourists are still coming here in spite of being robbed, hated on if they're white, gouged, raped and even murdered. They will never stop coming here unless we give them this final kick in the teeth. This could be the last effort to finally get us where we want to be, just another third-world toilet.
Dan

United States

#69 Nov 1, 2009
Its unfortunate how things are shaping up in Hawai'i. Locals don't want tourists coming around, tourists thinking they deserve special privileges because they're tourists. I guess its just signs of the times.

I remember my first trip to hawai'i, some 18 years ago as a little kid. So much Aloha spirit. so much love. I've been coming every year or every other year since then, visiting friends and family. I also recall about in 2002 christmas time, i was in the passenger seat of my cousins car waiting at a stop sign, when out of no wear a man, most likely homeless and crazy, punched me in the face. Not joking. Since then, i've noticed the Aloha spirit slowly dissapating. I think thats just how things are when small local places become a metropolis.

And for all those people on the board that don't want tourists coming to hawaii, Unfortunetly, you can't have your wish. Hawai'i will for the time being be branded as a US and international tourist destination. And when eventually all these taxes and surcharges become too much, and tourists start flocking to different destinations, well, thats the end of beautiful Hawai'i, because like it or not, the Hawaiian econonmy and life blood is too entertwined with one another to go unscathed.
Paul

Nerima, Japan

#70 Nov 1, 2009
Anyone been driving around Chicago lately? They have these obnoxious toll booths charging 25 cents, too many of which are unmanned. If you don't have change of a dollar, there is nobody there to make change. So, if you're an unprepared visitor, and you don't have enough pocket change to get through all of the toll booths on your route, then they give you an option - log onto their website, give them your credit card number, tell them which toll booth and which day and what time (are you getting all of this down), and they won't issue a ticket. Note that if you're in a rental car, you are responsible for the tickets issued to that rental car while you're driving it; if the rental car company gets a $20 fine for a missed toll, they'll bill it to you (no doubt with a service charge). Is is any wonder why Chicago lost its Olympic bid on the first round? And do you think I'm going to welcome the prospect of another trip to Chicago anytime soon? Think Hawaii! A-L-O-H-A S-P-I-R-I-T. Make the visitor want to come back.
lifes a beach

Aiea, HI

#73 Nov 1, 2009
It's too bad you can't appreciate that you get what you pay for. If you want cheap, that's what you get.
Abused

Kapaa, HI

#74 Nov 1, 2009
So if I pay to park and my car is ripped off for some goodies inside, do I get to force the state to cover the loss.....seems fair.
Jim

Salt Lake City, UT

#79 Nov 2, 2009
born and raised Oahu wrote:
People who live full-time in Hawaii (Does not include absent home owners, condo owners, time share owners!) should not have to pay to go to their own beaches and parks. There should always be a break for real residents. Tourists should not expect or even want us to pay. This is our home! The people who think residents should be put in the same category as tourists are doing all of us locals a disservice. The people who come here to visit all want our gracious aloha, but then act like they own the place! If you are visiting, you are a tourist. You need to act like one. Tourists pay, that is the trade off.
As one of the other posters said, it is one country. Should we in other states discriminate against you because you are a tourist in our state? Define a "real resident" and why they should get special privileges and tax breaks? They don't in any other state that I am aware of. Two examples of Hawaii's failed exclusivity: In past years you had to be a resident of Hawaii in order to apply for state government jobs. A lawsuit was filed and the Supreme Court declared that this practice was discriminatory and illegal. Now Mufi has passed a bill to increase the property taxes on non-resident property owners. They were already excluded from the tax break that local homeowners received. Now they will pay more even though they cannot vote and don't use the services to the extent that the residents do, including public schools, roads, etc. This is taxation without representation. Mufi keeps his home that he owns near D.C. You can bet that he plans to use it in the future and that is why he is pandering to make locals think that he is one of them. He wants higher political office. His heart is in D.C. You can also bet that he is not charged an excessive tax on his second home there just because he is a non-resident. Other states don't do that; the value of the property, not the residence of the owner, is taxed. Someone is going to file a class-action lawsuit on this issue and Hawaii state and county governments will pay the price eventually for their discriminatory and unlawful behavior.
Wordsmith

Kaneohe, HI

#80 Nov 2, 2009
THis whole article is a HUGE LIE...Hapuna Beach on the Big Island...go there....the <cough> facilities have never been taken care of by the State..falling apart..HAH!...HOW ABOUT IGNORED BY OUR Japanese MASTERs IN HILO ..who REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING THERE...not one dime hasbeen spent there in decades....no wonder it looks like HELL...as far as Akaka Falls goes...it needs nothing....however DON'T GO THERE..it has the HIGHEST rate of vehicle breakins of any place on the island...it is popular though for tourists that somehow find themselves on the EAst SIde of the island and the State/County simply wants to ca$h in.
judy b

Kailua Kona, HI

#81 Nov 2, 2009
who="Jim"
As one of the other posters said, it is one country. Should we in other states discriminate against you because you are a tourist in our state? Define a "real resident" and why they should get special privileges and tax breaks? They don't in any other state that I am aware of.

The eastern shore: Maryland & Del. both have local prices and tourist prices. Espescially at supermarkets. I know, I worked there. Many states have a discount for residents. If you don't know maybe you shouldn't be making statements that are just plain wrong.
options

Honolulu, HI

#82 Nov 2, 2009
It's like the UH charging to watch the football team on ppv, while on the other channels you can watch the top 10 teams play for free.
Tourist have alternative options and that includes destinations.
Finally, the state has a bad record of collecting taxes and then not spending those funds for their original intentions. Check out the state highways?
Injustice League

Honolulu, HI

#83 Nov 2, 2009
Paying for the parks? That's just wrong. I agree that having "tourists" pay to enjoy Hawaii's nature is an awful idea. This fee, plus high tax on hotel rooms, plus rising airfare to Hawaii, plus airline fees, ad naseum is unjust and will just contribute in an exodus of visitors away from Hawaii.

Heck, I hate the idea of having to pay to get into Diamond Head or Hanauma Bay and I'm a resident! I thought that was what I paid my taxes for...apparently not. I really hope this thing gets squashed.

Bad call, DLNR, bad call.
loco moco

Richmond, VA

#84 Nov 2, 2009
"Nuuani-Pali Wayside Park" I guess das da Pali lookout yeah? Mo betta they make one amendment so if you go jump off 'um, they going refund da entrance fee to your next of kin.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#85 Nov 2, 2009
Injustice League wrote:
Paying for the parks? That's just wrong. I agree that having "tourists" pay to enjoy Hawaii's nature is an awful idea.
It's become clear that tourists are no longer considered important to Hawaii. The polititians and developers have decided that Hawaii will be the playground for the rich, a gated community of epic proportions, and if you're not a millionaire you can just get off the islands.
Close HTA

Wahiawa, HI

#86 Nov 2, 2009
Aldo wrote:
Are they Lolo?
Why?
This will just keep tourists from coming...
Thielen is blind with greed,greed,greed. She cares nothing about our aina or island lifestyle, only money,money,money.
scared of her

Wahiawa, HI

#87 Nov 2, 2009
Yes, Thielen needs to be stopped or we will all pay the price.
Jim

Salt Lake City, UT

#88 Nov 3, 2009
judy b wrote:
who="Jim"
As one of the other posters said, it is one country. Should we in other states discriminate against you because you are a tourist in our state? Define a "real resident" and why they should get special privileges and tax breaks? They don't in any other state that I am aware of.
The eastern shore: Maryland & Del. both have local prices and tourist prices. Espescially at supermarkets. I know, I worked there. Many states have a discount for residents. If you don't know maybe you shouldn't be making statements that are just plain wrong.
Does that make it right, Judy--or legal? Maybe these things need to be tested in court.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#89 Nov 3, 2009
Ok, here's the PLAN. They charge the tourists to go to certain places, then in a couple of years they say the residents need to pay too. Then the program is expanded to include other parks and beaches. After a few short years we all have to pay to go to virtually any improved recreation area, complete with parking meters, and the unimproved beaches will have no parking at all. I PROMISE you this is what is going to happen. What they are doing is what they always do. They are just going to give us a kiss first and use the Vaseline. Sticking it to the tourists first is just to get you used to bending over. You'll even spread your own cheeks.
Close HTA

Wahiawa, HI

#91 Nov 4, 2009
Stumpy wrote:
Ok, here's the PLAN. They charge the tourists to go to certain places, then in a couple of years they say the residents need to pay too. Then the program is expanded to include other parks and beaches. After a few short years we all have to pay to go to virtually any improved recreation area, complete with parking meters, and the unimproved beaches will have no parking at all. I PROMISE you this is what is going to happen. What they are doing is what they always do. They are just going to give us a kiss first and use the Vaseline. Sticking it to the tourists first is just to get you used to bending over. You'll even spread your own cheeks.
completely correct. tourists first you and me next

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maalaea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
News Police and Fire - Hawaii News (Nov '09) Jan '16 Joe Balls 4
News Judge voids final EIS for housing project (May '11) May '11 Maui Watch 2

Maalaea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maalaea Mortgages