Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

One question: Gary Benedik, when Trustee, was one of the key TLC TIF proponents. You know, one of those blunderers in large part responsible for the loss of the those businesses you mention. So WHY is he on Getty's zoning board? Seems to me some of the old guard responsible for those blunders you mention have been working hand-in-glove with Mr. Getty, since 2009...who knows, maybe before.
Lyons Produces Heros

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Local Marine praises Lyons Mayor for his ongoing support to military and veterans

http://www.themarknewsonline.info/local-news/...

SERVICE MEN TO RETURN HOME TO LYONS

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story...

LUKE GREGERSON FORMER RESIDENT IS GOING TO PITCH FOR TEAM USA!

http://www.friarhood.com/luke-gregerson-to-pi...
Why Why

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

She back wrote:
One question: Gary Benedik, when Trustee, was one of the key TLC TIF proponents. You know, one of those blunderers in large part responsible for the loss of the those businesses you mention. So WHY is he on Getty's zoning board? Seems to me some of the old guard responsible for those blunders you mention have been working hand-in-glove with Mr. Getty, since 2009...who knows, maybe before.
Why don't you stop bringing in everyone and his brother into
your postings. You have no clue !
Not easy to Quit

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

"Adults with mental illnesses are more likely to smoke cigarettes and less likely to quit than people without mental illnesses, said a recent report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Tribune: Chicagoland Section page 4. March 13.
She back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Attack the messenger when you can't attack the message, eh, Forest Park. I do have lots of clues, which is why you're attacking me personally and not what I am posting...if TLC was such a bunch of blunderers, and the TIFs did so much damage - which I won't argue, since I have been pointing it out for ten years, now - why is one of their chief pro-TIF former Trustees on Getty's zoning board?

Could it be that the alphabet soup political parties are NOT the root cause of Lyons' financial distress and political dysfunction? Maybe something like unquestioning reliance on outsiders with their own, often self-serving agendas and no sense of responsibility - fiduciary or otherwise - to the Village or taxpayers might play a part? What about slanted, often incomplete information given out to Trustees and taxpayers concerning decisions and courses of actions, and pressure to make those decisions without adequate time to do diligence and consider?

If you don't determine the root cause, you'll never resolve the issue. Of course, it does appear easier to just villify...but sooner or later, those pesky issues always return.
Why Why

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but there definitely WAS a report by a licensed engineer - complete with pictures - that stated the building was structurally unsound. I saw it, and even called the engineering firm to verify the engineer's credentials. Telling the truth is not turning on anyone...sorry you see it that way.
Why were you so upset when past Administration allowed Stars and Stripes to operate out of an unsound building after they insisted
that no one should be in the building.

Remember the paperwork that stated the late Meridith took a bad fall in front of the building and a certain candidate running with VIP, asked Manager to make sure that Public Works go and shovel the walks in front of the unsound Rec Hall...remember. Remember the bit about GA....or have you forgotten to tell the whole truth?

You are supporting the very same person who had attorney send you
a letter that you were out of line, in talking with the employees at the old village hall...did you forget the parking lot incident..when freedom of speech was called into play?

Why Why

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Why did VIP candidate for Mayor go on TV.
Harry Porterfield segment and praise Stars and
Stripes and not mention that they were operating
in an unsafe building?

Forget all the rest: Did she ever tell that lady
who I believe did a fine job for our troops, that
she and her helpers were in an unsound building?
Marie Vachata

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but there definitely WAS a report by a licensed engineer - complete with pictures - that stated the building was structurally unsound. I saw it, and even called the engineering firm to verify the engineer's credentials. Telling the truth is not turning on anyone...sorry you see it that way.
I have a village tape when Mr. Meese came to verify his findings. He is the same man that put the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier. Said it could not be done due to wind. Mr. Burell had a paper by someone ??? Don't believe it. Building is fine. If it was so bad why was Stars and Stripes in it ???? I hope this issue is over.
Lyons Produces Heros

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

So start making a difference! Discover Lyons area volunteer opportunities at the featured resources below, or single out a volunteer effort by keyword and location using our volunteer widget. Don't forget to consult the list of Lyons volunteer organizations.

Know someone who's made a big difference in the Lyons community? Nominate them as a local hero and celebrate their efforts at the Power of One.
Volunteer Opportunities for Lyons, Illinois

•VolunteerMatch.org
•ServeNet.org
Really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

resident wrote:
<quoted text>you are an idiot the patties gave their friend henne the ridiculous contract thats right 100,000,00 and she was useless from the start, so its their fault we had to fire her and pay her off. what dont you understand about that?
And having a ast is a waste of money also is the pres to lazy to actually wprk or maybe he just wants to spent all day n night with his girl. 2000 a momtj is also a waste for a writer, whays next security
Really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
<quoted text>
Put the bottle down before you get in front of a computer.
Fat fingers. Save money and get rid of the Ast, what does he do that the pres can't. Why waste 2000 of the taxpayers money to write stories about himself next we will see him walking around town with bodyguards
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

"Mayor Getty has received an enormous amount support and commendation from the village for his open communication and interaction with constituents."

Commendation - from who? "Open communication" - he really is delusional! The only "constituents" he interacted with were his supporters.

And who is paying for the party - food and music? The TAXPAYERS!
Lyons Produces Heros

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Only The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
TLC/MVP were very successful in getting rid of our businesses. Amico, Shell, Suburban Mailing,Walgreens (Built new one on a TIF ) Tax payers have a 23 year tax freeze.They left 1st Avenue a mess. Snowflake property, Reno's, etc. Plus built a $17 Million Dollar Community Center and not a Police Station by the old Village Hall.
Wow !!! Blunder after Blunder. Mayor Getty will win again. Only because of all TLC/MVP mistakes.
My prediction is Getty will win with a landslide.

GETTY/UCP: 90%
VIP/MVP/TLC(all the same): 10%

When Visk got caught with those racist remarks.. Getty won all of the Hispanic and African American votes.. which makes up 60% of the village population. My guess is most will still be loyal to him. The other 40% Caucasian will probably %30 Getty %10 VIP... because the only 10% that vote VIP are going to be tied into VIP in some way.. where as, sorry to say, Mayor Getty is tied in with more than 5,000 residents.
the truth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Fact is President Getty only won back in 09 because it was a 3 way race. Also the tape spotlighting Predident Visk helped him. President Getty has never won a head to head race. Patti Wisneski was also the highest vote getter in 09. She got more votes than President Getty did. UCP can put up signs in all their windows (sire ot was by choice) bit signs don't vote people vote. This election Predident Getty has never won a head to head election so my money is on Patti Wisneski for village president! VIP isn't TLC or MVP its a brand new party made up of all past parties.
VIP Fyler

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Whoever prepared this flyer forgot to enclose 3-D glasses...how on earth can anyone read such small print?

Now they want Homeland Security Volunteer Group ???
Please, we have a Police Force..don't need "Junior
G-Man" running the show.
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

VIP Fyler wrote:
Whoever prepared this flyer forgot to enclose 3-D glasses...how on earth can anyone read such small print?
G-Man" running the show.
I'm sure all of the literature Getty pumps out - with a $400,000 war chest - will be large type for you. I will complement them on the fact that the flyer was entirely positive, although there is enough negative to put out.

As for the HS group, that is the current designation for the old ESDA - remember, the residents who stood out in all kinds of weather to direct traffic and help out in emergencies? The ones who Getty dumped on?
Old eyes

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

WTH wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure all of the literature Getty pumps out - with a $400,000 war chest - will be large type for you. I will complement them on the fact that the flyer was entirely positive, although there is enough negative to put out.
As for the HS group, that is the current designation for the old ESDA - remember, the residents who stood out in all kinds of weather to direct traffic and help out in emergencies? The ones who Getty dumped on?
No one is saying that they didn't do a good job back then.....UCP did not have anything to do with the incident that prompted their leaving.

Some people are real lucky !

She back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

VIP Fyler wrote:
G-Man" running the show.
We all know who starved out neighborhood watch...and until we get timely information from our Police on crimes occuring within our town, maybe we DO need to pursue avenues to get citizens involved in keeping us all safe.

Are you referring to Candidate Johnson's desire to start up a Police Explorers group for our youth here with your "Junior G-Man" crack? Because quite a few folks think it's a great idea to get kids - particularly those who may otherwise be at-risk - involved with positive influences. This is a great "no-cost/low-cost" opportunity to build a stronger community...

What's your alternative?
Lyons Produces Heros

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

the truth wrote:
Fact is President Getty only won back in 09 because it was a 3 way race. Also the tape spotlighting Predident Visk helped him. President Getty has never won a head to head race. Patti Wisneski was also the highest vote getter in 09. She got more votes than President Getty did. UCP can put up signs in all their windows (sire ot was by choice) bit signs don't vote people vote. This election Predident Getty has never won a head to head election so my money is on Patti Wisneski for village president! VIP isn't TLC or MVP its a brand new party made up of all past parties.
The Truth: I hear where your coming from, but it is that very point you just said "VIP isn't TLC or MVP its a brand new party made up of ALL PAST parties."

I think the residents of Lyons want out with the old and in with the new! By new, I mean Getty or someone that may step out of the shadows with no political history or connections in this town. But, that may not be until the next election.

I personally know Chris and Patty. They are both good people. I'm just afraid Patty could be mislead by some others pushing her in the direction she is taking...
Lyons Produces Heros

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

She back wrote:
<quoted text>
We all know who starved out neighborhood watch...and until we get timely information from our Police on crimes occuring within our town, maybe we DO need to pursue avenues to get citizens involved in keeping us all safe.
Are you referring to Candidate Johnson's desire to start up a Police Explorers group for our youth here with your "Junior G-Man" crack? Because quite a few folks think it's a great idea to get kids - particularly those who may otherwise be at-risk - involved with positive influences. This is a great "no-cost/low-cost" opportunity to build a stronger community...
What's your alternative?
I believe there was a lot of punk kids rebelling at the idea that their park was going to be demolished back in 09' by what Visk set in motion. When residents protested against the destruction of Smith, Getty stepped in and saved the park. He gave the kids not only a very promising brand new park, but has a plan on reviving the old one. I heard talks of adding a track, Football field, Soccer nets, a Lyons Jr. Football and Kids and Adult Soccer Programs, sand volley ball courts, possible talks of an ice rink during winter, a carnival, the car show, concerts, even getting Team USA pitcher Luke Gregerson to pay a visit and inspire all the kids to join Little League here.. in the very town he grew up playing in! Plus, so much more great ideas in speculation.

As far as the gangs, I seen some graffiti my whole life growing up here and never seen anything that is close to what you find in Berwyn or Cicero. I think its young kids who grab Daddy's spray paint and fantasize about being in a gang. I don't see any groups or gangs walking around town posing threats. It's not like people have to watch there back or be afraid to walk down the block because they might get shot in a cross fire or mugged. It just doesn't happen here. I live right by Smith Park and during Spring, Summer, and Fall I am usually outside doing housework, landscaping, or cleaning my motorcycle in my garage and I see who walks up and down these streets. Kids will be kids. I have plenty of nice garden decorations outside my house and of course I catch a kid occasionally trying to impress his friends by either stealing something or make an attempt to deface an object. But, out of no where they see me standing in front of them asking "So what are your thoughts there little man?" They chuckle, laugh a bit, and scream sorry as they are running away thinking they almost got caught doing something bad. It's not just my house I watch. It's the whole block I live on. I know I have many other neighbors who protect our block as well and keep watch on my property when I may be gone. I know that my friends that I grew up with who live here in town do the same thing on their block.. only see, being that I live by the park I get a lot of traffic. It doesn't take long before the kids learn they need to walk a straight line when passing down my block. I mean at 6'4" standing tall with a prominent beard, usually in my motorcycle gear because I just got home from a ride after work.. the kids think twice about messing with me. I believe an organization similar to Neighbor Hood Watch wouldn't hurt, but I don't think we need signs around town to do the job that needs to be done. You just need at least one adult to kind of supervise and monitor his/her block. It don't take much. I never had a kid talk back to me.. they probably show me more respect than they would a Lyons Officer. I think a neighborhood watch group or program would need more need an education guide to the people of Lyons. I mean, if the kids where aware that someone might be out watching every block, and they could get caught for illegal activity, they will think twice as those sinister thoughts run through their minds..

As far as the elimination of Neighbor Hood watch I'm actually okay with it. I live right by Smith Park

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,441 - 6,460 of8,063
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lyons Discussions

Search the Lyons Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Badon hires daughter 1 hr Had Enought 5
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr lol 47,058
bow chica wow wow 5 hr Chocolate Love 1
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! 8 hr AGREE 939
jewel stinks 8 hr topic 1
30 Year Old Fatally Stabbed at O'Malleys (Apr '09) 9 hr AlsipOwl 29
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 13 hr jimtownhounddogsniffing 3,777
•••
•••
•••
Lyons Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lyons Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lyons People Search