lyons, il politics
Really

United States

#6676 Mar 13, 2013
resident wrote:
<quoted text>you are an idiot the patties gave their friend henne the ridiculous contract thats right 100,000,00 and she was useless from the start, so its their fault we had to fire her and pay her off. what dont you understand about that?
And having a ast is a waste of money also is the pres to lazy to actually wprk or maybe he just wants to spent all day n night with his girl. 2000 a momtj is also a waste for a writer, whays next security
Really

United States

#6678 Mar 13, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
Put the bottle down before you get in front of a computer.
Fat fingers. Save money and get rid of the Ast, what does he do that the pres can't. Why waste 2000 of the taxpayers money to write stories about himself next we will see him walking around town with bodyguards
WTH

Forest Park, IL

#6679 Mar 13, 2013
"Mayor Getty has received an enormous amount support and commendation from the village for his open communication and interaction with constituents."

Commendation - from who? "Open communication" - he really is delusional! The only "constituents" he interacted with were his supporters.

And who is paying for the party - food and music? The TAXPAYERS!
Lyons Produces Heros

Hillside, IL

#6680 Mar 13, 2013
Only The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
TLC/MVP were very successful in getting rid of our businesses. Amico, Shell, Suburban Mailing,Walgreens (Built new one on a TIF ) Tax payers have a 23 year tax freeze.They left 1st Avenue a mess. Snowflake property, Reno's, etc. Plus built a $17 Million Dollar Community Center and not a Police Station by the old Village Hall.
Wow !!! Blunder after Blunder. Mayor Getty will win again. Only because of all TLC/MVP mistakes.
My prediction is Getty will win with a landslide.

GETTY/UCP: 90%
VIP/MVP/TLC(all the same): 10%

When Visk got caught with those racist remarks.. Getty won all of the Hispanic and African American votes.. which makes up 60% of the village population. My guess is most will still be loyal to him. The other 40% Caucasian will probably %30 Getty %10 VIP... because the only 10% that vote VIP are going to be tied into VIP in some way.. where as, sorry to say, Mayor Getty is tied in with more than 5,000 residents.
the truth

United States

#6681 Mar 14, 2013
Fact is President Getty only won back in 09 because it was a 3 way race. Also the tape spotlighting Predident Visk helped him. President Getty has never won a head to head race. Patti Wisneski was also the highest vote getter in 09. She got more votes than President Getty did. UCP can put up signs in all their windows (sire ot was by choice) bit signs don't vote people vote. This election Predident Getty has never won a head to head election so my money is on Patti Wisneski for village president! VIP isn't TLC or MVP its a brand new party made up of all past parties.
VIP Fyler

Riverside, IL

#6683 Mar 14, 2013
Whoever prepared this flyer forgot to enclose 3-D glasses...how on earth can anyone read such small print?

Now they want Homeland Security Volunteer Group ???
Please, we have a Police Force..don't need "Junior
G-Man" running the show.
WTH

Forest Park, IL

#6684 Mar 14, 2013
VIP Fyler wrote:
Whoever prepared this flyer forgot to enclose 3-D glasses...how on earth can anyone read such small print?
G-Man" running the show.
I'm sure all of the literature Getty pumps out - with a $400,000 war chest - will be large type for you. I will complement them on the fact that the flyer was entirely positive, although there is enough negative to put out.

As for the HS group, that is the current designation for the old ESDA - remember, the residents who stood out in all kinds of weather to direct traffic and help out in emergencies? The ones who Getty dumped on?
Old eyes

Riverside, IL

#6685 Mar 14, 2013
WTH wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure all of the literature Getty pumps out - with a $400,000 war chest - will be large type for you. I will complement them on the fact that the flyer was entirely positive, although there is enough negative to put out.
As for the HS group, that is the current designation for the old ESDA - remember, the residents who stood out in all kinds of weather to direct traffic and help out in emergencies? The ones who Getty dumped on?
No one is saying that they didn't do a good job back then.....UCP did not have anything to do with the incident that prompted their leaving.

Some people are real lucky !

She back

Chicago, IL

#6686 Mar 14, 2013
VIP Fyler wrote:
G-Man" running the show.
We all know who starved out neighborhood watch...and until we get timely information from our Police on crimes occuring within our town, maybe we DO need to pursue avenues to get citizens involved in keeping us all safe.

Are you referring to Candidate Johnson's desire to start up a Police Explorers group for our youth here with your "Junior G-Man" crack? Because quite a few folks think it's a great idea to get kids - particularly those who may otherwise be at-risk - involved with positive influences. This is a great "no-cost/low-cost" opportunity to build a stronger community...

What's your alternative?
Lyons Produces Heros

Hillside, IL

#6687 Mar 14, 2013
the truth wrote:
Fact is President Getty only won back in 09 because it was a 3 way race. Also the tape spotlighting Predident Visk helped him. President Getty has never won a head to head race. Patti Wisneski was also the highest vote getter in 09. She got more votes than President Getty did. UCP can put up signs in all their windows (sire ot was by choice) bit signs don't vote people vote. This election Predident Getty has never won a head to head election so my money is on Patti Wisneski for village president! VIP isn't TLC or MVP its a brand new party made up of all past parties.
The Truth: I hear where your coming from, but it is that very point you just said "VIP isn't TLC or MVP its a brand new party made up of ALL PAST parties."

I think the residents of Lyons want out with the old and in with the new! By new, I mean Getty or someone that may step out of the shadows with no political history or connections in this town. But, that may not be until the next election.

I personally know Chris and Patty. They are both good people. I'm just afraid Patty could be mislead by some others pushing her in the direction she is taking...
Lyons Produces Heros

Hillside, IL

#6688 Mar 14, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
We all know who starved out neighborhood watch...and until we get timely information from our Police on crimes occuring within our town, maybe we DO need to pursue avenues to get citizens involved in keeping us all safe.
Are you referring to Candidate Johnson's desire to start up a Police Explorers group for our youth here with your "Junior G-Man" crack? Because quite a few folks think it's a great idea to get kids - particularly those who may otherwise be at-risk - involved with positive influences. This is a great "no-cost/low-cost" opportunity to build a stronger community...
What's your alternative?
I believe there was a lot of punk kids rebelling at the idea that their park was going to be demolished back in 09' by what Visk set in motion. When residents protested against the destruction of Smith, Getty stepped in and saved the park. He gave the kids not only a very promising brand new park, but has a plan on reviving the old one. I heard talks of adding a track, Football field, Soccer nets, a Lyons Jr. Football and Kids and Adult Soccer Programs, sand volley ball courts, possible talks of an ice rink during winter, a carnival, the car show, concerts, even getting Team USA pitcher Luke Gregerson to pay a visit and inspire all the kids to join Little League here.. in the very town he grew up playing in! Plus, so much more great ideas in speculation.

As far as the gangs, I seen some graffiti my whole life growing up here and never seen anything that is close to what you find in Berwyn or Cicero. I think its young kids who grab Daddy's spray paint and fantasize about being in a gang. I don't see any groups or gangs walking around town posing threats. It's not like people have to watch there back or be afraid to walk down the block because they might get shot in a cross fire or mugged. It just doesn't happen here. I live right by Smith Park and during Spring, Summer, and Fall I am usually outside doing housework, landscaping, or cleaning my motorcycle in my garage and I see who walks up and down these streets. Kids will be kids. I have plenty of nice garden decorations outside my house and of course I catch a kid occasionally trying to impress his friends by either stealing something or make an attempt to deface an object. But, out of no where they see me standing in front of them asking "So what are your thoughts there little man?" They chuckle, laugh a bit, and scream sorry as they are running away thinking they almost got caught doing something bad. It's not just my house I watch. It's the whole block I live on. I know I have many other neighbors who protect our block as well and keep watch on my property when I may be gone. I know that my friends that I grew up with who live here in town do the same thing on their block.. only see, being that I live by the park I get a lot of traffic. It doesn't take long before the kids learn they need to walk a straight line when passing down my block. I mean at 6'4" standing tall with a prominent beard, usually in my motorcycle gear because I just got home from a ride after work.. the kids think twice about messing with me. I believe an organization similar to Neighbor Hood Watch wouldn't hurt, but I don't think we need signs around town to do the job that needs to be done. You just need at least one adult to kind of supervise and monitor his/her block. It don't take much. I never had a kid talk back to me.. they probably show me more respect than they would a Lyons Officer. I think a neighborhood watch group or program would need more need an education guide to the people of Lyons. I mean, if the kids where aware that someone might be out watching every block, and they could get caught for illegal activity, they will think twice as those sinister thoughts run through their minds..

As far as the elimination of Neighbor Hood watch I'm actually okay with it. I live right by Smith Park
She back

Chicago, IL

#6689 Mar 14, 2013
Lyons Produces Heros wrote:
<quoted text>
My prediction is Getty will win with a landslide.
GETTY/UCP: 90%
VIP/MVP/TLC(all the same): 10%
When Visk got caught with those racist remarks.. Getty won all of the Hispanic and African American votes.. which makes up 60% of the village population. My guess is most will still be loyal to him. The other 40% Caucasian will probably %30 Getty %10 VIP... because the only 10% that vote VIP are going to be tied into VIP in some way.. where as, sorry to say, Mayor Getty is tied in with more than 5,000 residents.
Sorry to burst your balloon, but according to the 2010 US Census, the population of Lyons is 4.2% black and 38.3% hispanic or latino.
When I learned arithmetic way back when at Lincoln School, I was taught that 4.2 + 38.3 = 42.5, NOT 60.0 BTW, the Census also lists tha percentage of "white persons, not hispanic" in Lyons as being 54.9% in 2010.

But I know, not everything you read is true...
Lyons Produces Heros

Hillside, IL

#6691 Mar 14, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to burst your balloon, but according to the 2010 US Census, the population of Lyons is 4.2% black and 38.3% hispanic or latino.
When I learned arithmetic way back when at Lincoln School, I was taught that 4.2 + 38.3 = 42.5, NOT 60.0 BTW, the Census also lists tha percentage of "white persons, not hispanic" in Lyons as being 54.9% in 2010.
She's Back: Yeah, It's called estimating.. and maybe I'm trying to paint a picture. Let's just call it like this then.. maybe it will be a close race.. but I still see the outcome like this:

Getty/UCP: 60%
Patty/VIP 40%

Does that make you happier?

Here:

Getty/UCP 51%
Patty/VIP: 49%

Sorry, I'm a firm believer Getty will prevail this election. He's got a strong agenda. He did a lot more in these 4 years than anyone else stepping into his position would. Now that he worked to get powers back to finally start making the changes Lyons needs, you want to throw the kid under the bus? Come on, you got to admit deep down inside you that there is a curiosity if the kid will actually exceed your expectations. That's not a bad thing. A mayor should need to win the respect of all people in his/her village.

As far as this Village President vs. Village Mayor?

I don't want a Village President. President is nothing but a term deemed to a person who is a speaker to the government for the people and a messenger from the government to the people.

I want a Mayor! One that sticks up for the residents and benefits of the community. One that isn't afraid to voice his/her direction. One that involves themselves in the community and doesn't sit behind a desk all day. One who takes charges and leads his/her Village in the direction the people want it to go.
Lyons Produces Heros

Hillside, IL

#6693 Mar 14, 2013
And as far as getting kids to "volunteer" to shovel snow and rake leaves or pick up trash.. not a bad idea, but it ain't going to happen. That is called "Community Service" and that may be what we need to implement once again. I remember as a kid getting in trouble with the law and I would be let off the hook basically and not have to face court, but they made me clean the cells at the station with a toothbrush for 4 hours, then pick up trash around town for 3 hours after lunch, and then write an essay on what I learned. Worked for me!

Also, kids need to learn the meaning of ambition. When you want to buy something as a kid and need a temporary job to earn money.. shoveling snow is perfect! All you need is the ambition to go door to door asking if anyone would like you to shovel the snow for an amount you both agree about. That's what leads a kid to feel ambition and get a taste of what it is like to work in the real world.

Now, there is things I've heard that a lot of residents may or may not be aware of.. but, Getty did put a free snow removal program together to get all the main sidewalks in town plowed. Basically, Lawndale Avenue, Joliet Avenue, and Ogden. He also put in motion that the village of public works remove all snow at the schools before school was let out.

But, I know if the idea of maybe putting together a list of high school kids that would be willing to shovel snow could get them selves on a sheet with a name, address, and phone number.. and where to be assigned a designated area.. and those flyers where to be mailed to the residents in the neighborhood.. if someone wanted to hire someone to remove the snow.. Bam! A high school kid with ambition will be there ready to work!

I know Getty, would put that together as soon as the idea is brought to him.
Old eyes

Riverside, IL

#6694 Mar 14, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your alternative?
there you go again...stating remarks that in no way reflect what
I intended. Stop with your assumptions and speculation ..
You are crossing the line when you think you can accuse people
of what their intentions may or may not be.

Of course that is what you do best !

YOU DON'T know what you are talking about, for real !

WTH

Forest Park, IL

#6695 Mar 14, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
A $400,000 war chest...check your numbers again, its less than a quarter of that.
Per the Illinois Board of Election Getty has received contributions totalling $413,768.55 including $13,720 from Technicraft (doing business with Village),$15,500 from Andreas (ditto),$14,125 from Reliable (ditto),$8,400 from Kurtz (ditto),$11,300 from Golden Age (?),$5,300 from Novotny (doing business with Village), and $3850 from Disposall (ditto). Any more questions? And this was as of December 12 of last year - so how much more has been added? And what was the $300,000 spent on? Cars, paying himself rent?
Know it all

Riverside, IL

#6696 Mar 14, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
2010 census, that is real accurate. What about the people that
chose not to fill out or submit a census form.
Know it all

Riverside, IL

#6697 Mar 14, 2013
Attorney said you only know how to count to 4...
CORRECTION

Riverside, IL

#6698 Mar 14, 2013
Know it all wrote:
Attorney said you only know how to count to 4...
CORRECTION: one only needs to know how to count to 4...
The Truth

Berwyn, IL

#6699 Mar 14, 2013
Whoever thinks that Chris getty is a breath of fresh air is sorely mistaken what you have is papa Getty pulling the strings and calling the shots in the background. Ken Getty isn't new to the political field but he sure has his hands all over the village hall not to mention Ken jr. Who gets access as well. With the VIP party we have people from all he different parties, some new to politics, and some were big time supporters of the UCP party and Chris Getty but surprise surprise after all the wasteful spending, questionable contracts, and political hirings they are now against him and his party. I received the flyer in the mail from the VIP party and it was a good piece it laid out a clear and distinct vision for the village like reinstating the neighborhood watch, like returning the clerk to a part time status and getting rid of health insurance for the trustees, and coming up with a comprehensive plan to bring new businesses to town and to market the village as a business destination. Just look at Ogden ave. in the almost 4 years that the UCP party has been at the helm we've had no new development at Ogden and Lawndale, no new development at the old walgreens/amaco site, and we continue to lose businesses at an alarming rate let's see DJs scuba gear, freddies pizza, Darcy Lynn's, and star heating and plumbing just to name a few. In order for our taxes to go down in town we need attract new businesses not subtract businesses. Maybe the UCP doesn't get it I mean with all their newcomers to politics Ryan Grace, Theresea Echiveria, Paul Marchiori, and Dawn Campos all never being in politics or involved in the village prior to becoming trustees and clerk respectively made they don't understand the concept of attracting new businesses and developments to town to bring tax relief to it's struggling residents. The UCP party under the direction of Chris Getty sure does know how to wastefully spend money like hiring a media consultant at $24,000.00 a year, hiring a friend to remove graffiti when we had it done for free, giving themselves health insurance, and pay raises. There is a clear choice come April 9th continue with a party that spends wastefully and needlessly or a party that will cut waste and spend wisely. I've looked at both campaigns and my choice is for the VIP party and come April 9th myself and several of my neighbors will vote for a party that has the interest of all the village residents and not that of just one person Chris Getty. All you have to do is look at the signs that only say re-elect Chris Getty ummm what about the rest of your ticket??? The election isn't just about you it's about your party and the village as a whole and the VIP party is a team and wants to work for the whole village not just themselves!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beyond 2018 21 min For Sale Soon 25
News Motorcyclist still in coma after November accident (Jan '10) 6 hr Lowest of them All 16
Guy who ran up and down 107th Street in Worth a... 20 hr Runner Fan 1
Increasing number of blacks and Hispanics movin... (May '08) Mon eP_2112A 210
News Hair Care Products Recalled for Bacterial Conta... Jan 20 Lowest of them All 1
Our Lady of the Ridge School Closing (Jan '17) Jan 19 Goes Back 45 Years 23
Village of Lyons IL new forum for 2011 (Dec '10) Jan 12 Youre Welcome 88

Lyons Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lyons Mortgages