She Back

United States

#5647 Sep 29, 2012
Just A Thought wrote:
I always believed that consolidation of services was a good idea - Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills are looking to consolidate police forces. But it has to be done with an eye to fiscal responsibility and without diminishing services. For more than 40 years I have been a proponent of consolidating fire and police forces, but each village can't stand the thought of giving up control.
If it is done in the sunshine, with eyes wide open on each side, it can be beneficial to consolidate...however, this library board hasn't even made a public announcement that they intend to take that first step: to become a district (separate taxing body, with fewer checks and balances and lots more $$$ legal responsibilities). Once that occurred, as said before, the second step is a baby one, as stated in a previous post: no taxpayer input, no taxpayer recourse,, no referendum, no muss, no fuss.

And voila! Lyons taxpayers would contribute $675,500 in property tax and PPRT hard revenue to McCook's $481,323, based on both entities 2011 Financial Statements.

And in return, Lyons taxpayers pick up responsibility for paying significantly more than half the combined debt:$1,500,000 McCook's owes in addition to the $250,000 our library currently has. Combined debt payments would zoom from the current $20,000 a year (`3% of our tax dollars, leaving 97% for actually funding services and programs) to $164,185, based on the 2011 filings (which would eat up ~ 14% of the combined tax dollars, reducing the portion available for services and programs to 86%).

If the Lyons facility were to remain open - and that is a very big if - services and programs would of necessity be diminished, if there were no tax increases. As you noted previously, Just A Thought, Library Director Horn ran a tight fiscal ship. Not much waste or inefficiency to cut out. And economies of scale? Well, she's on leave and not there any more to help out. And my research on the performance of the "leader of the pack" of the Library Board in a similiar setting - links to come later - is hardly comforting. So there we are...
She Back

United States

#5648 Sep 29, 2012
First link on what level of stewardship and accountability we can reasonably expect from our Library Board President in such things as fiscal responsibility, accountability to taxpayers, planning,...as demonstrated in her role as Executive Director of the Olympia Fields Park District:

http://sharpwatcholympiafields.com/

Look at bottom tab: Park Sham. Lengthy, but well worth the investment of time.

In the absence of a Patch or other news coverage, wouldn't it be great if WE had something like SharpWatch here? Check out the tabs on sewers & suburban municipal tax rates (Lyons is under Cook County - you might be amazed where we stand.)
Indicies

Forest Park, IL

#5649 Sep 29, 2012
She Back wrote:
First link on what level of stewardship and accountability we can reasonably expect from our Library Board President in such things as fiscal responsibility, accountability to taxpayers, planning,...as demonstrated in her role as Executive Director of the Olympia Fields Park District:
http://sharpwatcholympiafields.com/
Look at bottom tab: Park Sham. Lengthy, but well worth the investment of time.
In the absence of a Patch or other news coverage, wouldn't it be great if WE had something like SharpWatch here? Check out the tabs on sewers & suburban municipal tax rates (Lyons is under Cook County - you might be amazed where we stand.)
Thank you..the plot thickens
Btw

United States

#5650 Sep 30, 2012
Everything about this village is so negative, I can't wait to move!!!!
Lyons Gramma

Forest Park, IL

#5651 Sep 30, 2012
Btw wrote:
And you think it its different in some other community?
HUM

Forest Park, IL

#5652 Sep 30, 2012
Just A Thought wrote:
I always believed that consolidation of services was a good idea - Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills are looking to consolidate police forces. But it has to be done with an eye to fiscal responsibility and without diminishing services. For more than 40 years I have been a proponent of consolidating fire and police forces, but each village can't stand the thought of giving up control.
Before the Lyons Village Hall was built, the song was that Lyons and Riverside were going to consolidate. I guess that went the way of the Hoffman Damn, down river!
SAD

Forest Park, IL

#5653 Sep 30, 2012
Btw wrote:
Be glad you don't live in some of the other communities, this goes on all over, look at the federal government! They all lie and stick it to the people, why? because they can..........
She Back

United States

#5654 Sep 30, 2012
Btw wrote:
Actually, there are a lot of great folks in this village, who don't deserve to have their pocketbooks pillaged and plundered by politicians and the politically connected via deception, corruption and mission creep on steroids.

The public deserves to know ALL of the potential and extremely probable consequences of conversion of our library to a district, as well as the move to replace the Library Director for reasons untold under the cover of darkness. How many of the Library Board Trustees knew when voting for Resolutions to convert to a district that the statutes allow for a merger with no voter input or recourse? And if they were aware, did they take a look at the financials?

So all of you know: if you sign a nominating petition for a party for village office, you CAN NOT sign one for an independent candidate for Village President, Clerk or Trustee. Likewise, if you sign a petition for an independent candidate for any of those offices, you can not sign a party nominating petition. One party, UCP, is out collecting signatures, another is registered with the Board of Elections, but hasn't been circulating as far as this poster knows, and TWO independent candidates for trustee are also collecting signatures. Just because you have signed a petition does not mean that you must vote for that candidate or slate of candidates come April. After all, lots can change between now and then...but it can be a plus to have diversity on the ballot.
Duffys Tavern

Chicago, IL

#5655 Sep 30, 2012
Does anyone know where are current elected officials stand on this library issue of converting to a District? Or how do they feel about the potential merger with the McCook Library and the assumption of that additional debt? Something does not seem right here. Where are the Village leaders on these issues? Without the diligent information gathering and posting of she back, we would all be clueless. There seems to be much more going on here than meets the eye.
She Back

Baltimore, MD

#5656 Oct 1, 2012
The Resolution passed by the Library Board requesting the the Village corporate authorities approve conversion of our local library to a district library back in May or June - their minutes are unclear as to which date applies - invoked 75 ILCS 16/10-15(a), required an up or down vote by the Village Board in a public meeting.

As far as can be ascertained, there is proof of service on both documents (and that statute imposes a 60 day deadline in which the Village corporate authorities were supposed to act); yet, there is no evidence that it was ever considered in open session, as would be required under the OMA. Also no evidence that any or all of the Village Trustees were aware of this Resolution and the vote it should have triggered.

Looks like someone decided - for whatever reason - to make it "disappear" from the public view. Were deals cut behind closed doors, and decisions made that the decision makers felt were too risky to reveal: better to let it go to referendum, so the voters, once led down the primrose path, could be left to, in the words of Herman Cain, "blame yourselves". Also, not putting it to a vote in a public meeting prevents pesky questions being raised by out-of-the-loop Trustees or the public, such as: "why is the library doing this?", "why hasn't the Village been forwarding the Library's property tax and PPRT $$$ in a timely fashion?" and "Is the Village's cash flow so precarious that they had to hold onto the Library's funds until other $$$ arrived?"
tax payer

Chicago, IL

#5657 Oct 7, 2012
Can we just get rid of the library?
Lyons Grandma

Forest Park, IL

#5658 Oct 7, 2012
tax payer wrote:
What??????????
She Back

United States

#5659 Oct 8, 2012
tax payer wrote:
Sure, but you've got to put it on the ballot as a public policy question.

Good luck with that, given the current demographics of Lyons. Lots of taxpayers actually use and value the Library; they do not want to see Library programs and services diminished, let alone "gotten rid of". Perhaps you can enlighten those of us who fit in this category WHY you want to discontinue having a Library here in Lyons?

And where would the assets go? Back to the Village? You know, the Village that is now in debt over $41 M (and still counting, as we dig up additional debt lurking in the shadows - did we ever get a loan from IEPA, for instance: haven't found that one yet in any disclosures, but haven't really looked in that diection YET)- not yet uncovered? Where loose lips on the fiscally sinking ship of state are whispering: "Another TIF...more development projects - taxpayer funded, of course with little or no public disclosure or oversight..."

Let's look at just a couple of instances to see how that worked out for us, the taxpayers of Lyons, shall we?

South Ogden TIF, Riverwalk Senior Apartments: built at a cost of $13 M, currently assessed at under $400,000 - or just a little over $3 on every dollar it cost to build.(But don't believe me: check out the assessor's website, look at the appeal history and then you can verify the initial cost by googling the AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust website and look up the description under projects).

Then, there are those pesky little water & sewer bonds, for which we have been paying undisclosed amounts on each and every water bill. Those bonds were paid off last May, so where is the reduction in our bills? Not to worry: our Village President sez, since Chicago raised the rate on our water, he is just keeping on keeping on collecting the (now defunct) bond payment money, so he can say he hasn't raised our water rates.(No kidding!) And we the residents are once again left in the dark as to what we are paying for, and if we are paying MORE than the rate increase, if honestly presented, would be? And if we are paying more, where is the surplus going?

BTW, if you got your way, and the library was discontinued, would the Village still levy - and keep - the money that now goes to support the library? Like they are doing with the water & sewer bond $$$?
She Back

United States

#5660 Oct 8, 2012
OOPS! Meant to say Riverwalk Senio Apartments, currently assesed at a little over $3 on every $100 it cost to build. Wouldn't you like your property assessed at 3%? I sure would!
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5661 Oct 8, 2012
tax payer wrote:
Our library is one of the best assets our Village has - at least for now. I personally use it on a regular basis, as does my wife. And, I spoke with one of the employees who told me their circulation was higher than ever. It is always busy with people using the computers, DVDs, CDs, etc. They provide valuable services to school kids. If our library were to close, that would be the death knell for our community.
SAD

Forest Park, IL

#5662 Oct 8, 2012
tax payer wrote:
Perhaps that is the idea behind all of this..........think about it, if Lyons Library merges with McCooks, and McCooks has the debt, why run two libraries, just close Lyons and we all use McCook..........I wonder if McCook knows this? Why? They don't want Lyons using their ballfields much less their library. Sounds like a screw job to the citizens/taxpayers of Lyons. Just keep paying the taxes and let them do whatever they want? Heck no, make sure and vote 'NO' on this referendum.
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5663 Oct 8, 2012
I just wonder how much the members of the library board use the library? Or even if they have library cards?
Meeting

Forest Park, IL

#5664 Oct 8, 2012
Just A Thought wrote:
I just wonder how much the members of the library board use the library? Or even if they have library cards?
Lyons Library Meeting tonight:

October 8, 2012

6:30pm

Meeting Wrong Date Again

Forest Park, IL

#5665 Oct 8, 2012
Meeting wrote:
<quoted text>
October 8, 2012
Real nice, Agenda posted:

``October 8, 2012 at 6:30PM```

Showed up and was informed meeting is tomorrow.
Young lady did not know who typed this agenda or who posted it.

And someone on this blog wanted to know if the members had a library card....it is obvious, they don't know one day from another.

Another violation of Open Meetings Act.
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5666 Oct 8, 2012
Meeting wrote:
<quoted text>
October 8, 2012
It will be a "closed meeting" to accept the "resignation" of the director...no discussion, no answers....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let the election game start 11 min disgusted voter 36
omg 3 hr gxm24263 3
Corsi's Carnival 14 hr Resident 5
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 19 hr GOD IS KING 1,448
15 displaced by extra-alarm fire at Chicago Rid... Fri tbone. 6
Paranormal in Alsip (Apr '06) Mar 27 GoodOldDays 17
News Republican Congressional Candidate Says 'Holoca... (Mar '12) Mar 7 HeMadeSoMany 3
Lyons Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lyons People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]