Hubman and Administration

Posted in the Lyons Falls Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
average player

Boonville, NY

#1 Dec 10, 2012
BE Teachers circulate a petition telling administration that there's not enough flexibility in current curriculum to account for sic time. You know what there told, then maybe you should cancel Christmas parties and use that time to catch up! These are K-5 children people.....Where is the balance? Our kids are being punished for the schools failures and the desperation of scoring above pathetic levels on the state tests...I have never seen so many teat given each and every week! Comments...
Double edge

Gloversville, NY

#2 Dec 10, 2012
I agree that it is a shame what the state has done to our kids. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the local leadership and you should be careful in believing everything you hear.
Worker

Northville, NY

#3 Dec 10, 2012
I am a sub in the BE building. I am in there almost everyday. I am also 1 year away from completing my masters in becoming and Elementary teacher. The state has redone the curriculum. With this new curriculum, the teachers are held accountable for every students, even the students that receive special education services and are not in their room for part of the day. The state has also up the scores for each test that the students take. For example, your child last year on the test received a 3. This year your child's 3 might become a 2, which is below average because the state has raised the scores. It is not the child's fault that they are below average, it is the schools.

The teachers have to give the child tests every week so they are prepared for the tests. Even now, with so many students, parents, and teachers getting sick, the school needs to teach new material every day, so they will meet the new standards and not be placed on the schools in need of improvement list. If they are on that list for so many years, the state will send someone in to evaluate everybody, and they have the right to fire anybody and hire new teachers in the building.

I understand that you are angry at the school but your anger should be placed at the state. If the state did not set these new standards and curriculum, there would be more time for the teachers to teach everything and get everyone caught up.
Question

Speculator, NY

#4 Dec 10, 2012
You're talking about the NEW curriculum. What's been going on for the past 8 years or so? ACS has been going down hill for years. You have a history-American Government teacher who does not teach, doesn't even grade tests. He's under investigation for theft of money and he's still teaching! Test scores have been going down for years. I'm tired of people blaming the new curriculum and Hubman. I think someone like Hubman is needed at ACS it's time we get a new curriculum with accountability.
Agree sort of

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Dec 10, 2012
I agree that there needed to be a change in direction at ACS but from what I have inside knowledge about is that the schedule and curriculum was created/assembled without teachers; let me say that again WITHOUT TEACHERS. Now correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't you think incorporating them would have proven to be a valuable asset in planning how to attack the new state curriculum. Then maybe half-days, snow days, K-5 holiday parties, and sick days would have been considered. Instead we had administratorsí determining how these people are going to accomplish their job; when in fact they have never done it before. Hmmmm sounds like disaster from the start. Maybe include all of the people (ACS Staff) who are trying to teach our kids and come together as a team would have been better than what they are dealing with this year.
you are right

Gloversville, NY

#6 Dec 10, 2012
get rid of hubman, stop the nonsense of half days, early relases, and go to school full time. It worked for the kids in the 80's and 90's. these kids are smart
Justme

Speculator, NY

#7 Dec 10, 2012
First of all, after 30 years and 6 children and grandchildren in ACS I've watched the deteriorization in the schools. Face it, the community has changed. Do you know that some of the parents of these kids are drug addicts? How can a kid learn in school when he or she hasn't eaten properly or had enough sleep? Secondly, the teachers union has become too strong. The high school teacher who is not teaching (and EVERYONE in town knows who he is) should be fired IMMEDIATELY! There are still plenty of good teachers in the district but face it, we've lost too many of the old timers.(I'd retire too if I were given the amount of money these teachers were given to retire!) This problem started long before Hubman got here. I wish I had an answer but my oldest son got a great education at ACS, I wish I could say the same for my grandchildren!
average player

Boonville, NY

#8 Dec 10, 2012
It is not the states fault that the administration did not involve teachers in setting up how to teach the new curriculum to the kids. It's called LEADERSHIP ! Getting people to work together for the benefit of all! Where do you see that in current administration? Also , to be honest with you I think the state would be doing all our kids a favor if they fired everyone and started over! Someone needs to come in and clean up this mess!
MEMA

Gloversville, NY

#9 Dec 10, 2012
Why does everyone blame Mr Hubman. problems were there before he arrived. We have not had the education our children are intitled to. It is high time someone said just do it, enough of the excuses we have heard for the past few years.He is the super, and he is the man in charge just doing his job.
average player

Boonville, NY

#10 Dec 10, 2012
MEMA wrote:
Why does everyone blame Mr Hubman. problems were there before he arrived. We have not had the education our children are intitled to. It is high time someone said just do it, enough of the excuses we have heard for the past few years.He is the super, and he is the man in charge just doing his job.
This is his 3rd year, how are things going so far? When does it become his mess? Maybe we should blame Bush!
Glass houses

Lake Luzerne, NY

#11 Dec 10, 2012
Sounds like average player has an axe to grind and is painting a picture to suit their agenda. The teachers were involved in selecting the new series. In order to evaluate the effectiveness of the series, everyone needs to be on the same schedule. The administration is attempting to carry this out. At acs we have had low scores across the board (program problem).
Agree sort of

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Dec 11, 2012
average player wrote:
It is not the states fault that the administration did not involve teachers in setting up how to teach the new curriculum to the kids. It's called LEADERSHIP ! Getting people to work together for the benefit of all! Where do you see that in current administration? Also , to be honest with you I think the state would be doing all our kids a favor if they fired everyone and started over! Someone needs to come in and clean up this mess!
Again I agree sort of; but firing everyone is NOT what should happen at ACS; they have some outstanding teachers! Now maybe fire all adminstration "yeah"....someone stated the "teacher's union" and I have to agree with that as well because it seems like a tenured teacher is untouchable and that's the mentality instilled in people that take these jobs. I have alot of friends that went to college to become teachers and most of them held off on starting their own families, getting married, making a big purchase (buying a house) until they were tenured and when I spoke with them they were all like "well once I am tenured they can't do anything to get rid of me or fire me". And if you're young and want to stay in this area "mohawk valley/north country" these teaching jobs are a sure fire way to do that. I think I heard once that Rome Free Academy RFA is the largest employer of the City of Rome?
average player

Boonville, NY

#13 Dec 11, 2012
If trying to get the best possible education for my kids is having an axe to grind then yes, I have a axe to grind! My "agenda" is my kids enjoying the school experience as well as learning .
Big Boss

North Creek, NY

#14 Dec 11, 2012
average player wrote:
If trying to get the best possible education for my kids is having an axe to grind then yes, I have a axe to grind! My "agenda" is my kids enjoying the school experience as well as learning .
Than got off topix you dumb ass, and got to board meetings. Don,t complain on here for all idiots to agree with you or want to fire someone.
Parent

North Creek, NY

#15 Dec 11, 2012
I agree-we should listen to all the teachers and let them make make all the decisions as they have in the past in the elementary. That way we can continue to have the lowest state assessment scores in both Oneida and Lewis county. Sure, Utica speaks 15 languages and has a 75 percent free and reduced rate-but they beat us on state assessments.
Less then average player

North Creek, NY

#16 Dec 11, 2012
Average player-you are right. Why should we punish the kids-lets put the blame where it belongs with the teachers that can't get the kids higher scores. Maybe the kids could generate a petition. Oh wait, they are so far below their counterparts in other poorer districts they can't spell petition. Sure, they can't read but thank goodness they got a Christmas party. Too bad they will never get into college.
Ford St police
#17 Dec 12, 2012
Big Boss wrote:
<quoted text>Than got off topix you dumb ass, and got to board meetings. Don,t complain on here for all idiots to agree with you or want to fire someone.
Shouldn't you be worry yourself with the signs on Ford street? You mope
Big Boss

North Creek, NY

#18 Dec 12, 2012
No one else can litter a street without getting into trouble. So what the hell is right with all these damn signs. I will be tearing them down.
Blame Game

Dover, DE

#19 Dec 12, 2012
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x2105850831/Cuts-...
I wonder if the Adirondack teachers will fill in, or if they are too busy worrying about their time off, to be concerned with the fact that our scores are lower than UticaÖ.. maybe it is the parents that arenít doing their job, as I am sure every parent in cornhill spends their time reading to their kids, it canít possibly be our teachers, can it? Maybe we should blame the administration, how dare they ask the teachers to work and to teach our kids to the level of the state mandates? Maybe we should blame the state, what in the world are they thinking trying to educate children to be competitive in the world?
Justme

Frankfort, NY

#20 Dec 12, 2012
You make a good point! Under the previous super, the teachers had it made. Teachers said jump, Morgan said..How far? Yes we still have good teachers but nearly as many as in the past. You can't blame all the problems on Hubman. The teachers have been fighting him since he got here. How dare he insist that they do their jobs!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyons Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adirondack Sports (Aug '13) 6 hr mistake 1,241
Commercial Water Extraction (May '14) 8 hr Always Sunny in L... 15
Michelle dafoe 10 hr Jenn 1
George.F & Kelly burr 16 hr Lame 5
Husbands that cheat Wed Lilly 9
Great American Grocery Store (Mar '13) Wed Wool 229
lyons falls farmers market 2017 Apr 26 woodgirl 2

Lyons Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance