How can anyone own a business in Murr...

How can anyone own a business in Murray...

Posted in the Lynn Grove Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Zodiac

Owensboro, KY

#1 Mar 20, 2013
...when they make it damn near impossible to set up shop? Oh and good to see that 40% of the commissioners were absent. WTF???

http://murrayledger.com/news/local/city-plann...
Educated with Truth

Manassas, VA

#2 Mar 20, 2013
It is a miracle Murray has any growth. Every board, commission, planning, city planner, everyone.....all afraid of any opposition. They are being run over by individuals who have limited to no knowledge regarding development. They allow them to command their decisions. I hope Mr. Noonan brings his project back and the entire commission has the brass to show up and vote. Especially since there are 45 examples of the same type development running up and down 12th street. Explain to me and the rest of us why? Or in this case why not?
need growth

Sedalia, KY

#3 Mar 20, 2013
As far as I can tell the leadership in Murray has not kept up with the times and should be replaced by people who understand growth and opportunity. Murray has out grown our county / city leaders. We should be the largest city by far in western Ky. We need jobs, roads, infrastructure, more tourism, etc...
The Zodiac

Owensboro, KY

#4 Mar 20, 2013
Because people are afraid of change. For example, I'm sure Kemp had the opportunity to open a DQ Brazier. Why didn't he? That would have involved change. Now what do we have? Sure, good ice cream and subpar hot dogs...for 8 months per year. As much as people despise change around here, I'm shocked that we have cable and electricity. Oh and don't get me started on the yard sale signs that can no longer be put up. Because we all know yard sale signs are the devil!!!

Now I'm waiting for the classic, common, mouth-breathing response.
grow up

Sedalia, KY

#5 Mar 20, 2013
Every business in Murray wouldn't have to be on 12th street if we were more than a one road town. Why is 4th, 16th, Doran, Roberson, etc.. still in the shape that they are in. North 16th should be shutdown immediately before someone is killed or a bus of kids are involved in an accident.
GiGi

Bronx, NY

#6 Mar 20, 2013
The Zodiac wrote:
Because people are afraid of change. For example, I'm sure Kemp had the opportunity to open a DQ Brazier. Why didn't he? That would have involved change. Now what do we have? Sure, good ice cream and subpar hot dogs...for 8 months per year. As much as people despise change around here, I'm shocked that we have cable and electricity. Oh and don't get me started on the yard sale signs that can no longer be put up. Because we all know yard sale signs are the devil!!!
Now I'm waiting for the classic, common, mouth-breathing response.
They haven't figured out a way to tax or make you buy a licence for a yard sell without every one voting thier sorry butts out. I think licences was brought up once however.
For Real

Murray, KY

#7 Mar 20, 2013
It seems like you guys would be much happier if you just went ahead and made the move to a great big city. Some people, myself definitely included, are happy with Murray just the way it is. I know that, to you, that means that I, and others, are "stuck in the dark ages" or something equally clever. I enjoy living in a small(ish) town and raising my family here. If Murray ever got to be as large and bustling as Paducah, which is not even really a big town, I would no longer be happy here, and I know I am not alone. I've lived here all of my 30+ years, and in that time I've seen Murray grow quite a bit. No matter how much progress is made here, people are constantly screaming "More, more, more." Well, I for one am not going to go bitching and moaning because we didn't get (another) new sandwich shop. If you don't like living here, and if you're not satisfied with the progress Murray has seen, then I think you owe it to yourselves to move on to some overcrowded metropolis that better meets your high, sophisticated standards.
grow up

Sedalia, KY

#8 Mar 20, 2013
For Real wrote:
It seems like you guys would be much happier if you just went ahead and made the move to a great big city. Some people, myself definitely included, are happy with Murray just the way it is. I know that, to you, that means that I, and others, are "stuck in the dark ages" or something equally clever. I enjoy living in a small(ish) town and raising my family here. If Murray ever got to be as large and bustling as Paducah, which is not even really a big town, I would no longer be happy here, and I know I am not alone. I've lived here all of my 30+ years, and in that time I've seen Murray grow quite a bit. No matter how much progress is made here, people are constantly screaming "More, more, more." Well, I for one am not going to go bitching and moaning because we didn't get (another) new sandwich shop. If you don't like living here, and if you're not satisfied with the progress Murray has seen, then I think you owe it to yourselves to move on to some overcrowded metropolis that better meets your high, sophisticated standards.
Could we at least have 2 McDonalds and more than 1 road through town?

Murray is so small that the leaders are actually circling traffic around their own businesses and shutting competition out.
For Real

Murray, KY

#9 Mar 20, 2013
grow up wrote:
<quoted text>
Could we at least have 2 McDonalds and more than 1 road through town?
Murray is so small that the leaders are actually circling traffic around their own businesses and shutting competition out.
Really? Now you need two McDonalds? Your argument just lost a whole lot of credibility. And Murray is just not that small.

Tell me this: What do you like about Murray? I ask this of anyone on here who is constantly complaining about this town. Obviously, Murray is not for everyone. Some people are better suited to larger towns. Nothing wrong with that. But do we change the town to suit your needs, when so many others are happy here? Seriously, what keeps you here when you are obviously so displeased with our progress?
Methree

Richland, WA

#10 Mar 21, 2013
The people on the board(s) need to be allowing whatever business and zoning that's legal. It isn't up to any mouth breather of Murray (or board member) to use their power to restrict growth, including development. If someone doesn't like a change (or new business), then don't support it with your money. You ARE unethical to stop the development of the business itself because that's what America is all about. Free to build, develop and grow. If society doesn't like and enough people don't support it, it disappears. It's a crazy shame so many people here fly the American flag high and then want to use their legal power to halt certain new business and development. That must be some part of this small town "charm".

But if any changes succeed and stick around, however, you should keep your money in protest and shut your mouth about keeping Murray "small". You are doing a disservice to everyone who will come after us by limiting opportunities.
Jack

United States

#11 Mar 21, 2013
For Real wrote:
It seems like you guys would be much happier if you just went ahead and made the move to a great big city. Some people, myself definitely included, are happy with Murray just the way it is. I know that, to you, that means that I, and others, are "stuck in the dark ages" or something equally clever. I enjoy living in a small(ish) town and raising my family here. If Murray ever got to be as large and bustling as Paducah, which is not even really a big town, I would no longer be happy here, and I know I am not alone. I've lived here all of my 30+ years, and in that time I've seen Murray grow quite a bit. No matter how much progress is made here, people are constantly screaming "More, more, more." Well, I for one am not going to go bitching and moaning because we didn't get (another) new sandwich shop. If you don't like living here, and if you're not satisfied with the progress Murray has seen, then I think you owe it to yourselves to move on to some overcrowded metropolis that better meets your high, sophisticated standards.
It seems you might be happier in Mayfield where the economy is stagnant. Murray is in fact growing. If you don't like that then why don't you move?
Native

Wingo, KY

#12 Mar 21, 2013
I grew up in Murray and have lived here over 40 years. It has grown tremendously and will continue to grow. The people who think they own this town will soon die out. It's only a matter of time before we grow even more!!!!!
The Zodiac

Owensboro, KY

#13 Mar 21, 2013
For Real wrote:
It seems like you guys would be much happier if you just went ahead and made the move to a great big city. Some people, myself definitely included, are happy with Murray just the way it is. I know that, to you, that means that I, and others, are "stuck in the dark ages" or something equally clever. I enjoy living in a small(ish) town and raising my family here. If Murray ever got to be as large and bustling as Paducah, which is not even really a big town, I would no longer be happy here, and I know I am not alone. I've lived here all of my 30+ years, and in that time I've seen Murray grow quite a bit. No matter how much progress is made here, people are constantly screaming "More, more, more." Well, I for one am not going to go bitching and moaning because we didn't get (another) new sandwich shop. If you don't like living here, and if you're not satisfied with the progress Murray has seen, then I think you owe it to yourselves to move on to some overcrowded metropolis that better meets your high, sophisticated standards.
And that was the classic response I was looking for. "If you don't like it, move". And it's not about the type of business coming in, it's about someone wanting to make money, follow a dream of owning their own business, etc. It's also about having choices. It doesn't matter if we have 20 sub shops. It's about giving people options. And it's not like the guy is opening a porn store. It's a damn sandwich shop. It shouldn't be this hard to open a simple sub shop. By the way, how does that look to potential corporations who are looking for areas to set up or expand? Do you think they want to deal with red tape left and right? As you can see, that new industrial park is loaded with companies. How many corporations have ran away because of all the local BS? I don't blame them. But there is hope. The old guard, people like "For Real" are dying off left and right. Maybe someday this town will reach it's full potential.

Oh and if you want to see how progress can work and still keep their small town charm, look at Paducah. Small town with lots of choices. Anyone remember when the Big Burley Mart was the only thing across from the mall? Can you imagine if the current and past leaders of Murray were in charge there? The Big Burley Mart would still be there along with an empty field. To the "leaders" of Murray that ignore the will of the people and think they are the sh it and hold some real power; STOP BEING THE PROBLEM AND START BECOMING THE SOLUTION!!!
The Zodiac

Owensboro, KY

#14 Mar 21, 2013
grow up wrote:
<quoted text>
Could we at least have 2 McDonalds and more than 1 road through town?
Murray is so small that the leaders are actually circling traffic around their own businesses and shutting competition out.
AGREED! For example, Somerset, KY has a population of 11,500 (give or take) and they have two McDonald's restaurants. They also have two Hardee's, two Wendy's, two DQ's and three Subway's. Meanwhile, we have a freaking university with 11,000 students and a population of 17,000 plus. But alas, we get to wait in line at Subway for 30 minutes and a drive-thru line at McDonald's that stretches up 12th street. BTW, the McDonald's here is a freaking dump. Almost every McDonald's around here has gone through renovations. Not here! They probably couldn't even get the permits approved by the city.
Old fart

Mayfield, KY

#15 Mar 21, 2013
Here is how Murray works. If you want a new business, well, zoning for one, you have to bribe, er, "make campaign donations" to the right people. If you own a business and want to keep a competitor out, you better make a bigger donation.
The same garbage has been going on in Murray for...well, since I first came here in the 80s.
Attack response from twatwaffle in 3, 2, 1
...

Florence, KY

#16 Mar 21, 2013
The Zodiac wrote:
<quoted text>AGREED! For example, Somerset, KY has a population of 11,500 (give or take) and they have two McDonald's restaurants. They also have two Hardee's, two Wendy's, two DQ's and three Subway's. Meanwhile, we have a freaking university with 11,000 students and a population of 17,000 plus. But alas, we get to wait in line at Subway for 30 minutes and a drive-thru line at McDonald's that stretches up 12th street. BTW, the McDonald's here is a freaking dump. Almost every McDonald's around here has gone through renovations. Not here! They probably couldn't even get the permits approved by the city.
They also have the one road strip like Murray in Somerset !
Linda

United States

#17 Mar 21, 2013
The Zodiac wrote:
<quoted text>AGREED! For example, Somerset, KY has a population of 11,500 (give or take) and they have two McDonald's restaurants. They also have two Hardee's, two Wendy's, two DQ's and three Subway's. Meanwhile, we have a freaking university with 11,000 students and a population of 17,000 plus. But alas, we get to wait in line at Subway for 30 minutes and a drive-thru line at McDonald's that stretches up 12th street. BTW, the McDonald's here is a freaking dump. Almost every McDonald's around here has gone through renovations. Not here! They probably couldn't even get the permits approved by the city.
McDonald's serves junk. I'm all for getting restaurants that offer variety and some nutritional value but McDonald's offers nothing but minimum wage jobs and heart disease.
Linda

United States

#18 Mar 21, 2013
The Zodiac wrote:
<quoted text>AGREED! For example, Somerset, KY has a population of 11,500 (give or take) and they have two McDonald's restaurants. They also have two Hardee's, two Wendy's, two DQ's and three Subway's. Meanwhile, we have a freaking university with 11,000 students and a population of 17,000 plus. But alas, we get to wait in line at Subway for 30 minutes and a drive-thru line at McDonald's that stretches up 12th street. BTW, the McDonald's here is a freaking dump. Almost every McDonald's around here has gone through renovations. Not here! They probably couldn't even get the permits approved by the city.
Somerset is in Pulaski County which has 16,000 more people than Calloway. We may have more in the city limits but Murray is more geographically isolated.
The Zodiac

Owensboro, KY

#19 Mar 21, 2013
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
McDonald's serves junk. I'm all for getting restaurants that offer variety and some nutritional value but McDonald's offers nothing but minimum wage jobs and heart disease.
Then here's a novel idea; DON'T EAT THERE! I can see the point flew right over your head. It has nothing to do with the food or it's nutritional value.
The Zodiac

Owensboro, KY

#20 Mar 21, 2013
Old fart wrote:
Here is how Murray works. If you want a new business, well, zoning for one, you have to bribe, er, "make campaign donations" to the right people. If you own a business and want to keep a competitor out, you better make a bigger donation.
The same garbage has been going on in Murray for...well, since I first came here in the 80s.
Attack response from twatwaffle in 3, 2, 1
Exactly! There is a reason why Fazoli's originally wanted to open a restaurant back in the early 2000's and didn't until recently. It has to do with the owner of either Mr Gatti's or Pagliai's. I forget which.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lynn Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mason swift 7 min Jackup 10
wives who cheat 22 min Hmmm 12
court square confederate monument 1 hr Red Pill 39
pos baby daddy 3 hr Factoid 7
hospital bills 4 hr Democrat Liberal 5
Confederate statue on court square 10 hr SMART Azz 73
Wow changes at Security and CPS 23 hr Caseihman42025 1

Lynn Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lynn Grove Mortgages