Sodexo Chefs Engage in Localvore Comp...

Sodexo Chefs Engage in Localvore Competition at 16th Culinary Achievement Forum

Posted in the Lyndonville Forum

Since: Jun 12

Warwick, RI

#1 Aug 13, 2012
ST. JOHNSBURY, VT – Chefs representing 16 colleges recently gathered for Sodexo Northeast Campus Services’16th Annual Culinary Achievement Forum. The 5-day event featured intensive education and a “Localvore Iron Chef Cook-off” punctuating the importance of sourcing local ingredients.
The event was held from July 16-20 at Forum at St. Johnsbury Academy in Vermont and brought together chefs, sous chefs, and cooks representing colleges, universities, and independent schools throughout the Northeast.
“The Culinary Achievement Forum was a great experience and I felt honored to be among such talented chefs,” said Jacob Mitchell, Sous Chef, Sodexo at University of New England in Biddeford, Maine.“I tend to be timid around large groups but everyone there pushed me to break out of my shell. What a great opportunity for any aspiring chef.”
For the cook-off, experienced executive chefs were paired with a sous chef or cook. Teams were given 2.5 hours to prepare an appetizer, entrée, and dessert utilizing a market basket of ingredients and pantry items including chicken from Misty Knoll Farms in Vermont, beef from Northeast Family Farms of New England and striped bass from Red’s Best a partner in Northeast Oceans.
The striped bass was caught at 6 PM on Monday evening and transported for production the next day. Executive Chef Rob MacFarlane, one of the co-chairs of the event, commented “It doesn’t get any fresher than that!”
The winning dish was chosen as a “People’s Choice Award” by 150 advanced placement teachers from around the country who were attending a conference at St Johnsbury Academy.
The winning meal was prepared by Chef Greg Demers of Daniel Webster College. The dish included a first course of black and white sesame crusted local striped bass with carrot star anise puree over bed of baby spinach salad. The winning main course was a local mixed grill of maple soy chicken and sweet chili basted beef with a smoked Gouda and bacon polenta timbale topped with green beans sautéed with kohlrabi.
Highlights of the forum involved recipe creation to stimulate individual innovation and proactive engagement, a wine and food pairing during which instructors reviewed wine tasting basics and how to approach food pairings with special attention to catering operations. There was a focus on global dinner preparation featuring Korean, Indian, and Vietnamese cuisine. Vegan and vegetarian education centered on new foods, innovative dishes, dietary considerations and showcasing new items featured in new Sodexo menus now circulating throughout the region.
"During my time at the forum, I received valuable training and insight on the art of cooking,” said Brian Embry, Sous Chef, Sodexo at University of Massachusetts Boston.“The iron chef competition brought out a creative and innovative side of me that I was excited to identify."
About Sodexo ( www.sodexousa.com )
Responsible corporate citizenship is at the core of Sodexo's business. The company sets the benchmark in areas such as sustainability, diversity and inclusion, wellness, and the fight against hunger. Sodexo recently launched sustainability plan that affects 80 countries, 30,600 sites, and its 380,000 employees called “The Better Tomorrow Plan.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
J.P. Lanctot Sep 16 DrN 1
East Burke Music Selection (Sep '12) Jun '16 Musikologist 12
Vtel (Sep '15) Sep '15 Kirby 1
David and Ann Taylor (Apr '15) Apr '15 Wondering 1
What is bigger in Vermont? (Jan '15) Jan '15 Curious 2
News If the rich are getting richer, what's happenin... (Apr '14) Jan '15 Jaimie 9
News State's jobless rate dips below 4 percent; lawm... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Elmer_J_Fudd 1

Lyndonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lyndonville Mortgages