ABC Agent Involved in Recent Raid has...

ABC Agent Involved in Recent Raid has Troubled Record

There are 57 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 12, 2013, titled ABC Agent Involved in Recent Raid has Troubled Record. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

New documents reveal a troubled record for one of the Alcoholic Beverage Control agents involved in a raid that led to a University of Virginia student's arrest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NormanT

Phoenix, AZ

#42 Jul 14, 2013
To the comments about Brown Shirts I don't think this was in reference to any departments (local or county) I think that was a historical reference to the SA in Nazi Germany.
Hmmmmm

Palmyra, VA

#43 Jul 14, 2013
syne wrote:
I'm a bit confused , where is the sales associate in all of this (where the water and ice cream was purchased? Aren't they suppose to ID the individual before they even get out of the store ? Wouldn't that have prevented all of this ?
??

That's quite irrelevant given that no alcoholic beverages were purchased. The last I knew, you don't need an ID to buy a 12 pack of water.
Kevin

Chester, VA

#44 Jul 14, 2013
syne wrote:
I'm a bit confused , where is the sales associate in all of this (where the water and ice cream was purchased? Aren't they suppose to ID the individual before they even get out of the store ? Wouldn't that have prevented all of this ?
That would apply if the girls had purchased alcohol . Not water
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#45 Jul 14, 2013
Umm wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, to clarify:
The "brownshirts" you refer to are deputies that are part of local sheriff's departments, i.e., they wear brown shirts and khaki-colored pants. In rural counties like Louisa (for example), they are responsible for everything from traffic enforcement to criminal investigations to courtroom security to serving warrants.
In contrast, Albemarle County (like many larger jurisdictions) has two police entities: The Albemarle County Police Department and the Albemarle County Sheriff's Department. The former is responsible for everything but courtroom security and serving civil warrants; those are left to the Sheriff's ("brownshirts") department.
Just wanted to ensure that you understand the difference between the two.
Ok , I think I got it now .
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#47 Jul 14, 2013
NormanT wrote:
To the comments about Brown Shirts I don't think this was in reference to any departments (local or county) I think that was a historical reference to the SA in Nazi Germany.
You betcha fur shure :)

History repeating itself in Central Va .

Thank you
NotPC

Charlottesville, VA

#48 Jul 14, 2013
Jack-booted thugs.

Here's an idea - abolish the ABC. Get the Commonwealth of Virginia out of the retail liquor business. Let the State Police or local police enforce the laws.
Concerned

Forest, VA

#49 Jul 14, 2013
Not surprised. He has always thought he was better than everyone else. If ABC lets this go it will happen again. It's been going on for years but you can only move a person around so much before it catches up with you. So sorry for those girls in Cville.
JMK

Miamisburg, OH

#50 Jul 15, 2013
syne wrote:
With all apologies to Michael Bloomberg, ice cream and cookie dough are not (last I checked) controlled substances requiring proof of age to purchase.
sez you

Richmond, VA

#51 Jul 15, 2013
You know things are getting bad when an explaination of what Brownshirts are.
John Taylor quote 2010

Richmond, VA

#52 Jul 15, 2013
Having government involved in one consumer business, like liquor, Taylor argued, is the start of “a slippery slope and it’s a moral hazard. I just don’t want our government involved in this. I want a small government that I can easily monitor to make sure I know what they’re doing so that I CAN BASH THEM WHEN THEY OVERSTEP THEIR BOUNDS.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/privatizing-a...
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#53 Jul 15, 2013
John Taylor quote 2010 wrote:
Having government involved in one consumer business, like liquor, Taylor argued, is the start of “a slippery slope and it’s a moral hazard. I just don’t want our government involved in this. I want a small government that I can easily monitor to make sure I know what they’re doing so that I CAN BASH THEM WHEN THEY OVERSTEP THEIR BOUNDS.”
http://www.examiner.com/article/privatizing-a...
Good luck with that, their reading these post right now.
I knew it

Charlottesville, VA

#54 Jul 16, 2013
JMK wrote:
<quoted text>
With all apologies to Michael Bloomberg, ice cream and cookie dough are not (last I checked) controlled substances requiring proof of age to purchase.
In NY, I wouldn't be surprised if they regulated the size container of the ice cream and required a notarized clean bill of health from one's physician.
For clarification

Charlottesville, VA

#55 Jul 16, 2013
Legal Eagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Not correct. The Albemarle County sheriff's deputies have MORE power and authority than any Albemarle County police officer has. The deputies have traffic, civil and criminal authority. Wanna test this? Pass one of them on the Interstate and see if you don't get a traffic ticket for 90 mph in a 65 mile per hour zone. Or smack your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend in sight of a county deputy and see what happens. Do you think he/she will stand there, watch and dial 911? Keep thinking that while you are whining out loud about how the deputy put the handcuffs on too you tight. This "all the deputies do is courtroom security and serve papers" thing is so 1970s and 1980s. I also see many of them wearing gray pants and black shirts now, not sure what's up with that.
Um, Legal Eagle, I beg to differ. Why, you ask? Because I worked for the ACPD--not the ACSD--ergo, I know from first-hand experience from whence I speak.

While you are correct inasmuch as an ACSD deputy can *legally* effect a traffic stop for speeding or running a red light or can arrest an individual for domestic assault/abuse if they witness same, they are not--repeat, not--routinely dispatched by the ECC to perform related duties. In Albemarle County, the ACSD's responsibilities lie primarily in the areas of courtroom security and service of civil warrants.

Please again note specific reference to *Albemarle County* v. others jurisdictions.
In more rural counties like Louisa, Green, Nelson, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Orange, etc., you are correct--their sheriff's departments are responsible for criminal, civil and traffic enforcement. In the case of Albemarle County, however, you are incorrect.
For clarification

Charlottesville, VA

#56 Jul 16, 2013
Legal Eagle wrote:
ps - this ABC three ring circus took place in the City of Charlottesville limits. The city also has a police department and a sheriff's office. The deputies in the Charlottesville sheriff's office also have more power than any Charlottesville police officer does, same as stated above in reference to the Albemarle deputies.
For the edification of our readers, Legal Eagle, please define the term "power" as used in the last sentence above.

Like beauty, it may all be in the eyes of the beholder.
ebyn

Charlottesville, VA

#57 Jul 16, 2013
Do we need VABC wrote:
Save Virginia some money. Close the VABC, terminate their employees starting with the head. Real police officers can do the law enforcement, and other agencies that handle licensing can issue liquor licenses. VABC has a corrupt culture that likely cannot be repaired, in my opinion.
ABC's law enforcement duties should be moved to local PD, but privatizing ABC would actually INCREASE the tax burden after a onetime windfall. Eventually, those revenues would have to be made up for in the form of cuts or higher taxes.
sez you

Richmond, VA

#58 Jul 16, 2013
For clarification wrote:
<quoted text>
For the edification of our readers, Legal Eagle, please define the term "power" as used in the last sentence above.
Like beauty, it may all be in the eyes of the beholder.
Just bigger egos, or as big anyway. But thats what cops crave, power, just ask the wife of any.
JOHN WRIGHT

Madison Heights, VA

#59 Aug 3, 2013
The bunch of idiots that made these comments know only what the media has thrown out there for them to gobble up and know nothing about the true facts of the situation. These are typical comments by the anti-police element in this country. All of them should stick to Monday morning quarterbacking the great UVA football team and leave law enforcement alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wandering Aug 11 jackson co 2
Lowes Lies Aug 10 Bad Buisness 1
Lowes False Advertising Aug 10 Bad Buisness 2
Waynesboro Lowes Manager (Oct '14) Aug 9 Awful Boss 8
Help A Sistah Out Aug 2 Ms Missy 1
Eric Nuckoles? (Jun '08) Jun '15 meme 2
News Police Surround Wilson Elementary School (Apr '09) Jun '15 gage adams 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lyndhurst Mortgages