“My 2 Cents Worth”

Since: May 10

Stuarts Draft, Virginia

#246 Jul 1, 2010
Tammy wrote:
I rode thru the campsite over the weekend (June 2010), it was sad to see it so empty and grass unkept, lake was a sad site to see empty, everything was gone but concrete piers, empty beachhouse where all the action was in its hayday, empty as well. We were told that that day the lake was absolutely not going to open back up, very sad thing to hear. I used to go there as a child in the 70's and 80's it was something we did often as day trips and camping weekends, I took my kids there when my family started too, wish it was back to its original splendor for new generations to share. I didnt see anything of interest to draw families in to stay, but close by is Stoney Creek with lots to do, had a great stay there with family.
Tammy,
I invite you to come and camp and give us a chance to get this place back up and running again. We are just getting started here and we need your help to make it better. LOL, sorry about the grass. It was so dry we held off cutting it.

“My 2 Cents Worth”

Since: May 10

Stuarts Draft, Virginia

#247 Jul 1, 2010
Part of my comments were cut off.
the "60 years" part refers to how long it took the Blackas to build the Resort into what it was. It did not take just a year or two. It has taken us two years just to get to where we are now-reclaiming the property from neglect, decay, and vandalism.
Those who are expecting the Campground and all of the property to be totally restored like it was in a season or two are unaware of all that is involved and the total commitment it takes. The property is for sale to anyone who wants to move forward and continue the work. In the meantime, we appreciate your support and help as we are not giving up on the Acres.
^_^

Since: Aug 09

Charlottesville, VA

#248 Jul 6, 2010
Some of my dilemma is that I am not a camper. We never went to the Acres to camp (okay, twice in the early 70's, but not tent camping, RV camping), but my soul love was the lake and bringing a picnic lunch and spend the day (sometimes weekends in the cabins) there. Nothing personal to anyone, but I am not a camper and, therefore, a campground holds no interest to me. It was the lake and the atmosphere there that kept me coming for 40+ years.

“My 2 Cents Worth”

Since: May 10

Stuarts Draft, Virginia

#249 Jul 18, 2010
Sherando Boy wrote:
It is a shame that it had to close. But all those that are damning the Eavers probably never thought that they may have been trying to save it. The liability insurance was so high that it was not profitable as a public business. Why ? Because of the greedy ones that wanted to sue every time they got hurt or some other incident where they could get some easy money. Accidents happen. Get on with life. We did this to ourselves. Stop blaming others. As a private resort, insurance would be a lot less.
Amen. The Blackas, Eavers, Good Faith, LLC - none of these people closed the property. Irresponsible individuals who disobeyed warnings and rules and litigated for THEIR negligence closed the resort. Carrying the liability for that plain, sand bottomed lake TODAY would run into 6 figures each season. EACH SEASON. Add to that amount the cost of utilities, salaries, benefits, other insurances, supplies, food, advertising, maintenance... and the owners are really trying to figure out a way to incorporate the lake back into things for everyone to enjoy without going broke in the process. I personally can't think of anyone willing to pay $25 a head to swim there to offset the costs each season and only possibly then turn a profit. We are looking at some ways to get things up and running, but it will take 1-3 years to get it all turned around. What I want to know is: where is everyone at NOW who need to support us NOW to generate the revenue to help us make this a reality in the future?
Everyone wants this place back up and running? Then it's time to prove it by investing in Shenandoah Acre's future by camping here today.
Benjamin

Elliston, VA

#251 Jul 22, 2010
Tammy wrote:
I rode thru the campsite over the weekend (June 2010), it was sad to see it so empty and grass unkept, lake was a sad site to see empty, everything was gone but concrete piers, empty beachhouse where all the action was in its hayday, empty as well. We were told that that day the lake was absolutely not going to open back up, very sad thing to hear. I used to go there as a child in the 70's and 80's it was something we did often as day trips and camping weekends, I took my kids there when my family started too, wish it was back to its original splendor for new generations to share. I didnt see anything of interest to draw families in to stay, but close by is Stoney Creek with lots to do, had a great stay there with family.
That's pretty inflammatory stuff to say. Here this guy has been explaining his heart out about what is going on and the challenges they face, and you advertize for Stoney Creek? That's cold. I thought most of us were wanting to see Shenandoah Acres back up.
Tammy

AOL

#252 Jul 27, 2010
Benjamin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's pretty inflammatory stuff to say. Here this guy has been explaining his heart out about what is going on and the challenges they face, and you advertize for Stoney Creek? That's cold. I thought most of us were wanting to see Shenandoah Acres back up.
Im not doing any advertising for anyone, just stated the fact of where I stayed and had a great time there. I want Shen. Acres back up and running again too, as I also said, cant help if some people cant accept facts. Its great that people do stay at the acres still, but I didnt see anything there that interested me, and thats my opinion, no one has to like it, as well as I dont agree with everyones post on here, thats others opinions and I respect theirs as well. To each their own, hope Shen. Acres do great things in the future, thats the bottom line to all post.

Since: Aug 09

Charlottesville, VA

#253 Jul 28, 2010
I have to agree with you, Tammy, you stated your opinion and you have that right. I didn't read anything inflammatory in your remarks, just fact. I can't comment because I have not been to SA since it closed. I am not a camping person, unless it is a motor home with A/C, toilet, kitchen, etc. Don't judge me, camping just not my thing, so I doubt SA has anything to offer me at this point as well. I applaud Mike Desper, et al, for trying to make a go of it. I honestly wish Mike and SA much, much success. I think the majority of us would like to see SA up and running as it did in the past, but looks like that's not going to happen, so we have to move on, unless we enjoy camping, then I would say given SA a chance. But again, like you Tammy, simply offering camping is not appealing to me. The way I read your post, you were not advertizing for Stoney Creek, only stating your experience. Don't worry Tammy, you still have the right to your opinion, as do I AND as does Benjamin. Just wanted to let you know I'm in 100% agreement with you and just wanted to add that as much as I wish SA was still there or that it could be restored to what it once was, that's not going to happen, and I have to move on and find other interests. Mike, keep up your good work.
Tammy

AOL

#254 Jul 28, 2010
Thanks Ollymo, Im not a tent person either, and the lake was the primary reason for our family to go there too, we stayed in the rooms in back when we came, I had small babies and toddlers, tenting wasnt our thing,(we stayed in tents before the babies came along). We went lots of days for just day trips and picnics, but when out of state friends came in once or twice a summer we stayed there and we had great times at SA. I too wish them the best and want to see them succeed in their venture to get up and fully running again. Much luck to them.

Since: Aug 09

Charlottesville, VA

#255 Jul 28, 2010
Even when I was a teenager, the couple of times I camped at SA, we were in a Camper. The only two or three times in my life I've slept in a tent, I had "incidences" two of them involved rain the other a bear, so suffice it to say....I'm not a tent camper. We always went for day trips, although we stayed in cabins on a couple of SA adventures. I can still hear the water, the people, the music; I can smell the water and feel the hot sun. I miss SA, but I know that there are somethings that just are, and I'll have to move on to other things.:o)
kps

Lexington, VA

#256 Aug 12, 2010
I understand that the lake and beach house are to be opened by a couple who is leasing the property with the option to buy. Understand that it will never be exactly as you all remember. And I hope that the owners, even though they are "leasing with option to buy" doesn't keep them from being liable if someone gets hurt there. As badly as they have treated Mike the campground manager these past two years, I have no sympathy for them if they get sued. For them, it's been nothing but about the money, even though they've hidden themselves behind the guise of a name like Good Faith, LLC. And as for the couple leasing the property, they are turning out Mike and his children with no job or place to live. Sounds like a good Christian bunch, doesn't it. If you go out there, be safe and use good common sense because it doesn't look like anyone there will be looking out for you now.

“My 2 Cents Worth”

Since: May 10

Stuarts Draft, Virginia

#257 Aug 19, 2010
KPS, in reading what you have posted all I can say is this is a case of "assumption" over some basic facts. While I appreciate your concern, as I was laid off last year, please be assured that my "demise" is not forthcoming. In fact, I am EXCITED at the possibilities that lay in store for this place. I am working with 2 great new team members with lots of energy and ideas. While they may be potential future owners, the facts are simply this: we are working together to reopen parts of the facility and make it more appealing to campers and hopefully to you. The kids and I are fine, these new folks are great, and I encourage you to come see the positive things taking place here. We are planning a big Labor Day Weekend Celebration and I personally want to invite everyone to see for themselves the good things unfolding here.
Foose81

Hampton, VA

#258 Aug 22, 2010
So is the lake and beachouse really re-opening then or what?

“My 2 Cents Worth”

Since: May 10

Stuarts Draft, Virginia

#259 Aug 24, 2010
Foose81 wrote:
So is the lake and beachouse really re-opening then or what?
Foose, there are some changes forthcoming, some of which are not finalized, so I cannot release information that may change. What I am able to say is that:
1. The name Shenandoah Acres has been replaced. The new name for the property is: Mountain Spring RV Resort. If you go to the website, it will redirect you to a new web page. The new site is: www.mountainspring.biz
2. The Lake House will be opened Labor Day Weekend this year and plans will be shared as to the general direction the RV Resort will be headed in.
3. The lake is slated now for rehabilitation. It will not be for swimming. Other swimming amenities are planned in the future.

Everyone is invited to come camp with us Labor Day Weekend and see what changes have taken place and to obtain some new insights as to where things are headed. Reservations are being taken for the weekend.

Since: Aug 09

Charlottesville, VA

#260 Aug 24, 2010
Hey Mike, glad to hear that things are looking up. When you say swimming amenities I assume you are talking either a pool or water park type thing. I guess I just don't know enough about this kind of thing, but why would a pool or water park be less of a liability than a lake?

Personally, I'm really glad the name has changed. I think this is a new enterprise, therefore a new name is in order.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Waynesboro

Troutville, VA

#261 Aug 31, 2010
So, there's not going to be a lake anymore?
Ralphie

Vinton, VA

#262 Sep 3, 2010
Waynesboro wrote:
So, there's not going to be a lake anymore?
Read a couple of paragraphs before your post. They can't remove a lake. It just won't be for swimming. Read earlier posts and you will see why.
The old resort days are over and we need to get over it. I for one, have.
I'm just glad somebody is trying to do something with it. Hope to go camping there soon myself.
Guest

United States

#263 Sep 7, 2010
why can't you just have people sign a liability waiver at the door removing their rights to sue over anything, open the lake and let people zip across it
Ralphie

Harrisonburg, VA

#264 Sep 14, 2010
Guest wrote:
why can't you just have people sign a liability waiver at the door removing their rights to sue over anything, open the lake and let people zip across it
Liability waivers WERE used by the Blackas. I remember signing one there for the horses. They still got sued. They lost money by settling out of court. There is NO guarantee against suing people anymore. The equipment is all gone and it ain't coming back. I'm a local who went swimming there and riding. I went by there over Labor Day weekend. The folks I talked to said the lake was not planned for swimming, but something else. The folks working there don't appear to be interested in a day use place, but a campground. That's ok with me. I'm just glad to see someone opening it back up.
Chris Harman

Waynesboro, VA

#265 Sep 27, 2010
September 2010 update! Shenandoah Acres is officially dead! Someone has bought at least the campground and renamed it so it is no longer SA campground. Not sure if they bought all the property, or are leasing the campground. The only structures remaining at the lake are the diving pier and the original slide pier, along with the old bath house and the new beach house. Anyone with pix should post.
Ralphie

Christiansburg, VA

#266 Oct 2, 2010
Chris Harman wrote:
September 2010 update! Shenandoah Acres is officially dead! Someone has bought at least the campground and renamed it so it is no longer SA campground. Not sure if they bought all the property, or are leasing the campground. The only structures remaining at the lake are the diving pier and the original slide pier, along with the old bath house and the new beach house. Anyone with pix should post.
Why can't everybody get over it and let Shenandoah Acres rest in peace? My God, this is ridiculous. Some folks posting on here need to get a clue and a life. I'm tired of hearing about it. When the Blackas walked away from it in 2004 it "died" then. At least the new people are trying to do something with it instead of letting it grow over. Instead of panicking and griping about the closing of the Acres, why not be thankful that someone else is trying to do something with the property?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
False prophets of Augusta County, Va (Oct '14) Mar '15 JUST ME 4
News Waynesboro Police Investigate Fishburne Militar... (Oct '12) Feb '15 Speakthetruth 27
Royal Orchard Castle (Nov '07) Feb '15 Millie counts 15
Fishersville Dentist Feb '15 Fishersville Dentist 1
Waynesboro Lowes Manager (Oct '14) Jan '15 Great Change 6
News Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Dec '14 stuart Draft 6
Hope clinic (Dec '12) Dec '14 Guess 44
More from around the web

Lyndhurst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]