Gov. McDonnell Announces $29.6M Investment in Augusta Co

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

The Hollister Corporation develops and manufactures medical devices at its plant in Stuarts Draft.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 26, 2013
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#1 Mar 25, 2013
Thank You Hollister .

Hollister is a great company with a great story .

Global company owned by the employees .

Holli-share is an outstanding idea created by Company founder , it has shown for decades at the Stuarts Draft facility.

Well trained employees who work hard to keep something they are an invested part of in an ever changing , competitive global market very productive and profitable.

Amazing people .
sez you

Richmond, VA

#2 Mar 25, 2013
Nice to know that they found a community with a cost of living low enough that employees don't require higher wages. Irland must be an expensive place to live, like Albemarle.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#3 Mar 25, 2013
sez you wrote:
Nice to know that they found a community with a cost of living low enough that employees don't require higher wages. Irland must be an expensive place to live, like Albemarle.
I recently read an article , being brain-dead I cannot remember where.

On average the UVA grad settles in at about 50k a year.

Hollister
Walker
Coors
Merck
In-vista
Alcoa
Nibco

50% or more of the employees in listed facilities KICK the UVA grads *** at the income game when all things are considered.

Add in the cost of 4 years at UVA . UVA can play catch up to the unskilled labor.

Factories may be a different world and often looked down on., Better not overlook the talent they create.

Farmers and Factory workers .

Two of the most overlooked Gems as a resource for improvement in the business.

As for your Albemarle VS Stuarts Draft , why you think I want a lift bridge on Afton .And a BULLDOZER to clean duhlaneys eyesore off the top. We gonna sell Va made products up ther to you easties, check your passports and make sure you go back home after we take your money.

You people are getting smart , car-pooling from this side of the mountain to your high paying jobs ,living like you got a handful of Yankee money .

Night and Day from crime to cost of living and you never wait in traffic. Southern Exposure is always the right choice of the Blue Ridge.:)

sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Mar 25, 2013
randomthoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
I recently read an article , being brain-dead I cannot remember where.
On average the UVA grad settles in at about 50k a year.
Hollister
Walker
Coors
Merck
In-vista
Alcoa
Nibco
50% or more of the employees in listed facilities KICK the UVA grads *** at the income game when all things are considered.
Add in the cost of 4 years at UVA . UVA can play catch up to the unskilled labor.
Factories may be a different world and often looked down on., Better not overlook the talent they create.
Farmers and Factory workers .
Two of the most overlooked Gems as a resource for improvement in the business.
As for your Albemarle VS Stuarts Draft , why you think I want a lift bridge on Afton .And a BULLDOZER to clean duhlaneys eyesore off the top. We gonna sell Va made products up ther to you easties, check your passports and make sure you go back home after we take your money.
You people are getting smart , car-pooling from this side of the mountain to your high paying jobs ,living like you got a handful of Yankee money .
Night and Day from crime to cost of living and you never wait in traffic. Southern Exposure is always the right choice of the Blue Ridge.:)
I've commented on that guys eyesore on Afton I don't know how many times, How does he get away with it? Anywhere else and officials would declare it decrepit and have him pay for demolition. As for UVA grads? right, I'm gonna hire a UVA physics grad over an MIT grad? don't think so.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Mar 25, 2013
@ Sez

OMG , I have never understood why people haven’t approach Delaney about crowd sourcing and cleaning that area UP .

Swansdown also .

But I have , several convos over the years , decades really. I have all but begged to let me develop the top of Afton , Clean it up , bring back what has been damaged and put a common area for local artist and Virginia made products , ITS TIME , I used to ice- skate at the old inn when I was little , ITS A BLIGHT. I too in a way wish it was savable . None of it is but Swannanoah . OMG , Swannanoah , I have been over every inch of her , roof to basement and every secret passage … Swananoah is a work of ART !

I wish I could say the guy was just a jerk.

In his own way , he's not . He is like me , he is attached and can't afford the upkeep . Swannaoh alone is MASSIVE , 2 mil just to keep it from falling down in the last few years.

I know where he is coming from with afraid to give up control … He has attachment for the right reasons .

If he was worried about money , a for sale sign would retire the Man until 150 years old , he knows it .

I have tried , can't get him to budge. I wanna fix it up and give it back to Neslon running in the black and serves itself. The whole top of the mountain …

Not cell towers to help keep the place from falling down for the rent.

But I understand his position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swannanoa_ (mansion)
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Mar 25, 2013
randomthoughts wrote:
@ Sez
OMG , I have never understood why people haven’t approach Delaney about crowd sourcing and cleaning that area UP .
Swansdown also .
But I have , several convos over the years , decades really. I have all but begged to let me develop the top of Afton , Clean it up , bring back what has been damaged and put a common area for local artist and Virginia made products , ITS TIME , I used to ice- skate at the old inn when I was little , ITS A BLIGHT. I too in a way wish it was savable . None of it is but Swannanoah . OMG , Swannanoah , I have been over every inch of her , roof to basement and every secret passage … Swananoah is a work of ART !
I wish I could say the guy was just a jerk.
In his own way , he's not . He is like me , he is attached and can't afford the upkeep . Swannaoh alone is MASSIVE , 2 mil just to keep it from falling down in the last few years.
I know where he is coming from with afraid to give up control … He has attachment for the right reasons .
If he was worried about money , a for sale sign would retire the Man until 150 years old , he knows it .
I have tried , can't get him to budge. I wanna fix it up and give it back to Neslon running in the black and serves itself. The whole top of the mountain …
Not cell towers to help keep the place from falling down for the rent.
But I understand his position.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swannanoa_ (mansion)
Afton is the gateway to the west, should be worth millions, could you imagine what could be developed up there? Everything. But noooooooooooo, we have to live with an eyesore, worst part? visitors come here from all over and thats the first thing they see. One of my points being that many who might wonder down to Waynesboro get back in their cars and just keep heading west. Makes no sense, for the owner or the state to let this go on. Condemn it.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Mar 26, 2013
Sez you , I hear you . Have you seen the new story up :)

We have to be careful , yes it can be developed. All the man has to do is get a team of lawyers and a for sale sign . It's in two different counties.

He did one time , A developer from Texas was all over that place in 2008 , anybody remember the small planes for several days just swooping all over that area. They were doing aerial assessment with engineers. Dulaney owns half off Afton Mountain. He would never say what the developer was up to , he did say one time that just the inn at afton area was worth 100K a month in cell and data towers on a land lease.

Afton is an amazing place. I don't want to scare the guy into selling out to the highest forieghn bidder and all hell break lose.

He can do it , but there is a better way .

Nice quality architecture and a huge common area with small wind turbine and solar to pay for electricity, supply water to restrooms.. Nice wooden pavilions for the people and both counties to give back to the community is what I have been talking to him about since 1991 , he likes the idea but he doesn’t want to give up ownership for sentimental reasons , it's common with property like that , Farmer hate to give up their family farms . But it comes to a point , you only live once... why not grab the cash and run . Upkeep of large farms or property like Dulaney has is very expensive.

I don't like the idea of threats and the state getting involved . At the first threat from the county or State If I was Dulaney , I would start hiring lawyers and selling it off by the acre until I had the top of Afton looking like a trailer park from hell filled with 300 month renters. 100's of them .

Cell towers alone would make for great conversation starters . TONS OF THEM right with the trailers.

He has already started . Check it out when you cross the mountain .

The man has land rights back to the KING .

and he knows it !
Lone Justice

Waynesboro, VA

#8 Mar 26, 2013
Don't know why this went from the Draft to Afton Mt.?But #1 we need to keep jobs here at home both in the county,state and nation. And #2 Afton Mt. needs to be delt with soon and the sooner the better. It's time Dulaney let go of the past. Afton is an eye sore and Nelson & Augusta Co. Sups need to step in and do something together for the good of both counties.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Mar 26, 2013
randomthoughts wrote:
Sez you , I hear you . Have you seen the new story up :)
We have to be careful , yes it can be developed. All the man has to do is get a team of lawyers and a for sale sign . It's in two different counties.
He did one time , A developer from Texas was all over that place in 2008 , anybody remember the small planes for several days just swooping all over that area. They were doing aerial assessment with engineers. Dulaney owns half off Afton Mountain. He would never say what the developer was up to , he did say one time that just the inn at afton area was worth 100K a month in cell and data towers on a land lease.
Afton is an amazing place. I don't want to scare the guy into selling out to the highest forieghn bidder and all hell break lose.
He can do it , but there is a better way .
Nice quality architecture and a huge common area with small wind turbine and solar to pay for electricity, supply water to restrooms.. Nice wooden pavilions for the people and both counties to give back to the community is what I have been talking to him about since 1991 , he likes the idea but he doesn’t want to give up ownership for sentimental reasons , it's common with property like that , Farmer hate to give up their family farms . But it comes to a point , you only live once... why not grab the cash and run . Upkeep of large farms or property like Dulaney has is very expensive.
I don't like the idea of threats and the state getting involved . At the first threat from the county or State If I was Dulaney , I would start hiring lawyers and selling it off by the acre until I had the top of Afton looking like a trailer park from hell filled with 300 month renters. 100's of them .
Cell towers alone would make for great conversation starters . TONS OF THEM right with the trailers.
He has already started . Check it out when you cross the mountain .
The man has land rights back to the KING .
and he knows it !
I follow but I would hope either county would have a BAR and planning comm. to keep things apropo. Either way its a disaster now, he must know that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Isle Ave neighbors from hell 20 hr sleep deprived 1
Crimora man charged with attempted murder (Jun '13) Aug 20 Ole yeah 4
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Royal Orchard Castle (Nov '07) Jun '14 hollie 14
Shenandoah Acres???? (Jun '06) Jun '14 female 278
Hope clinic (Dec '12) Jun '14 Dear SCREWED 41
Police Look for Marijuana Bust Suspect (Apr '13) May '14 joe animal 9
•••
•••
Lyndhurst Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lyndhurst Jobs

•••