Waynesboro Airport Told to Stop Grass...

Waynesboro Airport Told to Stop Grass Landings

There are 11 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Apr 29, 2013, titled Waynesboro Airport Told to Stop Grass Landings. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The state says the Eagle's Nest Airport in Waynesboro must stop allowing gliders and antique aircraft to land in grassy areas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

employed home owner

United States

#1 Apr 30, 2013
Hello....They are taxing places in Md because they have too much pavement and rain runoff. They have to pay a rain tax.
Are these people nuts ? Randall needs a new project
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Apr 30, 2013
a solution in search of a problem...
Captain Obvious

Waynesboro, VA

#3 Apr 30, 2013
Well, the glider traffic will be flying away to other FBOs. Who'd risk damaging their plane on

Runway 6/24
Dimensions: 2004 x 50 ft./ 611 x 15 m
Surface: asphalt, in poor condition
Top Flight

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Apr 30, 2013
I have taken off and landed restored Cubs, Pipers and the like from that Airport and though maybe not a licensed turf runway, it is very useable and stable to land on and take off. I wonder what will happen if we just continue to use it? In fact, just who was it that said something to the "authorities" anyway?

Tempe, AZ

#5 Apr 30, 2013
Yet another way to intrude on our daily chore of living.

Hillsville, VA

#6 Apr 30, 2013
I'm from the government and I'm here to help you...shut it down or else.....Governor McDonnell needs to give this department head the boot...Randall is a jerk...
sez you

Richmond, VA

#7 Apr 30, 2013
Heaven forbid the gubment should allow people to enjoy themselves.
TL in Cville

Midlothian, VA

#8 Apr 30, 2013
I took a scenic flyover taking off and landing from the grassy runway and had no fear. This is the state trying to make money anywhere they can. Eagles Nest is proud of their runway and should be! This is a battle that needs to be fought!

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Apr 30, 2013
You can't operate a patch of naturally occurring grass as a runway! You have to pay a licensing fee before you can do that!

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Apr 30, 2013
"Burdette says the airport would need a separate licensed turf runway that would have to meet state requirements. The airport also could improve conditions on the regular runway so gliders could land there.
Eagle's Nest Owner Mike Fogle says adding a turf runway would be cost prohibitive."

Gee, planned parenthood deja vu .
French Dip

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 30, 2013
Sailplane (glider) pilots prefer grass landings to hard surfaces in consideration of the aircraft. There is no problem in Arizona, California, New York, Florida to name a few. Sailplanes have one wheel or a skid to use in landing. When the landing comes to a halt the sailplane tilts over and slides along for a short distance. Eagle's Nest has been in use for many years. Why now is there a problem. Make it a private facility and sell shares in a LLC company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wandering Aug '15 jackson co 2
Lowes Lies Aug '15 Bad Buisness 1
Lowes False Advertising Aug '15 Bad Buisness 2
Waynesboro Lowes Manager (Oct '14) Aug '15 Awful Boss 8
Help A Sistah Out Aug '15 Ms Missy 1
Eric Nuckoles? (Jun '08) Jun '15 meme 2
News Police Surround Wilson Elementary School (Apr '09) Jun '15 gage adams 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lyndhurst Mortgages