Boy Helps Keep His Brother Safe, Secu...

Boy Helps Keep His Brother Safe, Secure During Police Chase

There are 22 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 6, 2013, titled Boy Helps Keep His Brother Safe, Secure During Police Chase. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Earlier this week two wanted men led police on a car chase from Waynesboro to Albemarle County with five children in the car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
obama

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jun 7, 2013
Set my children free!
ProudOfYou

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jun 7, 2013
What a great story! Could happen to any of us and he definitely thought of protecting his little brother. He deserves to be honored!
Fark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#3 Jun 7, 2013
Ok.... Am I understanding this... You wanna honor the spawn of thugs who could care less about society and others using the roads?
Reality Check..How about teaching the boys that holding on to carriers or laying on the back floor does NOTHING to keep you safe from flying out of a moving vehicle at over 80mph...
Just like women who's children sit on their laps in a moving vehicle...
I think the lesson should be..you could die running away from the Police..
This kid will get heckled for even talking to the police...Because obviously.. the household doen't care abouth their welfare..and neither does the so called "Mother" in this article..
A tough lesson needs to be taught... because the way they are heading...it may too late to have a chance to learn it.
\
hondacivic

Floyd, VA

#4 Jun 7, 2013
Fark wrote:
Ok.... Am I understanding this... You wanna honor the spawn of thugs who could care less about society and others using the roads?
Reality Check..How about teaching the boys that holding on to carriers or laying on the back floor does NOTHING to keep you safe from flying out of a moving vehicle at over 80mph...
Just like women who's children sit on their laps in a moving vehicle...
I think the lesson should be..you could die running away from the Police..
This kid will get heckled for even talking to the police...Because obviously.. the household doen't care abouth their welfare..and neither does the so called "Mother" in this article..
A tough lesson needs to be taught... because the way they are heading...it may too late to have a chance to learn it.
\
Are you serious or just a moron. Like the kids in the car had any control over the situation. If you read the article, he couldn't get the seatbelt to work so he did what he thought would be the next best thing. What do you expect from an 8 year old? You are correct about the father putting his kids and possibly innocent motorist on the roads. But it takes a special person to put blame on an innocent kid caught in a situation. That's like blaming the bank teller for going to work and getting shot during a robbery.
hondacivic

Floyd, VA

#5 Jun 7, 2013
*putting his kids and innocent motorists in danger.
Question

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jun 7, 2013
hondacivic wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious or just a moron. Like the kids in the car had any control over the situation. If you read the article, he couldn't get the seatbelt to work so he did what he thought would be the next best thing. What do you expect from an 8 year old? You are correct about the father putting his kids and possibly innocent motorist on the roads. But it takes a special person to put blame on an innocent kid caught in a situation. That's like blaming the bank teller for going to work and getting shot during a robbery.
Where does it say that it was the boys' father who was driving.
hondacivic

Floyd, VA

#7 Jun 7, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say that it was the boys' father who was driving.
It was stated in a different article. Three of children in the car were the driver's kids. The boy in this article was not related to the driver.

On Thursday, Albemarle police released the relationship of the children in the car to the two men in custody. All five of the children in the vehicle were male. The 10-year-old and 8-year-old had no relation to either arrestee. The 1, 3, and 4-year-olds were all sons of Shannon Burton.
A Mom 2

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jun 7, 2013
Aww that is so sweet of this 8 year old boy. He needs a hero's metal. The real story here is THANK GOD all of the children are OK and the driver didn't kill anyone in the car or out. No-one cares about the mother or who the father is. Bravo little boy :)
Fark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#10 Jun 7, 2013
Mom2- You speak for everyone when you pull out that gem;'"No-one cares about the mother or who the father is." Some of us people do..that's why it's called "News"
Question

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jun 7, 2013
Fark wrote:
Infamous...gets more attention, acolades and rewards heaped on them by today's press & society- Like the President making a personal telephone call thanking a Pro Basketball player who came out of the closet on his bravery..
Famous- boring and dying in droves to protect this nation...Did any of the recently gravely wounded in battle get a personal telephone call from the President , thanking them for their bravery?
Who do you think these kids are going to look up or emulate?
Bad behavior is nearly all forgiven and rewarded nowadays..right Kobe? Big Ben? Mr. Vick?..and the list goes on and in the minds & eyes of young kids including the adult caregivers they watched go to jail. Why would the Mother of this child knowing let her kids get a vehicle with two fugitives is mind boggling. The apple don't fall from the tree.they need intervention.
PS.. Hondacivic - Only if the teller was in on it and her accomplices decided they didn't want to share..
Shame! You don't have all the facts and don't have all the answers. Maybe the first step toward intervention and providing good role models for these children to emulate is what the police are doing by praising this young man for his selfless act of protecting his brother.
And the answer to you question ~ Yes! I'm sure the President has made phone calls to the gravely wounded in battle thanking them for their bravely.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#12 Jun 7, 2013
Fark wrote:
Infamous...gets more attention, acolades and rewards heaped on them by today's press & society- Like the President making a personal telephone call thanking a Pro Basketball player who came out of the closet on his bravery..
Famous- boring and dying in droves to protect this nation...Did any of the recently gravely wounded in battle get a personal telephone call from the President , thanking them for their bravery?
Who do you think these kids are going to look up or emulate?
Bad behavior is nearly all forgiven and rewarded nowadays..right Kobe? Big Ben? Mr. Vick?..and the list goes on and in the minds & eyes of young kids including the adult caregivers they watched go to jail. Why would the Mother of this child knowing let her kids get a vehicle with two fugitives is mind boggling. The apple don't fall from the tree.they need intervention.
PS.. Hondacivic - Only if the teller was in on it and her accomplices decided they didn't want to share..
There are plenty of people who have come from very rough situations and turn out to be very productive people. I grew up in a household with an alcoholic. I can't remember a day without them being drunk. So does that mean I'm an alcoholic? I can honestly say I've never been drunk in 33 years. I can't even stand the smell of alcohol. So you can save your bad apples for someone else.
faith

Altavista, VA

#13 Jun 8, 2013
@Fark when you learn the facts then you can speak on the mother. From what I know the mother is a hard working woman. And thats all am going to say for now . Continue to look at the news maybe you will learn something lol.
Citizen Kanye

Falls Church, VA

#14 Jun 8, 2013
Next week on babydaddys gone craycray
central va marine

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jun 8, 2013
Certainly the child, Chavis, deserves lots of praise for what he did for his brother, that is more than I can say for the officers who started and participated in the chase.

If I understand the situation, the police knew that there were children in the suspect vehicle. Did any adult in that car threaten the children in any way? Were the children in any danger of losing their lives BEFORE the chase began? A educated, mature, experienced police officer would have called off the reckless chase and waited for another day to make the arrest.

I am normally an unqualified supporter of our Police Departments and the tough, gut wrenching job they do every day, but sometimes even the supporters have a responsibility to speak out. I was not there, but as an observer it appears as though the adrenaline took over the rational thinking of the officials, and these children were put into unnecessary danger.

IF THERE IS A NEXT TIME, THINK BEFORE YOU CHASE !!!

more to come
Fark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Jun 8, 2013
faith wrote:
@Fark when you learn the facts then you can speak on the mother. From what I know the mother is a hard working woman. And thats all am going to say for now . Continue to look at the news maybe you will learn something lol.
And so can you....There are hard working murderers, rapists, pedophiles, child abusers, bad parents in society too. Maybe you just got schooled..*ding* ding* ding*

Just because someone has a 9-5 doesn't make them a good Parent..it just makes them a good Employee...
Fark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Jun 8, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Shame! You don't have all the facts and don't have all the answers. Maybe the first step toward intervention and providing good role models for these children to emulate is what the police are doing by praising this young man for his selfless act of protecting his brother.
And the answer to you question ~ Yes! I'm sure the President has made phone calls to the gravely wounded in battle thanking them for their bravely.
THey don't report that in the press...do they? Military lives are not newsworthy to these hacks..

Shame? Why should that be... I lost a leg in '91 during the 1st Gulf war...don't preach to me about shame..
Fark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#18 Jun 8, 2013
hondacivic wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of people who have come from very rough situations and turn out to be very productive people. I grew up in a household with an alcoholic. I can't remember a day without them being drunk. So does that mean I'm an alcoholic? I can honestly say I've never been drunk in 33 years. I can't even stand the smell of alcohol. So you can save your bad apples for someone else.
You could use those bad apples to make Schnapps! Being a acoholic..you can get away from that life when you grow up...being a crimnal..and glorifying that...well..it's a bit hard to get away when you are locked up..it called a record...
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#19 Jun 8, 2013
Fark wrote:
<quoted text> You could use those bad apples to make Schnapps! Being a acoholic..you can get away from that life when you grow up...being a crimnal..and glorifying that...well..it's a bit hard to get away when you are locked up..it called a record...
Your thinking is narrow minded at best. The story was about him protecting his little brother in a high speed chase that he had nothing to do with. I don't believe it said anything about him driving the car or doing anything criminal. To just assume that he is destined to grow up as a criminal is sad. Try getting out more and meeting people.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

#20 Jun 8, 2013
Fark wrote:
<quoted text> THey don't report that in the press...do they? Military lives are not newsworthy to these hacks..
Shame? Why should that be... I lost a leg in '91 during the 1st Gulf war...don't preach to me about shame..
I hope you don't have any childrem. By your line of thought, your kids are going to have their legs blown off.
Wayne

Stuarts Draft, VA

#21 Jun 8, 2013
Again for the life of me I do not understand high speed chases. It is a stupid risk of inquiring innocent people. Now, if the authorities knew there were young children in this vehicle I think they need charges also for endangering.
I am aware there are times when it may be necessary to chase but when it is of this nature then it is a bad judgement call. Those guys would be picked up sooner or later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thinking of moving to Waynesboro, getting away ... (Dec '14) Mar '17 Hannah Goodman 5
News Augusta Sheriff Investigating Late Night Shooting (Sep '10) Mar '17 reflections 87
panhandlers by hospital (Feb '14) Feb '17 Morg 10
New? Feb '17 Aaaabbc 1
have you seen this man? (Jan '12) Feb '17 Dabs 3
Natascha Knick- September Circle trash Feb '17 Tim 2
IF someone has my full name, phone number, date... (Dec '13) Dec '13 alfredatuognstana... 2

Lyndhurst Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lyndhurst Mortgages