Man Hit by SUV on Whitehead Road

Man Hit by SUV on Whitehead Road

There are 64 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 18, 2013, titled Man Hit by SUV on Whitehead Road. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Emergency crews rushed the victim to the UVA Medical Center, but the man does not appear to have severe injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

MCM

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Mar 21, 2013
The fact that most of you are turning this into a power trip of who can write the wittiest comment is pretty disappointing. An unbelievably smart, kind, friendly, 18 year old was hit by an SUV and ended up in the hospital. Whose fault it was is for the police to decide, not us. At least be respectful of the fact that we're talking about a human here, a human that ended up in the hospital with serious injuries.
UVA 1st Year

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Mar 21, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>just because he was in a cross walk doesn't mean he was in the right. Students just talk to one another text an do everything else but look both ways to make sure it's safe to walk, STOP assuming people driving see you an use a little common sense an look before entering the street.
Actually, it does mean that he was in the right, as he wasn't at a four-way intersection, but rather the crosswalk by whitehead road. The law in Virginia, and as a person from Williamsburg, aka William and Mary, I have grown up with this, is
46.2-924. Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs; penalty.
A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:
1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any blocke
UVAStudent

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Mar 21, 2013
I grew up in the area and now attend the University of Virginia. Yes, the area is flooded with pedestrians, but what else would you expect at a University?

I think many should take note that pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks.

Please drive carefully around the University. Just because we're sometimes aggressive crosswalk-walkers does not mean that we think we "own this town." However, the University has always been a central part of Charlottesville, and the students have their place here as well.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Mar 21, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>just because he was in a cross walk doesn't mean he was in the right.
Yes it does.
You should go turn in your drivers license immediately as you are an unsafe driver.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Mar 21, 2013
Disillusioned wrote:
<quoted text>
people need to realize you cannot stop cars on a dime -- especially with little warning. With so many pedestrians on sidewalks, watching out for someone who takes an abrupt turn into a crosswalk does not give drivers sufficient time to react.
If you see lots of pedestrians & crosswalks slow down.
If you hit someone in a crosswalk, it is absolutely your fault & I hope you are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Mar 21, 2013
70s Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd bet this lesson will be remembered forever.....look both ways and determine if the driver actually sees you prior to bounding into traffic thinking that the Zebra Strips will protect you. And just so you know, your "student attitude" will get you in trouble fast...the city and the roadways were here long before UVA existed. You can continue being the center of your and your mother's universe, just don't assume you are the center of anyone else's.
It's not the 70's anymore dumba$$. Learn the rules of the road. Pedestrians have the right of way.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Mar 21, 2013
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
Pedestrians shouldn't be jumping out into crosswalks thinking cars can stop on a dime for them and look before they cross and Cars should travel at the posted speed limit in heavy-pedestrian zone.
If you hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk it is your fault. Every time. No exceptions.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Mar 21, 2013
If anyone *really* wants to risk their life at a crosswalk, spend some time on the crosswalk between the Omni & the McDonald's.
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Mar 21, 2013
SpiderCat wrote:
If anyone *really* wants to risk their life at a crosswalk, spend some time on the crosswalk between the Omni & the McDonald's.
Maybe for you a better overall assesment of who is right/wrong/when/where can help. Ask yourself this; can I really expect anything good to come from being hit by a moving bumper?
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#30 Mar 21, 2013
UVAStudent wrote:
I grew up in the area and now attend the University of Virginia. Yes, the area is flooded with pedestrians, but what else would you expect at a University?
I think many should take note that pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks.
Please drive carefully around the University. Just because we're sometimes aggressive crosswalk-walkers does not mean that we think we "own this town." However, the University has always been a central part of Charlottesville, and the students have their place here as well.
LOL only someone who grew up in this area could be so brain damaged.

That is practically the definition of thinking you "own the town". Hope you don't breed before you walk out carelessly into traffic.
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#31 Mar 21, 2013
SpiderCat wrote:
I've crossed it many times (at least 100), it was safer BEFORE they put the stupid crosswalk in because everyone was sure who had the right of way. Now it's a guessing game of will traffic get up to speed or not before some entitled prick decides it's his God given right to cross on his terms.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Mar 21, 2013
King Confusion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've crossed it many times (at least 100), it was safer BEFORE they put the stupid crosswalk in because everyone was sure who had the right of way. Now it's a guessing game of will traffic get up to speed or not before some entitled prick decides it's his God given right to cross on his terms.
I've crossed it more than that.
The pricks are the ones driving and not stopping.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#33 Mar 21, 2013
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe for you a better overall assesment of who is right/wrong/when/where can help. Ask yourself this; can I really expect anything good to come from being hit by a moving bumper?
Who is "right/wrong/when/where " is quite clear.
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#34 Mar 21, 2013
SpiderCat wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is "right/wrong/when/where " is quite clear.
If you're a retard who doesn't mind getting disemboweled to prove his sticklership of the rules. Probably much like the subject of the story.
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

#35 Mar 21, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're a retard who doesn't mind getting disemboweled to prove his sticklership of the rules. Probably much like the subject of the story.
Your time is has the same value as mine...what makes you think that 4 lanes of traffic should stop while you amble across the street? You can just as easily wait a moment until the way is clear and than cross.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#36 Mar 21, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
The student hit by an SUV in the middle of a crosswalk is a "retard who doesn't mind getting disemboweled to prove his sticklership of the rules." ?

I'm not a fan of the word 'retard' but it does suit you.
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#37 Mar 21, 2013
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Your time is has the same value as mine...what makes you think that 4 lanes of traffic should stop while you amble across the street? You can just as easily wait a moment until the way is clear and than cross.
Because a pedestrian has more to lose should the collision happen, moron. Do you like to go slowly in front of a tractor trailer going downhill? Maybe you should try doing it often and let us know how it goes.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#38 Mar 21, 2013
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Your time is has the same value as mine...what makes you think that 4 lanes of traffic should stop while you amble across the street?
The crosswalk, Einstein.
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
You can just as easily wait a moment until the way is clear and than cross.
I don't think you really understand this whole 'crosswalk' thing. Maybe some remedial training at the DMV would be good for you.

Or just stop driving.
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#39 Mar 21, 2013
Oops, nm, misread, this time I'm the moron. :)
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

#40 Mar 21, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
Oops, nm, misread, this time I'm the moron.:)
Sorry to confuse....I posted on your comment but directed to Spider.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Department Corrections Feb 7 Failed Leadership 1
toy store Jan '18 new 1
IF someone has my full name, phone number, date... (Dec '13) Dec '13 alfredatuognstana... 2
Yahoo is asking me for a new e-mail,is this a s... (Dec '13) Dec '13 wekyvinemel 2
Favorite bank and least favorite bank?!?!? (Dec '13) Dec '13 xusydofevid 2
Is now a good time to buy a house or condo? (Dec '13) Dec '13 xikatakovixa 2
Anyone try lifelock? (Dec '13) Dec '13 guraxegebym 2

Lyndhurst Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lyndhurst Mortgages