Man Hit by SUV on Whitehead Road

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Emergency crews rushed the victim to the UVA Medical Center, but the man does not appear to have severe injuries.
Comments
1 - 20 of 64 Comments Last updated Mar 26, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kate

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

This is happening all over Charlottesville and albemarle county. People walking in the street and not crosswalkes, thinking people see them and won't hit them.. I had a girl walk in front of me the other day while texting.. Come on.. Some of these people need to be held accountable .. Don't we have jay walking laws here .. Are the police doing anything about this? This affects the drivers of the vehicle too . Even if they are not injured physically.
UVa Student

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

I live in the same dorm as the guy who was hit. He is actually hurt pretty bad. People barreling down the street we live on in massive SUVs clearly need to SLOW DOWN. This is our University. You are allowed to drive through it, but you need to yield to the students who attend school here.
Colburn

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Kate,

He was in the crosswalk. Think about that next time.
Macklemore

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Kate you should hit the next person who jaywalks in front of your car to teach them a lesson! That is, if you can withstand the emotional trauma you'll suffer (this is probably the only potential reason I would say that's a bad idea).
Really

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Colburn wrote:
Kate,
just because he was in a cross walk doesn't mean he was in the right. Students just talk to one another text an do everything else but look both ways to make sure it's safe to walk, STOP assuming people driving see you an use a little common sense an look before entering the street.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>just because he was in a cross walk doesn't mean he was in the right. Students just talk to one another text an do everything else but look both ways to make sure it's safe to walk, STOP assuming people driving see you an use a little common sense an look before entering the street.
I agree. Students often step out into a crosswalk without looking -- without any hesitation. I'm sorry that this student (or anyone) has been injured, but people need to realize you cannot stop cars on a dime -- especially with little warning. With so many pedestrians on sidewalks, watching out for someone who takes an abrupt turn into a crosswalk does not give drivers sufficient time to react.

This location is rift with jaywalkers as well as the most popular parking is across the street from the facility. In addition, this street is a popular route when the gates are down on McCormick and it is a busy street.
70s Student

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

UVa Student wrote:
I live in the same dorm as the guy who was hit. He is actually hurt pretty bad. People barreling down the street we live on in massive SUVs clearly need to SLOW DOWN. This is our University. You are allowed to drive through it, but you need to yield to the students who attend school here.
I'd bet this lesson will be remembered forever.....look both ways and determine if the driver actually sees you prior to bounding into traffic thinking that the Zebra Strips will protect you. And just so you know, your "student attitude" will get you in trouble fast...the city and the roadways were here long before UVA existed. You can continue being the center of your and your mother's universe, just don't assume you are the center of anyone else's.
Be sensitive

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

I realize that UVA is notorious for its jaywalking and less-than-aware pedestrians, but if drivers are aware of this, shouldn't they take that in mind when driving around grounds by driving more cautiously? We can moan and complain (believe me, I hate driving around grounds as well), but because I know that students are rushing to class and what not, I make sure to drive slowly, take extra care of pedestrians and the possibility that they may cross the street at any moment. Because when it boils down to it, I'd rather drive a little slower than harm somebody else
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

UVa Student wrote:
You have got to be kidding. You are here for two to four years and you are gone and you think you own it. WELL let me tell you a thing or two and maybe you will get a life when you move out and with this kind of thinking the faster you go the better Charlottesville will be. Tax payers keep the roads up and who is tax payers? WELL let me tell you anyone who lives in Charlottesville and they have as much right to run up and down the road as much as walkers do. Tha law needs to creack down on the JAY WALKERS and just maybe you all will think before you leap out in front of a car. If I knew who you are and I seen you coming I would walk out in front of you just to sue you because I think like you I OWN THIS TOWN. WELL get a life it is everyone town who lives here so put your head between you legs and go on out of here soon. Not hateing just saying. Think before you say anything because I don't think no one owns any street in this town but Charlottesville. If you own it then put up a sign to stay out and see how far that goes. Watch Dumb and Dumer and look at your life for a change.
King Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Be sensitive wrote:
I realize that UVA is notorious for its jaywalking and less-than-aware pedestrians, but if drivers are aware of this, shouldn't they take that in mind when driving around grounds by driving more cautiously? We can moan and complain (believe me, I hate driving around grounds as well), but because I know that students are rushing to class and what not, I make sure to drive slowly, take extra care of pedestrians and the possibility that they may cross the street at any moment. Because when it boils down to it, I'd rather drive a little slower than harm somebody else
LOL so you have some people ready to slam on the brakes at any moment and other people who are not ready for that reaction. That's a great way for accidents to happen and standstill the already clogged up roadway system.

The only way to prevent things like this from happening is for BOTH parties to not only be aware, but actually observe their situations and plan accordingly. I've seen just as many idiots walk out in front of vehicles mindlessly as I have distracted drivers on cell phones. UVA students are obviously less experienced on the roadways, and overall tend to be a little more self absorbed. Observe, THINK, then plan. No other shortcut.
Be sensitive

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

King Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL so you have some people ready to slam on the brakes at any moment and other people who are not ready for that reaction. That's a great way for accidents to happen and standstill the already clogged up roadway system.
The only way to prevent things like this from happening is for BOTH parties to not only be aware, but actually observe their situations and plan accordingly. I've seen just as many idiots walk out in front of vehicles mindlessly as I have distracted drivers on cell phones. UVA students are obviously less experienced on the roadways, and overall tend to be a little more self absorbed. Observe, THINK, then plan. No other shortcut.
I understand and agree that UVA students should be more cautious as well. But you essentially just agreed with my statement that drivers also need to exercise more caution. Like you said, BOTH parties need to be more careful.

Also, I think that we should stop portraying students as leaping in front of cars and drivers as barreling down roads. Sensationalism won't get us anywhere
King Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Be sensitive wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand and agree that UVA students should be more cautious as well. But you essentially just agreed with my statement that drivers also need to exercise more caution. Like you said, BOTH parties need to be more careful.
Also, I think that we should stop portraying students as leaping in front of cars and drivers as barreling down roads. Sensationalism won't get us anywhere
No, you obviously can't read.

I said idiots need to start thinking and anticipate what happens if they do something, and not be distracted. Smart drivers and smart pedestrians already do this and don't mow anyone down or get in the path of a multiton hunk of moving metal. Being "careful" means being unnecessarily cautious - while this is not enough by itself, it is also inconvenient to the other people around you who must not only account for their own environment, but for your irrational idiocy.

UVA students ARE worse drivers and pedestrians than more experienced people. That's not a slight, that's a fact of life being that they've logged less time. Again, denying this will only cause more irrational decisions down the line, and the fact you're approaching it from this manner means you're probably not the brightest yourself. At least they have the excuse of inexperience, what's yours?
Visitor

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

I have visited that school for the past 5 years! I always give pedestrians "the right of way!" They are there to earn their education and if they want to text while walking in the crosswalk, well that is their business. Maybe, YOU should slow your vehicle down because "IF" you hit someone while in the crosswalk, that shows you are either speeding, OR, you failed to obey the sign "STOP AT ALL CROSSWALKS!" Sad, this world we live in. Have compassion for the students! Not all of them pay attention while walking, just look out for one's that don't!
As far as "Wise One," You own NOTHING! It's all in your head. No one in this world owns ANYTHING! Sorry, you just hit a nerve and you have to realize that "UVA STUDENT" is right! You may just need to go to UVA and get an education, yourself! For you to say "YOU" own that town, well let me tell you, I'm rolling on the floor, laughing my butt off, lol...... People like you, never see it for the way it is! When you come on my street, make sure YOU are NOT speeding and YOU better STOP at all crosswalks because, I'll be watching!
King Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Maybe the people in Johnson City, TN should stop having kids with their sisters.
Just Checking

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

UVa Student wrote:
Momma Boucher say look both ways before crossing the road.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Visitor wrote:
I have visited that school for the past 5 years! I always give pedestrians "the right of way!" They are there to earn their education and if they want to text while walking in the crosswalk, well that is their business. Maybe, YOU should slow your vehicle down because "IF" you hit someone while in the crosswalk, that shows you are either speeding, OR, you failed to obey the sign "STOP AT ALL CROSSWALKS!" Sad, this world we live in. Have compassion for the students! Not all of them pay attention while walking, just look out for one's that don't!
As far as "Wise One," You own NOTHING! It's all in your head. No one in this world owns ANYTHING! Sorry, you just hit a nerve and you have to realize that "UVA STUDENT" is right! You may just need to go to UVA and get an education, yourself! For you to say "YOU" own that town, well let me tell you, I'm rolling on the floor, laughing my butt off, lol...... People like you, never see it for the way it is! When you come on my street, make sure YOU are NOT speeding and YOU better STOP at all crosswalks because, I'll be watching!
What signs say "STOP AT ALL CROSSWALKS"? Most say "STOP AT CROSSWALK WHEN PEDESTRIAN ARE PRESENT".
Secondly, this problem is solved by both the drivers and the pedestrian working together to create a safe place for travel.
i.e., Pedestrians shouldn't be jumping out into crosswalks thinking cars can stop on a dime for them and look before they cross and Cars should travel at the posted speed limit in heavy-pedestrian zone.
Lefty

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Sorry, but if you hit a pedestrian at a crosswalk you are at fault. Yes, as a pedestrian you should look both ways and not assume that drivers are going to stop for you. But to imply that the guy who got hit jumped in front of the car or got what he deserved is asinine.

As a driver, you are operating a potentially deadly machine and you are responsible for the people you hurt with it.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Visitor wrote:
YOU SHOULD GET A LIFE AND GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM. There is a law on JAY WALKERS and most of the walkers who walks out in front of a car is JAY WALKING. I don't know if this guy was or not but if he wasn't then they would have chargd the driver on the spot so it seems like a JAY WALKING case. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS WALKING AROUND WITH BLINDERS ON AND YOU BETTER TAKE IT OFF BEFORE SOMEONE KNOCKS IT OFF. Maybe you should JAY WALK and some one take your lights out once and I bet you will think before you do it again. You must be DUMB AND DUMMER. It'a people like you that sets bad ideals for the young ones and it's people like you who have made this town like trash. Dumme. Don't hate Just saying. If you don't like it then DON'T READ IT. Ha!Ha!Ha.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Colburn wrote:
Kate,
Do the walk way have a hand sign for walkers like whice says stop or go?
Colburn

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Not only was he in the crosswalk, he was already in the middle of it. This particular crosswalk doesn't have a digital sign. He was in the right and for anyone to justify anyone being hit regardless of whether they were in the right of way or jaywalking is absolutely despicable and must be incapable of accepting the responsibilities of being a driver.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lyndhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crimora man charged with attempted murder (Jun '13) Wed Ole yeah 4
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Royal Orchard Castle (Nov '07) Jun '14 hollie 14
Shenandoah Acres???? (Jun '06) Jun '14 female 278
Hope clinic (Dec '12) Jun '14 Dear SCREWED 41
Police Look for Marijuana Bust Suspect (Apr '13) May '14 joe animal 9
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356

Search the Lyndhurst Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Lyndhurst Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Lyndhurst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lyndhurst News, Events & Info