1950's-1960's STRATFORD MANOR / EASTWOOD VILLAGE

Posted in the Lynchburg Forum

Since: Dec 08

Pikeville, KY

#1 Mar 17, 2009
I am trying to find people that once lived in Stratford Manor later named Eastwood Village. I have a thread up on city-data.com/forum/cincinnati

There has been alot of response and memories shared. I would like to see one get started on here. Hyden
Mark Vornsand

Prince Frederick, MD

#2 Apr 5, 2009
Hey Betty,

I lived in Stratford Mannor in around 1957. I remember as a child that it was a post war housing project apartments made of concrete block. Some people lived in little cottages. I used to find shopping carts and return them to the grocery to receive a 5 cent reward which I spent at the local drug store. I remember the buildings were connected buy long sidewalks perfect for bicycle riding. There was a nearby woods to get lost in. I remember someone stole my hula hoop there. I alway wondered what happened to that place. Was it torn down, turned into a slum or renovated. I have fond memories there. Mark

Since: Dec 08

Stanton, KY

#3 Apr 7, 2009
Mark, I'm glad you posted here, I remember all you said. It was fun on those sidewalks with a bike. It was fun all together there..alot of great memories. Did you go to school there? What street did you live on? We have alot of people and pictures on the citydata site, you ought to check it out, you might know some of the people on there. Betty
Tom Miller

United States

#5 Jul 27, 2011
I too lived in Stratford Mannor / Eastwood Village around 1964 with my brothers Darryl and Mike and sisters Rhonda, Tammy, and Hollie. I canít remember what street. I was in 3rd grade. I remember the small strip mall. I would bag groceries for tips. The nearby woods led to French Park (I believe). I got my first bike there and peddled it for the first time on one of those long sidewalks.
Dave Scherrer

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Sep 22, 2011
Hello there. I lived in Stratford Manor from April 1953 to February 1958. I guess we were among the first to live there. I was 5 at the time when we moved there. We lived at 5466 Eastwood Drive (in the east-west stretch toward Red Bank). We were just across the street from the farm, with that oh-so-wonderful aroma of cabbage! I'll never forget that. I met some kids there in our building, the Kennedys and the Winegars, who remained friends ever since. We didn't see each other since the late 60s, but we reconnected about 3 years ago.
russell kersey

Crestwood, KY

#7 Mar 9, 2013
We lived there 53-56,i attended East Oakey in the secnd grade,we rode the City Bus back and forth.Eastwood Elementary opened the next year,brand new school.Miss Walsh was my 3rd grade teacher.The woods was the place to go next to the baseball field.I remember a guy named Horn,Janet Johnson lived on Duck Creek i think and a girl named Hollis,John Shadell and his brother and i think Buddy Parker.
Brent Stricker

Holualoa, HI

#8 May 1, 2013
My family moved to 5092 Strathmore Drive, Apt B in August of 1959, and I began 1st grade at what was known then as Eastwood School. It was a brand new brick building on Duck Creek Road... I learned to read and do math in that building, and a whole lot of other things. Stratford Manor was a vibrant community. I remember the 4-apartment buildings being in groupds of 5, w/ one in the back (like the one I lived in), and 2 turned sideways on either side forming a small courtyard, then single family cottages on the ends. We were at the very end of Stratmore, and the farmer's cornfield was just beyond where the streeet ended. Someone had been seriously hurt in the farmer's pond just before we moved there, so the fear of God was put in us about swimming in it, but I spent plenty of time around it. There was a swimming pool where I learned to swim near the shopping center, a bookmobile that came around, an ice cream man, a bakery delivery truck, and tons of adventures in the surrounding woods. The last time I visited w/ my small child (he's 36 now, and i just turned 60 last week), I pretty much located where the apartment stood, and I think there was a school for the mentally challenged on that spot. We moved out in January of 1964 to Norwood, and I moved out of Cincinnati in June of 1967. The area fell on bad times and crime became rampant, and the city tore it down, I think in the late 1970's. The area where the interstate sits was once woods w/ a creek in it at the bottom, and my grandfather told me he played there around 1910 or so as a kid. I lived in the last house on Chandler that overlooked that valley from Madisonville in 1957, and played in the woods form the opposite angle. That house is no longer there, but I clearly remember the little house next to us, and it is now the last house on the street. So many memories of Stratford Manor, I could go on and on! I, too, remember going as a class across Duck Creek to the orphanage to attend bible school, and a couple of my classmates were residents there.
Rachel Davis

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Dec 1, 2013
My family moved to Stratford Manor in 1964. I was 4 years old. My older brother was in first grade and I had 2 younger sisters. I remember the place well and was just talking to my dad last night about it. There was a family across the hall from us with a girl and 2 boys. The oldest boy (he was about nine years old was sick and stayed in a wheel chair. I remember the Beatles gaining popularity while we were there and the girl telling me I was too young to like the Beatles. Ha ha. I remember the ice cream man and the playgrounds and the sidewalks. And the courtyard like settings.
Lisa James

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Apr 15, 2014
I remember Easwwood Village verry well. We lived at 5075 Srathmore. Our neighbors were the Lovetts. Misty, Kim and Buddy. I was in 3rd grade when we moved there. I had sooooooo much fun.I would love to know where the Fain familt went.
Ron Davis

Lebanon, OH

#11 Apr 15, 2014
Betty Hyden wrote:
I am trying to find people that once lived in Stratford Manor later named Eastwood Village. I have a thread up on city-data.com/forum/cincinnati
There has been alot of response and memories shared. I would li ke to see one get started ion here. Hyden
Ron Davis I lived in Stratford manor from 54-57. I lived on Kingsley Drive.I wa s 14 years old in 55.I remember the woods,the farm pond,thecabbage smell from the farm. We had great times riding bikes and checking out all the girls. I went to Withrow High in the 8th-10th before we moved. My younger brother went to Oakley elementary for 1 year,then Lyons Jr. High which was new in 55.
Jack Chandler

Spring, TX

#12 May 6, 2014
We lived in Stratford Manor from about '57-60 when I was 4-7 years old. We lived in the section beside the woods as well. My mom and dad (Jim and Nancy Chandler) and my sisters Joni and Jill. Our neighbors were Bob and Betty Tallman and son Billy and a daughter. One of my neighborhood friends was Ricky Kiebler. Several years later Ricky and I meet by chance...he as a Marine and me in the Navy on an aircraft carrier during the Vietnam War...small world.
mugshot

Owensboro, KY

#13 May 14, 2014
I remember going there on Fri nights and watching the white guys. Coming there and beating down all the black people. It was hilarious a lot better than going to the drive in
Susie Witherspoon

West Chester, OH

#14 Jul 21, 2014
Brent Stricker wrote:
My family moved to 5092 Strathmore Drive, Apt B in August of 1959, and I began 1st grade at what was known then as Eastwood School. It was a brand new brick building on Duck Creek Road... I learned to read and do math in that building, and a whole lot of other things. Stratford Manor was a vibrant community. I remember the 4-apartment buildings being in groupds of 5, w/ one in the back (like the one I lived in), and 2 turned sideways on either side forming a small courtyard, then single family cottages on the ends. We were at the very end of Stratmore, and the farmer's cornfield was just beyond where the streeet ended. Someone had been seriously hurt in the farmer's pond just before we moved there, so the fear of God was put in us about swimming in it, but I spent plenty of time around it. There was a swimming pool where I learned to swim near the shopping center, a bookmobile that came around, an ice cream man, a bakery delivery truck, and tons of adventures in the surrounding woods. The last time I visited w/ my small child (he's 36 now, and i just turned 60 last week), I pretty much located where the apartment stood, and I think there was a school for the mentally challenged on that spot. We moved out in January of 1964 to Norwood, and I moved out of Cincinnati in June of 1967. The area fell on bad times and crime became rampant, and the city tore it down, I think in the late 1970's. The area where the interstate sits was once woods w/ a creek in it at the bottom, and my grandfather told me he played there around 1910 or so as a kid. I lived in the last house on Chandler that overlooked that valley from Madisonville in 1957, and played in the woods form the opposite angle. That house is no longer there, but I clearly remember the little house next to us, and it is now the last house on the street. So many memories of Stratford Manor, I could go on and on! I, too, remember going as a class across Duck Creek to the orphanage to attend bible school, and a couple of my classmates were residents there.
hi Brent I was your upstairs neighbor in apt D. I remember all the same things you do. Our moms were very good friends & I remember sitting out front with Jan in the evenings where it was cool, playing with Kim & mom babysitting Lisa. In its day Stratford manor was a great place to live.
Susie Witherspoon

West Chester, OH

#15 Jul 21, 2014
I lived in Stratford Manor 1960 to 1966 at 5094 Strathmore Drive apt D. In its day there was no better place to live for a kid. Always someone to play with, great sidewalks for bikes & skates & woods to explore. Halloween was especially fun. We ran around by ourselves & hit 4 apts to each building. I've recently reconnected with people I knew when I lived at the Manor, it's like reconnecting with family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lynchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr WPWW 19,383
pedestrian that got hit Saturday 13 hr ralph parks 3
Child rapist: I deserve 25 years in prison (Oct '13) 15 hr sarge 3
Mike Waits 15 hr sarge 1
Boehner 18 hr Tea 1
Dangerous Motorcycle Gang in Cincinnati (Aug '09) 19 hr Dottie 8,085
Rediscovering Lost Photos From a Long-Ago West End Wed Great view 3
Lynchburg Dating
Find my Match

Lynchburg Jobs