Cash-strapped Harlan town appoints a ...

Cash-strapped Harlan town appoints a new mayor

There are 6 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from May 24, 2011, titled Cash-strapped Harlan town appoints a new mayor. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

Council members in the historic Harlan County coal town of Lynch appointed a new mayor Tuesday to replace an officeholder who resigned, citing stress as the city struggled to recover from thefts that left it in the red.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

Baxter

Richmond, KY

#1 May 25, 2011
If the town of Harlan County would really try to stop drugs then the thefts would go down.Every dollar that buys drugs is normally stolen from those who work.The drug dealers aren't paying any taxes on the money.Its a loss no matter how you look at it.Harlan can't get ahead because the non-working drug dealers keep everyone broke through stealing from their neighbors and not paying taxes.Drug dealers mainly spend their money out of town so people wont see the big piles of cash locally.How many people really work in Harlan? Very few.The kids grow up either planning to draw check or become a drug dealer.Better monitoring of drugs and doctors is what the legislators need to be figuring out.The Law isnt stopping it ether, theres too many dirty policeman out there and sheriffs getting kickbacks.
Benham

Lancaster, SC

#2 Jun 15, 2011
Lynch isn't going anywhere whith their debt and deadbeat city council who opposes surface mining. They can't expect companys to want to spend more money and time to mine a resource just because the all mighty counsil says so. Coal is the only thing in Lynch unless you want to start taxing all of the drugs coming in and out. Then you go and beg a foundation opposed to mtr for funds? Your double dipping and the coal industry should stop supporting you. Coal is the only thing that has kept Lynch alive anyways.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#3 May 30, 2012
F King Coal... King Coal has been making a mockery of poor Appalachians for years, trying to bully them into submission... can't coal co be responsible ? And shouldn't Lynch hold their coal out for as long as possible ? Dont sell it for 3 cents an acre... fight this Lynch ! They trying to lynch Lynch, and Lynchvillians shouldnt stand for it.
Paul

United States

#4 May 30, 2012
if they do anymore mtr up there, they will all have to move because the water won't be fit to give to dogs. there's no way in hell we can let black mountain be knocked down 500-600 feet just for some dirty ass rock we're moving away from anyway. I support the citizens of lynch, to hell with the coal company! I wish more ppl in Ky knew what mtr was really about, it affects everybody in the state, but it affects us here the most.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#5 May 30, 2012
Harlan County's historic labor struggle gives all of Appalachia a model from which to use to get justice from the coal companies... working men of the world unite !
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#6 May 30, 2012
Black Mountain is beautiful, and worth protecting. Cool name too. Fitting for Lynch, historically speaking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mountain_ (Kentucky)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lynch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota bathroom policy new 1 hr UawLIES 19
Stinky Dude - ED Paint 2 1 hr UawLIES 6
Toyota injured employees no pay 1 hr UawLIES 10
chuck bledsoe 4 hr sweet sunshine 6
James Ferguson 4 hr -SpeakUp- 2
Commercial Bank 4 hr goodness 5
wig eldridge 4 hr wig 17

Lynch Jobs

Personal Finance

Lynch Mortgages